PDA

View Full Version : MMA & violence

GeneChing
02-25-2008, 03:34 PM
I almost put this under Busted Teachers (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48947), but it didn't quite fit there.

Fight promoter denies link to shooting (http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=6913685f-684e-4528-a05c-c0b77fa002ba&k=61818)
By Suzanne Fournier, The Province
Published: Monday, February 18, 2008

A shooting on the Musqueam reserve during a mixed martial arts event had nothing to do with band members, say the fight promoters.

Tim Thurston, 33, was shot in the leg outside the Musqueam gymnasium Saturday night. The fighter is in Vancouver General Hospital after undergoing surgery for a fractured femur and is expected to make a full recovery.

Vancouver police said yesterday they have made no arrests in connection with the shooting.

Gerry Gionco, a Vancouver boxing promoter who supplied the ring and equipment for the event, said the shooting "had absolutely nothing to do with the event. People were milling around afterwards and there were just some punks who had been hanging around bothering the fighter earlier when he was trying to concentrate."

Fight promoter T.J. Thomas of Honour Combat Championships said he is "really saddened" by the shooting.

"The reserve doesn't deserve bad press because they had nothing to do with it and we did everything we could to run a great event," said Thomas.

He said he is angry at Musqueam band member Gail Sparrow, a former chief, who said the sport was not welcome on the reserve.

"We did everything with the co-operation of the Musqueam Chief, Ernie Campbell. In fact, we have a photo of him in the ring with the fighters," said Thomas. "Mixed martial arts is the most popular, fastest-growing sport in Canada."

Mixed martial arts is banned in Vancouver and many other B.C. municipalities.

Promoters of the sport have been staging events on the Squamish Nation gym for many years, because reserves are not subject to local bylaws.

Oso
02-25-2008, 08:39 PM
enh, if you look at the actions of some of the crowds at even the UFC events (and the fact that alchohol is served) it stands to reason that there will be violence associated with the event.

add to that, seemingly in this case, young men will often laugh and ridicule things that they either don't understand or are too scared/insecure to try themselves.

if I were a hippie, I'd say someone should reach out to those young men. ;)

sanjuro_ronin
02-26-2008, 05:08 AM
MA without some sort of discipline is nothing but a potential powder keg.

1bad65
02-26-2008, 07:59 AM
I don't even like going to live events unless I'm cornering a fighter. The crowd is full of idiots. Because they are watching fighting, some idiots think they can fight.

When I used to go to a local speedway it was similar. After watching the races you would always have a few idiots in their cars leaving and driving like they were race car drivers.

sanjuro_ronin
02-26-2008, 08:15 AM
I don't even like going to live events unless I'm cornering a fighter. The crowd is full of idiots. Because they are watching fighting, some idiots think they can fight.

When I used to go to a local speedway it was similar. After watching the races you would always have a few idiots in their cars leaving and driving like they were race car drivers.

Or coming out of a given MA movie !

Ah kids...

1bad65
02-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Or coming out of a given MA movie !

Ah kids...

We were so lauging at the gym the other day about that. We were saying how wherever that new MMA movie plays the parking lot will be filled with motorcycles, and the theater full of guys with shaved heads, goatees, tattoos, and Tapout shirts who have never trained a day in their lives.

sanjuro_ronin
02-26-2008, 08:43 AM
We were so lauging at the gym the other day about that. We were saying how wherever that new MMA movie plays the parking lot will be filled with motorcycles, and the theater full of guys with shaved heads, goatees, tattoos, and Tapout shirts who have never trained a day in their lives.

MA and role playing go hand in hand I am afraid to say.

Oso
02-26-2008, 05:55 PM
MA and role playing go hand in hand I am afraid to say.

say it isn't so!!!!!

on the MMA side of things as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm shocked and outraged. There go all my dreams of MMA being something different...something real...something you could count on...hold in your hands........

GeneChing
04-30-2008, 09:20 AM
"Fight Club was the beginning, now it's moved out of the basement, it's called Project Mayhem." Tyler Durden

Police see risks with recent fights in city parks (http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2008/04/30/news/local/24-fightclubs.txt)
By ZACH BENOIT Of The Gazette Staff
Mixed martial arts is everywhere. Spend a few minutes channel surfing and there's a good chance you'll come across a mixed martial arts, commonly called MMA, match.

