PDA

View Full Version : Are foreigners accepted in Taoist and Buddhist monasteries?

Internal Flow
06-23-2001, 03:36 PM
Are foreigners accepted as monks in Taoist and Buddhist monasteries in China and Tibet? I was always curius about that. Can anybody tell me?

All things return to it as to their home, but it does not lord it over them.
Thus it may be called "The Great"

prana
06-24-2001, 02:07 AM
Without a doubt...

just a few simple rules to follow, we all do it.

Surrender fully and entirely to the sangha's when you do :)

What is occupying that corpse you call 'I' ?

Internal Flow
06-24-2001, 06:57 AM
Thanks, i always thought that only chinese or tibetans could be monks in these monasteries.

Internal Flow
06-24-2001, 07:01 AM
Oh, sorry for being repetitive but i just want to be sure.
They are accepted as visitors, or they can live there and be monks in the monasterie?

monkey mind
06-29-2001, 10:40 PM
I know of Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in India and Nepal that accept westerners as residents, eventually ordaining them if it works out, but I'd be surprised if the Chinese authorities would allow westerners to reside in Tibetan monasteries in Tibet. Shoot, even the Tibetans are barely able to maintain a monastic tradition in their own country.

Eight Diagram Boxer
07-01-2001, 02:51 PM
Westerners are not accepted into Taoist monastaries in China, I'm not sure about other places, but it is not like buddhist monastaries. You have to be Chinese to live at wudang for example. This is what I've been told anyway from Taoists.

Knowing others is wisdom, Knowing the self is enlightenment- Lao Tzu

shaolinboxer
07-01-2001, 04:42 PM
It is my impression that, in a true buddhist monastary, there are no "foreigners".

origenx
07-01-2001, 07:33 PM
Well, let's not forget that Buddhism was spread to China by a foreigner - Indians!

But Taoism was indigenous and home-grown...

joedoe
07-02-2001, 03:46 AM
You can become a Taoist monk/priest without having to be Chinese though you probably can't do it in China.

Talk to Fiercest Tiger about it - I think he has done it.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Eight Diagram Boxer
07-02-2001, 03:13 PM
There are Westerners who have been initiated to become Taoists, but ABandit is right, they are outside China.

Knowing others is wisdom, Knowing the self is enlightenment- Lao Tzu

shaolinboxer
07-02-2001, 08:09 PM
was that there can be no foreigners in a buddhist monastary because, when enveloped in the buddhist philosophy of the unity of man, there is nothing foreign

joedoe
07-03-2001, 06:10 AM
That is true in a perfect world :).

Internal Flow
07-03-2001, 06:17 AM
Thanks you for your replies :)
I think it is really awful rejecting people because of their nationality and as Lyle said it has nothing to do with Buddhism neither Taoism.
I was just curius (i was almost sure that they would not accept foreigners in China but wasnt sure about Tibet)

I take refuge in the Buddha
I take refuge in the dharma
I take refuge in the sangha

fiercest tiger
07-03-2001, 09:31 AM
i was ordained here in sydney 1992 in my taoist temple, i know i could have done it in hongkong also. if i can do it here and there i couldnt see a problem in china because i belong to the same sect!!

different sects may have different ways and rules when ordaining a person (forign) or local, we are all human beings and we are all brothers and sisters on this earth and this life time! ;)

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Internal Flow
07-03-2001, 06:21 PM
Are there Taoist temples in Sydney?

They all rely on Prana as the rays rely on the center of the wheel: The Rks, the Yajus, the Samans, the Ksatriyas and the Brahmanas,

joedoe
07-04-2001, 04:49 AM
There are all sorts of place of worship in Sydney. It's a very cosmopolitan city :)

fiercest tiger
07-04-2001, 05:00 AM
i even do some devil worshipping on my nights off. i love sydney!! :D

amid tor fut

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Internal Flow
07-04-2001, 06:06 AM
And something else, it has not much to do with the topic though. The Nepali language spoken in Nepal is the same with Pali? ( Nepali = Pali?)

They all rely on Prana as the rays rely on the center of the wheel: The Rks, the Yajus, the Samans, the Ksatriyas and the Brahmanas.

joedoe
07-04-2001, 08:50 AM
You can come around to my place for a blood sacrifice sometime then. Bring your own goat. :)

fiercest tiger
07-04-2001, 01:04 PM
ILL BRING MY ANTIQUE KWAN DAO :p

YOU CAN GO 1ST SHOUT :D

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

monkey mind
07-08-2001, 03:18 AM
They are different languages. Pali, the traditional language of Theravada Buddhism, is a literary language, related to Sanskrit, dating roughly from around the start of the current era (give or take a couple of centuries). Nepali is a modern language, descended from Sanskrit and so loosely related to Pali, but very different in terms of its grammar, phonetics, etc. I've actually studied both Pali & Nepali - Indian languages are kind of a thing for me (to the confusion of friends and family) so let me know if you have other similar questions. Maybe I could confuse you too?

Internal Flow
07-08-2001, 06:58 AM
Thank you, i thought nobody would answer that question.
What about, wich is the main language in India?
(Sanskrit? Or if there are different languages writting remains the same?)
What language is spoken in Benares?

They all rely on Prana as the rays rely on the center of the wheel: The Rks, the Yajus, the Samans, the Ksatriyas and the Brahmanas.

bearpaw
07-13-2001, 01:45 PM
Pardon my ingorance, but why would Taoists need a temple? Except maybe to get together to "hang out" but that could be done almost any where.