PDA

View Full Version : "The Human Body"

bakxierboxer
03-02-2008, 09:52 PM
A new series on Discovery Channel covers a number of things that are "relevant" to MA training.

Tonight's "chapters" were:
1. "Strength"
2. "Sight"

MASTERforge
03-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Is that Kung Fu eyes like 32 chambers of Shaolin?
:D

bakxierboxer
03-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Is that Kung Fu eyes like 32 chambers of Shaolin?

Nope.
More like an exploration of the full capabilities of the human body... in the case of the second hour, the subject was the human eye.
Got into the functions of the retina, rods, cones, neural speeds, multi-tasking within the brain, and "division"/"assignment" of brain capacities to the various aspects of sight. Edged into "learning", sleep/dreaming/learning/reflex-training, etc

The first hour covered different strengths of the components of the human body and gave measurements of the tensile strength of bone, etc; edging into coordination and leading-into/connecting-with the second hour.

diego
03-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Nope.
More like an exploration of the full capabilities of the human body... in the case of the second hour, the subject was the human eye.
Got into the functions of the retina, rods, cones, neural speeds, multi-tasking within the brain, and "division"/"assignment" of brain capacities to the various aspects of sight. Edged into "learning", sleep/dreaming/learning/reflex-training, etc

The first hour covered different strengths of the components of the human body and gave measurements of the tensile strength of bone, etc; edging into coordination and leading-into/connecting-with the second hour.

no one will believe you unless you show video!.

bakxierboxer
03-03-2008, 11:05 AM
no one will believe you unless you show video!.

Turn on the tv and watch it yourself... you ought to be able to do that.

SPJ
03-03-2008, 11:15 AM
peronally.

our body is not designed to fight but to use tools.

in comparison to bear, lion, etc.

SPJ
03-03-2008, 11:16 AM
our body is good for singing and dancing, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnXX6RtJ5s0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DncRBXm-Oo

:)

IronFist
03-05-2008, 01:38 PM
I saw both of those episodes. They were very cool.

bakxierboxer
03-05-2008, 01:46 PM
I saw both of those episodes. They were very cool.

More coming this Sunday, the 9th.

sanjuro_ronin
03-05-2008, 02:05 PM
On National Geopraphic they have a program called "superhuman", people doing feats of strength and endurance that are above the norm.
Had one guy running barefoot and in nothing but shorts in the middle of winter for an hour or something like that, last one I saw they had a strength episode where a guy snapped chains, bent adjustable wrenches and drove nails through wood blocks.

Lucas
03-05-2008, 02:44 PM
peronally.

our body is not designed to fight but to use tools.

in comparison to bear, lion, etc.

To follow this line of thought. It is my impression that the human body is designed to fight, using tools, among other activities. We, of all the creatures on this planet, have a unique design that allows for effeciency in many areas our animal counterparts to not posess.

On that great upward climb out of the caves and trees into man made dwellings, man has had to constantly fight to remain such a dominant species. Time and again we have proven the ability to master our surroundings. Regardless of the conditions, (from the steaming jungle to the arctic tundra we thrive).

We have pitted ourselves against nearly every creature on this planet, as well as condition.

To return to the original line of thought, what all of our conditions have in common. Tools. More over, weapons.

Of all the creations man has developed over the centuries, is it any wonder that our weapons are the most sophisticated pieces of technology to be wrought by the human mind and hand?

diego
03-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Turn on the tv and watch it yourself... you ought to be able to do that.

lol, I haven't owned cable in ten years...when you said Discovery Channel I blanked out and thought that was some sort of pay per view special...I usually just wait a week and find new movies/specials online for cheap = $0.00 :)

diego
03-05-2008, 06:24 PM
On National Geopraphic they have a program called "superhuman", people doing feats of strength and endurance that are above the norm.
Had one guy running barefoot and in nothing but shorts in the middle of winter for an hour or something like that, last one I saw they had a strength episode where a guy snapped chains, bent adjustable wrenches and drove nails through wood blocks.

like I said about the video comment:cool:

sanjuro_ronin
03-06-2008, 05:30 AM
like I said about the video comment:cool:

Actually I tried to find the video on youtube, wasn't there, so I guess it never happened !
LOL !

sanjuro_ronin
03-06-2008, 05:31 AM
To follow this line of thought. It is my impression that the human body is designed to fight, using tools, among other activities. We, of all the creatures on this planet, have a unique design that allows for effeciency in many areas our animal counterparts to not posess.

