PDA

View Full Version : 17 Annual Great Lakes Kung Fu Championships

ginosifu
01-28-2008, 06:46 AM
17TH ANNUAL GREAT LAKES KUNG FU CHAMPIONSHIPS & SHUAI-CHIAO / SAN SHOU NATIONALS

SATURDAY APRIL 19, 2008

CLEVELAND, OHIO

Presented by John H. Ervin Jr. and the SHAOLIN KUNG FU INSTITUTE

Traditional Northern and Southern Kung Fu Forms / Weapons

Continuous Light Contact Sparring

Shuai-Chiao (Chinese Grappling)

San Shou (Chinese Full Contact Fighting)

For registration and Hotel info

Contact John Ervin Jr.

216 587-KICK(3478)

Email: ginosifu@shaolininstitute.com

Web: http://www.shaolininstitute.com

Call Sifu Gino

Local Phone: 216 - 732 - 7757

We are open:

9AM -9PM Monday - Friday

9AM - 3PM Saturday

Eastern Standard Time Zone

Jeong
01-29-2008, 08:18 AM
I assume this is supposed to be April 19, 2008 (not 2007) right?

ginosifu
01-29-2008, 02:11 PM
2008 is the correct year

thanks

ginosifu :p

Three Harmonies
01-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Any big names coming in for seminars?
Thanks
Jake

BTW you have the wrong date all over the web! May want to change it to avoid confusion;):D

ginosifu
01-29-2008, 07:13 PM
GM David Chang (Grandson of Great Grand Matser Chang Tung Sheng) will be giving a SC Seminar on Sunday.

I will post any new updates on my website...

Ginosifu

Oso
01-29-2008, 07:52 PM
can you fill us in on the change back to the inclusion of forms?

Jake, you thinking about going? We'll be there...as if that's any sort of draw.... ;)

oh, Gino, you can edit your post if you want to change the date

ginosifu
01-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Well, the reason we are going back to forms is that Sifu Tony Yang (host of the Wutang Tournament) is holding his tournament in Las Vegas. The tournament was held every October in Akron, Ohio, but since we are close in Cleveland, alot of form competitors called my Sifu and asked were they can find a Kung Fu Tournament here in the Great Lakes region.

Back in early 90's we had most all competitors from Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Kentucky etc etc. As tournaments became more common and everybody was holding there own, competitors started going to tournaments in their own neighborhood and traveled less. So we kinda narrowed things down to what we do best - Shuai Chiao and San Shou.

So for anyone who thinks they can beat my students in Forms, Weapons, 2 person sets, continuous sparring, SC, San Shou.... I dare you come on down.

Thanks Oso

Ginosifu

Oso
01-30-2008, 10:24 AM
thanks for the info. ftr, I think it's cool to add it back in. when I was there in 2000 I was totally amazed at how effing huge an event it was.

I'm going to be doing my part whenever I talk to anyone to get more women out for the san shou. I've got one returning and one I hope to convince she could do ok in the beginner's bracket but we have to get more women involved in the fighting side.

ginosifu
02-03-2008, 04:51 PM
* GM David Chang *

Grandson of the great

Chang Tung Sheng

Will give a Shuai Chiao seminar

Sunday April 20, 2008

After the Tournament

Please call or email for reservations:

Call = John H. Ervin Jr. - 216 587-3478

Call = Gino Belfiore - 216 732-7757

Email: ginosifu@shaolininstitute.com

lkfmdc
02-04-2008, 07:30 AM
What are rules for San Shou? Boxing gloves or open finger? Ring, mat or lei tai? Knees?

Oso
02-04-2008, 09:01 AM
boxing gloves, headgear, chest gear, shin pads, mat, no knees in beginner division, not sure about open.

it was ran tournament style last year...best of 3, 2 minute rounds I think.

ring out rule: 2 ring out's in a round loses you the round.

ginosifu
02-04-2008, 06:06 PM
INTERNATIONAL SAN SHOU RULES
Edited in Nov. 97-2000 by Mark Wong

CHAPTER 3:COMPETITION AND OFFICIATING METHOD

Article 14 Methods of Attack and Defense
Apply any school of wushu’s attack and defend methods.

Article 15 Valid parts
The valid parts include the head, the trunk and the legs.

