PDA

View Full Version : competition?

brainwars
02-09-2008, 04:34 PM
If you cannot answer the question why bother posting !

IronWeasel
02-09-2008, 05:02 PM
It is a well known fact that most ,if not all martial arts are a form of self defence and should not be used in anger

That is EXACTLY when I want to use mine!! :mad:

Mr Punch
02-09-2008, 05:07 PM
What an original question.

I wonder why nobody has been discussing it for say, the last 400 years.

brainwars
02-09-2008, 05:09 PM
That is EXACTLY when I want to use mine!! :mad:

Maybe you are not learning self defence then!!!:mad:

brainwars
02-09-2008, 05:14 PM
What an original question.

I wonder why nobody has been discussing it for say, the last 400 years.

Well if i knew i wouldn't have asked. that would defeat the object of asking a question.

unkokusai
02-09-2008, 05:55 PM
........................................... :rolleyes:

banditshaw
02-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Well if i knew i wouldn't have asked. that would defeat the object of asking a question.

Why ask a question in which you could ever not fathom its meaning? Never mind the answer.....just learn the question.

And ummm put the bong down.

:cool:

Lucas
02-09-2008, 06:16 PM
whats this all about?

I was reading some posts, then I left and went to the department store to buy some new work duds. Couple hours.

This post wasnt here when I left, it is now. Precious little time to get a good flow of traffic through your thread.

The majority of the people registered on this board didnt even get to read your question.

Patience is also known to be a quality imployed by many martial artists.

Mr Punch
02-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Wise words Brother Lucas! Patience and a sense of humour help when dealing with the vagaries of violence.

His question was: what place does competition have in the martial arts?

He has obviously just bought a computer and joined a forum for the first time, so perhaps we should go easy on him. Maybe he didn't realize Brother Weasel was joking, and I am serious. Deadly serious.

Let us analyze the remaining part of his original post for further enlightenment on the depths of his thinking and the depths to which he wants us to think:

It is a well known fact that most ,if not all martial arts are a form of self defence and should not be used in anger1) Your supposition that most martial arts are a form of self defence is nonsense. I could say erroneous but I find the word nonsense to be more amusing. Welcome to the board! :D

Many martial arts were developed and used over the centuries for well, kicking the crap out of people, not for noble ends, not for harmony, but for Darwinist imperatives. Many more were designed for use on the battlefield, where again, their purpose was to destroy the enemy.

On top of this, what may have passed as self defence 300 years ago is probably useless as such now, especially given the FACT that most 'traditional' MA schools' training adheres more or less to completely unprogressive and unrealistic training methods.

Therefore what you have postulated is not a fact.

2) Furthermore, given that most people know jack about martial arts and their specific origins I would have said that it is not even a well-known or oft-thought of supposition.

3) The second part of your sentence may work. If you are using the 'and' as a causal: i.e. forms of self defence should not be used in anger, you may have a point, although somewhat unrelated to the question of competition.

If you are suggesting that it is a well known fact that MA shouldn't be used in anger, again this is not a fact. It is an often stated opinion that in a civilised society the norm is that violence and thus certain angry states are not acceptable, therefore IF you agree with the assumption that most people do MA as some kind of self defence (thus ignoring a large proportion of the population of MAers who do it solely specifically FOR competition or a plethora of other reasons) you could argue that according to this viewpoint to use it in anger would be wrong. However, if you have studied modern self defence thinking this doens't necessarily follow either, since many people who have styled themselves self-defence professionals such as Geoff Thompson and Mark MacYoung would say that concentrated bursts of anger are just what you need to get yourself out of a tight spot.

Is that enough for you Sister Brainwars? Or would you like me to sum up the history of using MA in competition since Miyamoto Musashi refused to even set up a school because it would weaken his sword skill to codify it in the slightest, let alone countenance the contemporary invention of shinai to enable some degree of non-lethal kenjutsu-based practice, or back further to the dawn of just about every primitive society's development of combat-based competitions?

Don't think I'm busting your balls unnecessarily about this: unwad your panties, repost the question with some semblance of sense, and do a search. These conversations have been had many times and some of them are quite interesting.

Is that it? Can I go now?

SPJ
02-09-2008, 08:59 PM
competition is part of life.

the grass or trees would move toward sunny areas.

the roots would move toward where water and minerals are.

--

if you are interested in competition with others in terms of MA,

there are san da, san shou, kuo shu etc.

there are also wushu forms performance comp.

--

why we do it? may be not just to be better than others.

but also we may better/improve ourself.

--

why we race in horse and car?

why we compete in city game, national game, world game and olympics game?

why we do MA?

why not we compete also in MA?

if we compete in everything else?

--

to compete or not to compete?

to better/improve ourself or not to better/improve?

to --

:eek::confused:;):)

David Jamieson
02-10-2008, 08:02 AM
...survival?

Seppukku
02-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Brain****s, your mind is clouded by anger.

WinterPalm
02-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Anger is a tool, and like most tools if you use it properly you will benefit.

My Judo coach and I think Coach Ross on a DVD (correct me if I'm wrong!) put it the same way: you compete to make yourself a better martial artist.
That's not to say it's the only reason.
Some want trophies.
Some want money and make lucrative careers out of competition.
Some just love to compete.
Even if you aren't competing, it really, really helps to have skilled training partners that you can "compete" with in sparring ,etc.

brainwars
02-10-2008, 04:29 PM
cheers for the replys people, maybe i was a little hasty!!! Also i agree that competition is a part of life and i see nothing wrong with it and even enjoy it(as long as i win:D) but i needed some fodder to argue my point with the peeps at work. Maybe i will read up a little more before posting again.;)

monji112000
02-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Anger is a tool, and like most tools if you use it properly you will benefit.

My Judo coach and I think Coach Ross on a DVD (correct me if I'm wrong!) put it the same way: you compete to make yourself a better martial artist.
That's not to say it's the only reason.
Some want trophies.
Some want money and make lucrative careers out of competition.
Some just love to compete.
Even if you aren't competing, it really, really helps to have skilled training partners that you can "compete" with in sparring ,etc.

I 100% agree.

monji112000
02-10-2008, 05:40 PM
cheers for the replys people, maybe i was a little hasty!!! Also i agree that competition is a part of life and i see nothing wrong with it and even enjoy it(as long as i win:D) but i needed some fodder to argue my point with the peeps at work. Maybe i will read up a little more before posting again.;)

you can use anger, and not be belligerent.