If you attended Thursday Night Fights at the Bab**** Theater throughout the 2007-2008 season, you may have seen one in downtown Billings. And facilities that teach MMA have been popping up around town.

But if you were near either Poly Vista or Pioneer Park a few weeks ago, you may have seen an unsanctioned, unofficial match.

Shortly after 9 p.m. on April 11, Billings Police officers responded to reports of a large fight involving more than 100 people in the baseball field at Arrowhead Elementary near Poly Vista Park. When officers arrived, the group scattered.
They managed to detain a handful of onlookers and were informed that it was not 100 people fighting but two.

Unofficial match
The rest of the crowd was there to watch the unofficial MMA match. Billings Police Sgt. Kevin Iffland said the group appeared to be mostly teenagers and that the fighters were wearing padded gloves and may have been fighting in timed rounds.

A short time later, the crowd regrouped at Pioneer Park to continue the match. Police were once again dispatched to calls of a large fight, and the crowd scattered again.

At the second incident, a teenager was arrested for obstructing a peace officer, but no other citations were issued.

Over the past several years, MMA has exploded into popular culture. Basically full contact, it combines a variety of sports including boxing, wrestling and martial arts. Two mutual combatants, usually wearing padded gloves, square off in a ring and attempt to defeat the other by knockout or forcing him to give up in a series of timed rounds.

"It's a very volatile topic right now," said Terrill Bracken, who owns and operates American Fusion Martial Arts in Billings. "It's in movies, it's on every TV network. It has a huge impact. But it's just like anything else in that it can be a positive thing."

At least three centers, including American Fusion, in Billings teach MMA in some form. Bracken said the sport has seen increasing popularity in Billings in the past two years, and students in his classes range from "hard-core competitors to moms to doctors."

'We've got this phenomenon ...'
Police have come across at least three unofficial MMA fights in Billings parks - including the two on April 11 - since the beginning of the month, Police Chief Rich St. John said.

"We've got this phenomenon showing up in parks and drawing large crowds to them," he said.

The events have drawn hundreds of spectators, St. John said, and that poses a large problem. While the Police Department does not want unsanctioned events like this going on in city parks, participants technically aren't doing anything illegal. If they agree to the match and follow city park rules and regulations, it is not much different than two wrestlers practicing in park, at least in the eyes of the law.

However, if the crowds are large and causing too much noise and community members call the police, they can be disturbing the peace, which is illegal, Iffland said.

"If they're disturbing somebody else's peace, that would be where the police are getting involved," he said.

Such a large number of people gathering to watch the fights poses a larger risk, both to the crowds and the surrounding neighborhoods. With possibly dozens of vehicles coming to and from a small area like a park parking lot, the risk of a traffic-related accident increases substantially.

Add to that the fact that - as with the April 11 incidents - the crowd sometimes bolts when police show up, and some of those fleeing may try to get to their vehicles and leave, and that risk increases again.

"It seems to attract crowds that go racing down the street," said City Council member Ed Ulledelan, who has received calls from concerned constituents regarding the Poly Vista incident.

The risk to participants is also greater because they are not competing in a controlled, professional environment, Bracken said. At American Fusion, fights are closely refereed, fighters are required to wear safety gear at all times, and a strict set of rules is enforced. But, in the parks, those rules may not be so rigid, and fighters may not use safety gear at all.

"While I appreciate the enthusiasm, parks and playgrounds are no place for MMA," Bracken said. "It's not a safe environment. No matter how soft the grass seems, it's not the same. If they want to play like the big boys, they need to have some responsibility."

St. John said the crowd, high on the excitement from the fight, "can easily develop into a mob mentality," with larger brawls breaking out amongst onlookers, presenting serious problems to surrounding neighborhoods.

Response
When police determined the crowds and fighters were largely made up of teenagers, one of the first steps taken was informing the school resource officers with the goal of identifying people involved.

"We want to get out there to who's doing this," Iffland said. "It's mainly got to be done through the schools."

To date, the only arrest made was the obstruction arrest on April 11, but the resource officers are working to identify the participants and educate students of the dangers of unofficial events such as the park fights, St. John said.

"We obviously don't want unsanctioned events in our parks," he said. "There are proper places and times to do it."

