PDA

View Full Version : Asthma Cures?

icyninjabear
07-09-2001, 04:19 PM
Ok so I posted it else where, but the more replies the merrier (right?) ...

Does anyone know of any self healing techniques for asthma (especially Chi Gung or Acupressure)? Or does anyone have any personal info, that they wouldn't mind sharing, about how their asthma has been reduced or even cured by training in the internal martial arts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated for some thesis research that I'm doing.

Yours,

Icypolarbear :-)

batesy
07-10-2001, 09:35 PM
This is a subject close to my heart as a long suffering asthmatic (28 years) and martial arts student.

On the advice of Erle Montaigue I do lots of repetitions of the grasp sparrows tail section from the Yang taiji form. This does seem to loosen phlegm which is a by-product of asthma.

My accupuncturist tells me that i need to develop yin chi and so on the advice of my bagua teacher I do the following. stand feet shoulder width apart, arms by your sides palms up. Breath in as you raise the palms up at the side of your body. At shoulder height begin to bring the hands in towards the top of the head. At this stage take the intention to the top of the head. As you breath out and push the hands down the front of the body imagine the intention travelling down through the body. One visualisation is to think of the fingers caressing the spine on the way down.

I've also been told that Metal from Hsing I is good for asthma as it's the element associated with the lung.

Other thoughts, give up dairy products and alcohol and get a good accupuncturist.

Can't claim to be cured, but i have had three ventolin (reliver) free months this year for the first time in my life.

honorisc
07-13-2001, 02:00 AM
Elbow under shoulder; open hand and elbow on level with each other so that the arm is parallel with the ground; fingers naturally spread; thumb up; palm facing body's vertical center line; rotate at the shoulder until the arm cannot come in any more (this should place the hand crossing the body's vertical centerline, which is now bisecting the hand~); fingertips alignment through wrist and forarm to elbow is one hundred eighty degrees; relaxedly spread fingerscurl one at a time until it pulls the one above it, forming a cone, point down; while stretch curling the fingers, bend slowly at the wrist. The indexfinger and thumb shold form a capital l on its longside(the planetary symbol for gun);rotating these fingers towards the body at the wrist; bend in order distally the nuckles from the hand of those two fingers. curved index finger on the left, curved thumb on the right, hand again bisected by the body's vertical center line--holding the teacup; leading with the back of the wrist facing down forty-five degrees from parallel (imaginary line from the body, parallel with the ground). The wrist leads an arc, as if toasting or Offering Tea or the stroking of a long beard (General Kwan's)~ When the cup is level~ stop risingthen extend the elbow, wrist and nuckles of the hand parallel to the body; (the elbow has been and still is down ward-ish); the back of the hand leads, going straight forward; when parallelness of the wrist with the nuckles(back of hand) is about to be violated,discontinueforward motion. Inhale through the nose and extend elbow moving the hand maintaining position forward. Continuing to attempt this, when the forward motion stops pauseand breathe however and unform the hand and arm. Check one's breathing. Perhaps do it more, once or much.

This helped a severe asthmatic (used inhaler (white one (emergency)) several times a day every day), to breath easier~...The attempt is inhale while extending by Ernie Moore Jr. Exhale is allowed, but inhale is to be returned to through smoothe breathing~.

Others later

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

joedoe
07-15-2001, 06:10 AM
I saw a Reiki Master about my asthma, and have never felt better in my life. Almost completely off my relievers and surviving on preventers. Hopefully with a bit more work I can get off the preventers too.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

honorisc
07-16-2001, 07:07 PM
Hand fingers relaxedly spread;palm on upper breast;drag fingertips to center of chest on the same level while exhaling; on inhaling, continue to drag hand across chest, joining the fingersside by side.when the drag goes off of the chest the fingretips becomejoined as the hand is still going to the full extension of the elbow and down and back then up if still on the same inhale, otherwise the hand stops when the inhale stops~

This might ease things to iprove breathing~

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

sultanpro
11-01-2001, 08:34 PM
I was born with it and have been on the blue puffer for 25yrs.
One day i ran out of my puffer, and couldn't get to the drug store in time so it closed, to make a long story short it's been over 6 months and i still havent got a new puffer, i think half of it is mental, at night my chest gets a little tight, but other than that i feel fine, i just try not to think about it and all is well, but i will get a puffer before i have a attack.

Skard

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

Gluteus Maximus
11-02-2001, 07:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I was born with it and have been on the blue puffer for 25yrs.
One day i ran out of my puffer, and couldn't get to the drug store in time so it closed, to make a long story short it's been over 6 months and i still havent got a new puffer, i think half of it is mental, at night my chest gets a little tight, but other than that i feel fine, i just try not to think about it and all is well, but i will get a puffer before i have a attack. [/quote]

I know, in my case, that the trigger was physical, because I only suffered from it when I visited certain places. I firmly believe that the major causes of asthma are environmental. The fact that Sydney has the highest incidence of asthma in the world would seem to substantiate this theory. However, there are certainly psychological triggers, both primary and secondary. For example, the feeling of suffocation once an attack is underway can activate a secondary psychological trigger or "catalyst", inducing a type of panic reaction, worsening the severity of an attack.

Many people suffer from asthma virtually from birth and then grow out of it. Conversely, some people only develop it later in life.

I was born with it. There were no inhalers available when I suffered badly from asthma and I nearly died on several occasions, my life being saved by being rushed to hospital in the middle of the night for emergency injections.

When I was about 11 years old, I was advised by one doctor to take up competitive swimming. He believed that any activity which involved short in-breaths followed by long out-breaths would help cure asthma.

I took up swimming, excelled at it, and my asthma disappeared shortly afterwards. I don't know whether swimming helped or whether I just grew out of it. Only a carefully-controlled scientific study would be able to provide the answer to that.

I don't mean to be presumptuous, SkarbroMantis, but it's possible that you were growing out of it at the time you stopped taking medication. If you'd been using the puffer every time you felt the onset of an attack, it might have masked the fact that the attacks were becoming less severe.

Max

Yooby Yoody

sultanpro
11-04-2001, 07:30 PM
"don't mean to be presumptuous, SkarbroMantis, but it's possible that you were growing out of it at the time you stopped taking medication. If you'd been using the puffer every time you felt the onset of an attack, it might have masked the fact that the attacks were becoming less severe."
Gluteus Max- That could be very true, i was the worst when it came to using that dam puffer, mabye the attacks were getting better but i never noticed.

Anyways, im glad to be off that "blue demon"

Skard

Skard

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.