PDA

View Full Version : Martial Art patron Saint

Panther
07-04-2001, 07:12 AM
Who was Kuan Yu(Kuan Ti)? I heard that he was the patron saint of the martial arts. What special powers did he possess?It is my understanding that he was the god of war? could someone give me more details on this saint?when should he be prayed to or worshipped?

joedoe
07-04-2001, 08:53 AM
Kuan Yu, Kuan Ti, Kuan Kung, was a historical figure (General Kuan) who was famous for his use of the Kwan Do. His martial prowess was legendary even during his own lifetime, hence his elevation to god or saint status.

I think (I am not sure about this) that the only reason he was defeated was because of betrayal by a subordinate general.

Unfortunately I cannot give you more detail than that. I cannot remember off the top of my head the dynasty he lived in, nor which province he was from.

I don't know about details of worship :(.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

eightgates
07-04-2001, 01:59 PM
The story of Kuan Yu takes place during the period of the Three Kingdoms (Wei, Wu and Shu) which followed after the fall of the Han dynasty. It is thought that Kuan Yu was born in present day Shansi province around 162 A.D. and lived to the year 220 A.D. His original given name was Chang Sheng and was also known as Shou Chang and Yun Chang. He made his livelihood as a beancurd seller, but had to flee the province after killing a magistrate who had forced the daughter of an aged couple to become his concubine. While escaping into neighboring Shensi province, he had to cross a mountain pass (or "kuan" in Chinese) where it is said that he saw his reflection in a brook and noticed that his face had changed completely. When he came across the frontier guards, he fooled them into letting him proceed on by telling them his name was Kuan Yu ("Pass of the Yu family"). Later on, Kuan Yu met Liu Pei and Chang Fei and together, they made the famous oath of martial brotherhood in Chang Fei's peach orchard. Eventually, Kuan Yu was captured and executed by Sun Chuan, emperor of the Wu kingdom. During the Sung dynasty, Kuan Yu was elevated to the title of Duke (Kuan Kung). Then in the Ming dynasty, Emperor Wan Li awarded him the title "Supporter of Heaven and Protector of the Kingdom" and became "Kuan, the Supreme Ruler of the Universe" or Kuan Ti. For more stories about his exploits, read the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms."

Best wishes,
Eightgate

Eight Diagram Boxer
07-05-2001, 01:34 PM
another patron saint of martial arts, internal arts specifically is Xuan Wu, he attained immortality at Wudang mountain, and so it is named after him. Wudang means "only Xuan Wu deserves it". He's also known as the Dark Lord of the North.

Knowing others is wisdom, Knowing the self is enlightenment- Lao Tzu

Panther
07-08-2001, 04:34 AM
So could you tell me more about xuan wu?

Eight Diagram Boxer
07-09-2001, 07:38 PM
Dark Lord of the North. Lord Xuan Wu (variously called The Dark Lord of the North, The Lord of True Martiality, the North Lord Xuan Wu, Lord Black, The Lord of Black Martiality, etc.) is one of the most widely revered Gods of traditional China, ranking in popularity behind only Guan Yin and Guan Gong. The God is usually depicted in black robes, holding a sword and sometimes wearing a jade belt. His long black hair flows freely down his back. Lord Xuan Wu is always depicted with a tortoise and a snake, sometimes beneath one of his feet. He is revered as a powerful God, able to control the elements (worshipped by those wishing to avoid fires), and capable of great magic. He is particularly revered by martial artists, and is the 'patron saint' of Wudang Mountain in China's Hubei Province, where he allegedly attained immortality. The name "wudang" roughly translates as "only Xuan Wu deserves it."
from tao resource

Knowing others is wisdom, Knowing the self is enlightenment- Lao Tzu