PDA

View Full Version : personal rights vid-what if it was ur wife?

Black Jack II
02-03-2008, 08:05 PM
The idiot should not of answered in such a sarcastic remark but this vid is disgusting in more than a number of factors. What is good is that events like these, though rare they may be, because of increased media coverage and new media access points like the internet are getting much more real time press and this mold is getting the air it deserves.

I will tell you what, if it was my wife, it would be lawyer time all the way and a **** storm that would not just get up and leave.

Now...what if this was your wife or girlfriend in this context?

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=82447

Eddie
02-04-2008, 02:29 AM
If this was my wife, I’d go back and find those male cops and sort them out the way men sorted these things out centuries ago. Cop or not. Woman abuse really gets me.

kwaichang
02-04-2008, 05:35 AM
Get used to it it will only get worse we are turning into a Military state People have no real rights The Gov just wants us to think we do. So many rights have been taken from us PS why not sort them all out kinda like Rambo in the 1st one KC:mad:

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-04-2008, 06:01 AM
Sick a team of Lawyers on them, and make sure to sue the dept AND each officer personally. Charge them with sexual assalt.

MasterKiller
02-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Well, anytime someone even suggests they are suicidal, police are required by law to detain you.

Did they ever say exactly why she called the police in the first place?

monji112000
02-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Well, anytime someone even suggests they are suicidal, police are required by law to detain you.

Did they ever say exactly why she called the police in the first place?

yah SHE was attacked.:rolleyes:

MasterKiller
02-04-2008, 08:26 AM
yah SHE was attacked.:rolleyes:

The details were suprisingly vague. Was she drunk? Was it a bar fight? Was she on a bus?

monji112000
02-04-2008, 08:33 AM
The details were surprisingly vague. Was she drunk? Was it a bar fight? Was she on a bus?

it said she was at her home, and something about hair and a cut. it was vague.. it makes me wonder why the cops would act so odd. Every cop I know would never do anything like that without reason... so I assume something isn't being said. My guess they are all on meth.. school teachers are known for dealing with meth allot.

Mas Judt
02-04-2008, 08:43 AM
It is unfortunate my first reaction is against the police, but until details are available, it is hard to judge this.

But, if it was my wife (who is not a scumbag druggie), you would se a litany of high-powered attorney's arranged in a cascading lawsuit that would touch everyone touchable, a professional PR campaign, and a dogged determination to see justice done, and the offending officers out of a job, and writing my wife very big checks.

The Patriot act is actually not as intrusive as many think. I've actually read it and did an analysis of it for a major financial institution. We do face an erosion of civil rights, but the attack has been coming from the left and the neo-right for a long, long time. Unfortunately, I do feel the war on terror, after the first year, has been poorly conceived and managed. That said, I'm just glad Gore or Kerry weren't there to REALLY f@ck it up.

Shaolinlueb
02-04-2008, 10:38 AM
until we know everything i cant pass judgement. police dont just strip search you to see women naked.

as for staying in a cell for 6 hours, thats cruel and unusual punishment. i do not agree.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-04-2008, 12:20 PM
i bet theres more to it. if you notice, none of the officers look the least bit angry or even bothered by the presence of the camera. you can even here the female officer tell her, "calm down hun." the one dude who looks back at the camera has an expression on his face like his job really sucks sometimes. i'd feel bad if im wrong, but i doubt i am.

firepalm
02-04-2008, 01:56 PM
This is appalling & people (US citizens in particular) should speak out and let the Stark County Sheriff Timothy of Swanson, Ohio know their feelings.

Here's his homepage; http://www.sheriff.co.stark.oh.us/
From his homepage; "The Sheriff is charged with the responsibility of maintaining the public peace and protecting the lives and property of all citizens in Stark County."

This is his email; strkshrf@raex.com

Personally I think US Citizens & non US citizens' should step up & let him know how appalling the conduct of his officers' was and that they should be held accountable. The Police should not just be given a free pass to do something of this nature. :mad:

cjurakpt
02-04-2008, 02:33 PM
some questions: what happened to her initially? why was she injured in the first place? what did she do that caused the officers to treat her in the manner they did? I am not in any way attempting to justify their behavior, I am just curious, because it's clear that there were some gross errors in judgement on the officer's part, even if the strip search was warranted (e.g. - having male officers conduct the search, leaving her in the cell for 6 hours naked); as the report states, there is a lack of clarity as to what happened - I mean, it strikes me as odd that her giving the wrong license could, in and of itself, precipitate the sort of inappropriate, disproportionate response shown on the video; lastly, WHY was the whole episode taped to begin with, and how did that tape come into the plaintiff's hands? I mean, if the officers were in the wrong, they'd have to be nuts to allow someone to tape, and even more so to release it - let's be honest, officers who know they are breaking the law are not so stupid as to allow someone to tape them, right? it suggests that they thought that their response was warranted, and might have taped it as proof that their actions were commensurate to the situation (not saying anything about their judgement in general); here's another question: where was hubby during all of this? he seems very straight laced and concerned, but where was he when his wife was assaulted / in an altercation? or when the cops came? or when she was at the jail house? if it were me and my wife was brought in for any reason, I'd be down there with my lawyer getting her released or at least getting in to see her;

there just something seems strange about the whole thing that I can't quite put my finger on...

