PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Dino Salvatera Hung Sing Choy Li Fut Article ?

Firehawk4
02-22-2008, 09:35 PM
High in his article he mentions a drill set that master Lau Bun taught called Seven Star Punch is this some kind of Choy Li Fut San Sik and how does one do it ? Also I have a book on Choy Li Fut by Leo Fong where the stances are much higher than the kind of stances in Doc Fai Wongs Choyli Fut style and Lee Koon Hungs , I think Leo Fong learned his Choy Li Fut from the Lau Bun Lineage . Anyways the stances in Sifu Dinos article are like what is in Leo Fongs Cho Li Fut book i guess because they come from Lau Bun is Lau Buns Choy Li Fut different then the other styles of Choy Lee Fut ? and what kind of San Sik Does Choy Li Fut have ?

diego
02-23-2008, 08:47 AM
High in his article he mentions a drill set that master Lau Bun taught called Seven Star Punch is this some kind of Choy Li Fut San Sik and how does one do it ? Also I have a book on Choy Li Fut by Leo Fong where the stances are much higher than the kind of stances in Doc Fai Wongs Choyli Fut style and Lee Koon Hungs , I think Leo Fong learned his Choy Li Fut from the Lau Bun Lineage . Anyways the stances in Sifu Dinos article are like what is in Leo Fongs Cho Li Fut book i guess because they come from Lau Bun is Lau Buns Choy Li Fut different then the other styles of Choy Lee Fut ? and what kind of San Sik Does Choy Li Fut have ?

link to the article?

bakxierboxer
02-23-2008, 11:16 PM
... Also I have a book on Choy Li Fut by Leo Fong where the stances are much higher than the kind of stances in Doc Fai Wongs Choyli Fut style and Lee Koon Hungs , I think Leo Fong learned his Choy Li Fut from the Lau Bun Lineage ....

That the one with "Lin Wan Kuen"? (or some such)
I usually try to forget that book (and anything else he wrote) was ever written.

hskwarrior
02-25-2008, 12:25 PM
hey folks,

in the particular article, my sifu just happened to use a higher horse than his normal. many pictures circulating out there with him in his typical low strong horse. now, our sei ping ma, is typically a mid range horse stance, because we feel me move better mid range. nothing wrong at all with big wide horses, we just don't do them.

My sifu's horse is more typical of the Lau Bun style horse stance, and more precise would be Sigung Jew Leong's stance more so than DFW or Leo Fong represents.

oh, and actually, our seven star punches are drills using the basic seed fists. in the article, prof lau bun was standing while the others were punching. those drills are done side to side and moving forward and backward. that is our seven star punching drills.

Lau Buns Choy Li Fut different then the other styles of Choy Lee Fut....

The above statement is completely true. until the turn of the century, the only CLF you've ever seen was either Chan Family, or LKH. But the lau bun CLF is one of the most preserved lineages of original fut san hung sing clf going back to Jeung Yim. Today, most lineages trace themselves to Chan Ngau Sing, but Yuen Hai was his senior by more than 20 years. Yuen Hai was with Jeung Yim since the beginning and is one of the 3 main disciples of jeung yim.

Our personal movement is NOT typical of CLF you see today. The Lau Bun lineage has evolved into what it is today. we are still pretty private with what we teach, and have never posted any type of list to show what forms we teach. so most don't know what we teach. blame our elders for that one.

and can you explain san sik? if that has to do with power you must be saying it wrong.

Firehawk4
02-26-2008, 06:23 PM
San Sik is Separet Techniques or usued in sets of threes . I would asume that your Seven Star Punch is some kind of San Sik there is alot of San Sik in Wing Chun like Koo Loo Wing Chun is all San Sik . I would guess that all styles of Kung Fu have San Sik .l

hskwarrior
02-28-2008, 01:52 PM
The combo's in our lineage are typically 3, 5 and 7 handed techniques.

On a beginners level we focus on one strike at a time. but as our students progress, they pick up more hands and footwork.

thanks for you message.

hsk

buddhapalm
03-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Regarding the Leo Fong book "Lin Wan Kuen". That form is from T.Y. Wong's Fut Gar. Originating from Leong Tien Chu. They have traditionally higher horses in that brand of Fut Gar.

Cheers,

Buddhapalm

bakxierboxer
03-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Regarding the Leo Fong book "Lin Wan Kuen". That form is from T.Y. Wong's Fut Gar. Originating from Leong Tien Chu. They have traditionally higher horses in that brand of Fut Gar.

Cheers,

Buddhapalm

If so, I stand corrected..... but I still wanna forget it! :rolleyes:
(especially since it seems I still remember it all too well)

buddhapalm
03-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Not a problem. Leo Fong did learn CLF, but that particular form was from his other teacher T.Y. Wong. I think he had another book out on the CLF too right ???

bakxierboxer
03-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Not a problem. Leo Fong did learn CLF, but that particular form was from his other teacher T.Y. Wong. I think he had another book out on the CLF too right ???

"Thanks, but no thanks!"
(I really don't wanna know!)
(OTOH, I think Leo Fong did much better with his old-time "partnership" with Ron Marchini....?)

seisei
03-06-2008, 09:30 AM
I remember meeting Leo Fong a few times he came from stockton ,calif usally on weekends to learn under our master and at the same time with another great master, t.y.wong of the kim mon studio so he could write his books. Already he knew different martial arts,so his thinking in my opinion ,was containing a mixture of metods, not truely representing the systems he wrote about in their intended way and like I said he with us practiced about a year or so on weekends he seemed to be a good person if I remember correctly he was a reverend of some type

hskwarrior
03-06-2008, 12:20 PM
I never got to meet Leo Fong SeiSei.......

was he a fighter? Do you know how old Leo Fong was when he went to Professor Lau?

bakxierboxer
03-06-2008, 01:22 PM
I remember meeting Leo Fong a few times....

I'm pretty sure I never met him...
OTOH, I remember a couple of meetings with Dan Inosanto and Tonny Tulleners when they were on their way up to Stockton for a tournament that he and Ron Marchini were running.

... he came from stockton ,calif.... he seemed to be a good person if I remember correctly he was a reverend of some type

That sounds about right.
I just hated the photos/stances in his book.

seisei
03-06-2008, 04:06 PM
it was a long time ago but if i were to guess he was in his late 30's or early 40's that was in the early 1960's. I somewhat remember him always talking about boxing and youth groups mostly,i did not know him well at all ,i hung out with more of a chinatown crowd and much younger group.i never met the Ron Marcini fellow.my senior classmates knew who Leo Fong was but mostly he came in learned some forms the went to kim mon to learn more forms i believe lLeo just learned the basic forms the horse and long fist.

bakxierboxer
03-06-2008, 08:08 PM
it was a long time ago but if i were to guess he was in his late 30's or early 40's that was in the early 1960's.....

That sounds "about right", too.... although I think he'd be on the "younger side" of those ages.

... the Ron Marcini fellow.

Marchini was a bit of a "force to be reckoned with" in open tournaments.... a rarity for a fairly strict JMA stylist.
I think my "memory" is telling me did RimboKan.

Tulleners was another mostly JMA stylist who was no-one you wanted to treat lightly in tourneys.
Don't remember if he won any, let alone as many as Marchini.

hskwarrior
03-07-2008, 02:06 PM
why do you dis-like Leo Fong so much? LOL.

bakxierboxer
03-08-2008, 10:31 AM
why do you dis-like Leo Fong so much? LOL.

I don't.
It's the pix in his first(?) book I didn't like.

hskwarrior
03-08-2008, 11:04 AM
ahhhhh. thanks for clearing that up.

peace