Bracken said anyone interested in MMA should follow the proper channels and begin taking classes instead of taking it the parks. One of the most important aspects, he said, is not the fighting itself, but the discipline, technique and respect that it teaches.

"Things like this do more harm than good for the sport," he said. "All it takes is one person getting hurt. Those rules are put in place for a reason."

sanjuro_ronin
04-30-2008, 09:46 AM
It seems that it may end up falling on the shoulders of the coaches and teachers in gyms and schools involved in MMA to remind their trainees that MMA is a SPORT and must be fought in sanctioned events or at the gym.
Nothing else will be tolerated.

1bad65
04-30-2008, 10:21 AM
It seems that it may end up falling on the shoulders of the coaches and teachers in gyms and schools involved in MMA to remind their trainees that MMA is a SPORT and must be fought in sanctioned events or at the gym.
Nothing else will be tolerated.

I'd be willing to bet most of the 'trainers' don't have the training or experience needed to train people in MMA. There have been quite a few guys busted over on Bullshido running MMA gyms who have absolutely NO training in MMA at all.

sanjuro_ronin
04-30-2008, 11:34 AM
I'd be willing to bet most of the 'trainers' don't have the training or experience needed to train people in MMA. There have been quite a few guys busted over on Bullshido running MMA gyms who have absolutely NO training in MMA at all.

I think you missed the point.

1bad65
04-30-2008, 10:50 PM
What is the point then?

You said it might fall on the shoulders of coaches in MMA gyms. So I pointed out that the poseurs who open gyms have no clue anyway. Notice you never see guys from legit gyms involved in this stuff.

I know no one I've ever trained with would do this crap. And I train under legit guys who have proven experience and lineage.

Oso
05-01-2008, 04:03 AM
if it were teenagers then they are probably fighting out there because they can't fight a full on adult rules match anywhere and, as kids, they think they are bulletproof and should be allowed and because they aren't, they take it upon themselves.

not really any different a situation than anything else that is forbidden to kids that they decide they want to do.

sanjuro_ronin
05-01-2008, 04:07 AM
What is the point then?

You said it might fall on the shoulders of coaches in MMA gyms. So I pointed out that the poseurs who open gyms have no clue anyway. Notice you never see guys from legit gyms involved in this stuff.

I know no one I've ever trained with would do this crap. And I train under legit guys who have proven experience and lineage.

The point being that wither someone is "qualified" to teach MMA ( and I put qualified in quotations because qualifications are up in the at this time) is not the issue, the issue is instilling a sense of responsibility and common sense into a trainee in regards to what he is learning and how/where he can test it.
If the people teaching it don't care, why should the trainee?

By the way, did you just mention "lineage" ??
LOL !!

Becca
05-01-2008, 06:46 AM
What is the point then?

I know no one I've ever trained with would do this crap. And I train under legit guys who have proven experience and lineage.I'll refute that statement... and with a video link, too.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/video/16079772/index.html?treets=den&tid=2659772064813&tml=den_irr&tmi=den_irr_1_01000304302008&ts=H

1bad65
05-01-2008, 07:56 AM
If the people teaching it don't care, why should the trainee?

That's my point. You can't expect an unqualified guy who opened up an MMA gym to cash in on the MMA craze or stroke his ego to instill values in the students.

Becca, my vid player at work is all jacked up. What was in that vid?

Becca
05-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Sorry, couldn't find the story in print, only in vid. It's a story out of Cincinatti on the children's MMA program run by JG MMA Academy (http://www.teamjorgegurgel.com/Schedule.htm). Jorge Gurgel is very well known in most MMA circles as a good solid trainer.

(note: see Tu & th at 5pm)

SAAMAG
05-01-2008, 10:34 AM
MMA doesn't promote violence, and I'll kick anyone's arse who says otherwise!!!! ;)

1bad65
05-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Becca, running a kids MMA program and having your students playing MMA fighter in the streets are two diffent things entirely.

