PDA

View Full Version : Friendship Seminar

El Zorro 71
01-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Hello to all of my wing chun bretheren out there....

Are there anymore "friendship seminars" here in the states....One where wing chun families, regardless of lineage, get together? And if so when and where..

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment..

All the best and continue training hard

Phil Redmond
01-31-2008, 03:51 PM
This is the most refreshing post I've seen here in a while. We definately need to meet with each other. There's so much online ca-ca. Wing Chun people tend to act differently when they meet in person. It's about time. If a "gathering" was held in the States I'd try to make it.

Ernie
01-31-2008, 04:42 PM
I second that Phil !

Wing chun forums have just been stanky ;)

be cool to just meet some folks and share some of our crazy together :D

Sihing73
01-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Hello,

We had a gathering a few years ago in NYC at Sifu Lees school. It would be nice to do something again.

How about holding one in the Atlanta area when the weather breaks, of course it is nice down here now :) Perhaps something in the Spring or early Summer.......

Phil, I know you would come as the women are great :D

drleungjohn
01-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Will you be arranging that in Hot -Lanta?

There might be one in the spring early summer once the details are hammered out-

El Zorro 71
02-01-2008, 04:31 AM
Thank you all for replying..Mr. Redmond, I sent you an email a few days ago but received no response. I have had problems with my email before...I will call the number on your web site and speak with you personnaly about this post.

To the others, I will begin planning one, and of course I would like to have help on the planning so that collectively we make a decision. I live on the east coast so I'm partial to having one one the east coast this year.

I will keep in touch with all of you. My commitment and my promise.

If you are interested please personal message me your email address and we will get the ball rolling..

All the best

LoneTiger108
02-01-2008, 04:43 AM
Things like this have happened more recently in the UK. There was a few Wing Chun Day Seminars which sounded very friendly and I believe more are in the pipeline. ;)

One of the things happening at the moment is the preparations for the Seni'08 Exhibition, where there is to be an Open Chisau Competition of sorts. This has helped gather some of the eldest family members together and the initial meeting went quite well imho. Still looking for more representation, but there is talk of filming the rules and examples and promotions in the British media soon.

I do feel that a 'special comemmorative day' for the Wing Chun Family needs to be thought about at least. Maybe it is time for us ALL to spend time together, and if we're all so far away then set the event on the same bloomin day and link up with a LIVE Video Feed!!! :D :D :D

El Zorro 71
02-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Hello all,

I finally out of work. I'm glad to see a little respone on this issue. It seems the HFY stuff is really taking up alot of time from everybody.

I will keep posting and working towards getting this accomplished. It can start as a small gathering and gradually increase in size over time. I think that once we are all together we can learn a great deal from one another.

I think an combined action like this would make Great Grandmaster Ip Man happy! Regardless of the lineage. Look for a minute at this, 1 Bible, 1 Jesus, how many interpretations, and that is even if you believe in Jesus. If not, well there is another list of faiths out there based on interpretations.

So who are we to judge. Let's come together as a people, as a Wing Chun family, however you wish to spell it and lets make this the best martial arts system available. I think you all would agree that Wing Chun kicks $%@!

Look at how popular Tae Kwon Do is, they united, so they are proof that it can happen. The best part is we can do it without prostituting our art!

all the best my friends!

Oh Dr. L.J. you asked will there be girls? Well if you can still Biu Kwan your pole, well then its all up to you!!! Seek your prey..lol:D

Phil Redmond
02-01-2008, 03:44 PM
If more WC people would think the way you do "Zorro" we would all be better at what WC devotees love, Wing Chun. I have many WC friends outside of TWC and they are good at what they do. We laugh at the people who trash talk other lineages. ;)

couch
02-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Wing Chun Seminar?

East Coast?

