PDA

View Full Version : The youngest GrandMaster of WCK.

ironfists
02-21-2008, 03:30 AM
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=IylKqkg3sHQ

wow!

Ali. R
02-21-2008, 04:43 AM
I inherit the Woo Fai Ching Wing Chun System at age 43… I’m technically a Grand Master of that system just of last years; I just don’t use the title…

How old is that guy?

Ali Rahim.

KPM
02-21-2008, 06:14 AM
Interesting wooden dummy design!

Ali. R
02-21-2008, 06:32 AM
Interesting wooden dummy design!

The lower the dummy the stronger his techniques will become, by training to have body unity through a low center of gravity… This way you can fight with structure alone, with “ying lik sao” and without force at all, and just about every move that you make, will almost become a pin or trap…

I was also told to lower my dummy...

Ali Rahim.

KPM
02-21-2008, 10:59 AM
The lower the dummy the stronger his techniques will become, by training to have body unity through a low center of gravity… This way you can fight with structure alone, with “ying lik sao” and without force at all, and just about every move that you make, will almost become a pin or trap…

I was also told to lower my dummy...

Ali Rahim.

Its not just low, the arms are different!

Ali. R
02-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Its not just low, the arms are different!

I just noticed that, maybe someone could mention why the different spec on that particular dummy… :confused:

Ali Rahim.

Liddel
02-21-2008, 04:56 PM

I see the Jong as a protractor, so having a lower dummy where outstretched arms are at your chest rather than close(r) to your face...

...would mean habbit actions were lower than where one would need to apply them when someone tries to smack you in the face (being higher) in real life.

Having it lower can have bennifits to stance and COG sure, but there are negitive bi products that one must be aware of IMO.

Its to low for me, im 6"1.

DREW

Sihing73
02-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Hello,

I am afriad I am with Drew on this one. When told to lower the dummy the shape remains the same, protractor effect previously referred too. Now if you train to lower your stance while working the dummy, and force this by lowering the dummy hight, you will see improvement in both balance and power. However, by changing the dummy arms as shown in this clip, really seems to be something other than WC, imho.

Graychuan
02-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Hello,

I am afriad I am with Drew on this one. When told to lower the dummy the shape remains the same, protractor effect previously referred too. Now if you train to lower your stance while working the dummy, and force this by lowering the dummy hight, you will see improvement in both balance and power. However, by changing the dummy arms as shown in this clip, really seems to be something other than WC, imho.

No reason to be afraid, mane, I agree with you also on the position of the arms. I prefer the classical design to the Muk Jong. It would be interesting to hear differences of opinion on the hieght. I think this will come down to a Chunners interpretaion of distancing and bridging and how much chum one wants to develope in overall structure.

Graychuan
02-21-2008, 07:13 PM
No reason to be afraid, mane, I agree with you also on the position of the arms. I prefer the classical design to the Muk Jong. It would be interesting to hear differences of opinion on the hieght. I think this will come down to a Chunners interpretaion of distancing and bridging and how much chum one wants to develope in overall structure.

As an afterthought maybe this could be a worthy topic for another thread?

~Cg~ (in anti-hijacking mode):D

Museumtech
02-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Let's see if I can articulate this properly. Lowering the dummy will/should force you to lower your stance but your biomechanics will be all wrong in an actual fight situation. i.e. low stance and effectively a low guard (because your training was done on an artificially low dummy). My advice would be to train on a normal hight dummy in a lower stance if that is what you want. Then you will be used to doing the techniques at the right angle.

For the record, the GM in the clip doesn't appear to be low in his stance he is, in fact reaching down to the arms. Maybe the original stand on his dummy broke and we are all theorising about an artifact of makeshift equipment?

Graychuan
02-21-2008, 08:42 PM
I could be wrong but arent there some southern Chinese arts like Choy Li Fut that may have used a different design other than the classical Jong? There seems to be a lot of them(jong variations) on the NET.:confused:

Liddel
02-21-2008, 09:55 PM
I could be wrong but arent there some southern Chinese arts like Choy Li Fut that may have used a different design other than the classical Jong? There seems to be a lot of them(jong variations) on the NET.:confused:

That would make alot of sence cause other arts have jumping and major bending of the waist etc etc in the application of techs which would be better suited with a different design :rolleyes:

On the other side of the coin, most humans are represented with the Classical VT shape. Stright up and down body, two arms and one leg foward when advancing.

On the point of calling oneself a GM. I personally dont agree with the term, especially now days with so many practitioners of our style....

IMO Gm Ip himself didnt just coin the term so he could be a big shot.... it was started by his friends students and peers whom felt him worthy of such a title....
One of the biggest aspects of such a title IMO would be experience in using, as well as knowledge of the/a system...so someone of such a young age is not eligible.

Just my opinion.

DREW

Sihing73
02-21-2008, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=Museumtech;844042]Let's see if I can articulate this properly. Lowering the dummy will/should force you to lower your stance but your biomechanics will be all wrong in an actual fight situation. i.e. low stance and effectively a low guard (because your training was done on an artificially low dummy). My advice would be to train on a normal hight dummy in a lower stance if that is what you want. Then you will be used to doing the techniques at the right angle.QUOTE]

Hello,

Not to nitpick but how would being in a lower stance with the dummy hight staying high provide the techniques at the right angle. Would'nt you now be reaching up to the arms, etc.

I dissagree that a lower stance teaches incorrect body mechanics. A low stance is for the purpose of training and if one can move and apply techniques from a lower base, provided one still retains structure in relation to the stance, then one will be much stronger from a raised or higher stance. One will find that moving will be much easier than from the lower stance and you should see some nice benefits from training in a lower stance. Why would the biomechanics be all wrong?

