PDA

View Full Version : 8-Step at Houston Event in April

lapu_squared
02-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Just thought I'd let everyone know there's going to be a big 8-Step reunion in Houston in early April. Many of Grandmaster Wei's students will be getting together for the first time in 25 years, coming from Taiwan, Canada, and various places around the U.S. It's the biggest 8-Step reunion ever held in the U.S.

Since so many people will be there, the "Martial Arts Exhibition 2008 in Houston" will have more 8-Step performances and seminars than ever before. Some of the people performing are among the best in the entire 8-Step community and rarely perform in public. Anyone really serious about learning more about 8-Step should try hard not to miss this event.

There's more info on the event at http://www.8-step.com/houston2008.htm for anyone interested.

Three Harmonies
02-03-2008, 09:51 AM
All those teachers and yet Su Yu Chang is the only one offering any kind of workshop? Bummer:( Will more seminars be added?
And what is with the private invite only thing on Friday?
Thanks
Jake

lapu_squared
02-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Since Mr. Su is a senior student of GM Wei, it would have been considered disrespectful to offer competing workshops. I'm sure Mr. Su's workshop will be well worthwhile.

As for the private event on Friday, that's just a chance for GM Wei's students to catch up with each other, since many have not seen each other in years. That way they can have an informal get-together before the more public events on Saturday and Sunday. That's all that is.

houstonwriter.c
02-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Where in Houston is Sifu Wu Er Li's school? Anyone know?

All the Best,

William Dylan Powell

Three Harmonies
02-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Actually I think it would be a better, more enticing event if more teachers offered seminars (not sure why they have to be competing). I would think it would be much more respectful to have all the teachers offer something as a tribute. But to each their own. I would certainly try to make it if more people were offer more things.
Good luck, and have fun!
Jake :cool:

EarthDragon
02-06-2008, 06:38 AM
sounds like a once in a lifetime event, I with a few of my students will be attending. who else is planning on going fellow 8 steppers

htowndragon
02-09-2008, 01:57 AM
wu er li teaches at the chinese culture center

houstonwriter.c
02-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks, bro! I'd love to go watch one of his classes. Do you know what his schedule is? I couldn't find him on the CCC's calendar.

Are you one of Poo Yee's SPM students?

htowndragon
02-09-2008, 05:49 PM
nah my old sifu is one of HPY's students. I'm friends with Wu Er Li's daughter, the next time i see her i'll try to get you some info

houstonwriter.c
02-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks! I appreciate that.

EarthDragon
02-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Lapu, what going on with this event? we are trying to make plans but have heard nothing back thus far. for less than a month away thier is no concrete information? and no one is going? whats up?

lapu_squared
02-13-2008, 08:02 PM
EarthDragon, did you send an e-mail about the workshop or registration? If you did, let me know offline by PM and I'll look into it for you. If not, there are specific dates and times listed on the link above for making any travel arrangements, as well as an e-mail link for pre-ordering lunch or registering for the workshop.

EarthDragon
02-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Please check your PM's

Michael Dasargo
02-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Hey Chas,

I'll be touching down @ about 6 PM Friday.

See you there,
M.Dasargo

EarthDragon
02-28-2008, 02:29 PM
can anyone tell me whos going to this? I and my students felt it is a once in a lifetime opp. however all these masters and only a basic qigong seminar by Mr Su?

how about correcting applications and forms, power generation, rooting excercises, trainging tips, combat applications ????

I live with a medical qigong master, no need to learn basic breathing qigong for me personally, but why wouldnt there be 8 different classes to pick from,

teach us how to develop what we already know etc etc.

seems like a great opportunity wasted. this event should have every 8 step teacher and student at least in the USA in houston for the whole weekend.... so far noone i know is going. and no feedback? uggg

Three Harmonies
02-29-2008, 08:04 AM
ED
When I first saw this I had the same thoguhts as you... what a great opportunity. But then the details came out and I feel it is a "great opportunity wasted." They could be doing so much more with an event like this, and frankly it seems like a complete waste of time and money.
Maybe, maybe, if I lived within driving distance I would check it out, but no way with the cost of airfare would I fly in.
Too bad!

Michael Dasargo
02-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Hey Jake, ED,

I agree with you guys 100%.

