PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comments from Grandmaster Ip Ching

El Zorro 71
01-26-2008, 04:54 PM
There are some masters who proclaim that they teach Ip Ching Wing Chun as he himself teaches. Obviously they have added things to the system and have not consulted GrandMaster Ip Ching. So it seems that he is setting the record straight, which is good. I'm sure that alot of you would agree, there are individual out there who disrespect their teachers in that fashion. So Sad that it has to come to this.

Here are the links for the community to view

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIb0NmbvTgM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNTvrSetWW4&feature=related

reneritchie
01-27-2008, 07:14 PM
I don't know anything about this specific situation, nor do I have interest in the specifics, but there's a great old Kung Fu parable that applies to all these situations:

--

"Master, I wish to open a school, may I use your name?"

"Disciple, why not use your own name?"

"Master, your name would attract more students, and intimidate those who would challenge me."

"Disciple, if your own name doesn't attract sufficient students, and your own skill doesn't intimidate would-be challenges, perhaps you are not yet ready to open your own school."

--

Bottom line, everyone teaches and applies everything differently. We aren't Agent Smith Matrix clones. Trying to preserve WCK is like trying to take a slice out of a river: A waste of time and a missing of point.

All great masters of the past evolved their art naturally over time. The obsession to preserve one slender moment of that evolution is a type of procrastination, of avoidance of the responsibility to give back as much as you received. To return to the art.

It's like a 2d photograph, a single still frame when the whole video, the whole 3d world, is just one step back and one shift of perception over.

The rest is just BS politics.

If you stick around long enough, the same people have the same problems (one student represents them... no, no.. another one... no, not them either... and the previous one was bad... not as bad as the previous one to them, or the next one when they become the previous one). Past behavior is the best indicator of future behavior. What happens to previous person before will happen to the next person soon. But that's the parable about the monk giving the scorpion a ride across the river, and a parable for a nother thread...

LoneTiger108
01-28-2008, 03:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIb0NmbvTgM

No Mui Faa Jong in Wing Chun?? Maybe not in the modern era, but I do believe that this concept is fundamental to Wing Chun :confused:

Why do many schools use the Mui Faa (Plum Flower) within their logo?

Mr Punch
01-28-2008, 04:45 AM
Steady the buffs Tigger mate, I take it he's only speaking for himself, his line, and what he was taught by Yip Man. I didn't see any claims of grandmastery of all wing chun in there.

Maybe Yip Man took it out... maybe he didn't learn it... another thread maybe?

tjwingchun
01-28-2008, 07:38 AM
[QUOTE=reneritchie;837564]
The rest is just BS politics.

QUOTE]

Ditto

LoneTiger108
01-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Steady the buffs Tigger mate, I take it he's only speaking for himself, his line, and what he was taught by Yip Man.

No he wasn't Mr Punch :cool: Sounded like he was saying that the way the WMForm was practised in general, with sliding footwork and turning stances, that it would never have been practised on a pole of wood! I agree with the Grandmaster tag though, he never came across like that when I met him either.

Just a common label for beginners who don't know the history imo...

rogerclf1
01-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Hey Just curious. What was it Ip Ching said in the video. I am at work and my youtube is blocked from access. Thanks.

chisauking
01-28-2008, 02:11 PM
roger asked: Hey Just curious. What was it Ip Ching said in the video. I am at work and my youtube is blocked from access. Thanks.

csK: Let me put it this way, he didn't say or implied anything negative. I only watched the clip once, but I think I'd remembered him saying his father only taught one student the mui-fa jong.

rogerclf1
01-30-2008, 06:27 AM
Ok thanks.