mok
02-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Here's some darn good gung fu from Taiwan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3J2qOBaIcQ

diego
02-19-2008, 01:32 AM
Here's some darn good gung fu from Taiwan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3J2qOBaIcQ

What's the move he is doing at 39-42 seconds...cat stance, some sort of chamber and double backfist, repeat on other side...we have similar technique in the Kajukenbo Hop Gar I train, but it's called wing spreads...you go into side bow stance and double backfist low to groin and then open up for double backfist to face, step, and do on other side.:)

cool vid, wish it was longer...

mok
02-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Diego,

Not sure what that move would be called in the context of this set as I'm not familiar with it, but generally we'd call that "double splitting gold fist".

jow yeroc
02-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Excellent. Crisp and expressive but not overdone. Like good steamed veggies.

mok
02-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Excellent. Crisp and expressive but not overdone. Like good steamed veggies.

:D

As an aside, the youtube titles/comments said Hung Gar, but someone on another forum couldn't help noticing the hoi jong looks "jow ga"? any thoughts?

jow yeroc
02-22-2008, 07:20 AM
It does look slightly jow-ish. But not quite. He doesn't do the three salutes.
Could be a variation tho. Is this a hung set or no? Which one if so.

Laukarbo
02-22-2008, 07:32 AM
Hi,
the title says Hung Gar Tiger Leopard Fist

the info box says says...
Taiwan Lingnan Boxing Association, Hongfei martial arts, Chan lighting demonstrations, Hong Quan, Hung-style boxing, boxing Haw Par, South Shaolin boxing, Shaolin boxing, Nanquan

from what i see the beginning part (salute) is Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen (tiger crane) also the end salute..some parts are from fu hok some from 5 elements and some parts are certain hung flavor but arenot in the forms I know...
I would sau this is a hung gar competition form ..specially made for those ocasions...

jow yeroc
02-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Interesting. Too bad i can't read chinese yet, because when i watched the clip
i thought i saw flashes of jow ga fu pao (tiger, leopard, tho' my sifu calls it tiger
cougar-same thing) but wasn't quite sure what i was seeing. Didn't know
there was a hung ga fu pao. Like you said a competition form or maybe unique
to a Taiwan branch??

Laukarbo
02-22-2008, 06:02 PM
hehe... hey I used google translate for most of the translation..
in hung gar we dont have a tiger leopard fist form..I know ha say fu has single animal forms and we have the 5 animal form..so my best guess is this is just a made up form for competition..I dont believe this is an unknown form as the beginning and endpart is clearly fu hok...some of the movements might be taken from Jow Gar..who knows ? I dont have much knowledge about jow gar..just recognise lots of hung in the form.:D

ngokfei
02-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Visually it appears to be a Competition Set. Alot of other material combined. Still a cool set.

As for there being a Tiger Leopard Set, Not in WFH Hung GA. I've got a book I think is Tiger Panther or something and it resembles the same family as the Ha Say Fu sets of WL.

taai gihk yahn
12-04-2008, 08:18 PM
my first sense of it was either Jow Ga or Hung Faht; overall, very nicely done - strong but not leaden;

chusauli
12-04-2008, 08:49 PM
I've seen some Taiwanese Hung Gar, and they have some unique sets, still, its recognizable Hung Gar. And well done, too.