PDA

View Full Version : Akira

GeneChing
02-26-2008, 12:47 PM
DiCaprio? I'm trying to visualize it as live action.

DiCaprio, Warner Bros. in for live-action 'Akira' (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i1afdf3970176b31535ab928b875958d1)
By Borys Kit
Feb 21, 2008
"Akira"
UPDATED 11:05 a.m. PT, Feb. 21, 2008

Anime classic "Akira" is getting the live-action big screen treatment courtesy of Leonardo DiCaprio and Warner Bros.

Ruairi Robinson has been hired to direct what would ideally be a two-part epic. Gary Whitta is writing the adaptation, which DiCaprio will produce via his Appian Way shingle. Andrew Lazar is also producing via his Mad Chance shingle. Jennifer Davisson, who heads up Appian, will also be involved in some producorial capacity.

"Akira" originated in 1988 as a manga and then as an animated film co-written and directed by Katsuhiro Otomo. The story was set in a neon-lit futuristic post-nuclear war "New Tokyo" in 2019 where a teen biker gang member is subjected to a government experiment which unleashes his latent powers. The gang's leader must find a way to stop the ensuing swathe of destruction.

With its mature themes and cutting-edge animation, "Akira" was a milestone movie in anime and even animation circles, and led the way for anime making inroads into Western pop culture in the 1990s.

"Akira" has long been in development at the company, with producers Jon Peters and Basil Iwanyk involved at various times, as well as directors Stephen Norrington and Pitof. The rights lapsed but Warner managed to re-scoop them again for Robinson, who came to the studio with a vision of a two-part adaptation.

The new story moves the action to "New Manhattan," a city rebuilt by Japanese money.

The studio is eyeing a summer 2009 release for the first movie.

Greg Silverman is overseeing for Warners. Otomo is executive producing. Legendary Pictures is co-financing.

Whitta, repped by UTA and Circle of Confusion, wrote "The Book of Eli," which the Hughes Brothers are directing for Warners and Silver Pictures.

"Akira" would mark the feature directorial debut for Robinson who was nominated for a best animated short Oscar in 2001 for a sci-fi comedy called "Fifty Percent Grey." He also wrote and directed a sci-fi short titled "The Silent City." Robinson is repped by CAA and 3 Arts Entertainment.

doug maverick
02-26-2008, 01:24 PM
the thing that shocks me about this whole thing, is that they are giving what will essentially be a 100 million dollar film to a first timne director. i smell hollywood bull**** going on.

HtownShaolinBum
02-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Well, I have read and reread the Akira comic books many many times and it is still the most well executed and well illustrated series of comics Ive laid eyes on. I have had superhero book readers give me crap about this, but then again, who in the hell still reads superhero books?

That being said, I have no desire to see this made into a film. The anime was awesome only because it took some very cool stuff from the books and animated it, quite well. Story wise though, it was crap and seemed like it was just a highlight reel of the awesome books.

This film will probably be really bad. I mean, they are going to have to do so much retarded reconfiguring of the story to 1. have it take place in america with all american actors and 2. have a hip-hap-happy crappo hollywood ending.

Leonardo Dicaprio? Someone please shoot me with a big Dirty Harry gun.

In the end I'll probably see it anyway, because I am a little biatch.

doug maverick
02-29-2008, 10:42 PM
dude your a hater. first dicaprio is producing the film he's not going to star in it. two its very easy to say your in new york instead of tokyo what do they have to change. i hate people like you (no offense) who right something off that they haven't even seen yet. wait to the film comes out before you run your jaw. the guy who is directing this film(oscar winner btw) has made some amazing short films. I think this film is going to be visually stunning, from the directors past work i can assume that. as for the actors we will see, i think casting is gonna make or break this film.

冠木侍
03-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Just looking at this thread...your two posts have two very different opinions about the movie. One 'seems' to make a negative commentary on the director's ability and the other praises his past work.

冠木侍
03-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Well, I have read and reread the Akira comic books many many times and it is still the most well executed and well illustrated series of comics Ive laid eyes on. I have had superhero book readers give me crap about this, but then again, who in the hell still reads superhero books?

That being said, I have no desire to see this made into a film. The anime was awesome only because it took some very cool stuff from the books and animated it, quite well. Story wise though, it was crap and seemed like it was just a highlight reel of the awesome books.

This film will probably be really bad. I mean, they are going to have to do so much retarded reconfiguring of the story to 1. have it take place in america with all american actors and 2. have a hip-hap-happy crappo hollywood ending.

Leonardo Dicaprio? Someone please shoot me with a big Dirty Harry gun.

In the end I'll probably see it anyway, because I am a little biatch.

The anime is still awesome. I too have some reservations about anime adaptations. Movies like Wicked City and Fist of the Northstar come to mind.

I was disappointed that it will take place in America instead of Japan...for Neo-Tokyo is THE backdrop for which we are familiar with. Plus, all the mystique about Japan and the people won't be showcased. I'm wonder if they will be able to pull it off. They would have to revamp the whole thing. Gosh...they need to change a bunch of stuff. I'm sure it is fair to say that it will be somewhat of an off-shoot of the original story.

Neo-Manhattan would be an interesting concept though.

At the very least, I hope they keep the music.

PS...if you want to talk about the anime, we can bring it over to the Martial Arts in Anime thread.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49294

doug maverick
03-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Just looking at this thread...your two posts have two very different opinions about the movie. One 'seems' to make a negative commentary on the director's ability and the other praises his past work.

all i said was they are giving a first time director a big budget film. then i did my research and saw some of his shorts including the one he won an oscar for and saw why? the reason why i said i smell hollywood bull**** is because he is also slated as the writer and hollywwod is notorious for getting a writer on board promising him to be the director of the film and then after he writes the script they drop him, do some rewrites and take his name off of it. happens all the time.

doug maverick
03-01-2008, 01:20 AM
The anime is still awesome. I too have some reservations about anime adaptations. Movies like Wicked City and Fist of the Northstar come to mind.

I was disappointed that it will take place in America instead of Japan...for Neo-Tokyo is THE backdrop for which we are familiar with. Plus, all the mystique about Japan and the people won't be showcased. I'm wonder if they will be able to pull it off. They would have to revamp the whole thing. Gosh...they need to change a bunch of stuff. I'm sure it is fair to say that it will be somewhat of an off-shoot of the original story.

Neo-Manhattan would be an interesting concept though.

At the very least, I hope they keep the music.

PS...if you want to talk about the anime, we can bring it over to the Martial Arts in Anime thread.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49294
yeah this should go over to the martial arts in anime thread.

冠木侍
03-01-2008, 09:28 PM
yeah this should go over to the martial arts in anime thread.

The discussion about the adaptation could stay here. But it is difficult because there are and will be comparisons to the anime. The news of the new film has changed the rules of engagement...seemingly.

That's probably why Gene started it's own thread and didn't lump it with the other one.

Anyone else have any thoughts about the upcoming film adaptation?