Becca
05-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Becca, running a kids MMA program and having your students playing MMA fighter in the streets are two diffent things entirely.
Agreed. BUT..... you teach them young how to do MMA, then deny them the chance to compete till they are 16, the kids are going to go roll in the park. It really has little to do with the trainer. What I got from what you were posting was that a good teacher would not teach a kid the wrong way and most of the people opening MMA clubs lately have no clue about MMA, as you define it. JG MMA is a very well know club run by experienced MMA fighters and world renowned trainers. But all thier training aint going to keep a basically good kid with training from being goaded into a fight. I used to be one of those moms who was shocked when my kid did something morronic that he knew better than to do. Then I woke up. Good kids do dumb things because they don't engage the brain before the mouth/body/ego, ect. You train a 6-year-old, you will get a kid who ends up using it before the age of 18. And probably before a crowd of people. MMA is the "in thing" so rolling in the park is a quick ticket to being one of the in kids.

1bad65
05-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Agreed. BUT..... you teach them young how to do MMA, then deny them the chance to compete till they are 16, the kids are going to go roll in the park.

You do know there are kids divisions in BJJ tournamnets right? You do know kids can box like in Jr Golden Gloves? You do know kids can wrestle in wrestling tournaments right? That's competing.

What park were the kids rolling at again?

It really has little to do with the trainer. What I got from what you were posting was that a good teacher would not teach a kid the wrong way and most of the people opening MMA clubs lately have no clue about MMA, as you define it.

It has alot to do with the trainer, and with the parents.

I never said MOST trainers have no clue, I said there are SOME people who have been caught teaching without the proper experience to do so.

JG MMA is a very well know club run by experienced MMA fighters and world renowned trainers. But all thier training aint going to keep a basically good kid with training from being goaded into a fight.

The JGMMA trainer said NONE of their kids there have ever fought outside of the gym!

Also, IMO if you goad someone and you get beat, you deserved it. How is it a bad thing for one kid to fight another kid who STARTS crap with him?

MMA is the "in thing" so rolling in the park is a quick ticket to being one of the in kids.

Again, where is this rolling in the park you speak of?

Becca
05-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Sorry. Forgot you like to reinvent and rephrase your posts when others find logical faults with them. I will stop this immediatly. As far as what park... did you even read Gene's last post? Or was you regular browser not working, like your video, either?

1bad65
05-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Sorry. Forgot you like to reinvent and rephrase your posts when others find logical faults with them.

Did I alter any posts in any way?

As far as what park... did you even read Gene's last post? Or was you regular browser not working, like your video, either?

Yup. It mentioned kids fighting in a park. The kids ran away when the police arrived. So no one can say for certain the kids train MMA at a gym. It also said this:

"Bracken[a MMA gym owner and coach] said anyone interested in MMA should follow the proper channels and begin taking classes instead of taking it the parks. One of the most important aspects, he said, is not the fighting itself, but the discipline, technique and respect that it teaches."

Becca
05-01-2008, 09:03 PM
The scary part is you just more or less agreed with what i've been saying, and you're absolutely convinced you got the best of this argument.:rolleyes:

1bad65
05-01-2008, 09:55 PM
You know me better than I do. :rolleyes:

It APPEARS you think teaching kids MMA is a bad thing, I think it's not a bad thing if done properly. And it sounds like the gym mentioned in the vid is one of the ones doing it properly.

shadowlin
05-03-2008, 08:57 AM
I'll be glad when MMA craze cools its jets. All these Dieselheads really annoy the community of martial arts. If it weren't illegal, the posers would have been run out of town all over the world by real MA experts a long time ago. Alas the wild west, so to speak, is over. For better or worse? I don't know.

But it's time for all martial arts to evolve.

Norman Conway
05-08-2008, 02:59 AM
Gyms should sign up their MMA guys to provide security for the place, kick people out more. A lot of guys go to things like that to cause a ruckus, they should be slapped on the wrists and thrown out in a blaze of pathetic glory. The government should simply make laws about security at those things, less security at concerts and more at big crazed white guy fests.
As for MMA its high time it gives up the dogged military crap and start taking on some of the 70s style of martial arts, I'm sick of watching dudes sprawled out with their gracie ****. Western wrestling, sambo, and the sort of mongol/hung-gar/sanshou stuff is where the grappling should be going. That stuffs better than pro-wrestling for the spectator and its real.

Norman Conway
05-08-2008, 03:01 AM
I didn't realize there was censorship, gracie s wards.