Museumtech
02-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Dave, perhaps I misunderstood/misinterpreted some of the earlier posting. I am constantly reminded to "lower my stance" in class as I will develop more power from a lower stance. That is the power behind a strike coming from a low stance will be greater than one from a higher stance. This is what I assumed was being discussed earlier on in the post. Hence my allusion to fighting in the same stance that you train in.

Am I right in that you are talking about practicing in a stance much lower than you would actually fight with? If this is so then I stand corrected.

Peter

Sihing73
02-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi Peter,

Yes I mean to train with a lower stance. For example if the upper dummy arms in line with your nipple and the dummy were lowerd a few inches then your stance should try to remain in perspective and be lowered so as to still be in line with the nipple.
Hope we are on the same page.

LoneTiger108
02-22-2008, 03:22 AM
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=IylKqkg3sHQ

wow!

'Grandmaster' from a Leung Ting Ving Tsun ranking perspective by looking at the legwork and uniform. LT does use this title in his gradings and personally I find nothing wrong with that since he is his own entity, regardless of what others may think about him.

I inherit the Woo Fai Ching Wing Chun System at age 43… I’m technically a Grand Master of that system just of last years; I just don’t use the title…

Being a 'Founder' or Sijo of a system does not automatically mean you are a Grandmaster or Sigung imo. I'm a Sijo myself, but with regards to Grandmaster it really should be taken literally imho. If you have produced a Sifu who has ALSO produced a Sifu, then I think the Grandmaster title sits well.

My son, who is 6, was taught to refer to my Sifu as Sigung by me as a sign of respect even though he is not a WCK student. I guess it all depends on how you view your link with your teacher.

Perhaps someone will be able to tell me how the Japanese do this, as I know that Sensei is equivalent to a Sifu, then there's others as you go up the Dan scales like Shihan & Hanshi etc. Does anyone know what they mean?? I'd presume these titles are quite similar...

see the Jong as a protractor, so having a lower dummy where outstretched arms are at your chest rather than close(r) to your face...

On the Dummy note, I've always been told that the height of your dummy should reflect what you want to get out of it. Of course there's a preference to have it personalized to your exact height, but if your Sifu is shorter than you are he may well ask you to lower it! :rolleyes: The Wooden 'Man' should be approached in this fashion imho. If all your training partners are 6ft, there would be no point in having a 5ft dummy and vice versa. Also a low dummy was usually used for Southern Fist systems who also utilize larger/lower stancework. I do the same when I want to drill some empty-hand pole techniques... ;)

Ali. R
02-22-2008, 04:15 AM
Being a 'Founder' or Sijo of a system does not automatically mean you are a Grandmaster or Sigung imo. I'm a Sijo myself, but with regards to Grandmaster it really should be taken literally imho. If you have produced a Sifu who has ALSO produced a Sifu, then I think the Grandmaster title sits well.

:D Well Thank You!!!

My teacher has been teaching for decades, I started learning from him in my pre-teens, when my father passed away he adopted me as his grandson… He learnt from Yip Man himself and Leung Sheung…

It is my sifu system and his way of fighting, he did not want to use the names of his deceased friends or comrades to launch his way of teaching… He taught at least 30 in which got cut down to 8 students there in Michigan, I was the only one left, all the way to his very last class…

One day I met a man, who said he could give me a wing chun legacy and that his system is the original or the best, if I would only follow him as his student…

When I took that back to my sifu, he said; “you already have a legacy”, 8 years later I became a master and sole heir of his system when he got sick and his wife made him stop teaching…

Then I was told four years later that I must carry his system on… If I don’t then it will surely die out… I have well over a hundred students, and have over 15 sifus and some also have instructors under them that’s under my teaching and I have promoted two masters next to my rank, and my students here in Louisville have met them both, and other sifus in the ‘Woo Fai Ching’ system as well... ;)

I’ve been teaching for over 20 years…

Ali Rahim.

Graychuan
02-22-2008, 08:08 AM
Hi Peter,

Yes I mean to train with a lower stance. For example if the upper dummy arms in line with your nipple and the dummy were lowerd a few inches then your stance should try to remain in perspective and be lowered so as to still be in line with the nipple.
Hope we are on the same page.

My thoughts exactly, mane!:)

Good post.

LoneTiger108
02-26-2008, 07:00 AM
As far as the 'Youngest' Grandmaster goes, has anyone heard of this gent??

http://www.wingtjun.nl/Yip_Man-Wing_Tjun/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=42

There was a Facebook group that promoted him as Leung Tings youngest Grandmaster (at the time!)

Ali - As always, I'm humbled by your personal story. It's funny though, as Lee Shing was known 'very well' by Leung Sheung (apparently) as they both were in the Restaurant Workers Unions and trained with Ip Man at similar times in HK.

Strange how one becomes 'known' and the other decides to stay in the shadows...

Ali. R
02-26-2008, 11:12 AM
As far as the 'Youngest' Grandmaster goes, has anyone heard of this gent??

http://www.wingtjun.nl/Yip_Man-Wing_Tjun/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=42

Strange how one becomes 'known' and the other decides to stay in the shadows...

You’ll be surprised on how many of those guys that are out there… Like my sifu he didn’t teach openly most of the time and he never needed the money and had no ideal that his pass surrounding would become historical, when he came to America he just lived a normal life, because to him his life was always normal and nothing special, so why should he pretend to be something other then himself?

I believe that he had no intention on getting famous or known… He just took what he had learnt and made it his own, while passing it down to others, hence, the “Woo Fai Ching” system.

Before you can know anyone, they would have to introduce themselves to you, and give you some type conversation, especially if they want to be known…

Ali Rahim.