View Full Version : wing chun core cycles

kung fu fighter
01-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Are these the core cycles of wing chun?

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/training-example/1902441572

LoneTiger108
01-28-2008, 02:50 AM
Tough question...

Lots of yumyeurng (yinyang) understanding here and a typical gaan sau rotation. Interesting puches at the end could indicate a Pien San or mainland influence?

As for 'the' cycles of Wing Chun, I've always believed them to be called 'seeds'.

Mr Punch
01-28-2008, 04:55 AM
Never heard of 'cycles' or 'seeds' or 'core' anything in wing chun. Interesting. Please tell me more!

The vid was OK. Bit wet if you ask me. But maybe over the years my chun has been missing some essential wafting.

tjwingchun
01-28-2008, 07:42 AM
The vid was OK. Bit wet if you ask me. But maybe over the years my chun has been missing some essential wafting.

Looked like a right "wafter" to me, understand why he kept his face out of shot.:rolleyes:

LoneTiger108
01-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Never heard of 'cycles' or 'seeds' or 'core' anything in wing chun. Interesting. Please tell me more!

Haven't heard of the 'seeds' of Wing Chun?? Must be a Lee Shing thing then I suppose as I thought everyone used this term... :confused: :eek:

Would explain a few things! What are your main three arm positions Mr Punch?

tjwingchun
01-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Three "seeds" of Wing Chun

Bong Sau

Tan Sau

Fook Sau

My interpertation.

Tan Sau = Understanding elbow in "unmovable" position.

Bong Sau = Understanding elbow in raised position.

Fook Sau = Understanding arm in relaxed state.

LoneTiger108
01-28-2008, 08:32 AM
Interesting Trevor! The order you put the seeds in, ye olde creative/destructive cycles ;)

Although you've now given Mr Punch the answer and spoilt my fun :mad:

drleungjohn
01-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Perfect example of how we must use like terms-or explain them-to communicate properly with each other-

As an example-In front of TCM Dr's-

In TCM,if I say stimulate St36 most all would understand it because they speak the "language"-but if I say ponto-medullary junction-it means nothing--

3 SEEDS-THE TAN -BONG-FOOK MOVEMENTS AND HOW THINGS DEVELOP OR GROW OUT OF THEM==

reneritchie
01-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Cycles are a way of expressing, in English, the idea of Yum/Yeung (Yin/Yang) behind Chinese thought, and hence martial development.

Core, or basic, cycles would include things like up/down, inside/outside, and various hybrids thereof (folding, twining, etc.)

Tan/Fook would be, perhaps, the classic WCK example.

drleungjohn
01-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Kudos to the nice pic in this months issue of KF magazine!!

Mr Punch
01-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Would explain a few things! What are your main three arm positions Mr Punch?In yer face, round yer neck and... in yer face again!

Oh, OK, rumbled...

yeah, well I wouldn't have given you much fun; of course bong tan fuk are the three positions I was taught... never heard them called seeds or anything other than 'the three positions' or words of that ilk before though...

Thanks chaps, I live and learn!

LoneTiger108
01-28-2008, 09:15 AM
... of course bong tan fuk are the three positions I was taught...

Quite glad to hear that Mr Punch ;) Creative cycle too, not so familiar in the Wing Chun World inho...

reneritchie
01-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Kudos to the nice pic in this months issue of KF magazine!!

Exqueeze me? What's it about? Did I get the cover? Is it me and Megan Fox again??

kung fu fighter
01-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Cycles are a way of expressing, in English, the idea of Yum/Yeung (Yin/Yang) behind Chinese thought, and hence martial development.

Core, or basic, cycles would include things like up/down, inside/outside, and various hybrids thereof (folding, twining, etc.)

Tan/Fook would be, perhaps, the classic WCK example.

Rene's discription is correct!

Here is a cho Gar wing chun master demoing 4 of his core cycles after the first time he gets up from sitting!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HxQz4rJqpvg

drleungjohn
01-28-2008, 06:29 PM
it's about the WVTAA Award--

reneritchie
01-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Awesome! I have to go check it out (in about 6-8 weeks when it filters through the snow up into Canada, no doubt :( )

Who's on the cover?

drleungjohn
01-28-2008, 10:56 PM
I know you were hoping it was another pic of you and Meghan Fox in your love nest-
but it's one of me,Cash Warren and Jessica Alba with the emblazoned heading of "Whose love child?' with a big question mark on it.

Baji Grandmaster Qian Yuanze

kung fu fighter
01-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Here is something Brian Scanlon wrote about the core cycles

"Bot Sik Dan Da is simply the 8 core Cycles paired with striking. What is considered "core cycles" may differ from branch to branch , especialy if there is non WCK influence in the mix."

LoneTiger108
01-29-2008, 02:57 AM
"Bot Sik Dan Da is simply the 8 core Cycles paired with striking. What is considered "core cycles" may differ from branch to branch , especialy if there is non WCK influence in the mix."

Sounds like an empty-handed Eight Slashing Knife concept to me. 8 Core cycles of key signature postures...

What lineage is this BSSD from? Non Ip Man?

Jim Roselando
01-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Wax On

Wax Off

:D

LoneTiger108
01-30-2008, 03:09 AM
Wax On

Wax Off

:D

:D :D :eek: Miyagi did come across my mind...

Jim Roselando
01-30-2008, 06:43 AM
I couldn't resist!

;)