PDA

View Full Version : Mental preparation pre and during sparring

MASTERforge
02-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Hi,

Before sparring I have been settling my mind and sinking it to the Dan Tian. I train in taiji and Jujitsu. My sparring is in jujitsu.

I have been sinking the qi to the dan tian pre fight and during with some success. I get on the mat without fear and any thought on technique or application. Just relaxation.

In sparring if get stressed or scared I sink my mind back down.

I have found that it makes me less tense when sparring as I am not afraid of getting hurt. I am reacting quicker as I am not thinking about anything.

I would like to know what other peoples thoughts are on this technique and their methods and results.

Three Harmonies
02-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Whatever works for you, but it has nothing to do with qi, dan tian or any other mystical magical juju.
Jake :cool:

imperialtaichi
02-13-2008, 09:05 PM
In my opinion, sinking the mind to the Dantien is great during training to prevent the mind from wandering and be more aware of one's balance and centre of gravity. However during fighting/sparring this stops the mind from achieving total freedom hence the execution of appropriate techniques becomes hindered.

I like to just free myself, stay as relaxed (both mentally and physically) as possible and don't think about anything. Some of my friends reckons it looks like I take the Boxing posture, especially I like to dodge and weave into range.

Cheers,
John

MASTERforge
03-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Yes.

I understand that during a fight you are meant to lead chi to your limbs? So this would be counter intuitive to sinking Chi. But the relaxation helps.

Maybe better not to sink the chi but relax into a calm and alert state.

monkey mind
03-07-2008, 07:45 PM
I try to keep smiling when I'm sparring. It helps me stay loose.

taijiman7777
03-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Sinking the qi to the dantien is something that is easily understood by those who experience it, and ridiculed by those who don't. It is a subjective interpretation of an otherwise complex set of phenomena. (When I drive I use a flat map because it does me little good to have an accurate model of the universe in my glove compartment.)

I sink the qi to dantien, sink the chest, relax the waist, suspend the head from above, distinguish between full and empty etc. I will emphasize one thing at a time, usually the dantian, because it is the easiest way for me to regulate the mind an body. After a while, all the essential points become one thing. When I get a sense of that, then I am ready to spar. If I can't unify all the essential points, then I need to do a lot more solo practice before I can apply the principles to sparring or, heaven forbid, actual combat.