HOKPAIWES
03-02-2008, 06:52 AM
I can't wait to see it, hot girls running around dressed in cosplay.. I'd buy a ticket.:D

Jimbo
03-02-2008, 10:33 PM
I feel if they do adapt it into an American movie, good luck to them. What made Akira so great, to me, was the level of complexity of the animation/effects, which are still incredible now, 20 years later. Sure, they'll simply CGI it now, but can it compare? I guess we'll have to see.
But the version I have is the old VHS English-language version. The English dubbing was awful; maybe someday I'll buy the original-language DVD.

doug maverick
03-02-2008, 11:50 PM
I feel if they do adapt it into an American movie, good luck to them. What made Akira so great, to me, was the level of complexity of the animation/effects, which are still incredible now, 20 years later. Sure, they'll simply CGI it now, but can it compare? I guess we'll have to see.
But the version I have is the old VHS English-language version. The English dubbing was awful; maybe someday I'll buy the original-language DVD.

what alot of people don't understand is that when its done right CGI can truly enhance a film. i mean look at star wars. horrible peice of monkey trash yes. but flawless cgi. samething with sin city, i could name quite a few film that are just as good. like i said this will be a budget between 60-100 million dollar film.

冠木侍
03-03-2008, 01:50 PM

Go get the dvd Jimbo.

The animation quality is one of the best examples of traditional cel animation. The quality was great compared to anime made during the same time and those made later on. And yes, it still holds up today.

CGI would not necessarily make it a good film. A lot of special effects won't cut it if they change the story or anything that would disagree with fans of the original. I hope it will be a faithful adaptation using the manga and the anime.

Still though...."New Manhattan." I don't know how that will turn out. I need to see some type of trailer later on to make a more accurate assessment.

Shaolinlueb
05-13-2008, 09:41 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1134795/

woah!

ShaolinWood
05-21-2008, 06:00 AM
aaaah man, there goes my favourite movie...
Leo Dicaprio?!?!?! How can "AKIRA" be made in America??????

I'm sorry but there is no way this is going to live up to Otomo's film, they will try and "CG" the cr@p out of it and create another Transformer or whatever the latest comic/game/anime-based movie is...

Lucas
05-22-2008, 10:02 AM
aaaah man, there goes my favourite movie...
Leo Dicaprio?!?!?! How can "AKIRA" be made in America??????

I'm sorry but there is no way this is going to live up to Otomo's film, they will try and "CG" the cr@p out of it and create another Transformer or whatever the latest comic/game/anime-based movie is...

Yeah no kidding. As soon as I saw the title I was hopeful. The moment I saw leotardo decrapios name, I knew this movie was going to suck big time.

why do people choose to take something that is wonderful and try to ruin it?

at least have, oh i dunno, Japanese people playing Japanese people.

I fail to see how leo is Japanese.....

Shaolinlueb
05-22-2008, 10:58 AM
it probably wont be japanese set. probably in L.A. or something.

leo is a great actor. i hated him cause of titanic, but i saw blood diamond and the departed and he is a good actor.

they dont need to voerload it with cg.
but yeah leo is not japanese.

rumors are leonardo dicaprio is only producing.

i was looking at how can akira be white? akira wasnt the main character, akira was the kid they experimented on, and was long dead. and that they can use a japanese actor for. some people are so dumb.

Lucas
05-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Its apparent leo isnt japanese......duh

the point i was getting to, similar to speed racer, is the fact that hollywood is continually taking movies that should have FULL japanese casts, as well as other ethnicities and loading them up with WHITEY.

its really really annoying, and also a big slap in the face.

there are plenty of asian actors out there who could use the work and act well.

ya, speed racer looks cool but im not paying hollywood a dime for that ****e

Lucas
05-22-2008, 01:18 PM
it probably wont be japanese set. probably in L.A. or something.

leo is a great actor. i hated him cause of titanic, but i saw blood diamond and the departed and he is a good actor.

they dont need to voerload it with cg.
but yeah leo is not japanese.

rumors are leonardo dicaprio is only producing.

i was looking at how can akira be white? akira wasnt the main character, akira was the kid they experimented on, and was long dead. and that they can use a japanese actor for. some people are so dumb.

and you are right, some people are so dumb. leo playing any lead role, which is likely the case, would be portraying a JAPANEASE person....duh

we all know WHO akira was....

sure leo is a good actor, but not any better than millions of others out there. hes just popular. thats how it works.

ShaolinWood
05-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Yea I agree, Leo is a great actor, I have no beef with the leotard.

My issue is that the idiots in Hollywood will take this film that is very much an underground JAPANESE (to the bone) film/manga and "Americanise" it, same as every other "Block-buster" cr@p they push out. Throw in a load of witty jokes, too much "awesome CG effects" and maybe even a soundtrack by some MTV pop "teen-rock" band.

What made Akira so awesome is the fact that it's art. It was all done by one man. Katsuhiro Otomo. He did the manga by himself, and directed and did all the key drawings for the film. He even directed the recording of the music. It's all his idea. There is no board of directors and "award-winning" team of directors involved. It's personal and you can feel his personal touch.

I have no doubts that this film will hurt the Akira name and that makes me sad.

GeneChing
11-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Zac. :rolleyes:

Zac Efron 'to play lead in Akira remake' (http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/nov/08/zac-efron-akira-shotaro-kaneda)
High School Musical star Zac Efron lined up to play Shotaro Kaneda in Hollywood version of classic Japanese anime based on manga comic, reports say

Akria and Zac Efron Zac Efron is being lined up to play Shotaro Kaneda in Hollywood's take on anime

He is the blue-eyed star of the High School Musical series and dream date for teenage girls across the globe. It is a classic cult Japanese anime and manga comic which maintains a heady reputation among fans of the genres more than 20 years after its initial release. Now, according to reports in the blogosphere, the terms Zac Efron and Akira may become forever connected after the actor was touted to star in a planned Hollywood remake.

In what would be one of the strangest casting decisions of all time, Efron is reportedly in line for the leading role of Shotaro Kaneda in Warner Bros's live-action English language version, according to both the Bloody Disgusting and Slash Film blogs. The project is being lined up as a two-part adaptation, with From Hell's Hughes brothers set to direct. Bloody Disgusting also reports that Morgan Freeman has been offered the role of The Colonel, the head of a sinister government project in the original film and comic book series.

Akira was originally a 2,182-page manga epic which was adapted by director Katsuhiro Otomo into a two-hour film. Despite its complex, densely packed storyline, it has gained huge popularity over time since its release and helped to fuel the growth of anime's popularity outside of Japan.

The Hollywood version would presumably transport the action from the original's Japanese setting to a US location. In Otomo's film, the action takes place in Neo-Tokyo, a city built on an artificial island in Tokyo bay following the destruction of the original Tokyo in an explosion 30 years previously. Akira is the name of a young boy whose powers led to the disaster. Kaneda, the role apparently snapped up by Efron, is a biker and gang leader who discovers that his childhood friend Tetsuo is developing similar destructive powers.

Efron has somewhat hedged his bets since the most recent High School Musical film, High School Musical 3: Senior Year, which appeared in 2008. He has appeared in teen-friendly fare such as 17 Again and the recent The Life and Death of Charlie St Cloud, and also more adult-oriented movies such as Me and Orson Welles.