But you guys know me, the idealist. I'll see what I can do while I'm there to influence future events and gatherings.

All the best,
M.Dasargo

lapu_squared
02-29-2008, 02:26 PM
I must say I have to agree that the event is no longer specific enough to 8-Step that it would warrant paying for airline tickets and hotel reservations. Originally, we had big plans for sharing more 8-Step publicly. Unfortunately, due to many factors--including some internal politics that I won't go into--the 8-Step sessions kept getting cut.

Having said that, I still think the event would be good to attend for local Houston people with a general interested in various martial arts styles.

Also, I have to say that a lot of effort has gone into bringing some very high-profile 8-Step people here from Taiwan, Canada, and various locations around the U.S. If these people enjoy getting back together again (after decades of not having seen each other in some cases) then we'll have a much better chance of organizing another event in the future that's dedicated more exclusively to 8-Step.

So, I would only ask that those who are friends of the 8-Step community help us out in three ways:
(a) Forgive us for not being able to quite pull it off this time around.
(b) Appreciate that a lot of people have gone to a lot of effort to take an important first step forward in bringing the traditional 8-Step community back together.
(c) Support us in the future when we try to get another event organized that's more specific to 8-Step.

Again, I wish we could have gotten lots of 8-Step material out in the public this time around, but it proved to be just too big a battle for us to fight at this time.

On a separate note, I'll be traveling to Houston and would be happy to meet anyone else who still decides to come, regardless of how many 8-Step events are on the agenda.

Three Harmonies
02-29-2008, 03:22 PM
So Su is doing Bagua seminar now!?!?! Strange.

I know I sound like a broken record, but politics will be the death of CMA! Time to start growing up in these respects. Unfortunately there are more people concerned with their own ego than with the art/community at large. Until that changes, nothing will be any different.
Best of luck in the future,

Onjer
02-29-2008, 08:06 PM
I've not been able to figure something out. Grand Master Wei's main student, that was with him everyday for 30 plus years, and featured predominently in his book, was teaching 8-Step in So. Cal. since the late '80's - i.e. Lin Chun-fu. Very few student sought him out.

Never meaning any disrespect to the other students of Grand Master Wei, but most of them spent..., maybe 3 yrs. with him. People traveled to Taiwan to train with them.

I can't quite figure out why he had so few students. It's not like Orange Co. is a hard place to get to. He had a profoundly deep understanding of Wei's art. I'm so sorry so few got to experience it.

DMK
02-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Living in the Houston Area I am excited the Demo and workshops will be here.
CMA in Houston is not that big and very little northern flavor. 8 step praying mantis schools do not exist here and havent in quite sometime. I have noticed more modern wushu and southern arts here.
The Demo will show case both modern and classical martial arts.
I am hoping the event has a big turnout, maybe this will open doors for the future .

yu shan
02-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Lou

I have thought about this as well. Your Shifu training with Master Wei for many many years. I have come across teachers under Master Lin that claim to still be in SoCal. Do you have shi-xiongs still in L.A. I use to enjoy reading Paul`s posts here, he had quality information about BaBu. How is Paul, you can pm me. Until you arrived here, most of the BaBu posted here is just a bunch of ego sh*t. Nice to hear from a student of Master Lin. I would like to visit you some day.

Jim

EarthDragon
03-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Michael D. Any help and effort you put forth would be greatly appricated. lapu and others i would do whatever it takes to promote, coordinate and help bring a 8 step event to NY or where ever, and love to really get into detail with the system and its workings, teachers and masters.

Lapu, see if you can speak with them and lets start working on it after houston

Three Harmonies
03-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Mike Martello will be teaching some Babu Tanglang when he next visit's the US. No dates confirmed yet, but we are looking at late Summer, early Fall sometime. Stay tuned.

Yu Shan your post about Babu post's seems a little negative energy wise!

Cheers
Jake :)

EarthDragon
03-14-2008, 09:49 AM
I heard that the last seminar Mike M had, he did no mantis at all..... only the concept of the stance. something about sick of all the hiarchy.. care to ellaborate anyone?

Three Harmonies
03-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Not sure who you are talking to, but they are wrong.
Mike works principles of movement. We worked Mantis a whole weekend. I have a guess who you spoke to that came to the seminar, and...well......................

