PDA

View Full Version : Does Lama have any San Zhen/Sam Chien like sets?

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-23-2008, 04:06 AM
I am wondering if it has dynamic tension sets similar to white crane. If so, are there any Youtube (or other) clips that show what a typical Lama style dynamic tension set would be like?

Lama Pai Sifu
01-23-2008, 07:33 AM
We do have Heih Gung sets. They do have Dynamic Tension segments.

I will try to post some segments soon.

ngokfei
01-23-2008, 08:08 AM
IMO Dynamic Tension exercises/sets are probably going against the actual principles of Lama which at times resembles Northern Styles focusing on Springy linking energy.

yeah, CTS taught some really intense Hei Gong routines.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-23-2008, 08:55 AM
I am curious if Lama has anything like this in it:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=jmz3bwTiAxw

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6WZBKD2w

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=v7cG_DKeZII

I am particularly curious if Lama has something that teaches the same Sink, Swollow, Float, Spit concept of body mechanics that San Zhen/Sam Chien teaches; more so than dynamic tension, or similar choreographed routines persay.

I know most of the vids I showed don't show the mechanics well, but the footage I have of these sets done at a very high level are private and I am not supposed to be sharing them or spreading them around; so I did the next best thing and used the closest I could find on Youtube.

jdhowland
01-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Of course, there is nothing directly related to "three battles"-type training in Lama. Our branch does have an "Ng Ying Kyuhn" which probably derives from the Hung tradition. It obviously doesn't fit with our priniples and is not well liked among my sihing-dai. Most of us dropped it in the '70s. Hop Ga retains some "dynamic tension" movements.

Lama does not emphasise the concept of "ging." It is there to be discovered, but we don't insist on a particular number of sensations. The "float, sink, swallow, spit" is not a part of our teaching but something very similar exists in our wrestling moves. I was taught "eating" and "spitting" as a combination within our Kau Da form.

cjurakpt
01-23-2008, 02:18 PM
I am particularly curious if Lama has something that teaches the same Sink, Swollow, Float, Spit concept of body mechanics that San Zhen/Sam Chien teaches; more so than dynamic tension, or similar choreographed routines persay.

well, if you consider that the above skills are predicated on fighting in a bridging-based context, and if lama is "anti-bridging", then logically it would follow that it's not going to devote much, if any, time to training that skill set;

ngokfei
01-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Those attributes fall mainly in the short handed Hak Ga styles. I only know a few intermediate lama sets so you'd have to ask the likes of David or mike.

the Ng Ying Kuen set is attributed to Wong Fei Hung, the version I saw done by David is really cool and gives a nice view into old style Hung Ga. In many ways very similar to the Hung performed in Jow Ga.

Most styles utilize a bridging skill approach. I was ammused when I was enlightened on how Northern Styles utilize the bridging method through their footwork and low kicks (ie: tan Tui's various kicking methods)

I saw alot of nice ging methods in Lama's Needle in Cotton set which is much longer than the White Crane's version I saw in SF in 93.

eric

ironfists
01-23-2008, 10:17 PM
well, if you consider that the above skills are predicated on fighting in a bridging-based context, and if lama is "anti-bridging", then logically it would follow that it's not going to devote much, if any, time to training that skill set;

What is "anti-bridging" - you coined this term ?

sanjuro_ronin
01-24-2008, 05:29 AM
Any "dynamic tension" set (see: isokinetics) will increase strength along the full range of motion being trained.
They don't have to be "bridge oriented" at all, but, if a system tends to favour quick muliple strike combos over multiple "one shot kills", it could be "counter productive".