PDA

View Full Version : The color of training

todi laugin
02-20-2008, 09:44 AM
What colors should be worn when training? What are the different effects of light or dark colors when training? Why do colors matter when training? Does any one know?

Please explain. Thankyou

MightyB
02-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Pink is the best.

lkfmdc
02-20-2008, 09:46 AM
PINK

wearing PINK makes you tough.... i don't have to explain it to you, you'll experience it first hand. Wear a pink uniform to class, you'll get really, really tough. Ask Gene LeBell!

lkfmdc
02-20-2008, 09:47 AM
DAAAAARRRRRRRRNNNNNNNN

he beat me to it :mad:

BruceSteveRoy
02-20-2008, 09:49 AM
i personally don't think there is any significant correlation between what color you wear and the quality of your training (unless its pink). but i have heard that its a common belief in tcma schools that wearing red gives you more energy. sounds like more of the traditionalist hoodoo to me. man, when did i become so skeptical of everything? i blame coach ross.

sanjuro_ronin
02-20-2008, 10:01 AM
I would agree with pink.
Gene LeBell wears pink and he choked out God.

WinterPalm
02-20-2008, 10:06 AM
I would agree with pink.

I always heard the choke wasn't placed very well but God gassed and tapped because of this.

sanjuro_ronin
02-20-2008, 10:36 AM
I always heard the choke wasn't placed very well but God gassed and tapped because of this.

Mere propaganda put out by his followers.
He tapped and was choked out and he knows it, deep down in places he doesn't talk about at parties, he knows...

Mook Jong
02-20-2008, 11:44 AM
For instance

sanjuro_ronin
02-20-2008, 12:33 PM
For instance

Exactamundo !

golden arhat
02-20-2008, 01:28 PM
go watch walker texas ranger and copy chuck

HOKPAIWES
02-20-2008, 01:44 PM
go watch walker texas ranger and copy chuck

Right, everything looks better in really tight starchy jeans. Todi, just ignore the chaffing.

golden arhat
02-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Right, everything looks better in really tight starchy jeans. Todi, just ignore the chaffing.

people will just look at you and your badge and cower in terror

grow a beard aswell

BruceSteveRoy
02-20-2008, 02:16 PM
did i hear someone say they are looking for chuck norris 'action jeans'?

http://www.scaryideas.com/watermark.php?src=2958.jpg

banditshaw
02-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Fuschia and Salmon colors are by far the best to train in, but are hard to find.
Hot pink over standard pink will make you the badder ass. I'm sure Gene would agree.

xcakid
02-20-2008, 04:16 PM
I suck at fighting so my color is always balck and blue.

drleungjohn
02-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Green/Blue/Purple relaxes skeletal muscle
Red stimulates or contracts-
White and Black does nothing

A true story-Baseball cap bills,the undersides used to be green-they were changed to gray when the coaches and trainers recorded the ball players progress- since the green color was going into their line of vision-performance went down,reaction time went down-they used gray-a neutral color and the numbers started changing for the better-

Now don't ask me about football fields,green grass,uniforms etc--

golden arhat
02-21-2008, 01:06 AM

i want em!

Drake
02-21-2008, 02:35 AM
I would agree with pink.

Actually, he caught God in an ear grind and God tapped out. There's rumors of a rematch.

sanjuro_ronin
02-21-2008, 05:14 AM
Actually, he caught God in an ear grind and God tapped out. There's rumors of a rematch.

Dude....
:eek:

Ben Gash
02-21-2008, 05:32 AM

Actually not a bad idea, my jeans tend to have a seriously short life span due to Kung Fu abuse (and it's hard to sidekick in them).

BruceSteveRoy
02-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Green/Blue/Purple relaxes skeletal muscle
Red stimulates or contracts-
White and Black does nothing

i would like to see some actual research on the matter before i would deem this a scientific opinion. if it isn't repeatable in a controlled environment than its just anecdotal. anything on pubmed about this?

Ben Gash
02-21-2008, 08:32 AM
if it isn't repeatable in a controlled environment than its just anecdotal.