Article 16 Faults
1 Attack the opponents back of head, the neck, the throat, or the crotch.
2 Attack the opponent by using the head, the elbow, and the knee.
3 Continuous hits to the opponent’s head.
4 Use jointlock controls.
5 Make the opponent fall with the head over heels on the platform or deliberately smash or weigh down his opponent.
6 Attack the fallen down opponent (except the opponent who did so as a means of combat).
7 Take an initiative hold of the opponent (except for the defensive hold of the legs and counter-make-fall such as a single or double leg takedown.)

Article 17 Absolute Victory

1 In an event of wide disparity in technique between two sides and one side has obviously lost the defending ability, the judge (referee) on the platform may, with the approval of the head judge, proclaim the stronger side to be the winner of the bout. Dominance
2 A competitor will win the bout if his opponent is knocked down by a blow on a valid part and remains down for 10 seconds, or he can stand up but with abnormal consciousness.
3 Approved by the head judge, a competitor will win a bout if he injured by his opponent’s foul attack and has been certified by a doctor that he is unable to compete again.
4 In a round, if a competitor is twice off the platform (any part of the body has touched the ground), the other side will be the winner of the round.
5 In a round, a competitor is hit at the valid part and given an 8 seconds count twice, his opponent wins the round.
6 In a round, if a competitor applies the methods from the 2), 3), 4), 5) of article 18 and gains three points three times, he will win the round. Back sweep or throw

Article 18 Scoring Methods

1. Winning three (3) points
A competitor will win three (3) points if:
1 Punches, kicks, pushes or throws his opponent off the platform in a round.
If it is done twice in one round, you win the round.
2 Hit the opponent’s valid part (or down) by a spinning kick to the head or chest while remain standing.
3 Make the opponent fall down (any part of the body, except the feet, has touched the ground) by a forward sweep or a backward sweep, while remain standing.
4 Knock the opponent down by a leg kick, while remain standing.
5 Make the opponent fall by a instinctive counter technique (including a sacrifice throw) while dodging defensively.

2 Winning Two Points
A competitor will win two (2) points if:
1 His opponent has fallen/thrown down while he himself remains standing.
2 Kick the opponent in the trunk once by the legs.
3 The opponent has been given a warning once. Three (3)warnings you are disqualified.
4 All throws with thrower standing is two (2) points unless a high altitude (3pts) or if you fall
on opponent or lose balance (1pts)
3. Winning One Point
A competitor will win one (1) point if:
1 Hit the opponent on a valid part once by a hand techniques.
2 Hit the opponent on the head or the legs once by a leg technique.
3 When two sides show passivity in a fight for 8 seconds, the judge on the platform orders his the opponents to attack, but the opponent still remains passive for another 8 seconds after the order.
(After 2 admonish-cautions you are warned)
4 The opponent has been admonished (cautioned-warning) once.
5 When both sides apply methods to force the opponent down, the later falls down will gain one point.

4 No Point Awarded
No point will be awarded to either side when:
1 Two sides hit each other on valid parts at the same time or successively. (Best to step back & punch)
2 Both sides fall down or off the platform at the same time or successively.
3 Throw the opponent to the ground or off the platform after holding him for five seconds or more.
4 The opponent falls on the ground as a means of combat.
5 The opponent falls on the ground after a flying movement.
6 Two sides hit each other in a locked fight (clinch).
7 Hit the lower leg when the opponent defends by raising his knee.
8 Hit the valid part by a forward sweep or a backward sweep while being pressed down by the opponent.
9 No clear technique and no obvious hit at the valid parts.

Article 19 Fouls and Penalties
1. Technical Fouls
1 After the judge on the platform (referee) signals the start, a competitor deliberately slows his march onto the platform or starts his fight after 5 seconds. (2 calls is the limit)
2 Request for a time out when the competitor is at a disadvantage.
3 Ungentlemanlike behavior to the judge or disobedience to his decision.
4 Persistently shouting out loudly or impolitely during a fight to frighten or disturb ones opponent despite previous warnings by the judge.
5 Spit out the gum shield or loosen the protective gear on purpose in a fight.
6 Violate Article 9.

2. Personal fouls
1 Attack the opponent before the judge on the platform (referee) gives the start signal or after he gives the stop signal.
2 Use prohibited methods to attack.

3. Penalties (2pt deduct)
1 An admonition will be given for a technical or a minor personal foul; but a warning will be given for an obvious personal foul.
2 A competitor who has been penalized up to six (6) points in a match will be disqualified and his opponent will be the winner of the bout.
3 A competitor who intentionally hurts his opponent or commits a serious foul will be disqualified from the bout or the whole competition accordingly.
4 A competitor who is found guilty if doping and inhaling oxygen during a break , or employing trickery will be disqualified from the whole competition.