On that great upward climb out of the caves and trees into man made dwellings, man has had to constantly fight to remain such a dominant species. Time and again we have proven the ability to master our surroundings. Regardless of the conditions, (from the steaming jungle to the arctic tundra we thrive).

We have pitted ourselves against nearly every creature on this planet, as well as condition.

To return to the original line of thought, what all of our conditions have in common. Tools. More over, weapons.

Of all the creations man has developed over the centuries, is it any wonder that our weapons are the most sophisticated pieces of technology to be wrought by the human mind and hand?

Survival is the most primal of urges.

SPJ
03-06-2008, 08:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7pmwqDLxU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilsKneRupVA

I still think, human body is good for singing and dancing.

talking about tools or weapons to fight.

the wrist is important for wielding the straight sword and throwing darts and daggers.

the whole arm is important for the broad sword.

the whole body is important for the staff/spear--

and the mind is the master of all of them.

--

;)

Lucas
03-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Survival is the most primal of urges.

Thats not what most of your image posts tell me!

Lucas
03-06-2008, 10:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7pmwqDLxU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilsKneRupVA

I still think, human body is good for singing and dancing.

talking about tools or weapons to fight.

the wrist is important for wielding the straight sword and throwing darts and daggers.

the whole arm is important for the broad sword.

the whole body is important for the staff/spear--

and the mind is the master of all of them.

--

;)

This brings up a question in my mind.

Are humans the only species that sings and dances for pleasure alone? I know some birds sing, and some animals dance, but arent those generally for mating and other natural reasons?

Its great to be human, although sometimes I think squirrels have more fun than I do.

Maybe I can be reborn as a squirrel.

SPJ
03-06-2008, 10:11 PM
try not to derail the thread too much.

however, it is a very deep question,

do we use our resources to fight or do other things?

Song dynasty is a good example.

they bought peace by giving money to Jin. to fight a war, we incur loss of money and human lives.

In Song dynasty, China saw a unprecedented booms in economic and civilization.

further developing of printing, gun powder, paper etc.

huge amount of works of calligraphy, poems, chinese music and paintings etc.

If Song persued the policy of non stopping engaging wars with neighbor Jin.

then further development of printing, paper making, gun powder etc will be delayed.

--

something to think about, is it not?

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/focus/inventions.htm

:D;):)

No_Know
01-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Strength and sight as part of Martial Arts trainging...range of observation and perception rate could factor in for eyes. Force required to break bone could be useful. But not break dry bone. Break bone in fluid/flexible supportive pressurized casing

Humans designed for tool use? Unlike lions, bears? Bears And felines seem to my think have five digits at the end of their four limbs, at least the fronor top limbe. In bears what was our thumb is forward for support--bear thumbds are toes.

Feline, cat family thumbs are thumbs the are out of the way and ****her back than our thumbs. This positioning in canine seems to me to be useful to clear around their eyes (otherwise they might rake their eye--torisky foras often as they might have to scratch ther or wipe out the corner of their eyes.

As far as mastering our environments, we don't. That is why we build. As a being we cannot survive in environments on this planet as are. We build from the environment perhaps, but so do birds, and perhaps burrowing animals. Viruses might cause reactions to improve their stay.

It is our repeated inadequacies that got us success-ish. By design we run and hide. This is Human Nature, My Say. Our children naturally all overthe world play at run and hide games. Other animal children might encounter each other for a tussle/pwing practice--strike hunt kill to feed activities. Ours seek cover. Run away. With this mention I might think We continue this in our interactions of lies, shyness, submissiveness, ganging-up, convincing, distracting, and being distracted at least.

We survived buy removingourselves or sheltering ourselves more-so from the environment.

The opposable thumb might be a universal-ish on Earth. Our nitche placement (for now is where it is and hasbeen for quite a while. We are all developmental. If they stop they are at a good place. But changing with the situation.?. Their situation hasnt changed enough for much noticable mention. But as thier situation changes their patterns adapt as always have. It was merely same-ol' same-ol' before.

Weapons, points and edges. Having limits we had to focus on what we could do and advanced claws as strong as theirs and stronger useable with as much force and more force but at a distance because we are inferior to their reaction and developmed bodies--fitness. I think their brain is closer to their perceptionstuffs and they can percieve faster. At least they can perceive faster. I refer to dogs moving out oftheway when youare close to theie faceq and them not moving too. As if they can tell by your sudden movement where youy'll end up and move or don't move accordingly. If you try to feign a hit, they might could tell it was a feign and not requring moving or much moving. Also they and felines might
have less feeling on the face/head which matters in some way I think