PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Lee gets credit for what Ark Wong was already doing!

kal
01-20-2008, 06:14 AM
Nothing against Bruce Lee ... just find it ironic that he's credited with introducing kung fu in the USA and more importantly with being the first to teach it to non-Chinese, when GM Ark Wong was already doing that!

You always hear how Bruce Lee was derided and threatened by the Chinese MA community for teaching kung fu to caucasians and african-americans and how he alone stood up for the right to do this .... but wasn't Ark Wong doing so earlier?

hskwarrior
01-20-2008, 09:22 AM
there were three teachers doing it long before bruce lee.

Lau Bun,
Ark Wong
T.Y. Wong.

SIFU RON
01-20-2008, 01:36 PM
there were three teachers doing it long before bruce lee.

Lau Bun,
Ark Wong
T.Y. Wong.

RIGHT YOU ARE OLD BLOKE

hskwarrior
01-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Nah, Not into other forums.

I know Lau Bun was here teaching first, then its a toss up between T.Y.Wong and Ark Wong.

diego
01-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Nah, Not into other forums.

I know Lau Bun was here teaching first, then its a toss up between T.Y.Wong and Ark Wong.

What style did T.Y.Wong teach?.

hskwarrior
01-20-2008, 08:12 PM
I don't truly recall, but his book says its shaolin fut gar i think.

The Xia
01-20-2008, 09:57 PM
I don't truly recall, but his book says its shaolin fut gar i think.
http://kinmon.org/

Mike Sheng
01-22-2008, 12:23 PM
There was also Alan Lee in New York.I think why Bruce get the credit because he Became famous doing the Green Hornet at that time.Thats like Christoper Columbus supposely discovered America but there was someone before him.

cranky old man
01-22-2008, 02:20 PM
he took credit for a lot of things he didnt do. long before he was heard of we had clubs in toronto .

iron_silk
01-22-2008, 02:50 PM
I heard the actual reason for the kung fu community to be against Bruce Lee because he was really kocky and actually announced on a stage that he is the best and challenged anybody to take him on. That sounds really like him given the stories told by people who knew him.

They just made it into a race thing so Bruce Lee's immortal image is not in question.

Even though Bruce Lee is already impressive enough without all the stretched truths.

banditshaw
01-23-2008, 02:56 PM
In Hawaii Buck Sam Kong was teaching non Chinese since 1963 so he is up there as well.
Also Y.C. Wong in SF perhaps being one of the early Hung Gar teachers to teach non chinese the Hung Style on the West coast.

SIFU RON
01-23-2008, 04:55 PM
James Wing Woo is one the early pioneers of teaching Kung Fu to all races also.
He is not Jimmy Woo San Soo. James is still in North Hollywood.

Nebuchadnezzar
01-23-2008, 10:12 PM
He gets the credit because the masses are star struck. That movie that spun a bunch of half truths and lies (Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story), is more proof of that.

This movie claims that his back was broken in that fight and that he was attacked from behind.

Obviously it was part of the Linda Lee spin machine as she didn't prevent these things from going to screen without correction. But that's for another thread.

hskwarrior
01-23-2008, 10:36 PM
yeah there was a lot of HOLLYWOOD in that movie......

however, certain key points ARE correct. However, there is much left out that people don't know. for example, bruce lee sending his students out to test other schools.

bruce lee sent 1 or 2 our way only to receive them back bruised up pretty bad.

But, Professor Lau Bun was the first gung fu master to begin teaching it in the united states........in chinatown he was god. he didn't believe in teaching non chinese. and i know that my elders had a part in telling bruce NOT to teach outsiders.

yes, some of Prof. Lau Bun's students did teach non chinese, but it wasn't going to happen in HIS school.

And, yes, bruce lee did a good thing for gung fu by EXPOSING it to the american people. it was being taught under their noses thought for at least 40 years before his arrival. Actually, T.Y. Wong was on T.V. before bruce lee was.