Mike is so far away from the silliness of the CMA that it is not even funny. So I could see how many students did not "get" what he was trying to convey. For the rest of us it was great! Top notch stuff that hardly anyone is offering in todays Chinese Martial Community.

Cheers

German Bai Lung
03-16-2008, 08:29 AM
And even if Mike is working on "only" one stance: for the most it is so much information and stuff to work on, that their Kung Fu would only become better than.
Many teachers should be doing more "basic" stuff instead of teaching a whole form in one day. This brings people nowhere. Even the so called advanced Mantis folk and teacher.

But well ... a seminar and only one stance .. what a waste ... :rolleyes:

EarthDragon
03-16-2008, 11:31 AM
well, thanks for the replies. And its nice to hear opposite opinions... BTW it was not directed at anyone in particular, just something I heard from another advanced mantis player who made the trip, but everyone is different and what might please one will not please all.

GBL, I totally understand your point. I have been to seminars that try to shove too much down your throat in too little time and you walk away with 20 half a$$ techniques instead of 2 really good ones that you wind up forgetting anyways, but people feel they need to get to most for thier buck and it becomes a matter of quanity, not quality. What a shame

My first MA teacher taught very slowly at times it seemd too slow as i was a teenager and in a hurry to get my black belt.... but after seeing others form it was clear that time and repitition paid off.

Three Harmonies
03-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Well I am not sure what/who the "advanced" Mantis student was (most everyone there had less experience than I, and I am certainly not "advanced"). And I have no clue what "stance" they were talking about. Apparently they either are flat out lying, or were not paying attention at all. Mike Desargo was there, but again I doubt he would say something like that as he is still a student and learned a lot more than a stance.
Be careful of who you listen to. People talk all sorts of ****, but few have anything to say.

LingChuanPai
03-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Tho I read the posts here, I havent been posting here in a long while, due to this type of garbage that totally plagues this forum. I attended Sifu Martellos seminar in Seattle. If the person that's talkin trash is the "advanced" one I think they are....they have a long way to go. A person's skill tells alot about their training and dedication to their art. This person came late in the seminar and didnt stay very long. How do you expect to gain anything from a seminar unless you attend start to finish?
First off, Jake holds great seminars! If he brings someone in, they're top notch and he shows hospitality to all above and beyond any standards. Opening his home to me on several occasions. Thanks Jake!
Second, Very few people have the full understanding of body mechanics alone, not to mention the ability to breakdown movement and control to even the most entry level student. Sifu Mike is oustanding as a person. Modest, honest, and has not the slightist bit of bulls*** about him. Too many "teachers/instructors/Gompas/Masters" have some wacky azz stories that never add up in the end and just dissapoint you. The charlatins are many but the Real ones are few. If you never met Mike Laoshi, I suggest you take the opportunity and check out any of his seminars.
Thanks Jake and thanks Sifu Mike!,
~Jason

Three Harmonies
03-18-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm going to tell all of you rookies out there, you don't want to be ****ing with north shore Tanglang on the SOUTHSIDE!!:D:p

Seriously though, thanks Jason. You have been a good friend and great brother in these arts that we share, too bad more do not have your attitude. My house is your house always!
There is no need for anyone to get all bound up about anything. Those who have experienced know what Mike is about (as well as any teacher I bring in), and those who have come with an agenda and cluttered ego can talk all they want. Frankly I am not sure I want tons of people at Martello seminars, Hu seminars, Cartmell seminars etc. just because that means we get all the more attention and instruction;)
Mike will be back this August teaching us another stance. I figure in 8-10years I might learn to throw a punch, but **** my stances will be tight:rolleyes::D;)
Middle of August, here in Seattle. Not sure of details right yet as we are still ironing them out. But it will be more of the same boring, unwanted, un-needed body mechanic drills to be put into our form, fighting, and conditioning training. Gee golly, I can't believe you guys would actually show up and waste such money and time! :rolleyes::D

Cheers
Jake

LingChuanPai
03-18-2008, 01:08 PM
All I can say is LOL.......Who woulda thunk that you could find CMA in the swamps of Louisiana right?! HA!
Thanks for the kind words bro......ur right our stances are hella bad fool!

Three Harmonies
03-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Check your email bro. I just sent you some info.
Cheers

EarthDragon
03-21-2008, 05:56 PM
With respect My sincere apologies to all especially Mike.