What, like evolution of species, isotope degredation dating, carbon driven climate change etc,etc

BruceSteveRoy
02-21-2008, 09:20 AM
What, like evolution of species, isotope degredation dating, carbon driven climate change etc,etc

there is a large body of evidence to substantiate those theories. but even still if they haven't been proven than from a scientific standpoint they are just theories. you can't say they are scientific fact even if they make logical sense.

i work in psych research and i am extremely skeptical of claims that things like wearing a certain color have substantial physiological effects on people. all i asked for was some research to show that there is a credible source to back up the "scientific" claim that was made. if i said the same thing of evolution you could point me toward viable research, right?

my point about it being merely anecdotal was that if the extent of the 'research' was the baseball scenario than there are a lot of factors that could play in to the cause fo the improved performance.

drleungjohn
02-21-2008, 09:14 PM
No worries-I never looked for "research"-PubMed,Mantis,MedLine or other wise-so I can relate being a Doctor-where today everything is "Where's the published research?

But Colombus didn't need published research to go around the world-and look at "modern" Western Medicine-they are only now admitting that Cough Syrup Doesn't work,Vaccinations don't work and so on-20-30 years behind the Alternative Health Care world-True that they say they Now have verifiable Published research-but what about all the other people who"discovered it" and tried to get published-and didn't because they were the first,or it didn't fit the Magazines belief structure,or-or-or--You know the deal-you know how it goes-
And I agree-there are a lot of variables with the Baseball cap story-but it's an intersting concept

Take Cold Red Light laser therapy-a lot of written work on it's effects wrt healing due to the red light end of the wavelength spectrum-just takes time for the Orthodox people We have put in control to catch up, when they seem to be behind the bandwagon,or until they finally figure out how They can make money on it

Drake
02-21-2008, 09:54 PM
I guess smallpox just sort of went away on its own, huh?

drleungjohn
02-21-2008, 10:49 PM
The history and controversy of vaccines is well documented and written about and is quite eye opening when you read it-

Yum Cha
02-22-2008, 04:38 AM
I recall some research done in American Prisons where they tested different coloured paint on the walls and found that certain colours reduced the amount of assaults and anti-social incidents, statistically over time.

Advertisers have long known that different colours elicit different emotional responses from individuals.

While I think the topic of the thread is a bit ridiculous, no offense, I think there are grounds to say that there is a significant body of evidence that colour does effect mood and behavour.

But I do take the point that the strictest of scientific method may not have been observed.

sanjuro_ronin
02-22-2008, 05:14 AM
I recall some research done in American Prisons where they tested different coloured paint on the walls and found that certain colours reduced the amount of assaults and anti-social incidents, statistically over time.

Advertisers have long known that different colours elicit different emotional responses from individuals.

While I think the topic of the thread is a bit ridiculous, no offense, I think there are grounds to say that there is a significant body of evidence that colour does effect mood and behavour.

But I do take the point that the strictest of scientific method may not have been observed.

I recall that study, red being the worse and pink being the best in terms of settling down the inmates.

Drake
02-22-2008, 05:54 AM
The history and controversy of vaccines is well documented and written about and is quite eye opening when you read it-

And being a bit educated on the matter ( I do enjoy biology) I'd like to know the fundamental flaws in the concept of vaccinations.

sanjuro_ronin
02-22-2008, 06:04 AM

Controversy and "not working" like you mentioned before are two very different things.

Drake
02-22-2008, 06:14 AM
Source - Wikipedia

[edit] Events following reductions in vaccination
In several countries since 1960, reductions in the use of some vaccines were followed by increases in the diseases' morbidity and mortality.

