PDA

View Full Version : Dummy for heavy bag

couch
01-30-2008, 08:06 AM
You guys know where I can find that plastic dummy attachment with the three arms that goes around the heavy bag?

Thanks in advance,
Kenton Sefcik

sanjuro_ronin
01-30-2008, 08:10 AM
You guys know where I can find that plastic dummy attachment with the three arms that goes around the heavy bag?

Thanks in advance,
Kenton Sefcik

That things sucks, you are warned.

couch
01-30-2008, 08:16 AM
That things sucks, you are warned.

Perfect.

Now where can I buy one? ;)

Best,
Kenton Sefcik

sanjuro_ronin
01-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Perfect.

Now where can I buy one? ;)

Best,
Kenton Sefcik

I am not kidding bro, those things are useless, you'll be throwing away your cash.
They are flimsy and give you nothing of benefit.
You just end up with silly strap marks on your heavy bag.

Google "attach mate", that's what its called I think.

couch
01-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Gotcha

http://www.macho.com/productdetails.aspx?id=10000155&prodid=FTATTACH

Thanks,
Kenton Sefcik

PS...it's a hundred bucks? I could make it out of PVC for pennies!!!

sanjuro_ronin
01-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Gotcha

http://www.macho.com/productdetails.aspx?id=10000155&prodid=FTATTACH

Thanks,
Kenton Sefcik

PS...it's a hundred bucks? I could make it out of PVC for pennies!!!

IT SUCKS !!!
Just send me the money and I will go get a rub-n-tug, it will be the same thing for you, ie: you're out of that money, but I will feel a lot lighter ! :D

couch
01-30-2008, 08:36 AM
IT SUCKS !!!
Just send me the money and I will go get a rub-n-tug, it will be the same thing for you, ie: you're out of that money, but I will feel a lot lighter ! :D

That's funny.

A rub-n-tug is only $100.00 in Ontario...that might reflect East Coast prices, however I think the inflation...wait...I've said too much.

sanjuro_ronin
01-30-2008, 08:46 AM
The lack of ridgidity concerns me, not only from a WC point of view, but from a practcial MA training point of view.
The arms just "dangle there" it seems...

drleungjohn
01-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Guys-ok-rub n tug-terminology we can all understand-

Going rate in NY is 60 for the hour plus a 20-40 tip-but that's just for the RnT

this "dangle" and "lack of rigidity"-you really want to pair those phrases with RnT discourse?
I agree with Sanjuro's experience(with the attachmate)-it moved to much,couldn't block and hit effectively,etc-I think the martial arm might work out better for you--

drleungjohn
01-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Yes-I think the one Phil shows might be better- also

Gurokevin
01-30-2008, 12:22 PM
You can build a dummy for a whole lot less than that P.O.S.

sanjuro_ronin
01-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Guys-ok-rub n tug-terminology we can all understand-

Going rate in NY is 60 for the hour plus a 20-40 tip-but that's just for the RnT

this "dangle" and "lack of rigidity"-you really want to pair those phrases with RnT discourse?
I agree with Sanjuro's experience(with the attachmate)-it moved to much,couldn't block and hit effectively,etc-I think the martial arm might work out better for you--

lmao !
I don't like the martial arm because it doesn't allow for a wide range of motion around the striking area, being "half mooned" rather than round.

hulkout
01-31-2008, 07:33 PM
I've trained on the Mook Jong for years and while it is still excellent, I really have to recommend the Martialarm. The fact that it moves in my opinion makes it more effective for most but not all applications. If for example your tan sao is not correct with the back of your hand over the arm, you'll lose it. And if you do the pak sao improperly, your fingers will slip off the arm. However it does have limitations. You can't move around it to practice footwork. You can only advance and retreat, but this is good for entry techniques. Also, you can't practice gan sao (low block) since the arm is set in a high position. Personally I would recommend using it along with a traditional dummy. If you don't want to pay the big bucks, it is easy to make one out of PVC pipes. By using both, you get the best of both worlds. But under no circumstance should you buy the attachment for the heavy bag. For a while, I tried this so I could practice dummy movements at home on my Century Wavemaster. It totally sucked. I had to keep readjusting it and the arms moved around so much, it was just a waste of time. That was when I bought the Martialarm.

YungChun
02-01-2008, 04:04 AM
I wouldn't attach it to a heavy bag but I might attach it to a thick pole or tree.. Add some rope and a wooden leg and your cheap-o dummy is done and you're ready to save up for a good one while happily training away.. ;)

sifu garry
02-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Hi All,
I have posted some very interesting video footage of various Sifus from around China, demonstrating their forms and wooden dummy routines.

The forum is open to comments and discussion. Please feel free to make a constructive comment.

You can access my forum from:

www.shaolinjeeshinwingchun.com.au/jeeshin/wing_chun_about_us.html

Most forms are pre Yip Man lineage.

I hope you all enjoy the footage.

Regards
Sifu Garry