Lucas
11-10-2010, 10:33 AM
i really hate hollywood sometimes.

doug maverick
11-10-2010, 12:07 PM
leo was never slated to star in this picture. his company bought the rights to the film to produce it. i personally think zack is a good choice, the guy has been impressing me in his film choices, and has shown that he has range. im not a fan boy, so i dont get my panties in a bunch about things, especially comic book adaptations. i like to see filmmakers interpretation of things. this story has been hanging around for almost twenty years and nobody has thought about turning it into a live action film till now. unfortunately their arent many young famous japanese stars in the US. so you have to go with whats available. my point is judge the film when it comes out. dont be a bunchy whiney little fan boys.geeze, and this is coming from someone who saw the film when it came out in japan, with my late dad who was stationed there at the time, so akira has a special place in my heart.

@PLUGO
11-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Bloody Disgusting (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/22341) say Morgan Freeman is circling the role of The Colonel.

Morgan Freeman (Seven) is circling the role of the Colonel in the Manga adaptation shooting next year. "Akira"

Will they give him a buzz cut for it? I imagined someone a bit more imposing, can he pull off laid back menace?

I wonder if they'll get Danny Devito or Jon Lovitz to play Mr. Nezu.

doug maverick
11-10-2010, 04:55 PM
you ever see morgan freeman in dreamcatcher? total badass...when you have someone of his calabre there is nothing he cant pull off..

Jimbo
11-11-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm not opposed to an American live-action version. I only wish they would change the character's name to a European name, because Zac Efron, as mentioned, is clearly not Japanese, and not even Asian. It's long overdue to stop using makeup and funny accents to try to make white people seem Asian on film. They don't put white stars in blackface to play black characters anymore; the closest to that was last year or so, with Robert Downey Jr., and that was a comedy). Change the entire title name, character names, and the location to in the U.S, as was done with Infernal Affairs/The Departed, and Ringu/The Ring.

Though if Zac Efron's in it, it'll be a monster hit because of the teens/tweens/cougars, most of whom have no idea nor care about the original Akira. It'll make lots more money than if they put effort into discovering an actual Japanese or Japanese-American young guy with looks and acting chops to appeal to U.S. audiences. After all, Zac was discovered at one time too, right?? I would say Kane Kosugi, but in his 30s, he's way too old for the role. But yeah, even so, it would be a very hard sell for American audiences to accept a Japanese in a lead role in a U.S. film.

doug maverick
11-11-2010, 06:46 PM
yeah i dont think the character is gonna have a japanese name, but the name kaneda while japanese could be a nick name..(i actually had a kid in my class who was african and his name was kaneda). yea the film will be a beast zac efron, morgan freeman, i wonder who else is gonna fill out the cast. if they do this right(which i actually think they will, i have a gut feeling about this) the hughs bros. will be the go to guys for all things anime. warners originally thought it was gonna be the wachowskis but after speed racer, who knows where they stand.

@PLUGO
11-12-2010, 04:18 PM
The Hughs Bros have always been pretty good with juvenile delinquents as subject matter.

Looks like Zac is a no-go

“Zac Efron is entertaining offers to star as gang leader Shotaro Kaneda in a film based on the manga comic Akira,” writes Perez Hilton, who adds, ”Oh geez. This may be the only thing worse for him than that facial hair!”

He then writes, “The project sounds inneresting, but we’re not sure if it’s the best fit for Zac.”

No need to worry (http://www.gossipcop.com/zac-efron-akira-hughes-brothers/).

Though the story was picked up all over, a rep for the Hughes Brothers, who are directing the live action film, tells Gossip Cop that rumors about Efron starring in Akira are “not true.”

doug maverick
11-12-2010, 10:05 PM
for some reason i couldnt see them going with efron anyway...these are the hughes bros. and DS is right they are really good with that stuff. dead presidents is still one of my favorite crime caper films. hmmm.....you know what ill say it and just take the heat, i think taylor lautner would make a great kaneda(im ready for the heat, dude can do his own stunts and has that asiatic look) i would also cast sung kang(han from tokyo drift) as an alternative for kaneda. i see aaron yoo(disturbia, the wackness) as the perfect tetsuo. i would also cast hip hop impresario Drake(dont hate the guy was actually a half way decent actor before switching to music). anyway this is just my not so humble opinion.lol, i think i def want to see a mixed bag cast. not freaking some white washed movie. unlike m.night the hughes arent going to try and make a safe cookie cutter movie, they are going for edgey and will try to go as far as they could. that being said there isnt that much of a selection when it comes to good actors and actresses in young hollywood. so hopefully they choose wisely. also warners is pouring in 100+million in this movie. so casting someone like lautner will go a long way to getting what you want as a filmmaker. gotta lure the studio into false belief that you play ball lol.

GeneChing
03-23-2011, 04:26 PM
'Akira' Focuses On Short List Of Actors After Getting Steve Kloves Rewrite (http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/akira-focuses-on-short-list-of-actors-after-getting-steve-kloves-rewrite/)
By MIKE FLEMING | Monday March 21, 2011 @ 11:04pm EDT

EXCLUSIVE: The script for the Warner Bros/Legendary Pictures live action adaptation of anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo’s 6-volume graphic novel Akira has been sent to a short list of actors. The picture is finally taking shape for an August start, following the delivery of a rewrite by Steve Kloves that has director Albert Hughes and the studio brass excited. The story takes place in the rebuilt New Manhattan where a leader of a biker gang saves his friend from a medical experiment. There are two major roles, and I'm told that for Tetsuo, Robert Pattinson, Andrew Garfield and James McAvoy have been given the new script. For the role of Kaneda, the script has been given to Garrett Hedlund, Michael Fassbender, Chris Pine, Justin Timberlake and Joaquin Phoenix. The two leads are expected to come from that group of actors.

Andrew Lazar is producing with Appian Way’s Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson Killoran. Akira has been one of Warner Bros' high priority projects since the studio with Legendary Pictures acquired it for a 7-figure sum 2 years ago from manga publisher Kodansha. The intention has been to make 2 films, each covering 3 books in the series. Akira was first adapted for the screen in 1988.
This is starting to feel a lot like Airbender (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46683). :(

doug maverick
03-23-2011, 04:37 PM
nah, i doubt it will be that bad. the film will ofcourse be americanized people got to understand that when making a western film(even if its based on an anime) they are ofcourse gonna use actors known all over the world. nobody is gonna sink 100+ million in a film filled with nobodies. for a anime that the general public at large doesnt know. its just simple math. i think that the hugh's bros. will do a good job of delivering a greedy as hell story. warners isnt fox, but hollywood will always white wash and gentrify anything. but blame the audience not the studio. the studio are trying to appease there share holders but creating tentpoles. warners is one of the very few studios who still does non tent pole films, but with batman, and harry potter coming to a close they are in a race to have at least two successful tentpole films set up. so far superman seems like it might do it. and this might be the next one. lets just hope they turn out a good story.

i use to always blame studios cause really they are at least 90% at fault for most screw ups when it comes to any kind of films. but they screw up cause they have all these focus groups and test screenings and its filled with fat white people in middle america who dont know akira from dragon ball. and dont want to see movies that are predominately asian or any other non white race. there are ofcourse, anomalies especially in the case of comedy. its a sucky sucky biz. but somebodies gotta do it.

JamesC
03-24-2011, 03:55 AM
I hope it's as good as the Dragonball movie... :D

doug maverick
03-24-2011, 09:10 AM
I hope it's as good as the Dragonball movie... :D

well there is a stark difference, between those two animes. akira is conceivably a very good sci fi movie, it just so happened to be animated. dragon ball is super outlandish and can only work in cartoon form. i remember even japanese tried and failed to make a live action version.

