PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts Artists

GeneChing
02-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Heres a thread - artists who draw inspiration from martial arts - let's see if it goes anywhere.

Visionary Artist (http://www.visionmagazine.com/archives/0802/artist.html)
Michele Benzamin-Miki

BirthMichele Benzamin-Miki’s art is deeply informed and inspired by over two decades of martial arts training (Aikido and Iaido sword), social activism, and meditation teaching. In addition to reaching out to people of color and indigenous peoples as a Buddhist teacher, Michele also works with at-risk youth in local reservations and the inner city juvenile justice system. Woven throughout her work are elements borne from her mixed Japanese, North African, and European-American heritage, as well as her identity as a woman of color. She is originally from Los Angeles and currently resides in Warner Springs, California, where she is co-founder of Manzanita Village Buddhist Retreat Center.

“I find that Buddhism has helped me to not ‘die with the muse’,” says Benzamin-Miki. “You know, muses are not human. So when artists align with them,…[they] will take you to places where you don’t sleep, you don’t eat— there’s no balance in living. I’ve seen artists who do that. My Buddhist practice helps to balance out the discipline and rawness of art. I’d have been a candle that burned out really quickly otherwise.”

“I feel that art is about revolution,” Benzamin-Miki continues. “Tolstoy once said that art inspires non-violence. Art can inspire the passage of, and means to, non-violence. It alone can do that. This is so important to know, because if you go out and participate in a march, or make a strong political statement regarding injustice, you can be possibly locked up. With art, however, you can get away with more to inspire non-violence. You can really push the envelope with the images you put out. For me, my art is like getting to express in a transcendent language which circumvents belief systems…Art can bring people to a deeper place of spirituality, of activism, of anything.”

You can view more of Michele Benzamin-Miki’s art as well as sign up for her current art show and teleseminar email list at www.artmbm.net. Visit www.manzanitavillage.org for information on the retreat center and upcoming classes.

冠木侍
02-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Very nice article Gene. Careful...people here make race out to be hot button issue. (semi-sarcasm).

But I digress.

It is nice to hear about martial artists who draw inspiration from their training to create things. I think that personally it is difficult for me to appreciate good art but I definitely respect Michele Benzamin-Miki for what she does after reading the article you provided.

On topic, I read an article a while back about Ed Parker Jr. If I remember correctly, he is quite the talented artist/martial artist as well.

I'm sure you have something on it Gene.

GeneChing
03-03-2008, 10:19 AM
I think so. I thought about posting this on Successful Street Applications (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49825), but I liked the Double vision in the two article titles so far (plus I'm hoping this thread becomes a good archive...)

Zane Brock: From martial arts to concert promotion, he has a unique sense of vision (http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_8435847?source=most_emailed)
Ann Parker - Sentinel Correspondent
Article Launched: 03/03/2008 04:02:13 AM PST

It's almost easier to ask Zane Bock where he hasn't been, what he hasn't done and what he doesn't plan on doing.

The 29-year-old's life is already a full one. He has traveled throughout Europe and as far away as Africa and New Zealand, and lived in Japan for six months. A dedicated movie buff, Bock made four short documentaries while earning a degree in film production at Antioch College. He supervised and taught students of the Traveling School International. He's a self-trained drummer, practices martial arts and recently tried surfkayaking for the first time.

And while he was in college, Zane even drove a car. Not such a remarkable feat -- unless you've been blind since birth.

Beginning at age 6, Zane spent nine significant summers at Napa's Enchanted Hills Camp for the blind and visually impaired.

"A lot of music legends come out of there," he notes. "It changed me forever."

An avid reader since kindergarten, he read Braille books until attending Santa Cruz High School, where he was valedictorian, but now uses a computer with a scanner and speech synthesizer.

"I try my hardest not to be dependent," says Zane, who lives in a downtown Santa Cruz apartment.

He has also experienced significant physical health problems and in 1995 received a kidney transplant from his father, Lou Bock.

Talking with Zane is like flipping through an eclectic catalogue. The conversation leapfrogs over science fiction, organic fertilizer, Funkadelic's "Def Metal" and the Oscars, coming to rest on his latest endeavor: concert promotion.

"I have three bands I'd like to promote," he says. One is Black 47, a nationally known Irish-American band Bock is bringing to the Santa Cruz Veterans Hall on Thursday.

He also owns and manages a business, marketing water-permeable crystals that expand to become a unique floral base; it's linked to Natural Farmers [www.naturalfarmers.com], a company his grandfather started and that Zane and his father split five years ago.

In his spare time, Bock laughs, "I think about things I haven't accomplished yet" -- like studying whale vocalizations.

Even as a child he had unusual aspirations: "I wanted to be a studio engineer, or maybe an inventor," he recalls.

"I still want to be a film director -- probably horror movies. Oh, and I'd like to try drag racing: it's just going straight, I could do that," he grins wickedly.

What job would he not want?

"A wedding DJ or film critic," he says promptly. "Maybe a dancer -- although I did try tango once."

Zane Bock rarely refers to his blindness, but he does have a request for the city of Santa Cruz: "That intersection by the Rio Theatre really needs chirping signal lights."