I am afriad I repeated a simple comment but caused grief out here. Those of you that know me know I meant no disrespect and support the mantis community for the better part of 20 years.

I have never met Mike martello and have heard only good things about him.

I was just repeating what I had heard as an observation by another person, nothing more. But I will be the first to say I'm sorry if i offended anyone by my post.

Three Harmonies
03-22-2008, 08:57 AM
No apologies needed bro. Nothing you said was disrespectful. You never mentioned a single name, yet everyone that was there knows exactly who you are speaking of. He was too busy showing off what he does in his school, and asking me to correct certain postures of his form, to learn anything Mike was teaching, so it does not suprise me that he only took away a "stance" from a whole weekend of lessons!
Cheers

dragonball
03-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Jake.
How can you be so ignorant and assume that all I took away from the whole seminar was a stance. And Also what's up with you complaining about spending 10 minutes out of the whole weekend teaching me a few postures of the Xing-yi. I appreciated the time you spent with me being that I was a beginner and you were more advanced. Now I'm Sorry I asked for your help. For your information I enjoyed the seminar, considering the fact that what was advertised regarding the 8 step section was not covered. As far as Mike Martello goes, he's a skillful teacher and a gentlemen because he treated me and everyone else with the utmost respect. What I told EarthDragon was taken out of context and I don't understand why he would say such things. What I said was that I was disappointed that there was not more 8step forms and applications covered. This is not a reflection on Mr.Martello, he did a great job teaching what he taught. As far as the infamous stance that EarthDragon was regarding; it was a private conversation that Mr.Martello and I had in the locker room about the 8step and it's current state of affairs. I told him that my teacher taught me his version of the 8step system which was different to the original Master Wei system and he was kind enough to show me the variation of the first movement of the 7 hands form. What I told EarthDragon was that I was disappointed that he didn't go in any further with the 7 hand form. He said that he doesn't teach the forms anymore just the fighting concepts. Due to personal reasons regarding his experience within the 8step community. Mr.Martello I apologize profusively for the inaccurate statements EarthDragon made regarding the seminar.

I've been studying, training teaching Mantis for over 30 years. If I am known to be critical or bad mouth other martial artists, I would already have that reputation. Why would I start now? What would I gain from it? Jake I'm very disappointed at how you've responded to this matter and took the opportunity to insult me. I would've expected more of you. Considering everyone I talk to in regards to you and your seminars; which I spoke of you highly. I guess I was mislead, shame on me!

Qixing Tanglang
03-23-2008, 03:06 AM
Don't worry too much Dragonball. Jake is a big baby on this forum - 30 going on 3.

Three Harmonies
03-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Well Dean to address your points....
I insulted no one, never mentioned a name. I responded to what one of your friend posted on a public forum. You need to do damage control if people are going to come on and make comments about your comments, out of context or otherwise. Perhaps ED should not have posted anything at all and we would not be here would we? I simply responded to a comment someone made ON A PUBLIC FORUM.
I do apologize for myself and Mike both if you did not get what you wanted out of the seminar in terms of expectations. That is the reason Mike asked at the begginning what people wanted to work on etc. etc. But perhaps you were not there to put in your two cents worth. I believe you were running late. So if the seminar was not what you wanted/expected, we will try to meet your needs next time in a better, more accurate manner. Next time please be on time so we can accuratley get an idea of what everyone wants to train.
As for questions about Xing Yi right in the middle of a seperate seminar..... it was only 10 minutes because I purposefully tried to cut it short. I found it very rude to ask about some other style, you learned from some other person, right in the middle of a seminar where you were supposed to be working on what Mike was teaching. It would have been different if you pulled me aside at a break, or after the seminar. But you did it when you were supposed to be working on something Mike was teaching us. That is rude to him. Rude to the other students. And rude to me.
You can think of me what you wish. But I think if you sit back and take a long, hard, honest look at the situation you would react the same! I never mentioned a name in my comments, and I stand by my comments in the context of the conversation. Seems to me that ED is the one that started the fire, perhaps you should talk to him. If me standing by my teachers, students, and colleagues is disappointing to you....so be it. This is one of the major reason myself (and SO many others) are turned off by the CMA community. Too much silly bull****. All this started because some guy who was not even at the event, took something out of context you said about the event, and smeared it all over the world wide web! He painted (purposeful or not) a bad picture of Mike, me, and my seminars. What would you do bro?