Lucas
03-24-2011, 09:16 AM
i will be very sad if Akira gets messed up when converted...it is a very iconic anime to me. one of the very best ever made.

JamesC
03-24-2011, 10:14 AM
well there is a stark difference, between those two animes. akira is conceivably a very good sci fi movie, it just so happened to be animated. dragon ball is super outlandish and can only work in cartoon form. i remember even japanese tried and failed to make a live action version.

I know, I was just being a smart a$s, lol. :D

i will be very sad if Akira gets messed up when converted...it is a very iconic anime to me. one of the very best ever made.

I feel the same way, but I don't hold out much hope for it. It isn't very often that movies get to stick to their source material exactly. Most of the time the directors say it is because it just wouldn't translate as well in a live-action movie.

Like you said in your previous post, it is more likely all about the benjamins. Which makes me sad. I wish that sometimes directors could just stick to their guns and realize that fans will thank them for it.

GeneChing
05-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Keanu Reeves Passes on ‘Akira’ And Other Updates (http://www.slashfilm.com/keanu-reeves-passes-akira-updates/)
Posted on Tuesday, May 17th, 2011 by Germain Lussier

Neo won’t be Kaneda. JoBlo has exclusively learned that Keanu Reeves, who was offered the starring role in Warner Bros. Albert Hughes-directed, live action remake of Akira, has passed. They’ve also learned that Warners has shut down and fired much of a pre-visualization department that was working on the film. Does this mean Akira is dead? Not quite. Read more after the jump.

JoBlo exclusively confirmed with Reeves’ reps that the actor has passed on the role, much as Brad Pitt, James Franco and Ryan Gosling before him. In their reporting they also learned that Warner Bros. shut down a pre-viz department that was working on the film. Losing yet another major star plus stopping work on a film might seem like a nail in the coffin but, it’s merely a minor setback. Here’s the statement issued by Warner Bros.

Production on Akira has not halted or been shut down, as the film has not yet been greenlit and is still very much in the development stage. The exploratory process is crucial to a project of this magnitude, and we will continue to sculpt our approach to making the best possible film.

We recently reported that screenwriter Steve Kloves came on to rewrite the film as well as rumors that the studio was frightened of a budget in the neighborhood of $140 million. Well, it seems as if the pre-viz firing and loss of Reeves will only result in a tightening, and possible shrinking, of the script. And that’s a good thing. Akira is one of the most beloved and classic animated films of all time and, with its epic scope and downer story, the more work that happens before (or if) the film gets greenlit, the better.

For more info on the inner working behind Akira and its interesting parallels to Alfonso Cuaron’s Gravity, head back over to JoBlo.

Do you think this Akira remake will ever happen? And if so, could it actually be a hit for the studio?I think it will be hard to live up to the anime. That was such a classic - one of the first anime flicks to really blow me away. Of course, I saw it when it came out back in the late '80s, so it might seem really dated now. I haven't checked in with it since. Anyone seen it recently?

doug maverick
05-18-2011, 03:01 PM
I think it will be hard to live up to the anime. That was such a classic - one of the first anime flicks to really blow me away. Of course, I saw it when it came out back in the late '80s, so it might seem really dated now. I haven't checked in with it since. Anyone seen it recently?

its not dated at all. thats the amazing part of akira. the animation still hold up.

GeneChing
07-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Jaume Collet-Serra Tapped to Direct 'Akira' for Warner Bros. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jaume-collet-serra-tapped-direct-211369)
Leonardo DiCaprio is producing the project, which has a script by "Harry Potter" scribe Steve Kloves.
5:44 PM 7/14/2011 by Jay A. Fernandez

Jaume Collet-Serra has been tapped to take on Warner Bros.' adaptation of Akira. The anime property has been in development with a succession of writers and directors since WB grabbed the rights in 2008, but now the Spanish Unknown director has the helm for the live-action film version.

Harry Potter adapter Steve Kloves has written the most recent draft of the screenplay, which is designed to turn Katsuhiro Otomo's classic graphic novel into a tentpole with a mid-level budget along the lines of WB's Clash of the Titans.

Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson Killoran of Appian Way are producing with Andrew Lazar of Mad Chance.

The CAA-repped Collet-Serra has directed the films House of Wax, Goal II: Living the Dream, Orphan and Unknown, which grossed $131 million worldwide earlier this year.Anyone see any of these films

GeneChing
10-21-2011, 04:34 PM
EXCLUSIVE
Posted: Wed., Oct. 19, 2011, 6:37pm PT
Warners greenlights 'Akira'; Hedlund front-runner (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118044771)
Live-action tentpole gets the go-ahead
By Justin Kroll

Warner Bros. has greenlit its live-action remake of the anime cult hit "Akira" for a late February/early March start, sources tell Variety.

In July, Warners tapped Spanish helmer Jaume Collet-Serra ("Unknown" ) to direct at a budget of $90 million, which was brought down from an initial figure of well over $100 million. Where the budget stands now isn't clear, and Warner Bros. had no comment on the project.

With a greenlight in place, studio can begin shopping for the two male leads; sources tell Variety that "Tron: Legacy" star Garrett Hedlund is considered a front-runner. Both Warners and Collett-Sera have been keen on the thesp, but had to wait for a greenlight to make their move.

Though no offer's been made, insiders say an offer could come soon.

"Akira," long in development at the studio, has hit several speedbumps over the last several months, including Albert Hughes falling out as director. Collet-Serra was brought on quickly, but working out the budget took about two months, with studio and creative execs meeting last week before the decision was sealed over the weekend.

Appian Way's Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson Killoran are producing with Mad Chance's Andrew Lazar. It's another big win for Appian Way, which just secrured "Cloverfield" director Matt Reeves to helm its "Twilight Zone" pic at Warners.

WB acquired the potential tentpole project for a seven-figure sum from Japanese manga publisher Kodansha in 2008. Set in New Manhattan, the cyberpunk sci-fi epic follows the leader of a biker gang who must save his friend, discovered with potentially destructive psychokinetic abilities, from government medical experiments.

Katsuhiro Otomo, who wrote and directed the 1988 Japanese anime pic of the same name, will exec produce "Akira."
With the special effects today, and $90 mill, they could surely pull this off, but I still doubt it'll beat the vision of the original anime.

GeneChing
11-08-2011, 10:26 AM
And he's doing On the Road too? This so doesn't work for me.

Garrett Hedlund Formally Offered Lead In AKIRA (http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/11/garrett-hedlund-formally-offered-lead-in-akira.php)
by Todd Brown, November 3, 2011 11:39 AM

It seems that virtually from the day that Warner Brothers greenlit the US, live action version of Akira rumors have been circulating that Tron Legacy star Garrett Hedlund was director Jaume Collet-Serra's choice to take the lead role of Kaneda. It seems that the powers that be at WB now agree, as Twitch has learned that Hedlund has just received a formal offer to take the part.

Though best known for his part in Tron Hedlund's past roles are actually quite diverse, including stints in genre fare (Death Sentence), romcoms (Georgia Rule), kid friendly fantasy (Eragon), and straight up drama both mainstream (Friday Night Lights) and indie, with Hedlund headlining Walter Salles' upcoming Jack Kerouac adaptation On The Road.