also, I agree with GDA - the officer's demeanor is very measured, and they are not being abusive per se - if someone told you that the woman in question was a strung out crystal meth fiend, I think people would be impressed by how calm and professional they were handling someone who was out of her mind; again, I really wonder what happened to get things to that point...

kwaichang
02-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Point
A. the lady was assaulted by her cousin
B. she accidentaly gave them the ID of her deceased sister
C. He wouldnt give it back and responded with a derogatory statement.
D. NO ONE SHOULD BE DONE THAT WAY NO MATTER WHAT THE OFFENSE
E. Males should not have been there
F. If they REALLY wanted to protect her they should have and are required to take her to a Hospital
G. MK you slay me trying to justify their actions.
H. If it had been your wife or Mother you would have been Royaly Pi$$ed.

This is a blatant attack on our Civil rights strip the Cops down and put them on public display and sue them as well. You guys need a reality check. KC

kwaichang
02-04-2008, 07:45 PM
All a bunch of perverts
Couple sues over Stark County incident

By LARRY SHIELDS, Salem News staff writer

SALEM — A Salem couple cited Stark County commissioners, the sheriff, a deputy and 15 unnamed John and Jane Does in a federal lawsuit claiming violations of their rights under the Fourth, Eighth and 14th Amendments to the Constitution.

Hope and Greg Steffey filed the action last October in the United States District Court in Cleveland.

Greg Steffey is the athletic director at Salem High School.

According to court documents, Hope Steffey claims assault, battery, unreasonable seizure and deliberate indifference by failing to provide adequate medical care, while both claim damage from “unreasonable governmental actions by the defendants.”

Named as defendants are Sheriff Timothy A. Swanson, the three commissioners, Deputy Richard T. Gurlea, along with John and Jane Does numbers one through 15.

The Stark County Sheriff reportedly denied the allegations.

The narrative of court documents said that on Oct. 20, 2006 Hope Steffey was allegedly assaulted by another woman on Weimer Dr. S.E. and Gurlea responded, questioned Steffey and asked for identification and she “mistakenly” produced the driver’s license of her dead sister, which she kept as a personal memento.

She immediately recognized her mistake and asked for it back, but Gurlea allegedly refused.

Documents say she “begged” for the return of her license but it wasn’t returned.

The deputy then ran a computer check of the right license and Steffey’s cousin noticed a bald spot on her head from the assault.

The cousin “reminded” the deputy that Steffey was the victim while advising Steffey of the hair loss which made her visibly upset.

The documents alleged Gurlea failed to call for medical assistance despite knowledge Steffey was injured.

Gurlea the, documents allege, warned Steffey to calm down and Steffey replied she was upset and could exercise her freedom of speech and her cousin again attempted to remind the deputy that Steffey was the victim and she had been knocked unconscious by the assailant.

The deputy allegedly refused to acknowledge her injuries.

Court documents said that after searching Steffey’s car, he turned to the two and questioned the cousin when Steffey asked for her sister’s license back.

Gurlea allegedly turned angrily and responded “shut up about your dead sister.”

Steffey pointed her finger at her sister’s license in the deputy’s pocket and said, “she was here, she was someone” and Gurlea allegedly, suddenly exploded into a rage and allegedly slammed her face into his cruiser breaking a tooth, and pinning her against the cruiser, allegedly saying, “are you going to stop?”

The documents allege Gurlea then threw her to the ground causing cuts and bruises and with the weight of his body on her she could not breathe.

Steffey was then handcuffed and told to sit in the cruiser.

At the county jail, court documents allege she was knocked to the ground with male deputies/guard/staff present.

She was questioned and allegedly strip searched without authorization, pursuant to law and policy.

Steffey was allegedly held to the ground and stripped completely naked and left inside the jail cell for six hours without a blanket and “in order to try to keep warm, and regain dignity” she “wrapped herself in toilet paper to prevent the Sheriff’s deputies/guards/staff from seeing her naked.”

The documents allege she was not permitted access to a telephone; was not “booked” for six hours; didn’t receive “reasonable” medical attention for six over hours; repeatedly called for help; went without clothing; spent the entire night in jail naked; and was “eventually” advised by a guard she was charged with resisting and disorderly conduct.

