PDA

View Full Version : Top Ramen

D-FENS
02-03-2008, 09:12 PM
All right, I know this is kind of a weird and random question, but for the health junkies on this board, are there any known risks to consuming significant amounts of this product? The reason is simply that I'm a broke son of a b!tch and can't afford the good stuff (i.e. wheat noodles). I know they have some preservatives, but whenever I cook them I get rid of the flavor packet since that's where the majority of the sodium is, add an assortment of steamed veggies/chicken/etc, and it's actually become somewhat of an art form for me. Of all the possible culinary vices I'd say that's my only one.

So, what's the deal? Am I gonna die if I eat 'em every day? Or am I overanalyzing this just a hair?

Lucas
02-08-2008, 02:39 PM
You will die one thousand deaths!

j/k :P

I have no idea, I cant stand top ramen. Simply because in the past there have been times when I have had to consume mass quantaties as well.

I didnt die one thousand deaths, I didnt even die one. You should be okay I would assume, especially if you are adding fresh veggies and getting rid of the "flavor packet"

But im no expert.

GeneChing
02-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Many cheap ramens are high in msg and cottonseed oil. Nasty stuff that. I've eaten a lot of it in my day too, but now I only get the better stuff. You're not doing yourself any favors by eating cheap ramen. You'd do much better on a low budget diet of beans and rice.

There used to be a brand of ramen called "kung fu noodles". I tried them once for a laugh. They were horrible.

Egg fu young
02-08-2008, 03:25 PM
If I recall the MSG tricks the part of the taste buds that register "filling/satisfying" they were invented post WWII because the Japanese inventor was afraid his country was going to starve. I have lived on those things in the past. I did years of my lunch being a can of Tuna mixed with a drained ramen and butter. I just wish they weren't fried. I spent 8 hours at work once googling ramen and learned alot.:D

Lucas
02-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Many cheap ramens are high in msg and cottonseed oil. Nasty stuff that. I've eaten a lot of it in my day too, but now I only get the better stuff. You're not doing yourself any favors by eating cheap ramen. You'd do much better on a low budget diet of beans and rice.

There used to be a brand of ramen called "kung fu noodles". I tried them once for a laugh. They were horrible.

lol, i have a pack of the kungfu noodles on my bookshelf holding some books up.

HtownShaolinBum
02-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Well, you are getting rid of the massive amounts of Sodium Chloride, and various other Sodium containing crap (msg or sodium benzoate are pretty common in ramen. The flavor packet is where alot of the bad stuff is at.

Other than that, it is just the fat content, but if you are training regularly, then fat won't hurt you. Also, you are adding steam veggies and chicken, which adds some protein and fiber nutrition to ramens lack thereof. I dont see how it could be bad for you, especially in comparison to fast food. Sounds pretty flavorless though.

SevenStar
02-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Considering you don't use the flavor pack anyway, I'd just go buy spaghetti or some other pasta. It's inexpensive also, and it tastes better.

IronFist
02-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Dude, at least spend the extra 5 cents and get a brand better than Top Ramen.

Maruchan or Nissin, or if you're ballin out of control, Sapporo Ichiban or whatever it's called.

Vash
02-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Dude, at least spend the extra 5 cents and get a brand better than Top Ramen.

Maruchan or Nissin, or if you're ballin out of control, Sapporo Ichiban or whatever it's called.

That has to be the best use of " ballin' " by a white guy in . . . well, forever.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-18-2008, 10:25 PM
oddly enough i am currently eating my very first packet of ramen noodles in years. my buddy just moved and gave me some protein powder and a family pack of ramen noodles. they aren't very tasty. i may try to stir fry some up with some veggies before giving the rest away.

HtownShaolinBum
02-19-2008, 02:24 PM
oddly enough i am currently eating my very first packet of ramen noodles in years. my buddy just moved and gave me some protein powder and a family pack of ramen noodles. they aren't very tasty. i may try to stir fry some up with some veggies before giving the rest away.

