PDA

View Full Version : got a question for you JOSEPH

hskwarrior
02-09-2008, 10:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJ4eWa4KbA

in this video above as you see the Kwan Do blades, something crossed my mind.

is there any reason to why there are different sizes however the same shape in the kwan do? in other words, one bladed is pretty huge, the other is just so so.

thought you may be the best one to answer this.

CLFNole
02-09-2008, 11:12 AM
They are not all kwan do's persay, a long blade can be a dai do (big knife) or Choy Yeung Dai Do (General Yeung's Big Blade) or Gau Wan Dai Do (9 Ring Big Blade). For CLF I think the traditional Kwan Do as in General Kwan is related to Chuen Chau Dai Do or Spring Autumn Dai Do, which I believe relates to the Spring Autumn period of chinese history.

extrajoseph
02-09-2008, 12:22 PM
CLFNole is right, a Dai Do (Do fixed to the end of a long staff) has different shapes, sizes and names. CLF has 4 varieties and CLFNole mentioned 3 already (Kwan Do, Choy Yeung Do, Gau Wan Do), the other is called Lan Men Zai Do, or Do from the Lan Men Stockade (a place famous for millitary defence) and it has a saw edge on the opposite side of the blade. The Chek Sing Tiao is sometimes classified as a Dai Do as well, because a Tiao is a kind of farming implement similar to a Do, in this case, the Seven Stars (Chek Sing) refers to the seven holes drilled into the blade to facilitate speed and makes an awful sound when you swing the weapon.

CLFNole
02-09-2008, 12:40 PM
XJ:

We have a set called (excuse the spelling) Lan Mun Dai Jie Do, which I believe translates something like "guarding the door big knife" is that the other dai do you are referring to? We typically do it with something other than General Kwan's either with regular dai do or 9-ring, I didn't realize that do had a specific shape I just thought it was the name of a set.

Thanks for the insight.

hskwarrior
02-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Sorry folks,

i was talking primarily about the two kwan do's that were standing side by side. both had the same shape in the blade, just one blade was huge, while the other was just a little smaller. same shape though.

does that make any difference?

extrajoseph
02-09-2008, 01:15 PM
XJ:

We have a set called (excuse the spelling) Lan Mun Dai Jie Do, which I believe translates something like "guarding the door big knife" is that the other dai do you are referring to? We typically do it with something other than General Kwan's either with regular dai do or 9-ring, I didn't realize that do had a specific shape I just thought it was the name of a set.

Thanks for the insight.

Most like to be the same weapon, I would think.

CLFNole
02-09-2008, 01:17 PM
My translation could be wrong I just wasn't aware that it was actually a type of dai do.

iron_silk
02-09-2008, 02:58 PM
It might be a "Pu Dao" (mandarin) "Pok Do" (cantonese) with nine rings.

The Pu Dao blade shape tends to differ to Kwan/Da Dao.

Ben Gash
02-10-2008, 02:43 AM
Maybe they're for different sized people? They don't really seem that wildly different.

hskwarrior
02-10-2008, 08:12 AM
ben,

that was what i was thinking. Sifu always has one made to fit his height. We got more than one in our school, but their was always a shorter one.