PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here know where, and how to buy Gold Bullion?

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-04-2008, 05:07 PM
I am interested in collecting Gold coins, and small bars. There seems to be a lot of "Internet" sites, and I know how to buy contracts to controll it on the Futures markets, but where can I go and actually buy and sell the actual physical Gold?

I thought that would be something you would do at a bank, but when I asked they just look at my like a deer in the headlites.

Ben Gash
02-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Think of the practicalities of it. Do you have a large safe and contracted security? No? Then you'll need to get a safety deposit box, which for the amounts I'd imagine you're talking about would eat up a fair amount of your gains. Gold and mining stocks are a much more feasible proposition.

David Jamieson
02-04-2008, 05:57 PM
coins.

ingots? you do realize it's floating around the 900$ an ounce mark and that the price is being driven up so tat all the holders can dump it and focus their money into the same fabric the federal treasury is made out of, I.E mutual fund groups and other forms of worthless paper.

if you want a solid investment, buy land, they will not make any more of it. It's the only thing worth investing in, the rest is smoke and mirrors for the most part or a board game on a wall that floats all over, but land prices just have staying power and don't drop. also, be sure to acquire the mineral rights and rights to any other resources that may be under the land you purchase.

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Gold is down right now on a retracement. I want to buy some, hold it for a few weeks and sell it again.

The idea is to buy the dips, and then sell the highs and continually reinvest the profits with my Daughter to teach her the basics of trading. She isn't showing an interest in actual trading, but will buy and sell real Gold with me because it's shiny and she is female.

Also, if I hold $5000.00 worth of Gold in my safe here, it is no different than my Neighbor and his $5000.00 sound system...only the Gold will not be blaring it's existence to the whole town and every criminal who drives by.

Also, the Mob holds SIC amounts of wealth in Cash in thier homes in the form of Wall safes, basement boxes (Floor safes in the basement for those not familliar with the term), and in various other means. Drug dealers do the same, all with no worries of loss.

If I was to hold more than $5000.00, I would just trade Gold on the Futures markets (Which I do anyway)

My interest right now is $100.00 Gold coins. I will buy the first one, and it will be her job to figure the times to buy and sell so the money doubles. She gets the second one once that happens.

WinterPalm
02-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Why not invest in cows and chickens and stuff?
Plant some tomatoes and get a gun.

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-04-2008, 06:27 PM
I live in an apartment. Cows and Chickens are too much trouble and require too much up keep.

If I plant Tomatoes, I will eat them, and not make money on them.

Trading Guns requires a license, would generate too many questions and too much difficulty.

Trading Gold coins should be easy. I have just never done it. I suspect it would be not much harder than trading baseball cards though.

SifuAbel
02-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Gold is down right now on a retracement. I want to buy some, hold it for a few weeks and sell it again.

The idea is to buy the dips, and then sell the highs and continually reinvest the profits with my Daughter to teach her the basics of trading. She isn't showing an interest in actual trading, but will buy and sell real Gold with me because it's shiny and she is female.

Also, if I hold $5000.00 worth of Gold in my safe here, it is no different than my Neighbor and his $5000.00 sound system...only the Gold will not be blaring it's existence to the whole town and every criminal who drives by.

Also, the Mob holds SIC amounts of wealth in Cash in thier homes in the form of Wall safes, basement boxes (Floor safes in the basement for those not familliar with the term), and in various other means. Drug dealers do the same, all with no worries of loss.

If I was to hold more than $5000.00, I would just trade Gold on the Futures markets (Which I do anyway)

My interest right now is $100.00 Gold coins. I will buy the first one, and it will be her job to figure the times to buy and sell so the money doubles. She gets the second one once that happens.

Why don't you just trade gold stocks? Like Yamana (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AUY), etc

1bad65
02-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Read about the Ted Binion murder case. He had alot of bullion buried underground when he was murdered.

Mr Punch
02-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Pssst, I got some...

I shaped a scale model of London Bridge out of it...

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-04-2008, 07:42 PM
LOL!!

Why don't you just trade gold stocks? Like Yamana, etc

Reply]
She is 17. She won't be bothered with that. She needs something concrete and shiny to keep her interested.

HtownShaolinBum
02-04-2008, 09:05 PM
I am interested in collecting Gold coins, and small bars. There seems to be a lot of "Internet" sites, and I know how to buy contracts to controll it on the Futures markets, but where can I go and actually buy and sell the actual physical Gold?

I thought that would be something you would do at a bank, but when I asked they just look at my like a deer in the headlites.

I dont know if you can buy bullion, but I have some coins, each is an ounce.

You might not want to buy gold right now, I heard it is at an all time high.

Mr Punch
02-04-2008, 09:22 PM
She won't be bothered with that. She needs something concrete and shiny to keep her interested.Sprays concrete with gold paint...

I know just the thing!

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I dont know if you can buy bullion, but I have some coins, each is an ounce.

Reply]
I know you can get up to 100oz bars.

Sprays concrete with gold paint...

I know just the thing!

Reply]
LOL!!

SifuAbel
02-05-2008, 12:03 AM
LOL!!

Why don't you just trade gold stocks? Like Yamana, etc

Reply]
She is 17. She won't be bothered with that. She needs something concrete and shiny to keep her interested.

Then you can trade absolutely anything, stamps, coins, baseball cards, comic books, lots of options in the tangibles.

Yum Cha
02-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Can't you get gold kurger rands at the bank? A big one, like city bank. Deutsche Bank used to have them last time I checked.

Buying at the top of the market only leads to tears....

unkokusai
02-05-2008, 12:41 AM
but when I asked they just look at my like a deer in the headlites.

That's not what the look they are giving you means...

Drake
02-05-2008, 02:04 AM
I have a precious metals fund among my investments. It's probably one of the better performers.

David Jamieson
02-05-2008, 04:40 AM
100 dollar gold coins don't cost a hundred dollars.

if you want to buy gold bullion, you basically just open a pawn shop and wait for the meth heads to come and give you their gold jewelry and then you give them back only 5 percent of what it's actually worth by weight and only 1% of what it's worth retail. This way, by ripping off people who are already compromised financially, you will be following in the fine traditions of many capitalist ideals! And you don't have to feel bad about ripping off the poor because hey, they're just a blemish on society anyway right?

anyway...

sanjuro_ronin
02-05-2008, 05:59 AM
coins.

ingots? you do realize it's floating around the 900$ an ounce mark and that the price is being driven up so tat all the holders can dump it and focus their money into the same fabric the federal treasury is made out of, I.E mutual fund groups and other forms of worthless paper.

if you want a solid investment, buy land, they will not make any more of it. It's the only thing worth investing in, the rest is smoke and mirrors for the most part or a board game on a wall that floats all over, but land prices just have staying power and don't drop. also, be sure to acquire the mineral rights and rights to any other resources that may be under the land you purchase.

Lex Luthor is right, er I mean, David is right.
:D

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-05-2008, 11:42 AM
I think Gold has a long way to go before it tops. and even if it tops soon, it's still bouncing off of support right now, so if I buy now, and sell next week when it touches resistance, I will still make money.

Yao Sing
02-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Gold (and Silver) Eagles are considered bullion. Ownership of gold bullion was illegal between 1933 to 1975 but during that time numismatic gold coins were exempt.

So your best bet, IMHO, would be to invest primarily in numismatic coins which would weather another "gold recall" and flesh out the rest of your investment with current Gold Eagles for easy turnover (sell off) if needed.

Collecting Gold Coins (http://www.chubbcollectors.com/Vacnews/index.jsp?form=2&ArticleId=114)

I keep some bulk silver on hand in the form of worn out (very little numismatic value) Silver Dollars along with some newer Silver Eagles. If the FRN's lose their backing I'll still be able to buy foods and other necessities.

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-05-2008, 06:38 PM
I keep some bulk silver on hand in the form of worn out (very little numismatic value) Silver Dollars along with some newer Silver Eagles. If the FRN's lose their backing I'll still be able to buy foods and other necessities

Reply]
That is not a bad idea, I never thought about that. Barring a COMPLETE economic collapse (Which is highly unlikely) the worse the economy, the weaker the Dollar, the more Gold will be worth. In fact in large part, this is why we are seeing the current run up in Gold now....the economy is on the edge of going into full recession. I think an actual depression IS possible too.

HtownShaolinBum
02-06-2008, 12:17 AM
100 dollar gold coins don't cost a hundred dollars.

if you want to buy gold bullion, you basically just open a pawn shop and wait for the meth heads to come and give you their gold jewelry and then you give them back only 5 percent of what it's actually worth by weight and only 1% of what it's worth retail. This way, by ripping off people who are already compromised financially, you will be following in the fine traditions of many capitalist ideals! And you don't have to feel bad about ripping off the poor because hey, they're just a blemish on society anyway right?

anyway...

Uhh, dude, you forgot the part about smelting the jewelry into bars.
what a Noob!:D

xcakid
02-06-2008, 09:07 AM
http://www.monex.com/about/index.html

I worked for them in the mid nineties handling high networth accounts, before I got into fixed income trading and portfolio managment.

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-06-2008, 10:45 AM

Reply]
This is exactly what I am looking for!! Thanx!!

SifuAbel
02-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Wow, thats a cool website.

obsessive attack in 3....2...1.

doug maverick
02-07-2008, 02:12 AM

one your not a drug dealer or mobster two yes they do worry because people know they have that money there and you do have stick up guys who rob drug dealers and mobsters. actually mobsters don't have that many means of making cash to much in america everytime they rear there heads the fbi swipes them off plus they got more rats then a ship, at least the italians anyway. they got so many rats that the feds don't even need to send in under cover agents.as for gold in your house man thats stupid keep that **** in a safety deposit box, there actually not that expensive at least not the two i got in ny.

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-07-2008, 07:39 AM
You are right about the Mob. A bunch of thier Top guys got convicted last summer in Chicago. From what I see it's all a bunch of quasi connected families who support each other's businesses now. The younger generation has quite a bit of wealth now and they don't really risk it on illegal activities. Why run a prostitution ring, when a perfectly legit and legal strip club is just as profitable (More actually), with zero risk of going to jail?

doug maverick
02-07-2008, 01:24 PM
You are right about the Mob. A bunch of thier Top guys got convicted last summer in Chicago. From what I see it's all a bunch of quasi connected families who support each other's businesses now. The younger generation has quite a bit of wealth now and they don't really risk it on illegal activities. Why run a prostitution ring, when a perfectly legit and legal strip club is just as profitable (More actually), with zero risk of going to jail?

strip clubs will never make more money then prostitutes so its deffenately not more profitable. also what you think happens in those strip clubs buddy.

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Actually, Strip clubs can very much make more than prostitution. they deal in vastly more volume and include the sales of alcohol as well.

You will also see these guys into massage parlors and restaurants as too, anything cash...like Car washes.

Although I won't argue prostitution goes on, it's generally not by the owners directive. It's something between the girls and thier clients, not the club owners.

The club owners often have very strict rules against prostitution because of the risk it brings them legally.

You have to remember, the Kids of the Old Mob guys are NOT dumb. They have a lot of wealth built up by thier Fathers and Grandfathers now...IE they have a lot to lose.

Back in their Grandfathers day, they had little, and mob activities were the route to wealth for them, but once they got the wealth, it is not only self sustaining, but self growing.

Running illegal businesses is not worth the risk to the younger generation. They have too much of a fortune to lose so they tend to stay more in the grey areas rather than run out right illegal operations today. Sure, shady deals and operations still occur, but it's not like the old day when the Outfit ran all of Chicago from Elmwood Park. Today, it's more the use of leverage , utilizing influence and muscling deals; deals that are themselves legit. For example, greasing a politition to help get zoning so a perfectly legal Gambling establishment can be opened.

The highly public antics of the Lombardo's and the Crazy horse strip club are the exception today, not the norm. That stuff is really the last dying breath of the old generation than anything.

xcakid
02-07-2008, 03:58 PM

Reply]
This is exactly what I am looking for!! Thanx!!

Welcome.

As far as I know, they are still the only hard asset brokers in the country. With all the anti money laundering laws and patriot act being enacted it gets costly to do compliance and surveillance. They have been in business a long time so they have most of that in place already.

I am sure their fee structures have changed since I have worked there, but if you want to take physical delivery, that cost is very nominal. They also work with a number commercial banks that will take custody of your hard assets. Again for a fee.