PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Lenten Challenge

RickMatz
02-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Every year, I throw out the Lenten Challenge to my martial arts buddies. It has nothing to do with Christianity or religion. We are simply using this time as a convenient reminder to rededicate ourselves to our training. It’s kind of hard to miss either Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras, the last day before Lent, which is also Paczki Day!) or Easter Sunday (Bunnies, candy, colored eggs; that stuff). Several of us have been doing this for years now.

The challenge is this: from Ash Wednesday (Feb 6, the day before Chinese New Year, the Year of the Rat (子年) ) until Easter (Mar 23, or Apr 27 by the Orthodox calendar), train every day, without fail, no excuses.

It's not as easy as it sounds; things come up. Some days, you might only be able to get a few minutes of training in; but the point is to do it everyday, no matter what.

It doesn't have to be martial arts training either. Whatever it is that you need to really rededicate yourself to: studying, practicing an instrument, walking, watching what you eat; anything - do it every day, without fail.

In the past on some forums, people have posted what they’ve done everyday. I think everyone who’s done that has become tired of writing , and the others get tired of reading it. How about you just post if you’ve had some breakthrough, or you’ve had to overcome some unusual circumstance to continue your training? Maybe just check in every once in a while to let everyone know you’re keeping at it, or to encourage everyone to keep at it.

For those of you who insist that you really do train everyday anyway, by all means continue and be supportive of the rest of us. For the rest of us who intend to train everyday, but sometimes come up short due to life’s propensity for unraveling even the best laid plans, here is an opportunity to put a stake in the ground and show your resolution.

As a gesture of solidarity with my Orthodox friends, I’m going to keep it up through their Easter celebration.

Won't you join me?

Best Regards

Rick
Http://CookDingsKitchen.blogspot.com

Mr Punch
02-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Sounds good.

Not a big one for resolutions, but have made New Years' ones the past couple of years to increase my training... I usually start just before New Year to get some momentum... and then continue for a week or so after New Year! :(

Anyway, trying to get the gumption to use a bit of spare time at work for training every day. But limited in that I shouldn't get too sweaty since there aren't any showers, there7s no equipment, and I'm often in a suit... but I'll see what I can come up with. Even some footwork drills, and a couple of sneaky tabatas should be OK. Tabata push-ups don't get me too sweaty...

I'm still gonna keep going with my occasional blog... you may say nobody reads them but it's useful for me.

I'll keep it posted... and any 'breakthroughs' on here.

RickMatz
02-05-2008, 05:48 AM
The challenge begins tomorrow!

RickMatz
02-06-2008, 06:00 AM
Let's everyone get off to a good start!

sanjuro_ronin
02-06-2008, 06:38 AM
I fast for "lent", during the day, only water and such, so I have to curtail my physical training accordingly.

Mr Punch
02-09-2008, 05:52 AM
I fast for "lent", during the day, only water and such, so I have to curtail my physical training accordingly.
Why?

Mr Punch
02-09-2008, 06:09 AM
I seem to be the only person interested in this but anyway: my goals for lent. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=841335&postcount=105)

RickMatz
02-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Mr. Punch,

That is impressive.

When I come home from work, if nothing else is pressing, I either lift weights for an hour, or walk on a treadmill carrying a pair of dumb bells for an hour.

Later on, I will spend 30 minutes or so doing the Wu style warm up/chi kung exercises, then another 30 minutes doing the long form.

I also usually get to a 3 hour class each week.

I've had plenty of takers on other forums. You're in good company.

Keep up the good work.

Best Regards,

Rick

Becca
02-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Just noticed this. I guess I'll join in even though I've missed part. I haven't picked up any of my weapons since I stopped going to group class. I'll resolve to work on a section of a weapon form every day. This added to my usual Lenten habit of dropping all red meat and foul aught to be an interesting experience.

RickMatz
02-11-2008, 09:11 PM
How's everyone doing with their training? Don't worry if you've fallen off the wagon. You can climb back on.

Ganbatte!

RUFNTUFGIRL
02-12-2008, 05:40 PM
:rolleyes:I just saw this! I am in. I haven't been making the time but now this will get me going. I hope I'm not to late to jump in.

RickMatz
02-13-2008, 06:11 AM
It's never too late.

sanjuro_ronin
02-13-2008, 06:24 AM
Why?

Why am I fasting or why will I curtail my physical activity?

Mr Punch
02-13-2008, 05:06 PM
How's everyone doing with their training? Don't worry if you've fallen off the wagon. You can climb back on.

Ganbatte!Thanks for the encouragement. Wee bit down at the moment as I've injured my shoudler again which put me out for two days. Couldn't really move without a lot of pain so couldn't do any lower body work to speak of either.

Going to try this afternoon to hit some single leg squats, some chi kung, and some stepping drills.

Why am I fasting or why will I curtail my physical activity? Fasting...?

RickMatz
02-21-2008, 12:28 PM
It's two weeks now. Is everyone still on board?

Ganbatte!

RUFNTUFGIRL
02-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Still Here. I Am Beat. Waiting For That Second Wind. Trying Hard To Be Motivated. I Miss Group Classes.

RickMatz
02-28-2008, 06:00 AM
We're three weeks into the Lenten Challenge. Is everyone still on board?

If not, climb back on board. If you didn't start because you were late, all is forgiven :-); get started!

Becca
02-28-2008, 07:58 AM
yep, still on board with one slight modification. last week I started hitting the gym after work. And I didn't want to do a full workout at the gym then go home and do a session with a weapon form, so I started taking my bag gloves to the gym and working the heavy bag for the cardio. Still kung fu related, so it counts.... I did slip up and have a chicken wrap, so I'd say this side of my Lent goals.:o

RickMatz
03-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Two weeks from tomorrow is Easter.

If you've been sticking with the Lenten Challenge, now is the final push. If you haven't, why not dedicate yourself to practice everyday, without fail or excuses for the next two weeks. If you fell off the wagon, why not get back on board for the last push.

Becca
03-10-2008, 06:06 AM
more or less sticking to it. I went to open mat yesterday for the first time in a long time... and reached muscle failure in about 20 minutes.:o Won't be doing any forms for a day or two, I can't hardly walk let alone get into horse stance.

RickMatz
03-16-2008, 06:34 PM
One week to go!

If you have fallen off the wagon, or haven't joined us yet, how about taking part in a final week of dedicated training?

Keep up the good work!

RickMatz
03-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Happy Easter and congratulations for taking part the Lenten Challenge. Now that wasn't so bad, was it?

RUFNTUFGIRL
03-31-2008, 04:55 PM
How about a summer challenge?

RickMatz
04-01-2008, 06:36 PM
It's your idea. You get to set the boundaries.

RUFNTUFGIRL
04-09-2008, 04:46 PM
I Will Start It 2 Months Before Summer. Guidelines To Follow...