PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Savi Re: CWC

reneritchie
02-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Now, that chapter on Hung Suen Wing Chun was originally written by John Murphy (HFY member, not a TWC member), altered and edited by the authors of CWC

Hi Savi,

Long time no post. Hope all's well with you and yours.

We (neither Robert, Yewmun, nor myself), altered or edited anything in the Hung Suen chapter of Complete Wing Chun (http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FComplete-Wing-Chun-Definitive-Traditions%2Fdp%2F0804831416&tag=wingchunkuencom&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325"). If anyone told you we did, they are mistaken. I've had to correct this already far too many times, so I would appreciate your help in propagating the correction where ever possible.

For the other sections of the book, because the contributors weren't writers, they provided raw information (old notes, photos, charts, etc.) and we compiled it all into the structural format we were using (history, forms, training, etc.), sent it back for them to check, and the finalized it.

John Murphy provided the Hung Suen chapter already written. Unfortunately, since the first draft did not (structurally) match the rest of the book (didn't divide things up in the same sections), I took a stab at editing it, but John didn't like the idea of anyone else working on it, so Robert forwarded him some sample chapters from other branches, as well as a list of things we needed changed (too keep it more focused on WCK, and more PC), and John did the edit himself.

When John finished it up, we packaged it with the rest, and sent it to Tuttle (who, as far as I know, didn't edit anything aside from spelling and adding Leung Ting's and William Cheung's pictures to the Yip Man section since they felt it would add appeal to their large student bases).

That's why, if you look at the acknowledgements at the beginning of Complete Wing Chun, there's a list of people we thank for their contributions (like Andreas Hoffmann and Eddie Chong), but we thank Gee Sifu and John Murphy for supplying their chapter. The difference of acknowledgement was deliberate.

Thanks again for your help in clearing this up,

[edited for grammar and link]

anerlich
02-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Rene,

I would like to ensure that you and the other authors of CWC have no problem with the text on Rick Spain's website (which it appears you were made aware of from another thread on this forum already), which was apparently an altered but otherwise verbatim quote from CWC. I say "apparently", since I have not looked at either my copy of the book or that part of the website for some time. I say "verbatim", because otherwise the issue ceases to be one.

I am sure this was done for purely promotional purposes rather than to start or continue lineage conflict (though construing the latter IMHO would require the drawing of a bow of extraordinary length).

Anyway I would appreciate your honest thoughts on this issue. Should you be unhappy with what's been done, I will discuss it tactfully with my instructor and the web masters and urge them to consider your wishes in that regard.

Thanks.

reneritchie
02-04-2008, 02:37 PM
No worries Andrew, I'll catch you via email.

I'm just waiting for Savi to strap his accountability b@lls on here so some of the more flagrant and silly misrepresentations about Complete Wing Chun can, hopefully and at long last, be stomped out.

Ultimatewingchun
02-04-2008, 03:02 PM
And I'm waiting for him back on the other thread to explain some of the concepts that he says I can't relate to with a TWC equivalent.

JPinAZ
02-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Just a thought, I am sure Savi has a personal life outside of here that might just take up his time from KFO. If he doesn't seem to be answering fast enough for your taste, maybe you should have a little more patience. I mean, it's been what, less than 24 hours?? Not speaking for anyone here, but just maybe he has other obligations in his life that take presidence over checking in on this forum every couple hours. So relax guys, I'm sure my Sihing will be along shortly so you don't get too worked up. :rolleyes:

reneritchie
02-04-2008, 06:02 PM
@JPinAZ,

Not a problem. I thought possible he may also be taking some time to go "beat up them fools who told him them lies" (with apologies to Messers both Murphy and T) and would join us later, job well done.

reneritchie
02-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Savi,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Are you saying that John Murphy told you (Savi) directly that the final draft of the Hung Suen chapter was substantively edited/altered by someone other than he after it was submitted by him for inclusion?

reneritchie
02-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Victor,

S'all good.

Unfortunately, I sometimes have a really good memory, and I always keep excellent notes. That can harshen any story-maker-upper's mellow. :(

(I half-expected the reply to be "Okay Ashton, you got me, way to tell me a funny story and get me Punk'd on KFO... Come on, come out... Where you at Ashton?")