Stockholm, smallpox (1873–74)
An anti-vaccination campaign motivated by religious objections, by concerns about effectiveness, and by concerns about individual rights, led to the vaccination rate in Stockholm dropping to just over 40%, compared to about 90% elsewhere in Sweden. A major smallpox epidemic then started in 1873. It led to a rise in vaccine uptake and an end of the epidemic.[12]

UK, DPT (1970s–80s)
A 1974 report ascribed 36 reactions to pertussis vaccine, a prominent public-health academic claimed that the vaccine was only marginally effective and questioned whether its benefits outweigh its risks, and extended television and press coverage caused a scare. Vaccine uptake in the UK decreased from 81% to 31% and pertussis epidemics followed, leading to deaths of some children. Mainstream medical opinion continued to support the effectiveness and safety of the vaccine; public confidence was restored after the publication of a national reassessment of vaccine efficacy. Vaccine uptake then increased to levels above 90% and disease incidence declined dramatically.[13]

Sweden, pertussis (1979–96)
In the vaccination moratorium period that occurred when Sweden suspended vaccination against whooping cough (pertussis) from 1979 to 1996, 60% of the country's children contracted the potentially fatal disease before the age of ten years; close medical monitoring kept the death rate from whooping cough at about one per year.[14] Pertussis continues to be a major health problem in developing countries, where mass vaccination is not practiced; the World Health Organization estimates it caused 294,000 deaths in 2002.[15]

Netherlands, measles (1999–2000)
An outbreak at a religious community and school in The Netherlands illustrates the effect of measles in an unvaccinated population.[16] The population in the several provinces affected had a high level of immunization with the exception of one of the religious denominations who traditionally do not accept vaccination. The three measles-related deaths and 68 hospitalizations that occurred among 2961 cases in the Netherlands demonstrate that measles can be severe and may result in death even in industrialized countries.

Ireland, measles (2000)
From late 1999 until the summer of 2000, there was a measles outbreak in North Dublin, Ireland. At the time, the national immunization level had fallen below 80%, and in part of North Dublin the level was around 60%. There were more than 100 hospital admissions from over 300 cases. Three children died and several more were gravely ill, some requiring mechanical ventilation to recover.[17][18]

Nigeria, polio, measles, diphtheria (2001 onward)
In the early 2000s, conservative religious leaders in northern Nigeria, suspicious of Western medicine, advised their followers to not have their children vaccinated with oral polio vaccine. The boycott was endorsed by the governor of Kano State, and immunization was suspended for several months. Subsequently, polio reappeared in a dozen formerly polio-free neighbors of Nigeria, and genetic tests showed the virus was the same one that originated in northern Nigeria: Nigeria had become a net exporter of polio virus to its African neighbors. People in the northern states were also reported to be wary of other vaccinations, and Nigeria reported over 20,000 measles cases and nearly 600 deaths from measles from January through March 2005.[19] In 2006 Nigeria accounted for over half of all new polio cases worldwide.[20] Outbreaks continued thereafter; for example, at least 200 children died in a late-2007 measles outbreak in Borno State.[21]

Indiana, measles (2005)
A 2005 measles outbreak in Indiana was due to children whose parents had refused to have them vaccinated.[22] Most cases of pediatric tetanus in the U.S. occur in children whose parents objected to their vaccination.[23]

sanjuro_ronin
02-22-2008, 06:23 AM
My little girl got vaccinated againist chicken pox and last year in her daycare the chicken pox made a run, 8 kids got it, her and 4 other that all got the vaccines didn't and one kid that didn't get the vaccine didn't either ( though he was only exposed towards the end of the "outbreak").
Good enough for me since all the kids that got it, none had been vaccinated.

drleungjohn
02-22-2008, 06:53 AM
Guys-don't get nuts over the vaccination thing-it's about Kung Fu-and we all know
Wiki pedia is no place to get your info from on accuracy-

True that History and Controversy are different-but they are linked in the reasons why-

If nothing else-start searching the net and bookstores about it-or if you are taped into Research Journals you can do a search and find enough info-

Sanjuro-I am glad for your daughter

sanjuro_ronin
02-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Guys-don't get nuts over the vaccination thing-it's about Kung Fu-and we all know
Wiki pedia is no place to get your info from on accuracy-

True that History and Controversy are different-but they are linked in the reasons why-

If nothing else-start searching the net and bookstores about it-or if you are taped into Research Journals you can do a search and find enough info-

Sanjuro-I am glad for your daughter

We were quite indecisive about giving her the CP vaccine so our family doctor gave us literature on the pro's AND Con's of vaccinations, very revealing, he also gave us info on antibiotics too, also quite revealing.