Becca
05-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Gyms should sign up their MMA guys to provide security for the place, kick people out more. A lot of guys go to things like that to cause a ruckus, they should be slapped on the wrists and thrown out in a blaze of pathetic glory. The government should simply make laws about security at those things, less security at concerts and more at big crazed white guy fests...Awwww... Did somebody get kicked out of a concert?:rolleyes:

If you don't like modern MMA then don't watch it. I'm not sure where you are making the distinction between Jiujitsu and wrestling. Have you actually seen submissionwrestling latly?:confused:

David Jamieson
05-08-2008, 08:25 AM
I did juvenile boxing as a teen. we were not allowed full contact matches until 16 and no fc matches without full gear.

that's 14oz gloves, header gear, cup and mouthguard.

not sure kids should be choking each other out while their bodies are still developing.

adult and children bodies are hugely different and training in hard martial arts as a child with full contact etc does have a chance attached to it of irregularities at an older age.

if done properly and with utmost concern for children's safety, then you could do it.

better than the Thai stuff like betting on 9 year olds to knock each others lights out. That kind of stuff is just pathetic.

I do agree there are a lot of schlemiels running ma gyms out there. probably about 90% more than there should be really :p , but what are ya gonna do? we live in a capitalist and individually aggressive, assertive society that encourages and nurtures domination over others.

Shaolin Wookie
05-11-2008, 03:20 AM
adult and children bodies are hugely different and training in hard martial arts as a child with full contact etc does have a chance attached to it of irregularities at an older age.

if done properly and with utmost concern for children's safety, then you could do it.

better than the Thai stuff like betting on 9 year olds to knock each others lights out. That kind of stuff is just pathetic.

I agree. I think kids can participate in martial arts, but they have to participate as children, not pro fighters in training. I'm not going to bring up basic dog psychology....but there's something about that spartan pardigm of MMA that requires adult comprehension.

Teach the kid wrestling, teach him karate, kickboxing, etc. all with requisite safety gear and precautions. Let him blend later in life and develop that killer instinct on his own--not as something that's a product of his MA training, but as a competitive instinct curious to competition.

golden arhat
05-11-2008, 04:17 PM

yeah i'l bet there are more than a few guys who are intermediate at JJ judo and muay thai no trally excelling at either who are peddlingg MMA

Yao Sing
05-11-2008, 05:24 PM
What park were the kids rolling at again?

Again, where is this rolling in the park you speak of?

Are you really that lazy that you can't refer back to the first page to get the name of the parks?

"But if you were near either Poly Vista or Pioneer Park a few weeks ago, you may have seen an unsanctioned, unofficial match."

You want to know the city and state go look it up.

The scary part is you just more or less agreed with what i've been saying, and you're absolutely convinced you got the best of this argument.:rolleyes:

There is no end to the amusement provided by some of these threads. I'm seriously beginning to think that MMA has a detrimental effect on brain cells. :D

Are you referring to MMA as a style (combo of MT, BJJ and Boxing) or are these guys teaching with NO martial arts background at all. Not bashing or starting a fight, just want to clarify.

And I train under legit guys who have proven experience and lineage.

I just really like this statement (mostly the 'lineage' part) coming from a guy training MMA style. :p

The line between MMA and TCMA is rapidly blurring. Seriously, has a clear definition of MMA been established and agreed on by all? I ask because peeps seem to keep referring to it like it's a style. Case in point the thread on the Southern Forum about CLF vs MMA.

GeneChing
07-28-2008, 09:58 AM
I suspect there's a lot more to this story....

Mixed martial arts promoter injured, 15 suspects sought after Que. hotel brawl (http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=b7507179-429c-4550-9b87-8c8ed3979cbe)
Canwest News Service
Published: Monday, July 28, 2008

OTTAWA - A 28-year-old Mississauga, Ont., man and another 38-year-old man were knocked unconscious following a brawl in a Gatineau, Que., hotel room Sunday that sent three people to hospital.

Both men regained consciousness later in the day. None of the injuries were life-threatening.

Police responded to a call Sunday of a beating at a hotel room just after 4 a.m.

Lieut. Claude Vaillancourt said six men and two women were in a room on the eighth floor when they heard a knock on the door.

When one occupant opened the door, 15 people entered the room.

The six men were shot with a stun gun and beaten with bottles, said police. The women were unharmed.