The documents allege she was physically and emotionally brutalized while Gurlea and the John and Jane Does “sought charges against” her to cover up their “unreasonable acts and omissions.”

Greg Steffey claims to have lost the love, society, affection and consortium of his wife as a direct result of the actions and inactions of the defendants in one of the six claims for relief.

The 16-page complaint notes in the fifth claim for relief that the sheriff produced thousands of pages of requested records, but “specifically failed to produce the videotape of the strip search.”

It added, “The available public records indicate the videotape camera that would have captured the incident was functioning.”

Since the October filing, Cleveland television Channel 3 WKYC obtained and posted a video clip of the strip search at: http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=82447

The Cleveland station featured the incident on its Thursday night news program and also was to air a second part Friday night.

The couple demands a trial by jury with damages for medical care, incurred bills and future expenses, while demanding judgment in an amount in excess of the courts jurisdictional minimum; punitive damages to be determined at trial; equitable relief; attorney’s fees, costs of action and other associate costs; and any and all other relief the court deem equitable, necessary and just.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: KC

MasterKiller
02-04-2008, 07:49 PM
G. MK you slay me trying to justify their actions.

Why single me out? GDA, cjurakpt, and others all asked the same questions I did; in fact, they were even more inquisitive.

You have a special boner for me or something?

kwaichang
02-04-2008, 08:10 PM
No but everyone else seemed to see it for what it was not make excuses for the FUZZ KC

David Jamieson
02-05-2008, 04:33 AM
they just threw out a case of corruption against the cops in the city i live because it "took to long".

meanwhile, they're having a multimillion dollar enquiry about how one businessman should be deported or not depending on the results of teh inquiry regarding money he gave our former prime minister.

If you think your system isn't corrput and falling apart and if you think you are not slowly degrading into a police state and in many cases are already there, then you are blind. If you still refuse to accept it as a real and tangible thing that is going on, then on top of blind, you are willfully ignorant.

If you think that the last 8 years were sorta ok and that things haven't gotten that much worse, then I am afraid the diagnosis for what you have is called stupidity.

Hate to throw it in with the tinfoil hat gang, but as a society, we are severly failing and the descent is rapid.

keep training, you'll probably need it eventually.

kwaichang
02-05-2008, 05:09 AM
Couldnt agree more DJ. KC

sanjuro_ronin
02-05-2008, 05:53 AM
All a bunch of perverts
Couple sues over Stark County incident

By LARRY SHIELDS, Salem News staff writer

SALEM — A Salem couple cited Stark County commissioners, the sheriff, a deputy and 15 unnamed John and Jane Does in a federal lawsuit claiming violations of their rights under the Fourth, Eighth and 14th Amendments to the Constitution.

Hope and Greg Steffey filed the action last October in the United States District Court in Cleveland.

Greg Steffey is the athletic director at Salem High School.

According to court documents, Hope Steffey claims assault, battery, unreasonable seizure and deliberate indifference by failing to provide adequate medical care, while both claim damage from “unreasonable governmental actions by the defendants.”

Named as defendants are Sheriff Timothy A. Swanson, the three commissioners, Deputy Richard T. Gurlea, along with John and Jane Does numbers one through 15.

The Stark County Sheriff reportedly denied the allegations.

The narrative of court documents said that on Oct. 20, 2006 Hope Steffey was allegedly assaulted by another woman on Weimer Dr. S.E. and Gurlea responded, questioned Steffey and asked for identification and she “mistakenly” produced the driver’s license of her dead sister, which she kept as a personal memento.

She immediately recognized her mistake and asked for it back, but Gurlea allegedly refused.

Documents say she “begged” for the return of her license but it wasn’t returned.

The deputy then ran a computer check of the right license and Steffey’s cousin noticed a bald spot on her head from the assault.

The cousin “reminded” the deputy that Steffey was the victim while advising Steffey of the hair loss which made her visibly upset.

The documents alleged Gurlea failed to call for medical assistance despite knowledge Steffey was injured.

Gurlea the, documents allege, warned Steffey to calm down and Steffey replied she was upset and could exercise her freedom of speech and her cousin again attempted to remind the deputy that Steffey was the victim and she had been knocked unconscious by the assailant.

The deputy allegedly refused to acknowledge her injuries.

Court documents said that after searching Steffey’s car, he turned to the two and questioned the cousin when Steffey asked for her sister’s license back.

Gurlea allegedly turned angrily and responded “shut up about your dead sister.”

Steffey pointed her finger at her sister’s license in the deputy’s pocket and said, “she was here, she was someone” and Gurlea allegedly, suddenly exploded into a rage and allegedly slammed her face into his cruiser breaking a tooth, and pinning her against the cruiser, allegedly saying, “are you going to stop?”

