PDA

View Full Version : retreaded- thread, What have we learned recently from KFM's Forum

MightyB
02-13-2008, 09:41 AM
reprinted from a locked 2003 thread that I posted that should be revisited:

"In an effort to keep things fresh so that we don't keep making the same arguments all the time, I think that it's imperitive that we periodically post some thoughts on what we've learned on KFO. Maybe by doing so, we can show that, yes, we can pick a few roses from the manure that is KFO. Also, it may change KFO into a more respectable place where sharing rather than arguing happens.

Now I know that we all don't read the same threads and we definitely don't agree with one another on what comes out of those threads, but everybody's opinion is valued.

This is a brief synopsis of the threads that I've read and what I see coming out of them:

I see that KFO can be divided into two main groups: The Traditionals, and the Skills Based. The main difference between the groups is the training methods that they use, but both agree that it's the training methods that make the most difference in your fighting ability.

Forms are a big issue here. In my opinion, it's a misconception about what forms are about that causes the most problems. I see forms as a training aid in helping to develop attributes that are applicable to fighting. The problem comes from a misconception from both sides-- the Skills Based and the Traditionals-- about the role that forms play. Some feel that forms are a substitute for combat. IMHO They can only be a supplement. And, if they are used as a supplement, they are of tremendous value because of the coordination that one has to develop in order to perfectly execute a form.

I am starting to see an acceptance of groundfighting here, which is great. I don't think that we have to have all the moves of the Gracies, but we should know the key fundamental positions and escapes so that we can stay on our feet. This again is a point of debate between Skills Based and Traditionals. A traditional thinks that they have the knowledge to deal with such an attack through employing a series of "dirty tricks". But, I say that you lose something if you have to resort to eye gouging, biting, scratching, and pulling hair to "defend" yourself from an attack. I feel that if these are acceptable to you then you can't be much of a martial artist because what skill sets are you showing in your art if you use these "dirty tricks"? Aren't those the responses of the untrained and incapable? Again, this is my opinion, yours could be different and it's equally valid.

And finally, politics. We will never agree, and, even if we did, does it matter? I liken these debates to arguing about politics with my grandparents. Even if one of us changes our views, we really aren't in a position to affect anything anyway, so why bother? You have your viewpoints, I have mine. I think though that we should lay off the French a little. Now we all know that the Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys are a step below the Canadians and Louisianins, but I like Crimson Pheonix and feel that it would be a shame to alienate him from the boards. His viewpoints on the viable full contact art of Savate are appreciated and it would be a shame to lose them.

I also learned that Yo momma so dumb, she got fired from a blow job. Thanks Water Dragon for that update.

So, what have you learned from the threads that you read?"

So what's new?

sanjuro_ronin
02-13-2008, 09:45 AM
New?
How dare you ask !

MightyB
02-13-2008, 09:49 AM
New?
How dare you ask !

Glad to see that you've made a positive contribution to the "growth" of martial artists...

---

On a related note:

Today I'm in a good mood- I spent my morning shooting a commercial starring a bunch of bikini wearing hotties for a local tanning salon- some days I really do love my job...

sanjuro_ronin
02-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Glad to see that you've made a positive contribution to the "growth" of martial artists...

---

On a related note:

Today I'm in a good mood- I spent my morning shooting a commercial starring a bunch of bikini wearing hotties for a local tanning salon- some days I really do love my job...

You Sir, are a man of wealth and taste, I salute you !
:p

sanjuro_ronin
02-13-2008, 09:54 AM
As for your post:

I agree in regards to politics, something best left for politicians.

In regards to your definition of a "traditionalist":
To me, a traditionalist" is someone that upholds the tradition that a MA was founded on, usually fighting.
As long as the system is being kept practical and effective, one is being a traditionalist.

MightyB
02-13-2008, 10:36 AM
here's a link to the original thread :http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?referrerid=14902&t=19720

What's funny is that we were having pretty much the same arguments in 2003.

sanjuro_ronin
02-13-2008, 10:40 AM
here's a link to the original thread :http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?referrerid=14902&t=19720

What's funny is that we were having pretty much the same arguments in 2003.

Those that do not learn form history are bound to repeat it.

David Jamieson
02-13-2008, 04:30 PM
traditionalist and skills based? who made up those categories? lol "skills based" gimme a break, There's plenty of so called traditional martial arts that are skills based.

MightyB
02-14-2008, 05:50 AM
The idea is to post a general summary of where the KFM board is - what's the general consensus or theme/trend that's seen here.

2008 in comparison to 2003- if you read through the old thread- there's not a lot of new debate. What's new- Kettle Bells, ILKFMD's solidified his posting thoughts/approach into a viable business and school, but Sanjuru's still Canadian. What's funny is that the same troll thread hijackers of yesteryear are still pulling the same $hit as they did then. And- threads about women in MA are still the longest.

Anyway- this is as good a place as any to post your thoughts about where KFM is going.

The B

sanjuro_ronin
02-14-2008, 05:55 AM
The idea is to post a general summary of where the KFM board is - what's the general consensus or theme/trend that's seen here.

2008 in comparison to 2003- if you read through the old thread- there's not a lot of new debate. What's new- Kettle Bells, ILKFMD's solidified his posting thoughts/approach into a viable business and school, but Sanjuru's still Canadian. What's funny is that the same troll thread hijackers of yesteryear are still pulling the same $hit as they did then. And- threads about women in MA are still the longest.

Anyway- this is as good a place as any to post your thoughts about where KFM is going.

The B

To me, **** canadian that I am, what is right about this place is when dogma is challenged and debated.
All MA need to have their views challenged.
I don't like the whole "if you don't lile it leave" argument because it basically implys that one has no answers or counters to a specific argument and as such they resort to the "love it or leave it" fallback.

Silly.

Also, WC guys are nit picking *******s !
:D

Lucas
02-14-2008, 01:02 PM
I know that i learned, on practically any thread with more than 5 posts, that Rudy and 1bad65 love riding each others nuts more than life itself.

Golden Spider
02-15-2008, 10:24 AM
I have learned that the few forums I have visited in the last few years are predominantly run by trolls with little or no actual training, other than their fantasies.

There is basically NO moderation, or group cohesion, so high school spitting galleries ensue.

Contributions from any practitioner, regardless of skill, lineage, etc, etc, are mocked for amusement and further demonstrate how wretched the fan base for the martial arts community in America actually is. The chi jokes....

Just because it's Chinese, doesn't mean it's good.

The ring, and the street, are very different places.

We all really need to get together and beat each other to death...

To be continued! *Cheers!*

SPJ
02-15-2008, 01:38 PM
CMA forums really grow in China for the last few years.

Just about every school known or not known has a web site along with forums for students to discuss.

this forum is tied to Kung fu tai chi magazine.

I subscribed to the mag and signed on to post since feb, 2004.

I usually post info with citing sources with links to websites or video's.

I know there are more people reading than actually posting.

this is the same for forums in China.

people usually check for info and links.

that is what internet is for.

everything we post may be searchable.

so I always try to cite sources with links, so people may dig up more info.

as far as discussion goes, there are many good responses and debates, but no matter what, the thread will eventually be degraded into something not related like an abbysis.

--

:D;):)

SPJ
02-15-2008, 01:40 PM
I think it was feb 29th, 2004.

like the extra day every 4 years.

:eek::cool::rolleyes::D