PDA

View Full Version : Pillar Bag vs. Hanging Bag

KPM
02-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Hey Guys!

I was in Iraq for a year and had only a hanging heavy bag to work with for over a year. Now I am home and have been using my pillar bag. By this I mean the free-standing bags where the base is filled with water.

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&categoryid=bf98fb84-4266-4051-8b86-8a05fab1c44a&subcategoryid=65b4a054-a38a-4cc1-b617-4430ad8613ff&itemguid=8595ebfd-c422-4a05-9532-f69b8b9bcbac

I thought I would share some of my observations and see if anyone else has noted something similar.

I've decided I like the pillar bag better than the hanging bags. It seems to have a more natural movement. It moves from the top down, just like a real opponent would move when you hit them. Hanging bags move from the bottom up. I have mine on a smooth concrete floor, so it slides a bit. I've found that this is a good thing, because when applying forward pressure on the bag it actually moves and doesn't just swing. I also find it good for practicing "taking space" from the opponent with something like Lon Sao, again because the pillar bag will actually tilt and pivot rather than swing. Another big benefit, and the reason I got a pillar bag instead of a hanging bag in the first place.....its ideal for training areas where you don't have a solid structure to hang a bag from and you don't have room for one of those big stands for hanging bags. The pillar bag can be rolled into an out-of-the-way corner when not being used and then rolled right out into the middle of your training area when you are ready for it.

donbdc
02-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Hey thanks for the post. I was always curious about how those bags worked. I even turned down a free one b/c I didn't think they would be as good as a hanging bag:o. Oh well!
Any way did you see this months issue of Inside Kungfu. My right knee made the photo, yipee!

KPM
02-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Hey thanks for the post. I was always curious about how those bags worked. I even turned down a free one b/c I didn't think they would be as good as a hanging bag:o. Oh well!
Any way did you see this months issue of Inside Kungfu. My right knee made the photo, yipee!

Yes! I have it! In which photo did your auspicious knee make its photographic debut?

donbdc
02-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Inside cover top right snapshot, I am the 3rd guy on the right side, more of partial head and shoulder. Standing next to the asian guy (Carl, or the evil Dr. Chui as I call him.)

Phil Redmond
02-04-2008, 04:24 PM
IMO the problem with a hanging bag is the people don't hang. Now if you have a hanging bag that is secured to the floor that's different. I prefer a "Pillar" type bag because it's more like striking a rooted human.

donbdc
02-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks Phil,
what you guys say make a lot of sense. However, occasionally I like to pummel folks when they're hangin:D

monji112000
02-07-2008, 11:21 AM
IMO the problem with a hanging bag is the people don't hang. Now if you have a hanging bag that is secured to the floor that's different. I prefer a "Pillar" type bag because it's more like striking a rooted human.
I see what you mean but, a hanging bag can be very good for training timing and distance. The bag moves just like people. You must learn to time your attacks, and play with evading and jamming. You can really do allot with a good heavy bag (I love the thai bags).
If you were to get only one, I would always buy a heavy bag. JMO I also use a slip ball, speed ball ect..
I will use anything that I think will help.
yes people don't hang, they move. its not exactly like a person moving... but its better than a static target. If you get a good bag it wont move that much.

sanjuro_ronin
02-07-2008, 11:25 AM

I try to use both, the problem is that the "stand -up" bags don't last very long or they are too soft.

donbdc
02-08-2008, 07:54 AM
To be honest,
I have always use kicking shields and focus mits, thats were most of my training has been. except for endurance training on heavy bags. Space has always been an issue for me. I have tried to use a double end bag, talk about a humbling experience! My early CRCA/JKD instructor Wayne Jackson was a master at it. He would say, "repitition is the mother of skill". As w/ anything a tool has to be trained. I am looking fwd togetting a stand up, I wish i hadn't of turned the 2 free ones down now:o