Is your avatar/ user comment a reference to the "winning arguments on the internet is like winning the special olympics" saying.

Haha, subtle, but very funny.

TenTigers
02-19-2008, 03:39 PM
(shhhh, secret post...)
Barilla makes a good high protien pasta. Buy some elbow macaroni, or some other shape you enjoy (pasta is basically a play-doh fun factory-different shapes of the same dough) Cook up a s**tload, drain and put in a huge bowl. then take two cans of tuna,drained and throw it in, chop up some onion, add mayo, salt and pepper to taste,and voila! You have a high protien, low cost meal for a few days. Keep it in the fridge and enjoy.

Eggs are cheap and rich in protien. Egg salad is easy to make-hard-boiled eggs, mayo and chopped onion. Bread is freakin cheap-a good whole grain bread is a dollar and change a loaf.
(mayo and onion rule!)

Peanut butter-excellent cheap protien-PB&J, peanut butter and bananna samich washed down with a tall glass of milk-big protien!

Cheaper cuts of meat can be stewed long in a pot, throw in some potatoes,carrots,onion, and you have a great stew. (most Jewish/Russian soul food is just methods of eating on a budget-pot roast, flanken, corned beef, etc)

Chicken can be cheap-thighs are less expensive than breast. Bone is cheaper than boneless.
Chopped chuck is cheaper than sirloin, leaner cuts are cheaper than "marbled" cuts of beef. Stew it, or cut it small and stir-fry-add chopped vegies, garlic,a dash of soy sauce and you have great food.
Cooking is like Gung-Fu-you will only be limited by your imagination.
you can eat well, and cheap. It just takes a bit of imagination.

Hendrik
02-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Taking Partial or full Hydrogenated fat or Trans Fat is just like keep coating the body's bio cell with a plastic coating.

Taking all those soft drink is just like keep poluted the body with toxic fluid.

Taking white sugar, flour, rice.... is just like taking addictive candy.

The training of Shen, Qi, and Yee is in a big time block via these modern highly process food.

Take care of the nature, Take care of the eco, take care of one's body for that is one's temple or vehicle to see God, Dao, or Buddha.

In the Chinese Buddhism practice, Food is a very important core. Buddhist dont take meat...onion...etc to keep the body balance and clear. Now, with all these Plastic coading fat and toxic.....

How are we going to even think about get our Kung Fu training work properly?
People talk about this type of Kung and that type of Kung or Shao Lin Yi Jing Jing or the Wudang.... but without proper food, how is those kung going to be attained? not to mention, one might not even get a clear mind or mood.

Die is not a problem for everyone die. but then, to be the slave of medication and living as a living death without a clear mind is a problem.

Can food is also cause issue since it is highly process.

If one is traing in Qigong and keep taking these high process modern food. what is the out come? well, at Damo time, there is no such issue. and thus how do you expect Damo's kung work today?

eat something simple and fresh, some vegi, some butter, some coconut, some brown rice, some fruits.... it doenst have to be luxury stuffs. it only needs to be as close to nature grown as possible and return to the village food in the old time....

BTW one dont need to take those salt at all. Nature vegi has those stuffs...

But then, the main issue is do one determine to not get control by the taste or convernient.... Taste and convernient, or Kung Fu and freedom, your choice.

Educate ourself on fat,

http://coconutoil.com/diet_disease.htm
http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/butter.html

take good care of your body, and your mind will be clear, and then take good care of the Nature for we all live in the Nature.

Pk_StyLeZ
02-19-2008, 08:57 PM
so u a broke son of a b!tch.....but u can afford steam veggies and chicken....
fool go cook up some white rice and eat it with steam veggies and chicken.....
im sure that has to be better than ramen

Becca
02-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Well I don't know if it's good for me, but I love chicken flaver cup-of-noodles. I eat it several times a week. They have only 300 calories a cup, 7g of protein, and they fill me up for hours.

herb ox
02-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Ramen noodles are generally deep fried before drying into that little square patty... so, overall, even the noodles themselves are not so great. High in sodium and MSG (even worse for you) and hydrolyzed vegetable protein (an MSG analogue).

