PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Terminology Help!

hokfumantis
03-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Anyone may know what the term "Immortal man exchanges his shadow" or "Sin Yan Wun Ying" (仙人換影) is, as appied to Mantis Gung Fu? Answers are greatly appreciated!

mantis108
03-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Which line of mantis?

In CCK TCPM there is a Shou Fa move called "xian ren zhua fa" (immortal pulls hair).

Mantis108

hokfumantis
03-07-2008, 08:42 PM
The term is a 7-Star Mantis term and I've seen it used by Tai Ji Mantis Stylist as well.

Tainan Mantis
03-08-2008, 11:39 AM
In all my years of pouring over the manuscripts, books and hand written material I don't recall ever having seen such a term.

If it was there and I just forgot it is definetely not a common term.

And if I cant remember a term or name I would just ask Robert(108) because he remember s this stuff better than I do.

Since he said he has never seen it we can assume that; it doesn't exist, it is in use by a school that we have not yet come across.

But most likely I would say that it is a term used by a differnt style of MA. Maybe that school also teaches Mantis and so there was some sort of mix up of names.

Kevin

No_SuRReNDeR
03-08-2008, 04:47 PM
I have come across Immortal Man Points the Way, maybe its a Mantis version of the same technique? Just with mantis claws instead of palms?:confused:

hokfumantis
03-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks TM and all, But there is such a term found in a book called Shangdung Tong Long Kyun written by Lam Wing-kit. This particular phrase is found on page 114 line #16. The name of the form is Yaat Lou Tong Long Pok Sim or First route Praying Mantis Attacks the Cicada. I know this particular 7-Star Mantis form, but is a variation and I'm curious to know.