PDA

View Full Version : fut gar?

htowndragon
01-24-2008, 12:29 PM
seems like a lot of styles are named "fut gar"

theres the buk sing fut gar
in fact, a lot of choy lee fut lines were supposedly originally called ":fut gar"
theres TY wongs fut gar
theres the fut gar that my sifu learned from Mah Sek as well as one other dude

the fut gar i saw looked like Choy lee fut to me

so are these all stemmed from the same "fut gar" system? or were they independently named?

hskwarrior
01-24-2008, 01:49 PM
you know when i was in fut san, this guy did fut ga, and i thought it was choy lee fut too. it made sense to me that jeong yim's clf really does have the fut in his choy lee fut.

brothernumber9
01-24-2008, 02:00 PM
I only have a hunch. But I think Fut Ga is and was a generic term for teachings passed down that originated at some point at Shaolin, since Shaolin was widely considered the only fighting buddhist temple(s), although I don't know if Lama is also buddhist, as well as other western temples.

As time passed bye the name stuck with the teachings, although the methods taught varied quite a bit. The Fut Ga of T.Y. Wong is quite different from the Fut Ga of Arthur and Harlan Lee, both of which seem as much different as similar to Fut Ga Jing Jong (sp?) aka Choy Lay Fut.

hskwarrior
01-24-2008, 02:22 PM
The fut Ga i saw in fut san had alot of panther fists and was really fast. it flowed just like clf.

Fut Ga Jing Jong according to some of our elders was supposed to be the real name of what Jeong Hung Sing was teaching before it got labled as CLF. I also heard it was called Hung Sing Kuen.

From these elders was said that the name CLF wasn't used until like the 3rd generation.

jdhowland
01-24-2008, 05:14 PM
I think "faht ga" is generic buddhist from a particular period. My interpretation of CLF is that it means "Faht Ga with added Choy Ga and Lei Ga interpretations."

My Bak Sing teacher, Stan Mak, told me that his gung fu brother came up with "Bak Sing Fut Ga" for his own reasons. But I speculate it came from something Tam Fei Pang said about their origins.

And yes--Lama Pai comes from Buddhist sources.

SifuChow
01-25-2008, 05:12 PM
There is definitely some confusion here. The main style I teach at my school is called Fut Gar but the term Fut Gar can also be used as a more generic term as well. It means Buddha Family style which I have seen used as a generic description of where a style came from or in some cases as the name of the style.

If it were not used as a generic description, you would still find that there are multiple styles that are named Fut Gar. The main way I differentiate between them is to look at what forms are taught and also where they claim to have their origins. My style of Fut Gar was developed by Leung Tin Chiu. There are few schools in the world that teach our Fut Gar style. My Sifu (Chen Rong En or Chen Wing Yun depending on dialect) is known by many as the last person that learned the entire style (forms, techniques and application) who is still teaching.

Steeeve
01-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Richard

Ypou dont learned under GM Chan Tai San/???

Steeve

SifuChow
01-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Richard

Ypou dont learned under GM Chan Tai San/???

Steeve

Yes, you are correct. I was trained and became an instructor under GM Chan Tai San. I actually recently explained the connection between my training with Chan Tai San and my training with Chen Rong En in my blog. Here it is if you are interested. (http://sifuchow.blogspot.com/2007/12/chan-tai-san-and-chen-rong-en-what-is.html) The picture at the top is my brother with our 2 instructors when we were introduced.

Steeeve
01-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Richard

Does your fut ga is like the fut ga of the late GM lun Dai Yong of Hawwaii....since the fut ga is a very old style ...we could find it in a lot of style today ....

Ur in Toronto Canada.....right.... im in ottawa Canada.....

Whats the charasteristic of ur Fut Ga .....I mean for give a short explainaition...

Sorry my english is not very good ....try my best

SifuChow
01-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Yes, I teach in Toronto in the Chinatown area. I have been in Ottawa a few times for tournaments, the last time I was there was at the World Kobudo Championships in 2006. If you were there, I was the head referee for the Kung Fu portion of the tournament in the forms and free fighting divisions.

I have seen some websites referencing Fut Gar in Hawaii in the past. The Fut Gar they speak about is different from what I teach. It is difficult to discuss any style briefly. Some of the basic characteristics you will see are:

Stances will be slightly narrower than many other Southern styles
You will not see a front/bow stance (Gung Bo) in any of the empty hand forms
More senior students will be constantly moving their feet during sparring
Power generation is from turning the waist while pulling back with your non-striking arm (not necessarily into a traditional chamber position)

My Fut Gar style is well known for the Flying Dragon Staff Form which I am told was known as the king of staff forms in China.

I hope that helps give you a bit more of an idea about this style of Fut Gar.

Steeeve
01-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Thank Richard

When you said no Gong bo....you mean a variation of the horse stance ...with the rear leg bend ...a kind of front stance but with the rear leg bent ....difficult to explain....:)

Power generation is from turning the waist while pulling back with your non-striking arm (not necessarily into a traditional chamber position

your alive hand or non striking hand came in front of the body ....a guarding or check hand hand.....? to use modern term

Regard

Steeve

Steeeve
01-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Here ur GM

Thats video is from you .....in you tube

Thank to Share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4J_PaAfr0k

here some application of the Flying dragon staff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3w7BfRGRvc

Steeve

SifuChow
01-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Thank Richard

When you said no Gong bo....you mean a variation of the horse stance ...with the rear leg bend ...a kind of front stance but with the rear leg bent ....difficult to explain....:)

Power generation is from turning the waist while pulling back with your non-striking arm (not necessarily into a traditional chamber position

your alive hand or non striking hand came in front of the body ....a guarding or check hand hand.....? to use modern term

Regard

Steeve

Correct, no front stance is used in hand forms (we do use them in weapons forms) and instead our style of Fut Gar uses a Yee Gee Bo which looks similar to a horse stance but with your body turned to the side.

The non striking hand is pulled backwards like throwing an elbow to the back while striking to the front. On some techniques you will see it in front of the body like a check hand.

SifuChow
01-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Here ur GM

Thats video is from you .....in you tube

Thank to Share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4J_PaAfr0k

here some application of the Flying dragon staff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3w7BfRGRvc

Steeve

Yes, that video was filmed while Sifu was at my class and decided that he would demonstrate one of the forms for the class. He is about 83 years old but is still very happy to show a form when I ask. His real love is talking about fighting theory of each technique.