Keep me in the loop. Jim...you in? ;)

Best,
Kenton Sefcik

YungChun
02-02-2008, 04:37 AM
Keep me in the loop. Jim...you in? ;)

That depends on when, where and how much.. :)

Gurokevin
02-02-2008, 08:01 AM
I say lets just pick a date and place and work out the details about it later. Atlanta has already been said so lets do it there. And I think maybe in August time would work. This gives everyone a lot of time to make all there plans to get there. Plus it won't be as hot there like in June / July time. I am going to say August 23 - 24, 2008 in ATL. What do you all think?

Also, after we have one there, we should have one on the west coast sometime.

T.D.O
02-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Things like this have happened more recently in the UK. There was a few Wing Chun Day Seminars which sounded very friendly and I believe more are in the pipeline. ;)

One of the things happening at the moment is the preparations for the Seni'08 Exhibition, where there is to be an Open Chisau Competition of sorts. This has helped gather some of the eldest family members together and the initial meeting went quite well imho. Still looking for more representation, but there is talk of filming the rules and examples and promotions in the British media soon.

I do feel that a 'special comemmorative day' for the Wing Chun Family needs to be thought about at least. Maybe it is time for us ALL to spend time together, and if we're all so far away then set the event on the same bloomin day and link up with a LIVE Video Feed!!! :D :D :D

any chance you could give me a shout if you here of more uk one's?

i was a bit gutted when i read about one in the wingchun magazine wished i knew about it :(

El Zorro 71
02-02-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm glad to see such interest in this topic and this shows that we can put our political differences aside.

As far as location, dates, times ect... well all of that will take some time. I do want this to be a success so that interest grows. For that reason, I believe that developing a committe of persons who are actually interested and those who want to see this as a positive gathering and not a chance to talk smack face to face...

Although, I would love to find out who mofotox is....If you have ever posted anything on you tube I'm sure you know who this guy is....

I have personally sent emails to several organizations and I am awaiting responses. If you are interested please private message me your email and we can begin to move forward. Again, once the group is formed we can then discuss costs and all of the fine details.

But like anything else, word of mouth is power so lets start spreading the word. Just take the HFY post that has been going on for a while now, hundreds and hundres of posts all because being involved in contraversial topics is interesting. If all of you show the same amount of interest and passion in promoting your teacher and lineage then this idea can grow, flurrish and be very worth while....

If you are the head of an organization and reading this please email me so I dont have to send email through the never ending chain of command.

take care my family....

CFT
02-02-2008, 06:59 PM

i was a bit gutted when i read about one in the wingchun magazine wished i knew about it :(http://www.wingchunday.co.uk/

Should be at least one, if not two, this year.
Just contact Jon Broster and he'll put you on the mailing list.

They will most likely be held in Leicester.

-----------
Best wishes,
Chee.

Matrix
02-03-2008, 09:11 AM
If more WC people would think the way you do "Zorro" we would all be better at what WC devotees love, Wing Chun. I have many WC friends outside of TWC and they are good at what they do. We laugh at the people who trash talk other lineages. ;)Phil,

Of course you're right on the mark here, at least from my point of view.

I think the key to meeting other WC people is that you have to come into it with an open mind. If you think you're going to show others how your way is the "right way" then you will miss a huge learning opportunity, IMO. I've been extremely fortunately to meet and train with several people from this forum who are all from different lineages than mine. I can truely say that each and every one of them has been a positive experience. In fact I go so far as to say that my Wing Chun and my life is better for having met these people.

We seem to be so divided that it works against us. Like politics and religion, we use something that should make us stronger and turn it into a tool of division. It's all a question of perspective. I guess it's human nature to want to believe that we can have some knowledge or skill that makes us better than our neighbour so that we have some sort of edge on them. In fact our competitive nature works against us, but we jealously hang onto it.

I think we need to look at each other as part of the same Wing Chun community and emphasize our common strengths, instead of acting like separate splinter groups with some similar history.

Peace,
Bill

T.D.O
02-03-2008, 09:17 AM
http://www.wingchunday.co.uk/

Should be at least one, if not two, this year.
Just contact Jon Broster and he'll put you on the mailing list.

