PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Wing Chun Dummy

KPM
02-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Hey Guys!

I just received my Warrior Mook Jong a couple of days ago. I still have to put some sand in the base before I can put it to serious use. I'm impressed with it so far! I'm working on putting up a website and will post a review with pics when I get that done. Soon!

Here is a link to what I'm talking about:

http://www.thewarrior.com

sanjuro_ronin
02-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Hey Guys!

I just received my Warrior Mook Jong a couple of days ago. I still have to put some sand in the base before I can put it to serious use. I'm impressed with it so far! I'm working on putting up a website and will post a review with pics when I get that done. Soon!

Beat the living crap out of it and hit it as hard as you can and please let us know the results.

donbdc
02-15-2008, 07:26 AM
Keith,
For some reason I can't go to the site. Tell me some details about it, what kind of stand, is it wood or composite and How $.
Thanks
Don

WCFighter
02-15-2008, 08:19 AM
I have two of these dummies. One for my kwoon, and one in
my home. I put water in it instead of sand, so that it is easier to empty
if/when I need to move them to different locations; when filled the base is very heavy. The wheels are great for moving the base around an existing location.

My opinion, they are very good. The two arms at the top are a little closer together than wooden dummies I've seen, but it is still very good.

The rubber caps on the small wooden pegs that go through each arm behind the dummy sometimes fall off; and so I tape the rubber caps to their wooden pegs securely.

One great thing about these dummies is that you can hit the trunk with your
fists, palms, elbows, knees, and feet without worrying about hurting yourself.
On a wooden dummy, you would have to wrap those leather pads to the areas you want to strike. (I do still love the traditional wooden dummies :) )

Have fun !

sanjuro_ronin
02-15-2008, 08:21 AM
I have two of these dummies. One for my kwoon, and one in
my home. I put water in it instead of sand, so that it is easier to empty
if/when I need to move them to different locations; when filled the base is very heavy. The wheels are great for moving the base around an existing location.

My opinion, they are very good. The two arms at the top are a little closer together than wooden dummies I've seen, but it is still very good.

The rubber caps on the small wooden pegs that go through each arm behind the dummy sometimes fall off; and so I tape the rubber caps to their wooden pegs securely.

One great thing about these dummies is that you can hit the trunk with your
fists, palms, elbows, knees, and feet without worrying about hurting yourself.
On a wooden dummy, you would have to wrap those leather pads to the areas you want to strike. (I do still love the traditional wooden dummies :) )

Have fun !

You can drill them full force ?

KPM
02-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Keith,
For some reason I can't go to the site. Tell me some details about it, what kind of stand, is it wood or composite and How $.
Thanks
Don

Hey Don!

A full review with pictures is soon to come! I'm going to work on my new website this weekend.

KPM
02-15-2008, 08:32 AM
You can drill them full force ?

Depends on how tough you are! :) The padding is only about 3/4 inch thick. But with a pair of bag gloves or MMA gloves on you can pretty much drill it like you would a heavy bag.

sanjuro_ronin
02-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Depends on how tough you are! :) The padding is only about 3/4 inch thick. But with a pair of bag gloves or MMA gloves on you can pretty much drill it like you would a heavy bag.

And it takes the punishment?

KPM
02-15-2008, 08:53 AM
And it takes the punishment?

I haven't had the chance to really "punish it" yet. :) I plan to get the base filled with sand tonight and start working it. But I don't see why it wouldn't take the punishment. The trunk is PVC covered with foam and marine-grade vinyl fabric. The arms are hardwood. The trunk slides into a socket in the base that is about 8 inches deep, so it makes a good sturdy joint. Even with the base filled with sand, I'd think you would tip it over before you would break it.

Phil Redmond
02-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Hey Guys!

Water is better Sir. IMO
(You make Major yet?)
Phil

monji112000
02-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Hey Guys!

thats allot of money... any added benefits? why not just get a good wooden one?

sanjuro_ronin
02-15-2008, 12:30 PM

If you can drill this one full force, just there is a huge benefit.

KPM
02-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Water is better Sir. IMO
(You make Major yet?)
Phil

Hi Phil!

