PDA

View Full Version : OT: i should have stayed in bed

BruceSteveRoy
02-11-2008, 10:54 AM
i think this is good for a laugh. i had an awful saturday.

I woke up saturday and went to my 8am group bike. We were doin a brick today which is where you bike and then run with no break in between. i was told it is called a brick because when you start running your feet feel like very heavy bricks. i think it should have referenced something much heavier than a brick. it is so hard to do.

anyway, i get there and i am going good. its freezing and my fingers and toes are so cold that they are starting to feel warm. and my legs are burning with the joy that is lactic acid. the bike was 75 minutes. it was an experience. so i am about 5 miles away from being finished. five very long, hilly and grueling miles. when i get to a stop sign.... wait let me back up a sec. i use speedplay clipless pedals. they are great. but clipless pedals are the kind where your shoe is attached to the pedal and you have to turn your foot to disengage your foot from the bike... ok so back to the stop sign. i pull up and disengage my right foot and then, as if in super slow motion i begin to fall to my left. i am powerless to stop it and not quick enough to disengage my foot. so down i go. but hey, on the upside it was at a busy intersection with a ton of cars watching and with lots of other people jogging and biking on hand to laugh and point. so i stand up and lo and behold the cleat that is supposed to be attached to the bottom of my shoe is still attached to the bike. thats bad. its only $50 bad but its still bad. you can't walk five miles in bike shoes, its too cold to walk barefoot and it is extremely difficult to pedal the bike if you can lock the shoe in place. but given the options the most reasonable is to pedal back. so i pedalled back 5 miles using one leg. my injured leg. the one that i have patellofemoral pain syndrome in. the one where my knee tracks laterally. then i got back and ran. it was maybe a mile run so it would have been easy had it not been for the circumstances of the bike ride. remember when we were kids and riding bikes was a fun thing to do?

so we are finished and the 2nd act of the tragedy that was my day begins.

it requires you to come with me to two days ago. montgomery county has the worst roads in north america. i think the DOT is pants on head retarded. i was going down a very highly trafficked road at about 55 mph. and BAM i hit a pot hole. i am convinced that my tire is ruined. so i get to a place that i can pull over and check it out. and it looks like its low on air so i figure it will get me home. i expected yesterday that i would be waking up to a completely flat tire but it was ok. i took it to the gas station and put some air in it and thats when i saw a lump in the tire wall. i figured i'd wait and see if it could hold out until saturday to be replaced and luckily it did. i drove to the group practice on it and didnt have a blow out (miraculously). so back to present day. i finish the brick pack my stuff up and go to my car and the lump on my tire looks like its ready to blow. i was fortunate that there was a tire store across the street from where we were. so i drive it in and they look at it and ask if i want the same kind of tire put on my car. i said yes please. so they quote me a price of $240 per tire!!!! and of course you have to replace two or the car will pull to one side and get uneven wear. so i picked my jaw off the counter and told him thats bull**** and i need somthing cheaper. the cheapest they could give me was $140 per tire + tax + alignment and that would = about $350!! alot less than the high performance tires were but still. ridiculous. the really bad news was that the wheel needs to be replaced too which will run around $500 and thats a modest estimate. all because montgomery county can't fill a stupid pothole. so that part sucked.

on to act 3 or as i like to call it "the tale of the gas station hot dog"

so i give them the car and they tell me its going to be about 45 minutes. i am starving bc i just did all that exercise and need to eat. so i ask if ther is anywhere within walking distance to get some food. the only place was a convenience store at the gas station across the street. so i shudder at the thought of what i might find there. i go in and there is nothing. except... a hotdog turny machine thingy. so i get a hot dog. about 20 minutes later i realize what a dreadfully bad decision this was when my stomach begins to speak to me in a gurgling and unintelligble language. yet i somehow still understood what it meant. if any of you know me you know that i am very phobic of public bathrooms. this hotdog had plans though. it wanted out. they were going to have my car for about another half hour and then i had a 45 minute ride home. it was a gamble. but i made it home before that devilish dog had its way with me. barely.

that was my bad day. so far it has cost me around $400 in repairs and gave me two very sore legs, one which is all cut up and sore from falling and the other from biking on one leg. moral of the story don't eat gas station hot dogs when you are far from home.... strike that... don't eat them at all.

i am afraid to go out of my apartment though. seems fate has it in for me today. i might get hit by lightening, or a plane might fall out of the sky and crash into my car.

but one funny thing came out of this experience. i met a racist dog today. ****dest thing. this big guy walks into the tire place carrying a little dog, maybe it was a maltese. my first thought was "what the heck is wrong with people anymore?" who brings a dog into a store with them unless they are handicapped? so that was weird but then i noticed sometimes the dog would bark when people came into the store. it was annoying at first but i started to notice a pattern. it didn't bark at any white people, but it barked at every minority that came in. i thought it was my imagination when it barked at this one white kid but sure enough two seconds later his latino friend walked in behind him. it was freaky. figures the dog was as white as the driven snow. i will forever refer to this dog as 'hitler dog' and he was a mean little *******. so that was funny.

MasterKiller
02-11-2008, 11:00 AM
it didn't bark at any white people, but it barked at every minority that came in. This is actually not unusual.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-11-2008, 11:33 AM
This is actually not unusual.

yeah we aint nothin but animals that walk upright as far as dogs are concerned. if they are more familiar and trusting of one breed over another, they don't have any problem lettin you know.

brothernumber9
02-11-2008, 12:20 PM
It must be something going around this weekend.

Friday, I went straight from work to the kung fu school for a lion dance demo. When we got to the location, we realized we forgot the cymbals, gong, and drumsticks. We had only a lion, a drum, and two metal pieces of pipe for a small hydraulic jack I had in my SUV.