They will most likely be held in Leicester.

-----------
Best wishes,
Chee.

cheers mate... your some man ;)

CFT
02-04-2008, 05:48 AM
cheers mate... your some man ;)Nothing to do with me, all Jon's work. I just attended the first one last year. Hope to be there for one this year.

LoneTiger108
02-04-2008, 08:07 AM

i was a bit gutted when i read about one in the wingchun magazine wished i knew about it :(

It looks like Chee has been more on the ball this time round TDO!! ;)

During a recent meeting with Alan Orr I did ask how the seminars went and if more were on the cards? Obviously, I think the Seni Chisau Competition is a priority at the moment, but like Chee mentions, just email Jon and he will keep you informed. (I gotta do that myself too!)

It all looks good this year as the UK has gone a bit 'China-mad', and I can only hope that it will assist in the larger Wing Chun family coming closer together and build solid foundations for the future.

On a personal note, I can remember when I first entered this forum and was linched for even using the word 'family'. How things have changed in such a short time... :rolleyes:

T.D.O
02-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Nothing to do with me, all Jon's work. I just attended the first one last year. Hope to be there for one this year.

just ment for the info....;)

LT108: :cool: still seems to be a few problems tho lol

CFT
02-04-2008, 10:28 AM
just ment for the info....;)You're welcome.

LoneTiger108
02-05-2008, 08:24 AM
LT108: :cool: still seems to be a few problems tho lol

Are you referring to the 'one family'? I don't know and sometimes don't even understand!! The Seni comp is still in it's development stages I believe.

I do think some seem to 'want' a united Family, as long as their Sifu is seen as the Head! Funny really, as in the UK there has never really been a 'head' of sorts.

Will we all ever be able to work it out? Great ideal, but still needs to be seen to be believed imho...

CFT
02-05-2008, 08:41 AM
What would the function of 'united' family be? Most orgs. have their own curriculum and expression of Wing Chun - you're not going to get technical standardisation.

I'd say just get more organised events, more sharing of training ideas, raise the quality level, open people's eyes to other ways of doing things.

LoneTiger108
02-05-2008, 08:50 AM
What would the function of 'united' family be? Most orgs. have their own curriculum and expression of Wing Chun - you're not going to get technical standardisation.

I'd say just get more organised events, more sharing of training ideas, raise the quality level, open people's eyes to other ways of doing things.

I'm all up for sharing ideas and having joint seminars, but why wouldn't the curriculum be the same? I was under the impression that most Sifu from Ip Man had a set curriculum given to teach, and an order of progression.

I'm still trying to get it into my head that people teach in English I suppose! As I also do, ofcourse, but with a Chinese foundation at it's core.

CFT
02-05-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm all up for sharing ideas and having joint seminars, but why wouldn't the curriculum be the same? I was under the impression that most Sifu from Ip Man had a set curriculum given to teach, and an order of progression.Well, does your sifu have the same curriculum as your martial uncle Austin Goh? Even your curriculum is different to your sifu's isn't it? And that is in one family.

LoneTiger108
02-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Well, does your sifu have the same curriculum as your martial uncle Austin Goh? Even your curriculum is different to your sifu's isn't it? And that is in one family.

What I was trying to highlight is that it shouldn't be too hard to agree with content and structure of a set curriculum that 'Ip Man provided'. He did provide one right? I'm only going by what I've seen and yet to verify.

Only after Ip Man passed away did Lee Shing start to teach his own art which he tweaked for each individual. This is why my Uncles all have different interpretations, but the earlier generations will be familiar with a general curriculum.

It becomes ever so hard to link people together when we start using English/Cantonese variants. Surely it would make sense for any Chinese Martial Art to have a curriculum in Chinese?

Unless the western world has already westernized the ultimate family style...

T.D.O
02-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Are you referring to the 'one family'? I don't know and sometimes don't even understand!! The Seni comp is still in it's development stages I believe.