Nothing on colours though ;)

David Jamieson
02-23-2008, 04:24 AM

Artists have known since early time that color can invoke primal response similar to the way sound can do this, or for that matter, any sensual experience. Sight and sound are the longest range and most used senses in regards to overall perception of the world around us though.

Not that this has much to do with the bother of belt ranking systems and their inherent uselessness in actual standardization of anything. :-)

having said that, i would give credit to artists for knowing the qualities and effect of colour before giving credit to advertisers who merely exploit that knowledge. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just credit given where credit is due that's all. :-)

the Preacher
02-23-2008, 05:49 AM
luscher color test (http://www.viewzone.com/luscher.html)

The Luscher Color Test was devised by psychologist Max Luscher in 1969. It's effectiveness has been known in advertising, automotive and the fashion industry for years. Now you can gain some insight on your inner struggles and problems with this highly effective color test.

:D

cjurakpt
02-23-2008, 06:43 AM
luscher color test (http://www.viewzone.com/luscher.html)

The Luscher Color Test was devised by psychologist Max Luscher in 1969. It's effectiveness has been known in advertising, automotive and the fashion industry for years. Now you can gain some insight on your inner struggles and problems with this highly effective color test.

highly unreliable - all the "answers" are vague and easily applicable to most people in some way

as far as research in general: the thing to remember that in medicine, science, etc., there is a range of relatively objective to relatively subjective; it's not only what you are testing but how you test it; for example, if you give 100 people a deadly neurotoxin, most if not all will die, and the placebo effect won't have much impact; also, the "success" criteria is very straight forward: live or die; if you are testing the effects of a new medication, you will have variability, but you can account for things like dosage, regimen of intake, and placebo effect will be present but controlable and accountable to some degree; success of the medication will be fairly straightforward, e.g. a change in values on some sort of test; if you are testing a homepoathic remedy, then you are going to have much more variability because of things like the high degree of subjectivity involved in choosing a remedy for someone in the first place (meaning that the skill of the practitioner is an important consideration), and also the fact that success in this case would be difficult to test, being relatively subjective;

the point is that you can have different types of research, and each type will yield different types of valuable evidence, as long as you are internally consistent; I could, for example, run some highly informative anecdotal studies on certain things, but from a statistical perspective they wouldn't have much power, but they can give you a lot of insight as to how to deal with the specifics of a given individual, if you are able to understand the "sub text" of how to look a someone in an integrated manner; likewise, you can look at large sample double blind randomized clinical trials and get a general sense, but when it comes to individuals, there is going to be a great deal of variability that may not fit into the studied parameters - on the other hand, it can also keep you wary about using something that anecdotally has "worked", but that in general has not been found to have significant effects

so as for color, we can certainly agree that color has an impact on people; what we can't necessarily say is that green will relax muscles, etc. for everyone: the degree of variability is not only unknown, it is highly subjective; as for vaccines, the reality is this: on the macro level, they have saved millions of lives; on the micro level, there are certainly individuals who have had negative responses - but a lot of it is just hype: for example, I am sure that there are some kids who have developed "autism" after receiving a vaccine, but I find it hard to believe that they were not predisposed in some other way, and who is to say that the vaccine was the only thing that tipped them over the edge? in fact, I recall some studies done in UK and Japan where they either stopped giving a certain vaccine or took out a preservative that some people were gripping about, and there was no change in terms of the number of kids with autism before and after (I can try to look them up, I just don't feel like going on Medline right now)

I think that the mistake is to say ""X" may not be provable, but look how many other accepted things aren't either" - that gets nowhere; what needs to be done is to look at a given subject thoroughly, understand the pluses and minuses and go from there; like the color test above: never mind that no explanation is given to explain why a given color pairing should result in a given answer, as I read through the various answers, many of them could be applied to my life right now equally, and in fact there were a few that were more applicable right now than the one I chose - so i really have no choice but to question the basis for this test; another example is manual therapy, which John can no doubt relate to: we have both seen people get both expected and unexpected results from various manuevers: some can be explained very linearly, others not at all; some techniques can be readily tested in an objective manner, others would be nearly impossible; we choose some based on a logical algorythmic process, others we use because it just seems to be the right thing to do for some intuitive reason; both equally valid, IMHO...

just my 2 cents...

