PDA

View Full Version : New web site

Onjer
02-22-2008, 09:43 PM
All,

Having been practicing 8-Step Praying Mantis, along with Shuai Chaio, Ba Gua, Hsing-I, etc. for a while - I decided to post a modest site. This site ended up to be more of a homeage to my teacher, Lin Chun-fu, than anything else. But, As I develope it, it will contain cross-over material that will include other MMA as well.

Please check out www.practicalprayingmantis.com. The videos are very home-spun. I plan to replace them w/ one's more polished. I also intend on showing more actual applications - throws, etc.

As time goes one, I intend to show some of the cross-over material we've developed. The site will have a "contact me" facility. Until then, please feel free to offer an constructive critisism.

Thanks,

Lou

Piercinghammer
02-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Lou:

Thanks for sharing, nice job. I have a similar backround to yourself, living in
Northeast Ohio. Your shuai chaio clips look good.

Mike Biggie
Akron Kung fu Academy
7 star Praying mantis, Hong Kong, branch.
Choy li fut, Hung sing branch

Oso
02-25-2008, 05:42 AM
yea, thanks for sharing. I appreciate your candor in the bio. :)

yu shan
02-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Nice site Lou. I look forward to seeing more. Your bio shows you are a humble man.

Question, are you teaching in the park or do you have a school?

Jim

Onjer
02-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Jim,

We're still in the park. The owner of the JJ place I train has offered to let me have the place off hours. So, I'm considering moving there at some point.

Mantis_Student
02-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Mr Onjer I liked your website I like how you are laying out forms with video demonstrations of such which is hard to collect on the web. I was hoping to see some practical application of praying mantis but you will get to that I suppose.

Three Harmonies
02-26-2008, 08:17 PM
With whom are you training Jiu Jitsu? Are you using your mantis against these guys?
Jake

monji112000
02-26-2008, 08:27 PM
With whom are you training Jiu Jitsu? Are you using your mantis against these guys?
Jake

what mantis guard? I have read about this guard but never seen it used. Personally I use cobra guard allot.

Three Harmonies
02-27-2008, 08:45 AM
What are you babbling about?? Or are you just a troll?

Mantis_Student
02-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Mr Onjer, I would also like to state that I liked reading about your Master's opinions on the different forms. I ususally dont like that stuff but when they are coming from an actual master who has spent the majority of his life studying I pay attention. But yeah Im also curious about three harmonies question about using Mantis on the Jiu Jitsu guys or practical application of Mantis in sparring in general. Thanks.

Onjer
02-27-2008, 08:32 PM
I'll start by saying I'm not great at BJJ - but I'm not too bad either. With all my other training, I don't spend enough time at it. My MA backgroung has been very useful in not only BJJ, but kick boxing as well.

First of all, BJJ starts with take-downs. By having a solid foundation, I have a good base to work from. The high-level BJJ guys are very relaxed and fluid. This is something my teacher preached constantly. My overall MA training has taught "ting-jer" or listening energy. The sensitivity of interpreting the opponents immediate intention. So, when he's going from a submission, I sense what's going on and counter berfore it's too late.

Another thing that helps is not over-reacting. When a BBJ opponent wants to pull, he'll push first, and then use the resistence help the pull. I know that game from Shuai-chaio. In traditional Chinese painting, the brush stroke goes one way, then opposite. If one yields (like in push hands), the pull won't work so well.

In boxing, the power comes from alignment and the back leg - a concept very familiar to me. My Muay Tai kicks came very fast, because the movement was very close to be-man-jou (slam the door) kick.

But like I said in my bio, I don't use Tang Lang much in the BJJ gym. Most of the techniques are all-or-nothing. Skeptics think that's an excuse, but it's true... .

monji112000
02-27-2008, 09:22 PM
I'll start by saying I'm not great at BJJ - but I'm not too bad either. With all my other training, I don't spend enough time at it. My MA backgroung has been very useful in not only BJJ, but kick boxing as well.

First of all, BJJ starts with take-downs. By having a solid foundation, I have a good base to work from. The high-level BJJ guys are very relaxed and fluid. This is something my teacher preached constantly. My overall MA training has taught "ting-jer" or listening energy. The sensitivity of interpreting the opponents immediate intention. So, when he's going from a submission, I sense what's going on and counter berfore it's too late.

Another thing that helps is not over-reacting. When a BBJ opponent wants to pull, he'll push first, and then use the resistence help the pull. I know that game from Shuai-chaio. In traditional Chinese painting, the brush stroke goes one way, then opposite. If one yields (like in push hands), the pull won't work so well.

In boxing, the power comes from alignment and the back leg - a concept very familiar to me. My Muay Tai kicks came very fast, because the movement was very close to be-man-jou (slam the door) kick.

But like I said in my bio, I don't use Tang Lang much in the BJJ gym. Most of the techniques are all-or-nothing. Skeptics think that's an excuse, but it's true... .

sounds like your having fun. How long have you been mixing it up?

Onjer
02-28-2008, 09:14 AM
I started cross training about two and a half years ago. As long as there's a place around that's not too crazy, I suggest cross training for everyone. It's finding the right place that's the trick.