Put Hedlund next to Gary Oldman and Helena Bonham Carter - who have both been offered key support parts - and it's clear that the producers are looking to fill the cast with recognizable names who are also actors with solid dramatic abilities, which is certainly preferable to many approaches. The curious part, however, is retaining the Japanese names despite shifting the setting to New York and the so-far all Caucasian cast.

akira
By Meredith Woerner
Nov 3, 2011 12:49 PM
Garrett Hedlund offered lead role in Akira. Crap. (http://io9.com/5856168/the-worst-has-happened-garrett-hedlund-officially-offerred-lead-role-in-akira)

Here's some horrible news coming straight from the Hollywood adaptation of Akira. Garrett Hedlund has reportedly been offered the role of Kaneda. Now we can trade in our fears about whitewashing for a new set of worries about the world's blandest Kaneda to ever ride a Huffy into a futuristic McDonalds.

Twitch Film is reporting what we've all been dreading. Back when Warner Bros. greenlit their Americanized Akira movie everyone was buzzing that Tron Legacy star Hedlund was the lead contender for the role of Kaneda. Now it seems he's been offered the part. Gah.

Listen, we don't have anything really against Hedlund, he's nice to look at on screen and his acting certainly wasn't the only reason Tron Legacy failed so dreadfully. But come on, Hollywood, this is just boring. Can we at least consider an Asian actor, just one? And are we really going to call this guy Kaneda? Or are you going to Americanize all the Japanese names as well? Will Shotaro Kaneda be turned into Kenny, and Tetsuo Shima into Timmy?

On the (sorta) plus side both Gary Oldman and Helena Bonham Carter have been offered roles in the adaptation, so that's two castmembers we can rely on to deliver the goods. The movie, which is based off of the manga series by Katsuhiro Otomo, will now be set in Neo-New York (instead of Neo-Tokyo). It will still be set in the future and follow a motorcycle gang, a secret military project and psionic psychopath powers. It's really pretty awesome and you should watch the 1988 film if you ever get the chance.

doug maverick
11-16-2011, 11:14 AM
im done with this....kristen stewart as kei....yea my interest is gone.

GeneChing
12-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Auditions for Akira (http://www.acting-auditions.org/2011/11/casting-now-underway-for-leo-dicaprio.html)

Noteworthy from the audition call above:

Starring:
Kristen Stewart as Ky
Garret Hedlund as Kaneda
Helena Bonham-Carter as Lady Miyako
Ken Watanabe as The Colonel

Story:
Kaneda (Garret Hedlund) is a bar owner in Neo-Manhattan who is stunned when his brother, Tetsuo, is abducted by government agents led by The Colonel (Ken Watanabe). Desperate to get his brother back, Kaneda agrees to join with Ky Reed (Kristen Stewart) and her underground movement who are intent on revealing to the world what truly happened to New York City thirty years ago when it was destroyed. Kaneda believes their theories to be ludicrous but after finding his brother again, is shocked when he displays telekinetic powers. Ky believes Tetsuo is headed to release a young boy, Akira, who has taken control of Tetsuo's mind. Kaneda clashes with The Colonel's troops on his way to stop Tetsuo from releasing Akira but arrives too late. Akira soon emerges from his prison courtesy of Tetsuo as Kaneda races in to save his brother before Akira once again destroys Manhattan island, as he did thirty years ago.Hmm, that's not quite how I remember it...:rolleyes:

doug maverick
12-05-2011, 10:44 AM
if i had even the most remote taste for acting i would...but my life lies behind the camera...its where im most comfortable..also wear i make the most $$$ lol.

BakShaolinEC
12-06-2011, 10:09 AM

hey, hong kong made, legend of the dragon pearl was amazing.

BakShaolinEC
12-06-2011, 10:16 AM
didn't they say this was going to follow the manga more closely then the anime? the anime got released before they finished the manga. when i read the manga i wa amazed at how much more awesome it was then the movie.

i hate Kristen Stewart as an actress. but if you think about it ky was kinda of blank during the movie and had 1 look on her face the whole time too. so maybe its not that bad of a choice.

GeneChing
01-06-2012, 10:49 AM
So much for that...

'Akira' Production Offices Shut Down As Warner Bros. Scrutinizes Budget (Exclusive) (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/akira-production-shut-down-budget-warner-bros-278729)
UPDATED: The production offices in Vancouver are being closed, with below-the-line talent and crew told to stop working. “Everybody is being sent home,” according to an insider.
11:17 AM PST 1/5/2012 by Borys Kit

Warner Bros is pushing the pause button on Akira.

The project, which has been through several incarnations, is being shut down in the face of casting, script and budget issues. The production offices in Vancouver are being closed, with below-the-line talent and crew told to stop working. “Everybody is being sent home,” according to an insider.

Producers, who include Appian Way’s Jennifer Kiloran Davisson and Mad Chance’s Andrew Lazar, will hunker down with director Jaume Collet-Serra for the next two weeks to iron out the script. It is unclear if Harry Potter scribe Steve Kloves, who did a pricey rewrite on the project a year ago, will be brought in to help out.

If the issues cannot be resolved, the project could end up being shelved entirely, say insiders.

Collet-Serra already had halved the budget from the incarnation that Albert Hughes was going to direct. He now is working on a budget in the $90 million range. But with only Garrett Hedlund (Tron: Legacy) signed on to star, and Kristen Stewart, Ken Watanabe and Helena Bonham Carter in various stages of dealmaking, the studio feels that the price tag is still too high for a sci-fi project with that level of star wattage. The goal, says an insider, is to bring the budget down to between $60 million and $70 million. However, another source close to the production says the script, rather than the budget, has skidded the production. The project, this person says, will remain in the $90 million range.

An adaptation of the classic Japanese manga, Akira is an Americanized story set in a postapocalyptic New Manhattan, where a motorcycle gang leader (Hedlund) must stop his brother and fellow gang member from abusing his newly acquired telekinetic powers.

Akira already has “died” three times only to rise phoenix-like from the ashes. Ruairi Robinson and Hughes were previously deep into the project as directors before dropping off. Collet-Serra got the project green-lighted and has come the closest to going before cameras.

This isn't the only Warner Bros. project whose budget is being scrutinized. Arthur and Lancelot, the period fantasy being directed by David Dobkin, also has come under increased budget pressure.

Sources close to the project say Akira isn't dead yet. “It’s a very resilient movie,” says one insider. “Warner Bros. just won’t let it die.”

Warner Bros. declined comment.

Email: Borys.Kit@thr.com
Twitter: @Borys_Kit
...for now.... :eek:

GeneChing
08-22-2012, 09:10 AM
www.akira-project.com (http://www.akira-project.com)

GeneChing
02-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Exclusive: Director Jaume Collet-Serra Dishes His Vision for Akira (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=114669)
Source: Max Evry
February 10, 2014

http://comingsoon.net/nextraimages/akiradirectorexcl3.jpg

At the press junket for his latest Liam Neeson action vehicle Non-Stop--the second after Unknown and before next year's Run All Night--director Jaume Collet-Serra gave us the skinny on his much-buzzed-about remake of Akira for Warner Bros. In 2011 he was all set to helm the live-action adaptation of Katsuhiro Otomo's beloved manga and cult 1988 anime, with Garrett Hedlund in the frame as biker gang leader Kaneda, before the studio decided $90 million was too big a gamble for an admittedly oddball project with subversive political undertones and heady sci-fi concepts galore.

