PDA

View Full Version : Joint Lock Reversals

Lama Pai Sifu
02-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Here is a clip from an old video I did from 1994. 14 years ago it would seem...does that qualify as 'old' yet? Perhaps a 'not recent' video clip might be more appropriate...

It's nothing complicated, just some lock-reversals, very basic. I'm sure many of you on here will learn nothing from the clip, but some of you just might.

Enjoy.

Clip #1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgGPNFmV5sU)

There is a #2 to this clip on my channel page located below.

xcakid
02-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Me likey.

Thanks.

MasterKiller
02-29-2008, 01:34 PM
LPS,
Do you, as a teacher, think wrist manipulation techniques serve any use in modern society where people aren't trying to grab your sword arm?

Lama Pai Sifu
02-29-2008, 02:05 PM
LPS,
Do you, as a teacher, think wrist manipulation techniques serve any use in modern society where people aren't trying to grab your sword arm?

Not really. I used to think differently, about 10 years or so ago.

At this point, I don't really even teach that kinda stuff anymore. There are some arm locks that we use, but I am not really a fan of wrist stuff.

Mook Jong
02-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Although, can't having good wrist control help with certain arm locks?

and just bc i said wrist control, i can't resist
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2REG3-Wb5gM

Lama Pai Sifu
02-29-2008, 02:14 PM
It can, although I just can't imagine too many scenarios where you will get your wrist grabbed.

Yes, in a clinch and while grappling, you opponent may grab your wrist and you may be able to utilize a 'concept', but they will not come off like a steven segal movie.

diego
02-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Here is a clip from an old video I did from 1994. 14 years ago it would seem...does that qualify as 'old' yet? Perhaps a 'not recent' video clip might be more appropriate...

It's nothing complicated, just some lock-reversals, very basic. I'm sure many of you on here will learn nothing from the clip, but some of you just might.

Enjoy.

Clip #1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgGPNFmV5sU)

There is a #2 to this clip on my channel page located below.
you know my opinion on your clips:)

Thanks for posting I never really researched Kahm Na/chin na...found this: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=r7wK2_6kScY

He is not a Hung Ga guy but he does joint manipulation seminars for various schools...cool

rogue
02-29-2008, 09:28 PM
It can, although I just can't imagine too many scenarios where you will get your wrist grabbed.

Yes, in a clinch and while grappling, you opponent may grab your wrist and you may be able to utilize a 'concept', but they will not come off like a steven segal movie.

Never thought about it before but even in training I can't remember having had anyone who new remotely what they were doing grab my wrist without being in tight and with some kind of game plan. Even Little Rogue will do a two handed wrist grab with a pull down that he learned in wrestling, which kills the Aikido/Hapkido style counters. Interesting.

onehawaiian
03-06-2008, 05:48 PM
cool vids.

a lot of ppl seem to think this is not useful in todays society.
and they are right to a degree.
however, most opinions are based in a ma -vs- ma situation, and these are pretty elementary techniques.
but in general, imo these techniques are pretty handy/useful as the average naughty citizen will not oftentimes be so skilled.

Mook Jong
03-06-2008, 06:11 PM
What about wrist locks off a lapel grab? To me that seems like when knowing how to manipulate the wrist is the most useful.

monji112000
03-06-2008, 08:53 PM

I would think that for police officers it would be more applicable. Even so when I have tried that stuff it was very hard to get the wrist. Even then I was never really sure WTF I was doing or if it was really "working". The few things that I have had done on me that worked 100% every time were combine with basic take-down and control. I guess judo ish (I'm not a judo player so I could be wrong).

I wonder how many people have really used stuff like that in a fight? But I could still see some basic uses in SD.