The documents allege Gurlea then threw her to the ground causing cuts and bruises and with the weight of his body on her she could not breathe.

Steffey was then handcuffed and told to sit in the cruiser.

At the county jail, court documents allege she was knocked to the ground with male deputies/guard/staff present.

She was questioned and allegedly strip searched without authorization, pursuant to law and policy.

Steffey was allegedly held to the ground and stripped completely naked and left inside the jail cell for six hours without a blanket and “in order to try to keep warm, and regain dignity” she “wrapped herself in toilet paper to prevent the Sheriff’s deputies/guards/staff from seeing her naked.”

The documents allege she was not permitted access to a telephone; was not “booked” for six hours; didn’t receive “reasonable” medical attention for six over hours; repeatedly called for help; went without clothing; spent the entire night in jail naked; and was “eventually” advised by a guard she was charged with resisting and disorderly conduct.

The documents allege she was physically and emotionally brutalized while Gurlea and the John and Jane Does “sought charges against” her to cover up their “unreasonable acts and omissions.”

Greg Steffey claims to have lost the love, society, affection and consortium of his wife as a direct result of the actions and inactions of the defendants in one of the six claims for relief.

The 16-page complaint notes in the fifth claim for relief that the sheriff produced thousands of pages of requested records, but “specifically failed to produce the videotape of the strip search.”

It added, “The available public records indicate the videotape camera that would have captured the incident was functioning.”

Since the October filing, Cleveland television Channel 3 WKYC obtained and posted a video clip of the strip search at: http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=82447

The Cleveland station featured the incident on its Thursday night news program and also was to air a second part Friday night.

The couple demands a trial by jury with damages for medical care, incurred bills and future expenses, while demanding judgment in an amount in excess of the courts jurisdictional minimum; punitive damages to be determined at trial; equitable relief; attorney’s fees, costs of action and other associate costs; and any and all other relief the court deem equitable, necessary and just.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: KC

Most of you know how much I support LEO's, but this is quite disgusting.
Yes, this is only THEIR version of what happened and as in most things, there are 3 verisions : "his", "hers" and the truth, BUT, I find what actually did happened (the facts) quite disturbing and wonder how exactly they are going to justify this.

If indeed it is how it has been laid out, if I was an LEO in that department I would feel ashamed to be associated with such people.

SERVE and PROTECT.

I sorry state of affairs regardless of outcome.

Black Jack II
02-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Hate to throw it in with the tinfoil hat gang, but as a society, we are severly failing and the descent is rapid.

Sorry to break it to you David, you have always been in that gang.:rolleyes:

MasterKiller
02-05-2008, 09:19 AM
No but everyone else seemed to see it for what it was not make excuses for the FUZZ KC

LOL. I hate cops.

Black Jack II
02-05-2008, 10:22 AM
LOL. I hate cops.

That is a mature viewpoint:rolleyes:

MasterKiller
02-05-2008, 10:25 AM
That is a mature viewpoint:rolleyes:

You try being a brother and getting shaken down for driving your pimped out 1996 Nissan pickup while drinking a Snapple.

sanjuro_ronin
02-05-2008, 10:37 AM
You try being a brother and getting shaken down for driving your pimped out 1996 Nissan pickup while drinking a Snapple.

Anyone drinking a snapple should get cavity searched.
:D

Black Jack II
02-05-2008, 11:03 AM

Ok, but your way to smart to say you hate all cops. Let's be honest.

I don't hate all Asian cleaners because mine lost a good shirt. I mean they all can't just sit their and smile at me like they are semi-retarded.

MasterKiller
02-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Well, I hate all the one's I've met so far.

Becca
02-05-2008, 11:49 AM
until we know everything i cant pass judgement. police dont just strip search you to see women naked.

as for staying in a cell for 6 hours, thats cruel and unusual punishment. i do not agree.

agreed. That was hard to watch, but cops who are in the wrong are not in the habit of making the video evidence available to the press.

cerebus
02-05-2008, 04:22 PM
That woman and her lawyer will be wealthy when all is said and done. Yes, it sounds like the sheriff's office really focked themselves with the way they handled the whole thing.

Shaolinlueb
02-06-2008, 12:23 PM
the real thing is, if you dont want your rights violated, dont **** up.

Mr Punch
02-06-2008, 10:13 PM
I'd be wanting to know wtf she was doing in the States!

:mad::mad::mad:

Mr Punch
02-06-2008, 10:15 PM
This man and his lawyer are asshats who are contributing to trivialising and otherwise making a mockery of the legal system.

kwaichang
02-06-2008, 11:11 PM
The 2 words Legal System are a mockery to themselves KC