FWIW, i really like Shin Ramen, a Korean brand. The noodles are really thick, and the portion in pretty substantial, more than the usual. The 'soup' is super spicy and will make you sweat. In Korea, this brand is often used, even at restaurants, who add a bunch of other stuff to it for a tasty hot snack.

IMHO you'd be better off with a simple diet of rice and kimchi.

The food industry is trying to kill the poor folks with all that cr@p they put in our most inexpensive foods. And the Glutamate Association lobby group keeps it that way.

be well

herb ox

D-FENS
02-20-2008, 01:52 PM
It's true... Shin Ramen is actually one of the best brands you can get for your money. Less preservatives, better ingredients (my favorite is the lobster one) and like most Korean food it'll warm you up and make you sweat like Ron Jeremy. Great on cold rainy days like this one.

Thanks for the recipe, TT. I'm gonna try it this weekend.

Mantis_Student
02-20-2008, 02:31 PM
I was in the store the other day and I wound up by the Ramen. I noticed that there was a healthier Ramen. Its a bit more expensive (34 cents a pack) but the noodles are baked (not fried) and there is less sodium as well. I bought about six packages to try out and its pretty good.

BlueTravesty
02-20-2008, 08:13 PM
I was in the store the other day and I wound up by the Ramen. I noticed that there was a healthier Ramen. Its a bit more expensive (34 cents a pack) but the noodles are baked (not fried) and there is less sodium as well. I bought about six packages to try out and its pretty good.

I purchased a few packs of a brand called "Choice Ramen" by Nissin (I think.) I was quite surprised- for being much healthier it was pretty good. My wife loved the fact that there were lots of noodles too (I like the broth better.)

I like to indulge in the Shin Ramyun stuff every once in a while too though. That broth is simply the best.

monji112000
02-20-2008, 10:34 PM
All right, I know this is kind of a weird and random question, but for the health junkies on this board, are there any known risks to consuming significant amounts of this product? The reason is simply that I'm a broke son of a b!tch and can't afford the good stuff (i.e. wheat noodles). I know they have some preservatives, but whenever I cook them I get rid of the flavor packet since that's where the majority of the sodium is, add an assortment of steamed veggies/chicken/etc, and it's actually become somewhat of an art form for me. Of all the possible culinary vices I'd say that's my only one.

So, what's the deal? Am I gonna die if I eat 'em every day? Or am I overanalyzing this just a hair?

Its always going to be cheaper to cook your own food. Get a Asian size bag of rice (cheap as hell becouse of the bulk). Get some cheap soup base, thats all you need.
When you buy meat freeze it and then shave off small amounts little by little. You don't want to know how much I spent last fall on food. Its really not a great diet for training... ( OK yah I should have realized that). I am adding allot of veggies and fruit to that diet. Fresh veggies and fruit are dirt cheap here in Brooklyn.
Bottom line is that your wasting money if your living off packaged noodle soup. That and meal replacement shakes are all I eat. (you can buy them in bulk off the Inet).

Mantis_Student
02-21-2008, 08:47 AM
I purchased a few packs of a brand called "Choice Ramen" by Nissin (I think.) I was quite surprised- for being much healthier it was pretty good. My wife loved the fact that there were lots of noodles too (I like the broth better.)

I like to indulge in the Shin Ramyun stuff every once in a while too though. That broth is simply the best.

That was it "Choice Ramen" not bad stuff and only 140 calories.

unkokusai
02-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Just when you are putting the water in you crack an egg in there with some red pepper and you are in business!