Qixing (Kai, or which ever student of his you are).... bugger off. Coming from you all it means nothing!

Cheers

Michael Dasargo
03-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Hellewwwww *George Takai voice*

Sorry guys, I'm a bit caffinated. Anyway, I wanted to throw in my .02 cents on the Seattle experience:

What was advertised (8 step 12 soft principles) was not covered.

We worked on thumb locks for some time.

If you stopped reading there, then that's all that any individual would have walked away with at the seminar.

Mike is an organic teacher, and modified the lessons based on what skills each student was able to detect.

We started with template drills, then Mike followed the tradition of individualizing each students skill and ability to fulfill as much potential as each student had.

The structure of the class changed to accomadate for the diversity of skill and understanding, which to me is much more effective than a boiler plate seminar.

If we covered what was advertised, I would not have been exposed to the depth of root and ting jin that Mike the Wang family specialize in.

As an individual, Jake, Mike, and the whole crew are cool peoples. Free of titles, pretense and all "instantaneous bruising" (had to be there).

I suppose I would be dissapointed if I was craving a big mac but got an In and Out double double animal style. Still a burger, still taste great, but not quite what I was craving.

That being said, I understand if people were dissapointed.

I was taught to understand before seeking to be understood...now if I can only understand what the hell I'm talking about....

Mike D.

B.Tunks
03-23-2008, 05:08 PM
I was taught to understand before seeking to be understood...now if I can only understand what the hell I'm talking about....

ha ha, deep brother. deep.

Three Harmonies
03-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Hence why I apologized.

Qixing Tanglang
03-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Like I said....big baby.

Cheers,
Nate

Three Harmonies
03-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Nate dog,
Talk a tough talk halfway across the world junior. Another keyboard master eh? What a waste.

Qixing Tanglang
03-28-2008, 04:15 AM
Dont take it personal Jake. You've been called on it before. It just is what it is.

Cheers,
Nate

DMK
03-28-2008, 06:47 AM
Two weeks left and the demo is on . I am looking forward to this first event in Houston. I have seen some advertising but I am not sure of the purpose of the demo.It is advertised as a demo for CMA Schools in Houston and the surrounding areas. Praying mantis is not the focal point it host Victor Cheng has been around in Houston for a while.His old store on shepard has been missed. Good luck to all particapating in the demo and welcome to all that are visiting.

masherdong
03-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Victor Cheng has been around in Houston for a while.His old store on shepard has been missed.

The last time I visited his store, he told me that he was moving to Humble and that he was going to help out one of his students schools. Now, I dont know what he is doing about the store's merchandise. Ebay maybe?

DMK
03-28-2008, 08:31 AM
This is what I have been told as well . The school is in Humble . It is wangs martial arts I use to check out there web page but too . The last thing I saw was Mr. Cheng was doing mostly qi gong . I didnt know he new praying mantis it was so much other martial arts material in his store very little CMA material.

masherdong
03-31-2008, 06:14 AM
I didnt know he new praying mantis it was so much other martial arts material in his store very little CMA material.

That is cool! I didnt know he new mantis as well.

htowndragon
04-03-2008, 01:34 PM
victor cheng opened up a store inside the school in humble. i used to go to the shepard location but i headed over to humble one day to check it out. victor cheng did "mi men tang lang" or "secret door mantis". he won't show it. lol the dude smokes like a chimney.

EarthDragon
04-03-2008, 01:54 PM
I still dont understand, can someone please explian how most if not every great old school mantis teachers are all under one roof and the focal point of this event is not mantis????

seems kinda crazy..... or maybe its just me... its like zeppilin, the doors, and eric clapton getting together at the astrodome and the focal point is not music....

DMK
04-06-2008, 05:52 PM
I hope everyone had a good time in Houston and I hope all 8 step students gained valuable information in there systems.. I personally liked the Micheal Dasargo and Tony Puyot's performance .

EarthDragon
04-28-2008, 11:35 AM
I am now sorry that I and my students missed it after hearing from someone whom actually went.

Its outcome was better than its intention.

I hope all enjoyed this event.