A year after dropping out, Collet-Serra got back on the Akira bandwagon and is currently pursuing a more scaled-down version that will allow audiences a passport into Otomo's futuristic cyberpunk world while setting the stage for sequels. He talked to us exclusively in New York about his philosophical approach to the material, and even made some (no-doubt controversial) statements on the characters. He clearly respects the material, but is definitely not approaching this from a wholly reverent place…

ComingSoon.net: When you were working on "Akira"…

Collet-Serra: I'm still working on "Akira," so that's part of my life. (laughs)

CS: That's great that you're sticking with it despite the bumps in the road.

Collet-Serra: It's great that they're waiting for me. It's different, because you have to be respectful of the source material. Otomo adapted his own work from a manga into an anime and both things are completely different and genius. The only way to do a live version of "Akira" is to take the spirit and adapt it. It will be as different as the anime was from the manga.

CS: What worries myself and a lot of the other fans of the property is you have elements that are commercial and sexy, like the motorbikes or the jaw-dropping futuristic backdrop, but for the most part it's a very cerebral work. How do you maintain the essence of that without diluting it into essentially "Blade Runner: Mark 2"?

Collet-Serra: I think you cannot make a movie about "Akira" and hope that everyone understands it. Like everything else, you have to make three or four movies in one where there's the essence somewhere. If you're a fan, you already know what it's about and you'll see it's part of the same world, but trying to oversimplify it would be a mistake. I think if at some point a character tries to explain it to the audience at the end of the second act, that's a problem. It's more like an existential opera. It's something that can only be explained in the manga, and even in the anime it's hard to follow.

CS: And we all have that original anime, it's there, nothing can sully it, so if you were going to do it in live-action one would hope you would bring something new to the table. What is it you are bringing specifically that is going to make it yours?

Collet-Serra: I hope that I can bring strong characters. In the original source material, I don't think the main characters are the protagonists. What I'm hoping is to bring characters.

CS: That's true. It's one of those strange stories where you literally never see the main character that is the namesake of the film!

Collet-Serra: Nobody's interesting. Tetsuo's interesting because weird sh*t happens to him, and Kaneda is so two-dimensional. That's part of the Japanese culture, they never have strong characters. They're used as a way to move the other philosophy forward.

CS: They're ciphers.

Collet-Serra: Yeah. So hopefully in my version that will be strong, and you'll have a story that happens in that world that will show you a little bit of the mystery. Then, if you're interested, they'll make "Akira 2 & 3" then you can get deeper into it. I love the world, a lot of people love that world, so why wouldn't we indulge in it a little bit and see how it would be if it was real? Like you say I don't have to explain everything, but wouldn't you like to spend two-hours in a world of "Akira" and follow a character and be like, "that's cool"? That's all I want to offer, is two-hours in a world you can actually feel. We're working on it.

Non-Stop opens in theaters on February 28. Look for our full interviews with Jaume Collet-Serra and producer Joel Silver soon!
I wouldn't say Japanese culture never has strong characters. Just look at samurai flicks. Maybe anime doesn't have strong characters...:rolleyes:

Jimbo
02-12-2014, 09:56 AM
That was an extremely stupid statement to say that Japanese never have strong characters, and that it's 'part of the culture'. How many Japanese movies has that doofus actually watched?

GeneChing
02-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Over lunch, I was thinking of all the great characters in the other Akira's work, Akira Kurosawa - not just the complex ronin that Toshiro Mifune played, but also the great characters in Dersu Uzala, Dodes'ka-den, or Ikiru.

It doesn't instill a lot of faith in this Akira project.

It does give me the chance to drop my fav Sochi (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67060-2014-Winter-Olympics-in-Sochi&p=1261535#post1261535) meme, which I've been wanting to do all week.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19f5u6po2nj38gif/ku-xlarge.gif

GeneChing
02-14-2014, 09:34 AM
I only cut&pasted the Akira stuff. You'll have to follow the link if you want the Oblivion & Ender's Game stuff.

Concept Art Of WB's Defunct AKIRA Live-Action Remake, OBLIVION & ENDER'S GAME (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=94245)
Conceptual illustrator James Clyne ("Avatar"), has updated his website with artwork that he created for Oblivion, Ender's Game, and Warner Bros. never-produced live-action remake of Akira.
By nailbiter111 - 2/8/2014

http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/20773/akirabannerbike.jpg
In 2002, Warner Bros. acquired rights to make a live-action remake of Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira. Plans for it didn't start to really materialize until 2008. That is when Irish short film director Ruairi Robinson ("The Last Days on Mars") was brought on board to direct. At that time, the script was being written by Gary Whitta ("The Book of Eli"), and Leonardo DiCaprio would've been one of the producers. Of course things fell apart and the project would end up in two other directors hands (Albert Hughes and Jaume Collet-Serra) before WB finally pulled the plug on it in 2012. Below, you will find several pieces of concept art that conceptual illustrator James Clyne created for Robinson's version of Akira. You'll also find some artwork that Clyne created for Tom Cruise's Oblivion and Gavin Hood's Ender's Game.

AKIRA Concept Art By James Clyne
http://www.jamesclyne.com/images_gallery/showdown01jc2copy_689.jpg
http://www.jamesclyne.com/images_gallery/standoff06akira_979.jpg
http://www.jamesclyne.com/images_gallery/travis02jc2_21.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UhLderbuGI

@PLUGO
05-12-2014, 04:16 PM
http://youtu.be/t1GO-93Nt3c

GeneChing
06-11-2015, 09:44 AM
June 08, 2015 4:21pm PT by Borys Kit
'Daredevil' Showrunner to Write 'Akira' Adaptation for Warner Bros. (Exclusive) (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/daredevil-showrunner-write-akira-adaptation-799880)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/NFE_portrait/2015/06/akira_manga_cover.jpg
Courtesy of Kodansha Comics
Marco J. Ramirez, the 'Sons of Anarchy' scribe who will oversee the second season of 'Daredevil,' will adapt the manga classic.

Warner Bros. is revving up the engines again for Akira.

Marco J. Ramirez, the scribe who will be co-showrunning the second season of Netflix’s Daredevil, will write Akira, the Warner Bros. long-in-the-works adaptation of the Japanese manga classic.

Andrew Lazar (American Sniper) and Leonardo DiCaprio’s shingle Appian Way are producing the adaptation, which has faced plenty of ups and downs since Warners acquired the rights to the manga in 2008. While numerous writers, directors and stars darted to and from the project, the closest it came to getting made was in 2012 when Garrett Hedlund, Kristen Stewart, Ken Watanabe and Helena Bonham Carter were in various stages of dealmaking.

Jaume Collet-Serra was to direct when the plug was pulled and the Vancouver facilities closed due to casting, script and budget issues.

The original manga, which ran throughout the 1980s, was set in a post-nuclear apocalypse of Neo-Tokyo and told of two brothers, both in biker gangs, who find themselves pitted against each other when one begins abusing his newly acquired telekinetic powers.