I was thinking I'd do sand because it is heavier than water and won't leak. I get to pin on Major in May. :)

KPM
02-15-2008, 01:12 PM

---The primary benefit for me was that fact that it is a free-standing design. I don't have a lot of room to set up a mounting frame, and didn't want to mount it outside. The design allows me to push it off into a corner when not in use, and then push out into my workout area when I'm ready to train. I think another benefit is that the entire trunk is padded. That's not why I got it, but it does seem to be a good feature. Like sanjuro said, being able to really apply some force and power to it with reduced risk of injury is a benefit. I've always considered the dummy to be rather like a "sophisticated heavy bag" specifically for Wing Chun. This particular dummy is just a bit closer to the "heavy bag" side than the traditional design.

sanjuro_ronin
02-15-2008, 01:37 PM
My biggest issue with the traditional wooden dummy is that you can't drill it full force and full speed and I don't like doing anything without the resistence that it normally woudl be used at.
Sure to learn the move and such is fine to go at half speed and pulled impact, but to get the real feeling of a sequence of moves it must be done hard and fast like it would be in reality.

Phil Redmond
02-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi Keith, you did get the rollers on the base so that you can move it around right? I like those dummy because you can hit, elbow, and knee them.

monji112000
02-15-2008, 02:18 PM
If you can drill this one full force, just there is a huge benefit. why can't you drill at full force a real dummy? maybe you have a cheap dummy...
I like the real thing, it hurts if you hit hard.. but then put some foam padding on it.
Maybe its just me, but If I'm going to practice full power, its better on a person. That way he is moving, and not static. The best thing about the dummy is kicking (JMO) is that you can use it instead of a tire, and nail it full power. Push kick shin kicks ect.. I never looked at the pain of training with a dummy as a bad thing...

KPM
02-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Hi Keith, you did get the rollers on the base so that you can move it around right? I like those dummy because you can hit, elbow, and knee them.

Yep! They come standard! I also like the fact that, since it is free-standing, you can go past a 90 degree angle on the dummy because there are no cross-supports to get in the way. This opens it up for practice of various Chin Na/standing grappling applications as well as just working on footwork to evade and flank when necessary.

KPM
02-15-2008, 02:20 PM
why can't you drill at full force a real dummy? maybe you have a cheap dummy...

Did you ever try to punch a hardwood dummy full force with an unprotected fist? If you can do that on a regular basis, then you're certianly tougher than I am! :eek:

monji112000
02-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Did you ever try to punch a hardwood dummy full force with an unprotected fist? If you can do that on a regular basis, then you're certianly tougher than I am! :eek:

well thats what a heavy bag is for. Call me a traditionalist but each tool has a purpose. It hurts for a reason, you get tough that way. I remember watching people use foam, and hit it full power. I used to do it back in my jow ga days. Honestly best training tool is a person. Everything else is just imitation.

Phil Redmond
02-15-2008, 02:28 PM
I can do full power knee and elbow strikes on The Warrior. I'd love to see someone do that on a teak dummy.

KPM
02-15-2008, 04:16 PM
well thats what a heavy bag is for. Call me a traditionalist but each tool has a purpose. It hurts for a reason, you get tough that way. I remember watching people use foam, and hit it full power. I used to do it back in my jow ga days. Honestly best training tool is a person. Everything else is just imitation.

Well....yeah! I won't argue that point! :p But anytime you can make a training tool a little more realistic, that's a good thing!

couch
02-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Hmmm...this looks like a good product. There's nothing like hitting something and if you can do that to the dummy, it'd be nice.

Hitting something with a lot of force really puts the structure of your stance and body in check. It's important.

Best,
Kenton Sefcik

KPM
03-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi Guys!

I finally got around to putting up a website and doing the review that I promised. Check out my review with pics of the Warrior Wing Chun Dummy here:

http://www.riograndewingchun.com

sanjuro_ronin
03-24-2008, 04:52 AM
Hi Guys!

I finally got around to putting up a website and doing the review that I promised. Check out my review with pics of the Warrior Wing Chun Dummy here:

So, how hard can you hit it?

KPM
03-24-2008, 05:03 AM
So, how hard can you hit it?

