PDA

View Full Version : NYSanDa Punching and Clinching DVD Review

WinterPalm
01-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Got this DVD as well as the 2nd SanDa Kickboxing DVD and the Tim O'Connor Conditioning one in the same shipment.
I've worked through the materials in this to a decent extent with my training partners and have incorporated a lot of it into our program.

First off, the introduction to the basic boxing and the logical extension from this to clinching, how to clinch, and when to clinch are the biggest strengths in my opinion. As are the defensive strategies laid out.
The various strikes and takedowns from the clinch are very practical and easy to incorporate into one's repertoire. Because the material presented deals with a variety of clinching scenarios, it gives one several basic tools to use to both close the gap, and what to do in the various situations one can encounter in the clinch game.

Secondly, Sifu Ross' usage of a wide range of TCMA theories is useful for interpreting the material in terms that are familiar to individuals without any boxing or wrestling training. Because of this, the techniques flow into one's already established kung fu base without necessitating an entire overall of techniques and practices.

The biggest strength IMO is in the material on closing the gap and clinching the opponent. Actively training and fighting in Judo has presented me with a wide range of throws but the material here allows for a no-gi situation and also how to get in to a dominant position to execute a throw. With enough time put in doing drills and then live sparring, a lot of the techniques fall into place as natural reactions in certain situations. Further, the defensive strategies, although simple in appearance, work surprisingly well especially with regard to the Thai clinch.

The only let down was that I was hoping for more stuff on punching and a wider range of punching drills. I suppose that is what is covered in the other DVDs.

Overall, I was very impressed with the ease with which many of the techniques are executed and again, the gap closing and clinch defense is excellent.

lkfmdc
01-31-2008, 10:13 AM
Glad you enjoyed the DVD and thanks for sharing your thoughts

lkfmdc
02-07-2008, 08:23 AM
why not, ttt :D

annual training camp is coming in March you know ;)

sanjuro_ronin
02-07-2008, 08:26 AM
why not, ttt :D

annual training camp is coming in March you know ;)

When Bro?
Maybe I can make it.

lkfmdc
02-07-2008, 08:28 AM
march 7-9

this year, Carmine Zocchi (BJJ), Tim O'Connor (MMA), Ian Morgan (San Da/Muay Thai). Jeremy Bellrose (Muay Thai, protege of late Alex Gong), John Salgado (MMA conditioning) and of course me ;)

all info at www.SanDa-MMA.com

MasterKiller
02-07-2008, 08:36 AM
When is Carmine's "half-guard" DVD coming out?

lkfmdc
02-07-2008, 08:38 AM
we did a third volume, bottom position, which has half guard, it's my fault I haven't finished editing it yet :o

sanjuro_ronin
02-07-2008, 08:50 AM
march 7-9

this year, Carmine Zocchi (BJJ), Tim O'Connor (MMA), Ian Morgan (San Da/Muay Thai). Jeremy Bellrose (Muay Thai, protege of late Alex Gong), John Salgado (MMA conditioning) and of course me ;)

all info at www.SanDa-MMA.com

Your school is located how far from the Airport BTW ?

WinterPalm
02-07-2008, 09:28 AM
I wish I could come to the one in March but I'll be there in April.

monji112000
02-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Your school is located how far from the Airport BTW ?

its in walking distance from two train stations(42 and 34). Yah I'm waiting on the DVD too. :D
I'm not a New yorker, but depending on the airport your going to need some type of care service or a long bus ride(s). I think Newark has its own NJtransit stop. Its a quick ride from Newark into the city.

MasterKiller
02-07-2008, 09:48 AM
I stayed in the Bronx and it took me 40 minutes via Bus/Subway/Feet to get there every morning.

WinterPalm
02-07-2008, 10:33 AM
MK, where did you stay and what did it cost?

I'm thinking of this place:

http://www.westendstudios.com/

I just don't want to get hacked up and end up with my kidney in Ross.

MasterKiller
02-07-2008, 10:41 AM

I stayed with family on East 178th (I think). I walked all over the place, but the only problem I had was being the only white boy on the train after the Domincan Pride parade. That was a little dicey.

WinterPalm
02-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Cool.
Can I stay with your family? I'm a good guy...really...

I had an experience in 2003 in NY during the blackout. Walked a girl home with my buddy through Brooklyn and him and I were the only brutally standing out white guys. It was fun!

sanjuro_ronin
02-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Is it a one day thing or over the weekend?

monji112000
02-07-2008, 10:48 AM

cheap hotels . com
you can find a place for around 50-60$ in the city.
stay in the city. JMO

I know some hotels here in Brooklyn... but nothing is cheap. You could stay in NJ, its a very quick ride on NJtransit. look around don't be a stupid tourist ;)

the cheap places in the city are not that bad, you just share a bathroom... sfw.

WinterPalm
02-07-2008, 10:52 AM
The place I picked will cost me $215 American for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night. That seemed pretty good to me.

lkfmdc
02-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Is it a one day thing or over the weekend?