Fifteen suspects, all from Ontario, were in Gatineau to participate in an Ultimate Fighting Challenge event at a local arena Saturday night, Vaillancourt said.

The event's promoter was one of the victims taken to hospital, police said.

No names have been released.

Brawl after Hull martial arts meet leaves man in coma (http://news.aol.ca/article/ot-beating-080728/291637/)
Source: CBC News
Posted: 07/28/08 8:25AM
Filed Under: Canada

A man remained in a coma in hospital Monday following an assault in Gatineau's Hull district Saturday night on three men who had just participated in a mixed martial arts tournament nearby, Gatineau police reported.

As of Monday morning, no one had been arrested in relation to the attack in which 10 people allegedly showed up at a Best Western hotel room with stun guns and beat the three occupants with bottles and their fists.

The three victims, aged 28 to 38, including two Ontario men, were sent to hospital. Two of them, who suffered from cuts and facial injuries, have been released.

Police confirmed all three had participated in an ultimate fighting tournament at the Robert Guertin Arena Saturday evening and one was the promoter of the event.

Kevin Huang
08-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Just because a few people get into a fights doesn't mean that all or even most MMA guys are into breaking the law by being violent at public events.

The media would have people believe that MMA guys are violent sadists who beat each other up for fun. That may be true for some, but not for the majority. Most MMA guys are simple upstanding citizens who enjoy the art of combat but abhor criminal violence. Lots of guys like to fight, but they don't like to HARM themselves or others.

There's just as much, if not more, violence at a rock concert as there is at a MMA event. Yet nobody automatically claims that people that enjoy rock music and attend rock concerts are violent criminals who break the law.

I think it's better that people exercise their competitive urges in a safe legal setting like a kung fu kwoon or MMA academy than break the law in street brawls. I do not support street brawling in any form, and there's no excuse for it whatsoever.

The majority of MMA is practiced and enjoyed by law abiding citizens who stay within the law. Were that not the case, MMA would be banned nationwide and around the world.

Crime at MMA events is NOT PROFITABLE, financially or situationally.

uki
09-10-2008, 06:53 PM
MMA is a fücking joke. there is no art whatsoever involved in the mma... none. it is the byproduct of fear... men fighting in cages like animals-ironically there are rules. it is an attempt to sever the classic master-disciple relationship... it promotes fear, hate, violence, anger, and aggression... it is an insult to all true martial artists.

lkfmdc
09-10-2008, 08:01 PM
MMA is a fücking joke. there is no art whatsoever involved in the mma... none. it is the byproduct of fear... men fighting in cages like animals-ironically there are rules. it is an attempt to sever the classic master-disciple relationship... it promotes fear, hate, violence, anger, and aggression... it is an insult to all true martial artists.

dear lord, another one :rolleyes:

what's the matter, did the big bad MMA guy kick sand in your face and kiss your girlfriend? :cool:

uki
09-11-2008, 05:15 PM
dear lord, another one well that is what happens when the immune system gets fired up... the re-enforcements coagulate.

what's the matter, did the big bad MMA guy kick sand in your face and kiss your girlfriend?actually the big bad McMartial Arts guy couldn't handle the job and quit... as for one of those fûckers kissing my girlfriend... ha, she's a more solid backfist than any dipsh!t MMA'er. all ego and entertainment. the MMA is for show buisness... eat that tough guy's.:p

SimonM
09-12-2008, 06:44 AM
That's nice but the backfist is still a dumb punch.

uki
09-12-2008, 12:07 PM
That's nice but the backfist is still a dumb punch.what better way to knock out a dumb McMartial artist than with a dumb punch...

Vash
09-12-2008, 05:25 PM
I've met a fair number of MMA trainees and TMA guys. Seen about the same douche-factor across the board. Which is to say, more than enough, but not as much as expected.

uki
09-12-2008, 07:30 PM
I've met a fair number of MMA trainees and TMA guys. the trainee's are not guys?

Seen about the same douche-factor across the board.i didn't know it was possible to see a douche factor... guess i am looking for the wrong things.