I don't hit it as hard as I would a heavy bag, but certainly a lot harder than I would a traditional dummy! I'd say its somewhere around 1/2 way in between. I was going to post a short video clip showing how hard I hit it. I signed up for a youtube account, but youtube has some kind of glitch and won't let me upload any videos. Anyone know any alternatives to youtube?

Almost A Ghost
03-24-2008, 06:36 AM
^^^ I think photobucket does videos now.

KPM
04-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi Guys!

I've been working on my Warrior Mook Jong for several months now and thought I would give you all an update. I've only found two very minor problems. The pegs that attach the arms in the back are capped off with rubber caps to hold them in place. One of the caps was a little loose and kept vibrating off. So I just "shimmed" it with a piece of paper and solved the problem. One of the sets of wheels on the backside of the base rotates while the other set are fixed. Sometimes the bottom-most wheel rotates downward and the dummy can rest on it ever so slightly. This makes the base shift on the floor a bit. So I just used a rubberband to hold the wheel up. Problem solved.

That's it! No other problems and I still love this dummy!

sanjuro_ronin
04-22-2008, 04:11 AM
Are the arms inline or off center?
Have you tried to really drill it yet?
Beat it like it owes you money?
:D

KPM
04-22-2008, 05:17 AM
Are the arms inline or off center?

----Off center

Have you tried to really drill it yet?

---Oh yeah! And despite the padding, I've had the bruised knuckles to show for it! It takes a kick pretty well too. Not like kicking a heavy bag, but good enough.

Beat it like it owes you money?

---It will tip, kind of like a real opponent or partner that you have off-balanced backwards. But you really have to be going into it...taking space, and it has never come close to falling all the over backwards. The nice thing is that since it is free-standing and there is no mounting frame or wall to get in the way, you can practice closing to a really close range and simulate standing chokes or other Chin Na applications.

sanjuro_ronin
04-22-2008, 05:22 AM
How long did it take you to get one after ordering?

Graychuan
04-22-2008, 06:25 AM
Hi Guys!

I like this website, Mr. KPM. Simple and to the point. Im sure the guys at 'Warrior' will appreciate the review. What type of drills and such do yo do for structure and body unity other that the classic form? My Jong has padding and is built pretty sturdy (pvc/wood) and it was custom made. Every drill or exercise I learn from Chi-Sao,partner drills, Lop rotations, Yut fook Yee, Tan Da, Gong Da and such I also practice on the Jong.

KPM
04-22-2008, 08:05 AM
How long did it take you to get one after ordering?

Two months. But I ordered it just before the Christmas holidays, so I 'm sure that slowed things down.

KPM
04-22-2008, 08:14 AM
:DI like this website, Mr. KPM. Simple and to the point.

---Thanks Chris! I put it up primarily as a way to connect with people in my area that are interested in Wing Chun.

What type of drills and such do yo do for structure and body unity other that the classic form?

---The basic drill I do and teach is this: stand in front of the dummy in the YGKYM with your hands touching the trunk in the horizontal "Po Pai" position. Now press forward with the hips and transmit that force up the torso and through the arms in a wave-like fashion so that you are "hitting" the dummy with your body without lifting your palms from the trunk. With my Warrior dummy I can lift the front end off the floor about 4-6 inches before the whole thing can slide away from me. I also do the standard dummy form with "pressing" energy. I slow it down to about half speed and work each movement with forward energy pressing into the dummy's 45 degree line. The "wave" action comes in here as well.

Every drill or exercise I learn from Chi-Sao,partner drills, Lop rotations, Yut fook Yee, Tan Da, Gong Da and such I also practice on the Jong.

---Yep! That's the advantage of having your own dummy! I even practice the third section of the SNT form on my dummy! :) One thing that I really liked from the Ku Lo Pin Sun system when I was studying it was that each San Sik was also practiced on the dummy. So I look for ways to break out sections from each of the Yip Man forms or from the standard partner exercises and apply them on the dummy. There's a whole gamut of things you can do on the dummy other than the Mook Yan Jong Form itself. Its the training partner that never complains and is always available when you want to work out!