I do think some seem to 'want' a united Family, as long as their Sifu is seen as the Head! Funny really, as in the UK there has never really been a 'head' of sorts.

Will we all ever be able to work it out? Great ideal, but still needs to be seen to be believed imho...

Aye, seems hard to people to share there views, on the chance that they may get shot down by other families

but i've only been on here a short while... so i might be wrong :rolleyes:

Only after Ip Man passed away did Lee Shing start to teach his own art which he tweaked for each individual.

ip man taught each individual different.... when i was reading the last issue of WCmagazine it said that ip man taught one of his students a kicking dummy form

and i've never heard of this before??

LoneTiger108
02-05-2008, 01:43 PM
ip man taught each individual different.... when i was reading the last issue of WCmagazine it said that ip man taught one of his students a kicking dummy form

and i've never heard of this before??

I tend to have relied so much on what others have said these days, and I hear new things all the time! :rolleyes:

I know of Uncle Gohs kicking form, but it wasn't something I experienced at Jun Mo, although we did train Mui Fa (Mook) Jong which could be considered a type of kicking form/set but there is handwork too. I remember my Sije's (Sisters) practising quite a lot of legwork and they could've kicked most people across the room including me!! :o

Phil Redmond
02-05-2008, 01:47 PM
What I was trying to highlight is that it shouldn't be too hard to agree with content and structure of a set curriculum that 'Ip Man provided'. He did provide one right? I'm only going by what I've seen and yet to verify.

Only after Ip Man passed away did Lee Shing start to teach his own art which he tweaked for each individual. This is why my Uncles all have different interpretations, but the earlier generations will be familiar with a general curriculum.

It becomes ever so hard to link people together when we start using English/Cantonese variants. Surely it would make sense for any Chinese Martial Art to have a curriculum in Chinese?

Unless the western world has already westernized the ultimate family style...
According to the four people I know that studied with YM there was no structured curriculum. Classes were more free and YM taught different people different things. That's why it would be good for WC people to get together.

LoneTiger108
02-05-2008, 02:16 PM
According to the four people I know that studied with YM there was no structured curriculum. Classes were more free and YM taught different people different things. That's why it would be good for WC people to get together.

Are you saying that Ip Man taught some students Biu Jee before Siu Lim Tao Phil?

I've always thought that it was Ip Man who put structure into Wing Chun. I know he taught on an individual basis and honed different things for different students, but this is so hard to do without a foundation knowledge and I thought he must've had some curriculum written down somewhere! Maybe I'm totally wrong. :o

It's always been said that Wing Chun is an easy style to learn but very hard to master. This says to me that at it's core the curriculum should be at its most basic, a minimum standard if you like. Forms, Chisau, Wooden Dummy, Pole & Knife sets, in that order of learning, all very, very basic yet informative images.

How we all develop that foundation is completely free from restraints imho and where much of the confusion is found. This is why training together should always be considered. We can all learn from eachother, and I speak from only a short experience in this forum.

I've learned many things from many people here, and my arms itch so much I just want to fly all over the world to meet everyone and train! Then again, I am a lil bit wierd and not very wealthy so my chances are slim! :eek:

El Zorro 71
02-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Hello All,

Well as an update, I sent several emails to those who I have found on the internet, about 15 in total.. To my surprise no returns.....Well that is not all true. I spoke to Redmond Sifu on the phone and enjoyed our conversation. (verda cono). I found Redmond Sifu to be informative and open to conversation. He has told me of his specific interest in making this gathering a reality. I will continue to communicate with Redmond Sifu as this matures.

I can see the constand communication between all of you so I can see that there is an interest in coming together. Please forward me you emails so that I can speak to each of you individualy.

I was in law enforcement for 10+ years and I know that making the gathering happen is like a dealing with union people. Together we all want something but it is always the same handful of people getting it done. So where is my handful of people I ask you.

All the best and keep training......

Phil Redmond
02-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Hello All,

Well as an update, I sent several emails to those who I have found on the internet, about 15 in total.. To my surprise no returns.....Well that is not all true. I spoke to Redmond Sifu on the phone and enjoyed our conversation. (verda cono). I found Redmond Sifu to be informative and open to conversation. He has told me of his specific interest in making this gathering a reality. I will continue to communicate with Redmond Sifu as this matures.

I can see the constand communication between all of you so I can see that there is an interest in coming together. Please forward me you emails so that I can speak to each of you individualy.

I was in law enforcement for 10+ years and I know that making the gathering happen is like a dealing with union people. Together we all want something but it is always the same handful of people getting it done. So where is my handful of people I ask you.

All the best and keep training......
Well you know I'm interested. Wing Chun is what I do full time so I must love it.

Zhuge Liang
02-05-2008, 10:37 PM
I'd be willing to make the trip if there are no conflicts in the date. Look forward to meeting Phil again if he remembers me :)

Regards,
Alan

T.D.O
02-06-2008, 10:47 AM
I've always thought that it was Ip Man who put structure into Wing Chun. I know he taught on an individual basis and honed different things for different students, but this is so hard to do without a foundation knowledge and I thought he must've had some curriculum written down somewhere! Maybe I'm totally wrong.

from yip chuns book:

although yip man did not have an official education in teacher training, he realised the importance of a syllabus in a progressive teaching method during the learning process of a student

and it say's that he seldom taught biu jee... but that's way off the point of this topic

i think the difference was more to do with size, weight and ability

when some one in my class asked my sigung if wing chun was more suited to smaller people he said that bigger people don't need to turn as much..... which made me think of ip man's differences... but most of this is guess... but seems like a point to me:rolleyes:

any way bring on the next WC day :D

Phil Redmond
02-07-2008, 07:50 PM
We really need to have this gathering. I mean really . . . :D

Gurokevin
02-08-2008, 07:12 AM
We really need to have this gathering. I mean really . . . :D

I totally agree. :)

El Zorro 71
02-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Hello to all,

I have had 3 other confimations so it is all moving forward. Redmond Sifu, I plan on the trip to your area with my family possibly in April. I would like to coordinate so possible we could meet?

The following is a joke!!! Let me say that before any part of it is taken out of context.....

After reading and following the HFY threads I firmly believe that once we have the gathering we would have set the ground work for getting the Palestinians and Isrealits to finally have peace...because besides them its the wing chunners who argue the most!!!!

So if we do this we will bring world peace. Seem like Wing chunner would argue about a tan sau if they had the time. It's a good thing god gave us all five fingers cause can you imagine the structual possiblities if some of us had 6 fingers.....lol....

Phil Redmond
02-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Hello to all,

I have had 3 other confimations so it is all moving forward. Redmond Sifu, I plan on the trip to your area with my family possibly in April. I would like to coordinate so possible we could meet?
Give me a call. We're very open at our school. We have friends who do White Crane, Ba Gua, Japanese Jiijitsu, BJJ, Judo, TKD, Karate, Arnis, Boxing, Mantis, other WC lineages (I could go on), that either visit or train at the school with no egos. They all have things to contribute. Keith Mazza had a rep of being very open in the S. Jersey, Philliy area. We even let that WC guy named Dave McKnight come to our school a few times . . . .lol
Phil

Sihing73
02-08-2008, 05:35 PM
We even let that WC guy named Dave McKnight come to our school a few times . . . .lol
Phil

That was until they realized I really don't know Wing Chun having learned from books, videos and the channeled spirits of past masters :D Once they saw I was no good they booted me out and I had to move away from Philly :o

Phil Redmond
02-08-2008, 05:44 PM
That was until they realized I really don't know Wing Chun having learned from books, videos and the channeled spirits of past masters :D Once they saw I was no good they booted me out and I had to move away from Philly :o
You're too funny Dave . . . lol
I saw your WC. You didn't learn from a book dude.