David Jamieson
02-23-2008, 08:09 AM
the luscher test is a crock of crap.

just wanted to put that out there. IE the answers or "results" will be more or less the same no matter what you pick just slightly worded differently and a slightly different focus but each will deal with the normalness of human reality.

In short, no one has a super happy go lucky life. At least, not anyone with at least half a mind and we are all for the most part directed by self interest. ergo, Luscher's test has as much value as a horoscope. It's nonsense and appeals to the broadest strokes one can paint across the face of humans.

cjurakpt
02-23-2008, 09:40 AM
the luscher test is a crock of crap.

considering the source, not surprising...

the Preacher
02-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Barnum Effect
Barnum Effect : is a term that is used in psychology. It is the tendency for people to accept very general or vague characterizations of themselves and take them to be accurate. A good example of this can be seen when people believe what is said about them in psychometric tests, personality profiles, astrological predictions, and so on. This phenomenon is named after P. T. Barnum, who believed that a good circus had "a little something for everybody." Even though the descriptions or descriptive terms used in the inventories, typologies, and tests can apply equally well to other people, some individuals are gullible enough to believe they are unique to themselves. Of course, this is exactly what happens with the horoscope, palm reading, and crystal ball gazing (Referring to the comments of P.T. Barnum, 1810-1891, American showman, about public gullibility).

David Jamieson
02-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Barnum Effect
Barnum Effect : is a term that is used in psychology. It is the tendency for people to accept very general or vague characterizations of themselves and take them to be accurate. A good example of this can be seen when people believe what is said about them in psychometric tests, personality profiles, astrological predictions, and so on. This phenomenon is named after P. T. Barnum, who believed that a good circus had "a little something for everybody." Even though the descriptions or descriptive terms used in the inventories, typologies, and tests can apply equally well to other people, some individuals are gullible enough to believe they are unique to themselves. Of course, this is exactly what happens with the horoscope, palm reading, and crystal ball gazing (Referring to the comments of P.T. Barnum, 1810-1891, American showman, about public gullibility).

People each believe themselves to be meaningful and special. It is only with considerable introspection, followed by keen comprehension of just how insignificant each of us is and at the same time recognizing those aspects of our lives were we are indeed important. Sort through that and come to a definition of self that you can live with, then move on and get to living your life. If you spend all your time in the practice of finding out who you are, then you likely won't.

Seppukku
02-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Barnum Effect

The "Gay" Effect:
The Gay effect is actually derived from the Beggar's Opera by John Gay, whihc he once described as a "tragic-comi-pastoral farce". The "Gay" effect describes the way in which one creates umbrella-typologies for various "effects" of human psychology--the pecadillos and the foibles that characterize various follies. In essence, it's the inclination to create sub-groups of "effects" and the like, and to ascribe to them some kind of psychological relevance, or some kind of layman's value in applying them for satirical purposes.

The Preacher's citation above is an example of the Gay effect.

In effect, the Preacher is Gay!

the Preacher
02-24-2008, 08:55 AM
"The Buggers Opera"
scene 1

Yum Cha
02-25-2008, 03:43 AM
People each believe themselves to be meaningful and special. It is only with considerable introspection, followed by keen comprehension of just how insignificant each of us is and at the same time recognizing those aspects of our lives were we are indeed important. Sort through that and come to a definition of self that you can live with, then move on and get to living your life. If you spend all your time in the practice of finding out who you are, then you likely won't.

Add that to my observation that most psychologists entered the field to try and figure themselves out, only to eventually set their powers loose on an unsuspecting public.

That about says it all....:D

onehawaiian
03-06-2008, 06:27 PM

http://www.scaryideas.com/watermark.php?src=2958.jpgwtf? :eek: