PDA

View Full Version : shaolin stretch kick application

hulkout
01-31-2008, 06:29 AM
At my school, we practice walking stretch kicks where our legs are held straight and our arms are held out to our side. We go through front kicks, crescent kicks, back kicks, side kicks from unicorn stance, and slapping our hand kicks. The applications were never explained to me, we just do them. I was wondering are these combative kicks or are they exercises to stretch the legs to prepare for combative kicks later on? Or is it a combination of both? I'd imagine it's not just a beginner exercise because I see even the most advanced students practicing them. I am very new to northern shaolin training and it's very different from what I've learned before. Any input would be helpful.

NJM
01-31-2008, 07:18 AM
are they exercises to stretch the legs to prepare for combative kicks later on?
Yes, and to make the muscles below the pelvis stronger. They themselves are not applicable.

You mean you have to hold your hands at your sides like "stand at attention" to the sides of the body?

That's highly unusual.

hulkout
01-31-2008, 08:14 AM
Sorry about the confusion. I meant to say that your arms are held straight out to the side in a crucifix position. What would the difference be between these kicks and combative kicks? I know for example that the front kick is usually chambered and then snapped out. But with crescent kicks, they are usually done with the leg straight. Also I guess you would be in a fighting stance with your hands guarding.

MasterKiller
01-31-2008, 08:21 AM
Sorry about the confusion. I meant to say that your arms are held straight out to the side in a crucifix position. What would the difference be between these kicks and combative kicks? I know for example that the front kick is usually chambered and then snapped out. But with crescent kicks, they are usually done with the leg straight. Also I guess you would be in a fighting stance with your hands guarding.

That's a normal exercise in Northern schools. I've heard it called 'crane stepping,' but I don't know if that's an official name or not.

You will never kick like that in a fight.

Even in your forms you will use lots of postures that are not for fighting, but for flexibility, strength, and coordination training.

ngokfei
01-31-2008, 09:08 AM
They are part of the standard Ji Bengong exercises. The format used by Shaolin Temple comes directly from the Beijing Wushu Center.

shaolin style has many unique training exercises unique to Shaolin. You can see alot of them being taught in the Beishaolin/Baksiulam lineage of Kuyucheung.

So yes they are geared towards the physical training and not combat.

Simple test is to try and execute the exercise against a striking pad or person.

Usual Normal approaches is the combination of Hands to open up the opponent for a kick. So a balanced technique.

B-Rad
01-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Well, in combat you'll use things like side thrust kick, roundhouse kicks, front heel kick, front ball thrust kick, short sweeps, and a few other kicks. That back kick (assuming we're thinking of the same kick) can be modified into a throwing motion. Though I admit, I have been hit in the back of the head with it once before in sparring :D The fast moving line drills though are part of what makes the monks and modern wushu guys so fast and strong. Slapping the hands gives a bit of resistance to your kicks, and helps condition the hands a bit.

Pk_StyLeZ
01-31-2008, 11:24 AM
the front kick is to kick to the guy that is grabbing you from behind
havnt you seen those kung fu movies when the bad guy grabs the good guy from behind and the good guy straight kick and hit him??
hahaha.....kinda unrealistic...and probably not the best application to use in that situation...but that is what it is for.....

but ya..most of those kicks are just to help build strength and balance and to make you move faster as stated in earlier posts.....

Citong Shifu
01-31-2008, 01:26 PM
At my school, we practice walking stretch kicks where our legs are held straight and our arms are held out to our side. We go through front kicks, crescent kicks, back kicks, side kicks from unicorn stance, and slapping our hand kicks. The applications were never explained to me, we just do them. I was wondering are these combative kicks or are they exercises to stretch the legs to prepare for combative kicks later on? Or is it a combination of both? I'd imagine it's not just a beginner exercise because I see even the most advanced students practicing them. I am very new to northern shaolin training and it's very different from what I've learned before. Any input would be helpful.

hulkout, Yes, there practiced for both, conditioning and combat! When discussing front stretch outside of physical conditioning, the combat applications are numerous. For example; Front steretch with the hands straight out to the side represents an upper body control (with hands) while executing a low leg sweep to the attacker (you can control from front or back - same with the sweep, leg kicking straight up.). #2 - Stretch kick can attack attackers fron leg (while controling upper body with hands), when the attacker lifts the the intended striking leg you would slip in with your support leg and pull your stretch kick straight back taking out his second leg (shuai chiao throw). #3 - Very simple, the front stretch forward motion trains a variety of sweeping application where as the downward motion also trains sweep or chopping motions, as well as, the all elusive AX KICK.

Remember the front stretch kick principles of practice... You always pull the leg down with the same intent, power, & speed as you use kicking your leg upward!

These are just a few easy to follow applications concerning front stretch kick. Train your principles comprehensively and find find other applications that relate to your particular style or just ask your teacher, he should have extensive applications for ALL your material. Traditional, that is...

Citong Shifu

sha0lin1
02-01-2008, 08:03 AM

The stretch kicks have many combat applications. The front stretch kick can be used to attack, break, or sweep. Striking surfaces can be the bottom of foot, top of foot, or shin. The inside crescent kick can be used also to attack, clear your opponents gaurd hands, then follow with another kick, such as the spinning outside crescent kick. The outside crescent kick can be used in the same manner. The reason why we slap our hands has a few answers. One is to show power, the louder the slap the more powerful the kick. Also, as someone has posted, to condition your hands. Slap with a powerful kick and you will feel the pain. But the application is why you are really doing it. The hands are used for two things. One can be to grab your opponents head while you are pulling it into the oncoming kick. The other is to chop (one hand or two) to the corrotid artery into the oncoming kick aimed at your opponents head.

sanjuro_ronin
02-01-2008, 09:13 AM

stretch kicks? hmmm, the name...stretch ...perhaps that means something?
They are dynamic stretches and, unlike static ones, should be done as warm ups, just like you are doing now.
As for combat applications, everything can have one if you try hard enough to find it, but if you have to look that hard...
Usually there are better things to do.

B-Rad
02-01-2008, 10:17 AM
With some you could modify to make applicable, but odds are you're already practicing these combat kicks as separate kicks outside of the stretch kick line drills... The stretch kicks with make the combat kicks faster and stronger though. Like an axe kick isn't necesarily straight up and down like a front stretch kick. I think it's more like a truncated outside crescent stretch kick. Starts inside and then comes crashing down when it reaches the top of the arc smashing into the collar bone (Or maybe head if you're fighting someone shorter ;)). But of course those motions are all trained somewhere in the stretch kicks, making your axe kick faster and stronger.

LFJ
02-01-2008, 10:25 AM
They are part of the standard Ji Bengong exercises. The format used by Shaolin Temple comes directly from the Beijing Wushu Center.

modern wushu is based on various traditional styles. i'd hardly say they made any of it up. the format doesnt matter. the techniques do.

So yes they are geared towards the physical training and not combat.

most of those kicks used for dynamic stretches and warm-ups are found in the traditional forms. they have combat applications but when they are trained in forms or in warm-ups they are exaggerated to develop fighting attributes such as speed, strength, and flexibility.

Simple test is to try and execute the exercise against a striking pad or person.

nothing in a form is done exactly the way it should be done in fighting. they are altered and exaggerated for developing body mechanics and fighting attributes. these kicks are in the forms. they are the way they are to develop a certain skill. when applied in combat or training, they are altered to be combat effective.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DqWf0VvBzFY

the first application shows the front straight leg swing with the arm swinging up and chopping down to the side as in xiaohongquan. "zhengtitui".

the second application shows the front snap kick with a slap. "caijiao".

Citong Shifu
02-01-2008, 05:06 PM
stretch kicks? hmmm, the name...stretch ...perhaps that means something?
They are dynamic stretches and, unlike static ones, should be done as warm ups, just like you are doing now.
As for combat applications, everything can have one if you try hard enough to find it, but if you have to look that hard...
Usually there are better things to do.

Pretty cut and dry for me. hulkout, Always look deep into your techniques. If you dont see the application immediately, it may be that one doesn't or hasen't reached the understanding to do so. Dont bail on your techniques until you determine, for sure, with complete understanding of said technique that there in no valid or appropriate application...

CS

HtownShaolinBum
02-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Both instructors that I have trained under so far have done the same thing. It is just a good way to build balance, stretch the legs, and develop shoulder strength at the same time.

NJM
02-03-2008, 03:48 PM
To lay it out plain:

No, a stretching kick is not effective. A kick is effective. Stretching kicks build muscle and stretching ability etc.

LFJ
02-03-2008, 09:20 PM
and daniel larusso thought the same about painting the fence, "up down, up down", and waxing the car, "wax on, wax off".

some blocking and striking techniques were taught through something so unrelated to fighting as painting a fence or waxing a car. this is a stretch kick found throughout traditional gongfu forms, and you cant even realize its value?

maybe check this again:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DqWf0VvBzFY

the first application shows the front straight leg swing with the arm swinging up and chopping down to the side as in xiaohongquan. "zhengtitui".

the second application shows the front snap kick with a slap. "caijiao".