March 7, 8 and 9th

ie three days

12 hours :)

sanjuro_ronin
02-07-2008, 12:03 PM
March 7, 8 and 9th

ie three days

12 hours :)

Cool, is it ok to just come to one day?
Our little one just turned 6 months and we have issues leaving her toomany nights with her GP, just because we will miss her like heck !
I could try to come alone, but its the wife's BDay in March, and even though I am getting here a new SUV, if I go to NYC (where she has always wanted to go) and don't take her, I will be choking the chicken till I am old and gray !

lkfmdc
02-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Combat Sports Training Camp
Over 12 Hours of MMA Instruction and Training!
March 7, 8 and 9, 2008
Scheduled to teach at the camp
Sifu David A Ross, San Da Kickboxing
Carmine Zocchi, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
Tim O’Connor, Strength and Conditioning
Ian Morgan, San Da Kickboxing
Jeremy "Primo" Bellrose, Muay Thai Kickboxing
"I wanted to say what an awsome time we had. Both Instructors showed immense skill and knowledge and were willing to share it all. I can't wait until next year!"
- Chris Herzog, Empire Judo and Boxing club
Who is the camp for?
This camp is for anyone that is looking to challenge themselves. You don’t have to be a fighter to benefit from this camp. Men and women, from any style or system, even those with NO TRAINING, are welcome to attend. This is a unique opportunity to learn new techniques, new training methods and new fighting strategies.

PREVIOUS CAMPS
2005 Combat Sports Training Camp
2006 Combat Sports Training Camp

"In the 3 hours I spent at NY San Da tonight, I have to make a confession, I am loathe to admit...In these 3 hours I learned more about fighting than I learned in the 3 years I spent at my first martial arts school"
- Jason Weiss
Huntington LI
Where is the camp located?
The camp is held at New York San Da at 313 W 37th Strret in midtown Manhattan, New York. We are conveniently located just three blocks from Penn Station and 5 blocks from Port Authority.

What do I need to bring?
Please bring your normal work-out-gear (shorts, shirt, etc) and basic protective equipment including boxing gloves, shin guards, a groin cup and a mouth piece If there's anything you are missing, we have a Pro Shop on location.

What is the camp schedule?
Session One: Friday 6 pm to 8 pm
Session Two: Friday 8 pm to 10 pm

Session Three: Saturday 9 am to 12 noon
Session Four: Saturday 2 pm to 5 pm

Session Five: Sunday 9 am to 12 noon
Session Six: Sunday 2 pm to 4 pm

Topic of each session and instructor will be announced prior to seminar (SOON)

Where do I stay?
We are very close to at least five different hotels, ranging from luxury to very modest but clean and comfortable. We will announce more detailed arrangements prior to the seminar. PLEASE NOTE: NYC hotels book up quickly, make your reservations in advance!

MasterKiller
02-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Cool, is it ok to just come to one day?
Our little one just turned 6 months and we have issues leaving her toomany nights with her GP, just because we will miss her like heck !
I could try to come alone, but its the wife's BDay in March, and even though I am getting here a new SUV, if I go to NYC (where she has always wanted to go) and don't take her, I will be choking the chicken till I am old and gray !

I'm sure Ross won't mind if you pay full price and only attend one day. ;)

sanjuro_ronin
02-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm sure Ross won't mind if you pay full price and only attend one day. ;)

LMAO !!
Yeah, I bet he wouldn't !

WinterPalm
02-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Is there a layout for the instructor seminar?

MasterKiller
02-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Is there a layout for the instructor seminar?

We did

Friday
6 pm to 8 pm David A Ross (Basic structure, footwork, striking)
8 pm to 10 pm Carmine Zocchi (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu top positions)

Saturday
9 am to 12 noon Tim O’Connor, Ian Morgan (kickboxing and conditioning)
2 pm to 5 pm Carmine Zocchi (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu bottom positions)

Sunday
9 am to 12 noon Tim O’Connor, Ian Morgan (kickboxing counters)
2 pm to 4 pm David A Ross (clinching and takedowns)

Here is my review
http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47619

WinterPalm
02-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks MK.

That thread was good and then bad...like all of them.

I guess I should sabotage this thread and make the claim that:

1bad65 is ducking Rudy.

lkfmdc
02-07-2008, 02:50 PM
it is usually $159 for the whole weekend (if you are not an STS member). A single day is $60

RAB
02-07-2008, 03:55 PM
I have a question about san da.

What constitutes as san da?

Is it the rules that make it san da like muay thai, international, full contact, etc?
Is it an organization such as san da organization and anything under that association is san da?
Is it theory like in JKD concepts?
Is it national origin?
Is it just a name?

The reason I ask is because if it looks like kickboxing, i might mistaken it as KB.

Thanks

sanjuro_ronin
02-08-2008, 05:35 AM
it is usually $159 for the whole weekend (if you are not an STS member). A single day is $60

Thank you O Supreme Ultimate Grand master Guru Sifu Ross !

lkfmdc
02-09-2008, 10:05 PM
still seminar spaces ;)

Lama Pai Sifu
02-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Thank you O Supreme Ultimate Grand master Guru Sifu Ross !