So I call my Sifu to tell him the bad news. We have to just McGuyver it.

Then, just before the lion dance, I get a call from my wife, who tells me someone broke into our house earlier that day when no one was home, stole my Xbox 360 and gear, 2 laptops, and a couple Gucci watches. (although it could have been way worse it still sucks, it makes you feel really vulnerable). I just switched my homeowners insurance last week, so I can't make a claim for the first 30 days, plus the deductable is around $500.00 anyway.

And on a much smaller note, we started Chinese new year with 5 guys that could do all the lifiting tricks in the lion head, particularly standing on the shoulders, shoulders on the saw horses, etc. As of yesterday, because of injuries, groundings, and mishaps, we were down to 2.

But that's life, and I still know a Sh!# load of people are way way way etc, worse than I am,

like BruceSteveRoy.

Gung Hay Faat Choy.

SanHeChuan
02-11-2008, 12:22 PM
When I was a pizza delivery driver I went to this how that had a big pit bull in the yard, and it’s barking at me. I’ve never had reason to be afraid of any dog, so I open the gate and walk up to the door the dog in tow. A guy opens the door, and looks at me funny, and said, “I can’t believe he didn’t bite you.” I’m thinking geeze thanks for the warning. Then this other guys says, “Naw, he likes white people.”

Personally I think it had more to do with the pizza, and not being afraid of the thing.

BruceSteveRoy
02-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Then, just before the lion dance, I get a call from my wife, who tells me someone broke into our house earlier that day when no one was home, stole my Xbox 360 and gear, 2 laptops, and a couple Gucci watches. (although it could have been way worse it still sucks, it makes you feel really vulnerable). I just switched my homeowners insurance last week, so I can't make a claim for the first 30 days, plus the deductable is around $500.00 anyway.

Gung Hay Faat Choy.

dude, i am sorry to hear you got burgaled. it happened to me about a year and a half ago. the guy made off with like $11k worth of stuff. i had one of those little sentry fire proof saves and he stole that and it had my and my wife's passports, birth certificates, social security cards, etc. pretty much everything a person would need to steal our identities. but the insurance covered some of it. however, nothing can fix the feeling of being violated. i read that somone in our new apartment complex found a burglar on their balcony and it was like getting punched in the stomach. i was like on edge for like a week whenever i left my apartment. but i hope they catch the guy. did the cops get any finger prints or anything?

brothernumber9
02-11-2008, 01:31 PM
No,

I told my wife on the phone to call the police to file a report. But she doesn't like to bring anyone into our house if I'm not there, even if it is the police, so she didn't file a report. I was so tired when I got home, I just went to home depot, bought some bolt locks and material to secure the door, and door windows, screwed them on, and called it a day. I'm pretty much just accepting the loss, and being thankful that they only took some of my things, and not my wife's, especially some rather expensive jewelry that was thankfully overlooked. And other than the door, they didn't vandalize anything. I'm fairly certain, by the size of the hole in the glass, that it was some teenage skinny kids, and they only took what they could carry in their hands quickly.

The only real problem now, is that whoever broke in, knows that I have a lot more stuff, and although I've taken precautions to deter any future attempts, as well as going to take some more in the next few days, there are still ways, although really overt, like smashing entire windows, that someone could still get in, and it just sits in the back of my mind. Even right now.

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Unless you have some crazy oddball wheel, you can get a reconditioned wheel from Transwheel in Chicago for $179.00 ($125.00, plus mark up) 1800 892 3733

Chicago tire deals Transwheel wheels too. (888) 603 0110

I used them all the time when i ran a bodyshop, with never a problem.

You can also get recons from keystone (800)622 0096 just ask for the location closest to you. They may cost a bit more, and often buy them fromTranswheel and resell anyway.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-11-2008, 02:53 PM
i had a ****ty day this weekend too. my buddy was moving in with his old lady and asked if we wanted his washer and dryer. our washer had just broke, and his were a lot nicer than ours anyway, so that in and of itself was awesome.

it was really really ****ing cold (sub 0 with wind chill) and i was a little bit hung over when moving them, but **** happens and it was my own fault for drinking so much the night before. we ran into a few problems getting things moved around and with the dryer plug, but **** happens and i was just happy to have a new washer and dryer. we finally get everything moved in, hooked up, and leveled, and im starving so i go into the basement to turn the water back on so i can wash my hands and get something to eat. unfortunately one of the minor problems i forgot was that one of the hoses was missing a washer and wasnt hooked up. within 30 seconds i flooded the laundry room and had to move everything back out and start sopping up water and get a fan going as the laundry room is carpeted. once that was taken care of i noticed a little bit of cat litter on the kitchen floor as the cat box was moved out of the laundry room. the vacuum was already plugged in and ready to go as i used it after getting the old washer and dryer out. i have no idea how, the vacuum hose wasn't anywhere near the water, but apparently it took some and i think i ****ing ruined my canister vac. i really like that vacuum cleaner too .. unfortunately i think the warrantee just went out this month as well.

while my workout didn’t go all that great either, i do have to admit that i had a good time with my daughter, niece, and nephew at the gym after lifting.

Mr Punch
02-11-2008, 05:04 PM
so i pedalled back 5 miles using one leg. my injured leg. the one that i have patellofemoral pain syndrome in. the one where my knee tracks laterally. then i got back and ran. Makes me wonder why you're doing taht particular exercise activity with this prior problem...!? It IS a prior problem right?
...pants on head retarded.LOL, that's really good! :D

BruceSteveRoy
02-11-2008, 05:23 PM
my dr. cleared me to continue training for my triathlon but i don't think it was anticipated that i would be one legged biking. my knee bothers me but physical therapy has been helping it so i am not really concerned.

Mr Punch
02-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Fair enough, they're your legs!