Article 20 Suspension of Fight
The judge on the platform will suspend the fight in any of the following cases:
1 A competitor has fallen down or off the platform.
2 A competitor is injured.
3 The competitors are locked in a confused fight (clinch) for more than two (or four) seconds.
4 Both competitors refrain from attacking, and one of them shows passivity for a duration of eight seconds.
5 The head judge comes up to the platform to solve problems. Or the coach throws in a towel.
6 The head judge or other judges have spotted danger in a fight.
7 The fight is interrupted by objective factors such as problems of lighting and arena.

Anyone can email me if you have questions about the San shou or Shuai Chiao Rules.

tgro719
02-29-2008, 08:02 PM
will there be divisions for internal styles (namely xing yi and tai ji)? if so, how will they be divided?

thanks

ginosifu
03-03-2008, 10:56 AM
The Divisions will be as follows:

Tai Chi beginners

Tai Chi Intermediate

Yang/Wu Advanced

Chen Advanced

Ch'ang tai Chi

Tai Chi Other Beg.

Tai Chi Other Inter.

Tai Chi Other Adv.

If there are enough Judges and enough people that want to do Other internal Divisions, like Bagua, Xingyi, etc etc. we will see the day of the tournament.

Ginosifu

Oso
04-17-2008, 08:31 PM
who's going?

I've got three of my students and myself, we'll be on the road tomorrow.

see ya there!

Suntzu
04-17-2008, 09:21 PM
copy that.... look for the crossfit shirt....

Oso
04-17-2008, 09:45 PM
check...look for the coolest new Peng Lai shirts to hit the streets...oh, and the fat dude in flip flops...

Oso
04-18-2008, 05:47 AM
hey, the serra/st. pierre fight is tomorrow night

Suntzu
04-18-2008, 06:52 AM
hey, the serra/st. pierre fight is tomorrow nightyes... must find a place to watch....

David Jamieson
04-18-2008, 07:26 AM
continuous hits to the head is a fault?

???

???

Suntzu
04-18-2008, 07:27 AM
that's international rules for u :cool:

Oso
04-20-2008, 06:18 PM
just rolled back in to AVL.

long, long weekend.

good to see a couple of KFM faces: Suntzu & stonewarrior...Shifu Mike Biggie, Shifu James Rodgers (sorry, can't remember your alias's here) and Shifu Brian Bateman. Shifu Batemen had a strong team of San Shou folks.

Bigger turnout for San Shou than last year, my folks got more fights for sure this year. 3-4 each between SC and SS.

My girl lost both her SC bouts and won her SS but against a girl who was giving up like 25 pounds...props to her for fighting up a weight class. I asked about my girl fighting the bigger girls but not until after the decision had been made regarding the bouts so they said no. We've got to get more women interested in fighting. There were a lot of girls doing SC but only 4 total for SS.

My middleweight went 1-2 in the SC and 0-1 in SS and my heavy lost both his SC bouts and went 1-1 in SS.

Sorry we missed everyone afterwards, we ended up at Jillian's over on Cedar and they initially said 'Yes' when I asked if they had the UFC playing later but then it only ended up being the boxing fight on HBO. By that time, we had food ordered and a beer half gone...needless to say we weren't going anywhere else at that point.

We had fun and as usual a well run event. Thanks to Sifu Ervin and Sifu Belifore for continuing to orchestrate it.

David Jamieson
04-20-2008, 06:20 PM
GSP pwned Serra btw and fwiw.

Canadians pwn again.

go gsp

:D

Oso
04-20-2008, 06:26 PM
cool, I didn't think Serra would beat him. I liked Serra vs. Hughes because I think Hughes is a bit self rightous but I like GSP better than Serra.

thanks.

Suntzu
04-20-2008, 07:54 PM
god **** with the ****ing spoilers!!!!!...... i had a blast.... one day i'm gonna do the SJ...... but i got the 'ring bug' again :) we'll see how far that goes :rolleyes:...d .

i wished I ended up at Jillians..... eat at burger king:(

uploading the videos now......