Ramirez, repped by UTA, cut his teeth on shows such as Sons of Anarchy and Da Vinci’s Demons (on which he also was producer) before writing episodes for Daredevil’s first season. From there, he graduated to run the second season with Doug Petrie, taking over from Steven DeKnight.

Drew Crevello and Nik Mavinkurve are overseeing Akira for Warners.

I bet they could find a good role for Emma Stone (http://thesource.com/2015/06/08/cameron-crowe-apologizes-and-explains-casting-emma-stone-in-aloha/) in this. ;)

GeneChing
07-07-2015, 10:21 AM
Okay now this Hollywood remake would totally work for me. :p

https://vimeo.com/132616598

GeneChing
09-17-2015, 10:36 AM
Christopher Nolan Finds Himself At the Center of the Biggest Akira Movie Rumor Yet (http://io9.com/christopher-nolan-finds-himself-at-the-center-of-the-bi-1730661168)
Germain Lussier
Filed to: Akira 9/14/15 5:30pm

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--g1i0uQKf--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1430759992923017794.jpg

Warner Bros. has been trying to make a live-action Akira movie for as long as we can remember. Multiple filmmakers, actors, and writers have unsuccessfully tried to adapt the graphic novel turned iconic animated film for Hollywood. Now comes the biggest Akira rumor yet.

This new rumor says the studio is trying to restart the scifi epic in a bigger way than ever and they may be bringing one of their big guns on to help. Den of Geek reports the studio wants to make not one, but three Akira movies and they asked none other than Christopher Nolan to talk to an unnamed director previously attached to the project about them.

So, of course, based on that sliver of information, the “Telephone” nature of the Internet would have you believe Nolan is directing a trilogy of movies or something like that. No. The news is he may have had a meeting with someone who once worked on the project. What they discussed there or if the meeting happened, we don’t know.

What we do know is Warner Bros. has dated a mystery Christopher Nolan movie for release summer of 2017. That’s a fact. So if Akira is back on the table, he’s almost certainly not directing. Could he be producing? Advising? Maybe. It’s hypothetically plausible. The dystopian themes in Akira, as well as the futuristic world and technology, all feel like things that would interest Nolan. And if he was attached, the studio might feel more comfortable developing the project as a trilogy instead of single film.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--__Hc6PFT--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1430759993047310914.jpg

Then again Akira has already worked - masterfully - as a single film. Is there really a need for three? Is the studio concerned about doing a trilogy to be more faithful to the original comics? Or are they trying to stretch one arguably recognizable brand name into three films? Or is the rumor incorrect? We don’t know.

Nevertheless, Christopher Nolan spending any significant time on a trilogy that he’s not writing or directing seems a little out there. Unless of course, he is and we have our minds blown in a few months when it’s announced his 2017 movie is actually Akira. That seems highly doubtful, but crazier things have happened. Or have they?

[Den of Geek]

Contact the author at germain@io9.com.

They need to recast Akira as a white female. ScarJo could do it. :rolleyes:

Jimbo
09-17-2015, 04:27 PM
They need to recast Akira as a white female. ScarJo could do it. :rolleyes:

Or Emma Stone, since she already played a "part Asian". :rolleyes:

GeneChing
06-27-2016, 01:53 PM
Another day, another Akira rumor.

Justin Lin In Talks To Direct ‘Akira’ Live-Action Adaptation — Report (http://www.indiewire.com/2016/06/justin-lin-akira-live-action-adaptation-fast-and-furious-1201699845/)
Lin's latest film "Star Trek Beyond" will hit theaters on July 22nd.

Vikram Murthi 5 hours ago @@fauxbeatpoet

http://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/akira-post-2.jpg?w=780
“Akira”
Toho

Justin Lin’s latest film “Star Trek Beyond,” the third film in the “Star Trek” reboot franchise, will hit theaters in just a few short weeks, but the acclaimed action director is already in talks for a couple future projects. Along with his “Space Jam” sequel starring LeBron James, Slash Film reports that Warner Bros. is talking to Lin about helming a live-action adaptation of the iconic cyberpunk manga, and later anime film, “Akira.” Though the film has been in development hell for years now, with various directors and actors attached to the project, but Lin might finally be the guy for the job.

Set in a dystopian version of Tokyo called Neo-Tokyo, “Akira” follows two teenage bikers Tetsuo and Kaneda as their lives radically change after dormant psychic abilities suddenly awaken in Tetsuo. Fearing another psychic explosion that leveled Tokyo years prior, a shadowy government agency targets Tetsuo to prevent another catastrophe, all the while fearing the monstrous power of the mysterious Akira.

Justin Lin first broke through with his 2002 film “Better Luck Tomorrow,” about a group of Asian Americans who fall into the world of petty crime and mayhem. He then went on to direct three films in the “Fast and Furious” series as well as three episodes of Dan Harmon’s sitcom “Community,” including the famous paintball episode of the series. He also directed the first two episodes of the second season of “True Detective.”

“Star Trek Beyond” will hit theaters on July 22nd

GeneChing
10-16-2017, 09:13 AM
Taika Waititi Talks Potentially Directing Akira, Casting Asians (http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/894911-taika-waititi-talks-potentially-directing-akira-casting-asians/amp)
Max Evry
October 11, 2017

Last month, it was revealed that Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi is in negotiations with Warner Bros. to direct Akira, the live-action adaptation of Katsuhiro Otomo’s anime. Now Waititi has spoken to IGN about potentially directing the film, what his approach would be, and casting Asians.

“I am — that was more or less a rumor,” said Waititi coyly about the possibility. “There was, I mean, I was in talks to do that, for sure, and something that I was very passionate about — am passionate about. I actually love the books. Love the movie, but I would not do a remake of the movie. I would do an adaptation of the books. And, yeah, so anyway there’s been some chats [about him directing it].”

He also confirmed that he would not whitewash or Americanize the cast, preferring to cast Asian actors in the roles of Kaneda, Tetsuo, et al.

“Yeah, actually Asian teenagers would be the way to do it for me and probably no, not, like no name, I mean sort of unfound, untapped talent,” Waititi confirmed. “Yeah, I’d probably want to take it a bit back more towards the books.”

Akira consists of six volumes and there are reportedly gong to be two films, each based on three volumes. There was a Japanese animated film based on Akira back in 1988, directed by Otomo.

The movie adaptation has carried this synopsis for years: Set in a future city environment called New Manhattan, the sci-fi epic follows the leader of a bike gang who must save his best friend, who has been experimented on by the government causing him to develop dangerous and destructive psychokinetic powers.

Andrew Lazar (American Sniper) and Leonardo DiCaprio’s Appian Way are producing the film, for which the studio acquired the rights back in 2008. It’s had plenty of talent attached before. The closest it came to being made was in 2012, when Jaume Collet-Serra was to direct Garrett Hedlund, Kristen Stewart, Ken Watanabe and Helena Bonham Carter.

In addition to the upcoming Thor: Ragnorok, Waititi is set to direct the upcoming WWII film Jojo Rabbit, which he also wrote. He’s also known for his work on the films What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

I enjoyed Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

GeneChing
04-08-2019, 01:49 PM
Now I'm really invested in this.

Leonardo DiCaprio Produced ‘Akira’ Scores In Latest CA Tax Credits Allocation (https://deadline.com/2019/04/leonardo-dicaprio-akira-california-tax-credits-warner-bros-paramount-1202586735/)
by Dominic Patten
April 2, 2019 6:13am

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/leo-dicaprio-akira-california.jpg
Shutterstock

The name Leonardo DiCaprio seems to be a little bit golden when it comes to the Golden State and tax incentives for film and television.

The Oscar winner saw the Quentin Tarantino directed Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, in which DiCaprio co-stars with Brad Pitt, awarded over $18 million from California’s $330 million annual incentives program in 2017. Now DiCaprio’s Appian Way shingle has been allocated $18.5 million for a live action version of Akira from Warner Bros.

Having gestated for a number of years, The Departed star produced adaptation of anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo’s 6-volume classic graphic novel was among 18 feature films that were unveiled today as successful recipients of the last round of allocations from the state and the California Film Commission.

With a duo of big bucks projects from Paramount, plus Cry, Baby and more in there, check out the full list and allocation awards of the 10 studios flicks and eight indies below:

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/ca-tax-incentives-march-2019-allocation.jpeg?w=768&h=354

“We are thrilled with the opportunity to shoot Akira in California,” said Ravi Mehta, Warner Bros. Pictures EVP of physical production and finance on Tuesday of the film and the tax credits it has been awarded. “The availability of top-notch crew members, plus the wide variety of location choices and predictable weather are second to none,” the exec added of the upcoming project.

Eager to display that the 13th big budget film to receive tax credits since the program was expanded back in 2014 is a good financial bet, the CFC reckons Akira will create a total of $92 million in spending in Cali during production – which is serious cash all round.

In full, the math for this latest round of awards for the 18 films is estimated to generate about $408 million in what the CFC call “qualified expenditures.”

Set to film entirely in the Golden State, the also Andrew Lazar produced Akira itself is estimated to generate $43 million in wages to 200 below-the line crew members and more than 5,000 extras during its 71 days of filming. Having seen his name floated around in the past in connection to the project, Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi is still on-board to helm Akira, I hear.

BTW, though that $18.5 million that Akira has been allocated is a pretty nice chunk of change from the state, it is not actually the most that California has handed out to a pic since the tax incentives program started accepting applications from tentpole projects five years ago. So far, the two spots belong to the Transformers spinoff Bumblebee and the LeBron James starring Space Jam 2 with $22.4 million and $21.8 million in credits respectively.

Of course, that could change after the next round of big screen applications are digitally submitted from June 17-21 this year. In terms of the small screen, the next application period for TV projects is May 20-24, with the allocations expected to be announced some time in late June or early July.

GeneChing
07-16-2019, 02:07 PM
Taika Waititi to Direct 'Thor 4' (Exclusive) (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/taika-waititi-direct-thor-4-1224464)
JULY 16, 2019 10:37AM by Borys Kit

https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/scale_crop_768_433/2019/07/taika_waititi_-getty-h_2019.jpg
Phillip Faraone/Getty Images

Meanwhile, development concerns force Warners to push back 'Akira.'

Taika Waititi is returning to the many worlds of Thor.

Waititi has inked a deal to write and direct a follow-up to his 2017 smash, Thor: Ragnarok.

But his boarding of what would be a fourth installment of the Marvel franchise comes at a cost: Warner Bros.' long-gestating adaptation of Japanese manga Akira.

That project, which was penciled for a May 21, 2021, release and had Waititi testing actors in a worldwide search for talent, is being put on pause indefinitely as the two projects' production dates began to bump up against one another. Script development concerns caused Akira to push back its shooting start, and while some of those have been addressed, say sources, the dates were now too close for comfort.

Warners' next step for Akira is unclear. Several sources have said that Warners is keen on keeping Waititi involved for the long term and hopes to see him pick up Akira after Thor 4.

Waititi brought his own stamp to the Thor franchise with Ragnarok, infusing the movie with an idiosyncratic wit evident in his previous work like What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Audiences responded to the tune of almost $854 million worldwide while critics’ raves put the movie at 93 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. The move also rejuvenated what had been a rare declining franchise performer for Marvel.

Chris Hemsworth is expected to reprise his career-defining role as the Asgardian god of thunder.

Next up for Waititi is Jojo Rabbit, a unique Nazi-era satire he directed for Fox Searchlight, which opens Oct. 18. Scarlett Johansson stars in the picture alongside Waititi, who portrays a boy's imaginary version of Adolf Hitler.

He is repped by CAA and Manage-ment.

Previous Thor threads:
Thor: Ragnarok (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70217-Thor-Ragnarok)
Thor? (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?47592-Thor)

THREADS
Thor 4 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71389-Thor-4)
Akira (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?50245-Akira)

Djuan
07-16-2019, 06:52 PM
Akira would be dope, it was already so ahead of its time. I wonder if they would keep it Original or push the envelope to make this new version, give us the same 'in the future' feeling as the old Akira. lookin forward to it

GeneChing
12-11-2019, 04:24 PM
'Flash' and 'Matrix 4' Get Release Dates (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/flash-matrix-4-get-release-dates-1261939)
DECEMBER 11, 2019 12:19PM by Aaron Couch, Borys Kit

https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/768x433/2019/12/justice_league_the_matrix_split.jpg
Ezra Miller as The Flash in 'Justice League' (left), Keanu Reeves in 'The Matrix' | Warner Bros./Photofest

Warner Bros. has also undated 'Akira,' which was put on pause when filmmaker Taika Waititi signed on for a fourth 'Thor' movie over the summer.

Warner Bros. has announced release dates for two of its upcoming tentpoles, The Flash and the latest Matrix sequel.

The untitled Matrix film is set to open May 21, 2021, while the long-gestating Flash movie is set to bow July 1, 2022. The studio has also undated Akira, the manga adaptation that has Taika Waititi attached to direct but was put on hold in July when the filmmaker signed on to helm a fourth Thor film for Marvel Studios. It previously was slated for the date now occupied by the Matrix pic.

In a strange twist, the Matrix sequel is now set to go against Lionsgate's John Wick: Chapter 4, with both films starring Keanu Reeves. Matrix co-creator Lana Wachowski is directing the upcoming Matrix effort, which also stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Carrie-Anne Moss, Neil Patrick Harris and Jada Pinkett Smith.

Meanwhile, Wednesday's announcement marks the latest release-date shuffle for The Flash, which has long-struggled in its development process. Ezra Miller stars as the DC Comics speedster and made his first appearance in a cameo in 2016’s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. The studio had initially planned to get a solo outing ready for a 2018 release but creative challenges and musical chairs for the director's seat kept pushing any start of production back. And back again. It filmmaker Andy Muschietti is on board as director now, with a shoot planned for next year.

Additionally, Warner Bros. has moved the release of its Mortal Kombat reboot up six weeks to Jan. 15, 2021, and has also dated an untitled project about political activist Fred Hampton for Aug. 21, 2020.

The Hollywood Reporter
AARON COUCH
aaron.couch@thr.com
@AaronCouch
BORYS KIT
@borys_kit

THREADS
John Wick 4 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71307-John-Wick-Chapter-4) May 21, 2021
Matrix 4 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70161-Matrix-4) May 21, 2021

Mortal Kombat (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71437-Mortal-Kombat-2021-reboot) August 20, 2020
Akira (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?50245-Akira) undated