PDA

View Full Version : sow choy training question

hulkout
01-27-2008, 05:22 AM
How do you train the sow choy on a heavy bag? Right now, I'm just learning the basic Choy Lay Fut techniques and forms in the air, but I've done Wing Chun and Western Boxing for years. In both arts, when you punch, you retract the fist back quickly. But in Choy Lay Fut, I've been taught to punch the sow choy through the target at a 45 degree downward angle all the way around to the other side of my body. I'd like to work the gwa choys and sow choys into my heavy bag combinations but it doesn't seem to work very well on the heavy bag. Any tips would be appreciated.

Lama Pai Sifu
01-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Not really a good technique to practice on heavy bags, due to potential hyperextension of the elbow. Try to get a buddy and have him hold mitts/pads, they'll work better. Best of luck.

Peace.

diego
01-27-2008, 08:42 AM
Not really a good technique to practice on heavy bags, due to potential hyperextension of the elbow. Try to get a buddy and have him hold mitts/pads, they'll work better. Best of luck.

Peace.

I read your post and thought "Hey, I always use it on the heavybag"...you right though...oddly I only hit with my knuckles when I'm warming up so I isolate the elbow joint...when I'm pumped I use the wrist and forearm and just clothesline condition it:)...I naturally realized not to hyperextend the elbow, but I don't ever recall being aware of that until now...wierd

hskwarrior
01-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Actually,

Practicing Sow Choy's On A Heavy Bag Would Be Your Best Bet In Getting Closer To The Real Thing.

At My School, We Have A Banana Bag, And I Use It To Practice Things Like Sow Gerk, Kwa Sow Chop And Such......but When It Comes To Sow Choy's The Banana Bag Is Really Your Best Bet Aside From Thai Pads. I USE THE BAG FULL SPEED, FULL POWER AND RARELY DO I GET HURT.

Yes If Done Wrong, You Can Hyper-extend Your Elbow, But You Are Never To Have A Completely Straight Arm When Doing A Sow Choy Anyway.

Start Out Slow Until You Build Up A Tolerance And Get An Idea How To Do It Without Injuring Your Elbow. If You Do It Right, Your Elbows Would Be Safe.

CLFNole
01-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Frank is right the bannana bag is a good idea because it isn't so wide like a heavy bag. You can sow choy the ching jong a bit but I wouldn't recommend it without proper conditioning. Pairing with a partner with hand type bags/mits is your best bet early on.

nospam
01-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Step into the bag and slam it. If you're using your hand as the point of impact then - duh - ya you'll get a mojo mammajamma. If you use the inside of your forearm with a slightly bent elbow then step into the bag 45 degrees (this can vary) and throw your hip fast and hard into the bag timing your strike accordingly.

Nuttn like a full force, properly thrown sow choy, I say. Can you say: devastating..

nospam
:cool: