PDA

View Full Version : Grandmaster Chan Tai-San & Co. practicing Rope Dart (VIDEO)

Lama Pai Sifu
02-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Just some clips I thought I'd post, from way back in 1991 in my Mineola, NY school.

This one is of Sifu Chan doing a bit of rope dart basics with myself and Sifu Ross.

It's nothing special, I just know that some of you dig clips like this.

Rope Dart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EohseSoCCCU)

Enjoy.

diego
02-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Cool, wish it was longer:). Is the rope dart more of a performance weapon?.

Lama Pai Sifu
02-08-2008, 03:46 PM
It did have some combat applications, I have seen it used expertly in a few movies. I think for today..mostly a practice weapon.

PlumDragon
02-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Fantastic, thanks for posting that! Practice or not, its always hard to find clips of rope dart. What a cool weapon...

diego
02-08-2008, 07:29 PM
It did have some combat applications, I have seen it used expertly in a few movies. I think for today..mostly a practice weapon.

I'm trying to visualize how I would use it if I was a ninja in a bruce flick..it seems a blowgun would be better to take out the gaurd at the gate...:D it just seems like a lot of work to twist and shake and spit the dart at his throat as he lights his smoke...just throw a boulder at his head and punch him out, ****a ninja suit:(

Seppukku
02-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Is this the standard Lead-headed Rope Dart of Fujian Ssu, or the three-by-six-eighths curdled steel rope dart of Pai Mei Quan?

Seppukku
02-09-2008, 06:28 AM
GGM CTS used to say how the Rope Dart was like life, in a lot of ways. I don't remember how, but I'm pretty sure he was right.

cjurakpt
02-09-2008, 06:31 AM
GGM CTS used to say how the Rope Dart was like life, in a lot of ways. I don't remember how, but I'm pretty sure he was right.

a brilliant example of how something that was once marginally funny, finally collapses painfully under the weight of it's own incessant plodding...

lkfmdc
02-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Shaolin Wookie has run out of material :rolleyes:

Lama Pai Sifu
02-10-2008, 06:07 AM
David, NOW do you remember???

lkfmdc
02-10-2008, 02:36 PM
David, NOW do you remember???

no, it must be photoshop :D

wow, stuff I never realized existed, THANKS ;)

Lama Pai Sifu
02-10-2008, 05:06 PM
I have 17 tapes (averaging at least 1 1/4 hours each) of us demo'ing, training and cataloging our forms. There are at least 10 hours or more, of Sifu Chan teaching Bok Mei, Lama, Choy Lay Fut, Mok Ga, Hung Fut and Hung Kuyhn. I've got him teaching at least 13 two person - four person sets along with Heih Gung and tons of applications. I've got about 1/2 of everything digitized so that we will never lose it.

monji112000
02-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I have 17 tapes (averaging at least 1 1/4 hours each) of us demo'ing, training and cataloging our forms. There are at least 10 hours or more, of Sifu Chan teaching Bok Mei, Lama, Choy Lay Fut, Mok Ga, Hung Fut and Hung Kuyhn. I've got him teaching at least 13 two person - four person sets along with Heih Gung and tons of applications. I've got about 1/2 of everything digitized so that we will never lose it.
Did CTS teach lion or dragon dancing?

Lama Pai Sifu
02-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Did CTS teach lion or dragon dancing?

I have his best friend teaching us...our Si-Sook. He is teaching us a CLF lion. I have about 30 minutes of it, a little bit of a routine and the lion playing with an orange. It's pretty cool, I'm not sure if I will post it though. Our Si-Sook has since passed away and was about 64 years old at the time of filming 1991, if I remember. He was pretty tough. Im not sure how old he was when he died, but I will assume mid 80's.

monji112000
02-10-2008, 05:28 PM
I have his best friend teaching us...our Si-Sook. He is teaching us a CLF lion. I have about 30 minutes of it, a little bit of a routine and the lion playing with an orange. It's pretty cool, I'm not sure if I will post it though. Our Si-Sook has since passed away and was about 64 years old if I remember. He was pretty tough.
thats cool. I used to love watching and playing the lion.

diego
02-10-2008, 06:56 PM

Mike, have you thought about putting a CTS dvd together?. I'd spend $50 bucks on a two hour disk of old school Gung Fu:)

Lama Pai Sifu
02-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Something to think about....

secretgecko
02-27-2008, 03:33 PM

Wow! I remember seeing CTS demo back in the day - late 80's.

Do you have any of the hung fut stuff he taught you guys digitized and posted on youtube or anywhere else? that would be way cool to see!

TongLongJai
02-29-2008, 03:39 AM
lkfmdc:

hi.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/longislandonline/scan0003133322222.jpg

who are the people in dis picture please?
do u have a link to the original pic please?

thanks

TLJ

Shaolin Wookie
07-24-2009, 06:33 AM
Rather than create a new thread to post this question, I figured I'd tag it on the nearest convenient one from a forum search:

How do you deal with blisters and rope burn on your hands when you first start rope dart? Is it a good idea to wear a glove, or do your hands just callous over after awhile?

David Jamieson
07-24-2009, 07:09 AM
lkfmdc:

hi.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/longislandonline/scan0003133322222.jpg

who are the people in dis picture please?
do u have a link to the original pic please?

thanks

TLJ

lol. omg!!! too funny.

The guy on the far left is ross, photoshopped into a shot of some apparent asian street wafes in need of a meal and orthotics.

:D

Scott R. Brown
07-24-2009, 07:47 AM
lol. omg!!! too funny.

The guy on the far left is ross, photoshopped into a shot of some apparent asian street wafes in need of a meal and orthotics.

:D

Yeah, but Dave is doing Kung Fu Disco!

Lokhopkuen
07-24-2009, 08:08 AM
The mellon piercing and walnut crunching vids are great:D

David Jamieson
07-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Yeah, but Dave is doing Kung Fu Disco!

actually it looks more like the follow through on a flaming poo bag toss towards hw's house. :D

MasterKiller
07-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Rather than create a new thread to post this question, I figured I'd tag it on the nearest convenient one from a forum search:

How do you deal with blisters and rope burn on your hands when you first start rope dart? Is it a good idea to wear a glove, or do your hands just callous over after awhile?

The first thing to do is apply a sh1t load of talcum powder to the rope. Work it into the material. I do this everytime I use it to keep the rope soft.

Then, make sure you talc your hands when you work the form.

When you first start you'll get a blister, more than likley, but it will calouse up after a while.