PDA

View Full Version : chinese for dummeeez

**Little*Dragon**
09-02-2001, 07:42 AM
Ok probably a dumb question.

Is Qi Gong pronounced "key-gong" or is it "chee-kung" .....or neither??

Little Dragon

Fish of Fury
09-02-2001, 07:43 AM
chee gung
(sort of) :) chee kung works too

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

Kung Lek
09-02-2001, 02:12 PM
Hi- Chee Gung, or Chi Gong, I've heard them both.

Qi=Chi, pronounced Chee.

Ki pronounced "Key", is the Japanese equivalent of the same thing.

peace

Kung Lek

Stranger
09-02-2001, 04:21 PM
Is there any easy trick for telling a male Chinese name from a female Chinese name just by reading it? How many people here understand Chinese?

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

unclaimed effort
09-02-2001, 06:57 PM
I think some names can be used for both. But there are names that are really feminine and some that are really masculine.

-------------------------
What is a tree without it's roots? What is a martial art without its basics?

unclaimed effort
09-02-2001, 06:58 PM
The trick is to locate that person and see for yourself. hehe

-------------------------
What is a tree without it's roots? What is a martial art without its basics?

prana
09-03-2001, 12:02 AM
Ki Gang = (Southern Shaolin) Hokkien pronounciation of
Chi (Qi) Kung.... (Mandarine)
Hei-Gung (Cantonese)

Medicine Buddha
om namo bhagawate bekandzyai - guru bendurya prabha randzaya - tatagataya - arhate - samyaksam buddhaya - tayata om bhekandzyai bhekandzyai - maha bhekandzyai bhekandzyai -randza samungate soha

joedoe
09-03-2001, 02:57 AM
Chinese names are often gender neutral. For example, a (reasonably) common name is Ming which means brightness (among other meanings). It is used as both a male and female name.

Often women may be named after something beautiful (like flowers etc.), while men are named after things that bring connotations of strength (like stone, or mountain etc.)

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

fiercest tiger
09-03-2001, 08:19 AM
what about gay men, what are they named after??

im getting in touch with my feminine side! ;)

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

joedoe
09-03-2001, 09:58 AM
Thinking of changing your name are you? :D

Didn't you know that the official Chinese party line is that ****sexuality is not a problem in China - it is a western problem (that is, there are no ****sexuals in China). Interesting huh?

Good way to get around the naming problem anyway :D

origenx
09-03-2001, 04:23 PM
ABandit - Again, the anti-China propaganda rears its ugly head yet again...

Actually, China has never denied the existence of gays in China, and has recently even adopted a rather liberal policy towards them: "****sexuality will stop being regarded as a psychiatric disorder in China next month, on the publication of new guidelines by the Chinese Psychiatric Association.
They will say that ****sexuality is part of "normal" sexual behaviour, with the proviso that those who are unhappy with their sexual orientation may still be judged to be in need of psychiatric help. "
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,447556,00.html

H*ll, they probably see it as another method of population control...

joedoe
09-10-2001, 04:53 AM
If you knew me you would actually find that I am far from being anti-Chinese. In fact I have often been accused on KFO of being too pro-Chinese.

However, my information on China's stance on ****sexuality came from the horse's mouth so to speak. I was over there in April last year and that is what I was told by our guide. I can only relay what I am told. :)

origenx
09-11-2001, 08:37 PM
ABandit - true, like anywhere, there may very well be a gap between the official gov policy and man-on-the-street reality.

Like, according to our gov policy here, no one in the US is allowed to discriminate by race, color, creed, etc., but depending on who you ask, they'll give you their own real-life perspectives on racism, reverse-racism, etc. etc. You just have to find the gray truth by triangulation, I guess...