That title is almost as good as mine;

Intergalactic mystic ruler of the martial arts.

WinterPalm
02-10-2008, 10:19 AM
I noticed a lack of chi-sao in the outline. Does that cost extra?

lkfmdc
02-10-2008, 02:35 PM
you have to join the "innner cirlce" to learn the secret chi sau

WinterPalm
02-10-2008, 03:13 PM
I was interested in chi SAO, not chi SAU...obviously your lineage doesn't know anything.

lkfmdc
02-12-2008, 02:31 PM
that's how you spell it? LOL! man, you really know nothing

Lucas
02-12-2008, 02:35 PM
I have a question about san da.

What constitutes as san da?

Is it the rules that make it san da like muay thai, international, full contact, etc?
Is it an organization such as san da organization and anything under that association is san da?
Is it theory like in JKD concepts?
Is it national origin?
Is it just a name?

The reason I ask is because if it looks like kickboxing, i might mistaken it as KB.

Thanks

its Wiki, but its as good as an explanation as you're gonna get.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_da

WinterPalm
02-12-2008, 02:59 PM
I know the translation at the time of conception. You've probably got a watered down, communist infiltrated version that misses most of the original intent behind using an O instead of a U.

Oh, and it's spelled: sa'aen d'a.

WinterPalm
02-12-2008, 03:02 PM
That wikipedia entry is interesting. Especially how it talks about san da as not really a specific style but an arena of combat.
Although many techniques are very similar, I've found in sparring with individuals from other systems, that there is a definite difference in flavour between styles.

I'm curious to ask how people find this to be the case between schools that focus just on San Da and schools that offer this as part of the curriculum? Is there much of a difference? Do San Da specific schools train and perform in roughly the same way?
Is there many San Da clubs with trainers who have no wushu/kung fu background?

monji112000
02-12-2008, 04:12 PM
I was interested in chi SAO, not chi SAU...obviously your lineage doesn't know anything.How about this, if you come I'll make sure I'm in town. for $50 I'll give you a chi sao lesson.;) (I suck but honestly thats still better than most people). chi blasts will be a extra $100.

WinterPalm
02-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Ha! I get chi blasts regularly out here for $20 a pop.

But I'll be there, registered for the seminar, got my plane tickets and booked my kidney donation room.

Last time I was in New York I slept a night in Central Park. This time I get a bed!

monji112000
02-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Ha! I get chi blasts regularly out here for $20 a pop.

But I'll be there, registered for the seminar, got my plane tickets and booked my kidney donation room.

Last time I was in New York I slept a night in Central Park. This time I get a bed!

central park... :confused:

WinterPalm
02-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah man, on a park bench. It was crazy but also a story I retell as so many people think central park is a bad place to sleep.:rolleyes:

monji112000
02-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah man, on a park bench. It was crazy but also a story I retell as so many people think central park is a bad place to sleep.:rolleyes:
well I'll give you props for it, but honestly... thats pretty stupid. JMO:D
I was looking to go sunday... but I'm waiting for the topics to be posted. I may have the money.

lkfmdc
02-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Combat Sports Training Camp - March 7, 8 and 9, 2008
New York City
Annoucing the schedule and camp topics

Session One: Friday 6 pm to 8 pm
David Ross: San Da "boxing framework" (strikes, counter strikes, takedowns and takedown defense)

Session Two: Friday 8 pm to 10 pm
Carmine Zocchi: BJJ Half guard offense and defense

Session Three: Saturday 9 am to 11 am
Jeremy Bellrose: Muay Thai knee strikes

11- 12 noon
John Salgado: MMA conditioning

Session Four: Saturday 2 pm to 5 pm
Ian Morgan: San Da Kickboxing combinations and counters

Session Five: Sunday 9 am to 12 noon
Jeremy Bellrose: Muay Thai movement and ring control

Session Six: Sunday 2 pm to 4 pm
David Ross: San Da clinching and MMA skills

SPACES ARE BOOKING UP FAST!
STS network members: $120
Regular registration: $159
www.SanDa-MMA.com

stonewarrior67
02-17-2008, 07:59 PM
come on Ross send Winter Palm some free DVD's...he plugged your dvd's that's the least you can do for the guy....you're not a cheap skate...i always felt as though you are a high class roller when i read your threads...specially enjoyed the ones about your old sifu years back...pony up some dvd's for the dude!

monji112000
02-17-2008, 08:50 PM
come on Ross send Winter Palm some free DVD's...he plugged your dvd's that's the least you can do for the guy....you're not a cheap skate...i always felt as though you are a high class roller when i read your threads...specially enjoyed the ones about your old sifu years back...pony up some dvd's for the dude!
why not just put the ISO's up on a BitTorrent for everyone to download?

WinterPalm
02-18-2008, 11:06 AM

I'd take a carton of Lucky Strikes if I get a say in any of this...