Pk_StyLeZ
02-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Just when you are putting the water in you crack an egg in there with some red pepper and you are in business!

oooooo so im not the only one that crack an egg in there
i like to add SPAM in there too =D
yum yum yum

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-22-2008, 11:04 AM
In the Chinese Buddhism practice, Food is a very important core. Buddhist dont take meat...onion...etc to keep the body balance and clear. Now, with all these Plastic coading fat and toxic.....

why no onion?

Hendrik
02-23-2008, 09:52 PM
why no onion?

mesh up meditation stability.

D-FENS
02-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Sorry Hendrik, but I'm going to have to call bullsh!t on that one. I eat onions and my meditation is plenty stable. This is exactly the kind of regurgitated dogmatic nonsense that serves to obsfucate the path and keep traditional martial and healing arts at their current level of evolution. Put simply, if eating onions or peppers diminishes the quality of my practice, then I'm a weak person.

The only way an onion can "mesh up meditation stability" is if I accidentally smell my own breath and pass out.:D

Hendrik
02-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Sorry Hendrik, but I'm going to have to call bullsh!t on that one. I eat onions and my meditation is plenty stable.

This is exactly the kind of regurgitated dogmatic nonsense that serves to obsfucate the path and keep traditional martial and healing arts at their current level of evolution.

Put simply, if eating onions or peppers diminishes the quality of my practice, then I'm a weak person.

The only way an onion can "mesh up meditation stability" is if I accidentally smell my own breath and pass out.:D

No need to sorry if you really know the stuffs.

You might be right for your practice.

However, I prefer to follow the Buddhist patriach's instruction.
see, I am not there yet. thus, I rather follow.

AS for your comment on
"This is exactly the kind of regurgitated dogmatic nonsense that serves to obsfucate the path and keep traditional martial and healing arts at their current level of evolution. "

Could you please share with us who you are and what level of martial art and healing arts achievement have you attained? So that we understand where or from what level your perspective comes from?

Oso
03-24-2008, 07:49 PM
I thought onion and garlic was good for the blood?

the 6/$1.00 Ramen is what I used to call my 'defcon 6' broke mode.

defcon 5 was spaghetti w/ragu and splurging for the store brand parmesan and a bottle of boone's farm sangria for a 'special' sunday night dinner.

brown rice, man. check out a hippie health food store for the bulk shiat for cheap.

for a step up, most also have a mean mixed rice blend with several types of whole grain rice and wild rice. yummy, chewy rice wit yer broccolis, karrats and chikcens!

GeneChing
03-27-2008, 12:32 PM
But when I do eat ramen, I crack an egg or two in there, with minced garlic, ginger, lemon, pepper and shoyu. That's a comfort food of mine when I'm sick or hungover.

As for the meditation issues and onions, there is a school of Buddhist thought that forbids the five pungent herbs: onions, garlic, chives, shallots and leeks. This is directly out of several Buddhist sutras, but only some sects maintain this practice. Fortunately, there is diversity in Buddhism, as within any longstanding religion, so the words of Buddha need not always be taken as law in every case. A lot is given to interpretation. Personally, I already gave up several meats, so garlic is too much to ask. :o And nevertheless, D-FENS, you are a weak person for reacting so. Just kidding. :p

This thread got me surfing for a pilgrimage that I was once considering - the ramen museum in Yokohama Japan (http://www.raumen.co.jp/home/index.html).

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Its always going to be cheaper to cook your own food.

gonna have to disagree with that one man. maybe if all you eat are beans and rice, but trying to eat healthy is friggen expensive. im not even talking about buying everything orgainic either ... that gets ridiculous.

Oso
03-27-2008, 04:20 PM
yea, i'll second that...every time I do a dinner up good I spend over $100 for 3-4 people not including alcohol. if you could figure the cost of electricity/gas/water for prepping/cooking/cleaning I don't think you can actually eat great food at home cheaper.

Recipe Alert: sometime this weekend I'll be finalizing my new wing sauce and posting it. It's been a huge hit the last couple of months but I've just been winging it.

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-27-2008, 04:42 PM
.... but I've just been winging it.

oicwutudidthare

Oso
03-27-2008, 04:48 PM
what?:confused:

Hendrik
03-27-2008, 06:52 PM
But when I do eat ramen, I crack an egg or two in there, with minced garlic, ginger, lemon, pepper and shoyu. That's a comfort food of mine when I'm sick or hungover.

As for the meditation issues and onions, there is a school of Buddhist thought that forbids the five pungent herbs: onions, garlic, chives, shallots and leeks. This is directly out of several Buddhist sutras, but only some sects maintain this practice. Fortunately, there is diversity in Buddhism, as within any longstanding religion, so the words of Buddha need not always be taken as law in every case. A lot is given to interpretation. Personally, I already gave up several meats, so garlic is too much to ask. :o And nevertheless, D-FENS, you are a weak person for reacting so. Just kidding. :p

This thread got me surfing for a pilgrimage that I was once considering - the ramen museum in Yokohama Japan (http://www.raumen.co.jp/home/index.html).

" Ananda, all living beings can live if they eat what is sweet. and they will die if they take poison. Being who seek samadhi should refrain from eating five pungent plants of this world.

If these five are eaten cooked, they increase one's sexual desire; If they are eaten raw, they increase one's anger..." --- Shurangama Sutra

Shurangama sutra is the core of Zen practice . Zen or Chan patriach Hsu Yun of china in early/mid 1900's place Shurangama as the top instruction need to be follow while practicing Zen.

We like it or not. There is no discount on price. it is a causal world as it said we are what we eat.

peace

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-27-2008, 09:39 PM
" Ananda, all living beings can live if they eat what is sweet. and they will die if they take poison. Being who seek samadhi should refrain from eating five pungent plants of this world.

If these five are eaten cooked, they increase one's sexual desire; If they are eaten raw, they increase one's anger..." --- Shurangama Sutra

Shurangama sutra is the core of Zen practice . Zen or Chan patriach Hsu Yun of china in early/mid 1900's place Shurangama as the top instruction need to be follow while practicing Zen.

We like it or not. There is no discount on price. it is a causal world as it said we are what we eat.

peace

maybe they were mistaken.

Hendrik
03-28-2008, 09:10 AM
maybe they were mistaken.

have you ever wonder how come less and lesser could really attain samadhi or having real kung fu in this era?

perhaps it is because the mind get too smart to play lawyer on something it has no clue all day long instead of really practising and then describe what is going on after attain the state?

GeneChing
03-28-2008, 09:37 AM
...even if it improves my practice. No, I confess. I'm totally attached to garlic. If that's what's keeping me from crossing over, so be it.

Of course, all things are impermanent. I was totally attached to beef too and I did give that up.

Hendrik
03-28-2008, 11:05 AM
In my experience with the Gurus...Patriach... they draw a clear line but they leave it to everyone to choose their level of practice.
Human is a complicated.

It seems that the advance or deeper the level of the cultivation the more sensitive they are to the food, thoughts, emotion.....etc. in those states, lots of things was given up or cut off naturally because they know the cause and effect, they can feel the restless energy flow.

On the other hand, even the Buddha takes milk/gee/butter (sp?) as the story told before the Buddha's enligtenment, he took some milk or gee? due to his body is too weak. his body needs it.

In today's language, Milk or Butter has animal fat related vitamine A which vegitable or plant doesnt provide.... so vegitarian must be very carefull.

So, IMHO, these all are energy inter action deal. how to keep a balance is the key. and even the Buddha is not examp on it.

I have big concern on the modern city Chinese way of vegitarian food and diet.

It is going to cause trouble if they dont have a balance diet. Buddhism Vegitarian is great for practicing compassionate, however, one needs to learn to be compassionate to oneself of knowing what is a balance diet too. otherwise it is suicide in the name of compassionate.

so many thing to learn in this journey.....

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-28-2008, 02:33 PM
sometimes really smart people, even wise people, mistake correlations for a causal relationship.