Oso
04-20-2008, 08:23 PM
I left two messages at the number on your card...but, yea, the eats around that expensive ass hotel sucked. luckily we found the starbucks and the bruegger's on the other side of the university earlier that day and headed back to the same direction.

just got my clips off the camera and getting ready to upload the first now

Suntzu
04-21-2008, 06:58 AM
i got the messages... too late tho..... one of my athlete was set on this Japanses restaurant...... that was closed by the time we got there :(

1st vid is me..... my 1st comp after a looooong lay off.... i like what i did well.... i understand tho why i lost :o but it was fun anyway..... know i know what i really need to work on.... and one of those is to get more coaching for myself.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEIgtT2C7p0

next is my athlete Dan..... this was his 2nd comp ever...... no one was in his weightclass at beginner..... so we bumped him up a class.... he ended up getting 2nd place.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksQzmUM7GVA

my other athlete, Brandon..... i'm waiting on a round by round breakdown of his vid....

color commentary and criticisms by my athlete Emily and my gf Nikki....

yu shan
04-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Oso

See any good Tanglang? You have a new school shirt, can you post a pic? Did you get to Mike Biggies school?

Oso
04-21-2008, 08:38 AM
no worries...we were wiped out anyways, it was a long ass day.

yu shan: not really a new one, just one w/o graphics. our school name on the front along with PLWJTLM. on the back, the mantis poem I like so much, the one with the line "like a swift clap of thunder'.

I have one for you, Shiye, Steve and Mike.

ginosifu
04-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks everyone for coming ! I hope everyone had a good time. I did not get to see most of you because I was judging SC.

Ginosifu :p

Codeboy
04-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Are you going to be posting any pics from the tournament on your website?

Oso
04-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Oso

See any good Tanglang? You have a new school shirt, can you post a pic? Did you get to Mike Biggies school?

no, i didn't get to Mike's. He drove up to hang out for a bit.

Sifu Gino, yea, it was a hectic day. If those kids keep at it they are going to be hella good down the road. (not that they aren't now)

Those two teen boys are already great players. There were several adult males, including my guy, who walked off the mat with some shocked looks on their faces after being beaten by a 13 year old. I look forward to following those two guys progress over the years.

Suntzu:

by my athlete Emily
the blonde? why didn't she compete? man, we got to get more girls willing to scrap.

lkfmdc
04-21-2008, 12:09 PM
that's international rules for u :cool:

Actually, that rule changed in 2007.... you guys need to keep up....

(still hate that format though, dear lord, put the knees back in already)

Oso
04-21-2008, 03:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/xiongfa

some clips are up now

stonewarrior67
04-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Gino My Compliments To You And Mr Ervin..it Was My First Attendance And Enjoyable. You Looked Busy Lugging Around Your Kid.
Oso, I Feel Bad For Not Introducing Myself Earlier But You Were Busy Watching Your Students Compete And I Didn't Want To Take Away From That. Also Forgive Me As I Was On A Clock And Had To Report Back Home As My Kitchen Pass Expired At 1300hrs And I Was In Hot H20 By Then. I Would Have Loved To Have Gone To Dinner With You And Talked Shop...next Year If You Attend Dinner Is On Me.
Jeng Shing Pings, Matt Gefland Was BESTED BY ERIC BROOKS TO TAKE 2ND PLACE LT HVYWT.
My Friend, Who Is Strong As An Ox, Placed 3RD In LT Heavy Weight. He Only Has Two Years Experience Being Trained By One Of Gm Chicoines Top Students.
All In All It Was A Great Time For All And Look Forward To Next Year.
From Ohio,
Stonewarrior

Suntzu
04-21-2008, 03:55 PM
the blonde? why didn't she compete? man, we got to get more girls willing to scrap.she's been away at school(1st year away at college).... hopefully i'll find something for her this summer.... she's definitly game tho....

Actually, that rule changed in 2007.... you guys need to keep up....
:eek: i am so out of the loops these days..... really i am..

ginosifu
04-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Stonewarrior67 thanks fot the compliments, my teacher trys hard to make the tournament good for everyone.
As far as my children, Grace and Joseph are the next killers I will unleash. Just gimme a few more years. Grace is only 20 months but she is already in the class room and does push ups better than adults I know !

I'm glad you guys enjoyed. Hopefully next year the road construction will be gone.

Ginosifu :p

Oso
04-21-2008, 06:06 PM
she's been away at school(1st year away at college).... hopefully i'll find something for her this summer.... she's definitly game tho....

cool, maybe next year. I want to do something again before then, maybe Shifu Rodger's event in October...but finances are tight. We are going to be in Charlotte on May 3rd for the CACMA event and Sylvia and Akeem will be fighting Lei Tai...we've got to add knees and elbows in over the next two weeks as well as the stinking headgear.

stonewarrior: that's cool, I know how it is. next time.

I've attached a group pic of the shuai chiao competitors for that day...pretty large group.