Which is to say, more than enough, but not as much as expected.you mustn't have too high of expectations. :cool:

Mr Punch
09-13-2008, 09:52 AM
MMA is a fücking joke. there is no art whatsoever involved in the mma... none. it is the byproduct of fear... men fighting in cages like animals-ironically there are rules. it is an attempt to sever the classic master-disciple relationship... it promotes fear, hate, violence, anger, and aggression... it is an insult to all true martial artists.Where on earth does all this vehemence come from? Haven't you smoked your bowl yet this morning?!

Are there any other sportsmen you detest? Ping-pong players perhaps? Rowers? Volleyball players?

Most guys in MMA train very hard. It's no joke. You sound from your posts like you train hard (good for you) but you're always banging on to others on here about not having experienced your training so not being qualified to comment, yet how much of a serious MMA competition training programme have you experienced?

One the nicest guys I know is a proMMAer: he grew up with wrestling, learnt the whole of the wing chun system first, then fought Thai in Thailand, followed by Japan for jujutsu and submission wrestling. He's a humble nice guy, and supremely skilled. And I've met a lot of smug dismissive vehement TCMAers who accidentally wander onto the wrong board and start posting **** about things they know nothing about...! :p :D

uki
09-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Where on earth does all this vehemence come from? nature...

Most guys in MMA train very hard. It's no joke.i am not saying they do not train hard... but i believe their reasons for training hard are outta line.

You sound from your posts like you train hard (good for you) but you're always banging on to others on here about not having experienced your training so not being qualified to comment, yet how much of a serious MMA competition training programme have you experienced?i work hard, my entire day is a training day... but i train to be of service to others, not to win competitions and satisfy a false sense of accomplishment.

And I've met a lot of smug dismissive vehement TCMAers who accidentally wander onto the wrong board and start posting **** about things they know nothing about...! i wandered right to where i was supposed to go and i am posting the things that need to be posted... random chance of choice.

Vash
09-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Is it just me, or is this a twisting Blooming of the Lotus?

uki
09-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Is it just me, or is this a twisting Blooming of the Lotus?twisting up from under the mud... :)

Mr Punch
09-14-2008, 07:52 AM
... but i believe their reasons for training hard are outta line.
i work hard, my entire day is a training day... but i train to be of service to others, not to win competitions and satisfy a false sense of accomplishment.My friend and one-time teacher trains hard to test himself, to find and overcome his boundaries (which for those who aren't seeking enlightenment is as close as they want to or will get to it) and to make enough money to live off. He would like to change his job, but he can't do anything else... Is any of that out of line? Because I've met more people like him in MMA than people with delight in inflicting pain, with chips on their shoulders or egos to feed.

Mr Punch
09-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Is it just me, or is this a twisting Blooming of the Lotus?Nah.

Blooming Stinkweed?

uki
09-14-2008, 12:28 PM
mutinus elegans... not quite a stinkweed, but another fine and beautiful example of nature...

Mr Punch
09-15-2008, 06:41 AM
...is any of that out of line?...

uki
09-18-2008, 09:04 PM
My friend and one-time teacher trains hard to test himself, to find and overcome his boundaries (which for those who aren't seeking enlightenment is as close as they want to or will get to it) and to make enough money to live off. not seeking enlightenment is still wallowing in the mud of ignorance.

He would like to change his job, but he can't do anything else...i tend not to believe can't is a word... i am sure there are plenty of things to do.

Is any of that out of line? it's most likely just an excuse.

Because I've met more people like him in MMA than people with delight in inflicting pain, with chips on their shoulders or egos to feed.people in the MMA like you are describing probably have been mentally traumatized and their brain doesn't quite function as well as it used to... so beating on other guys seems like the best course of action because thats the last thing that happened before they lost their intellect... they got beat on and it made them more dumb than they already were for getting involved with the egotistical preschool sport called MMA.

lkfmdc
09-18-2008, 09:16 PM
just when I think the trolls here have hit rock bottom, there's always another one who is even more mentally challenged :rolleyes:

uki
09-19-2008, 03:50 AM
just when I think the trolls here have hit rock bottom, you think too much.

there's always another one who is even more mentally challenged.it's hard to take anyone too seriously who prides himself on recieving more complaints than any other member. interesting you are still curious what the troll has to say. :cool:

Vash
09-19-2008, 04:19 AM
Ait peeps, let's not have this degrade into pure trollisms, lest we have to start pruning posts.