PDA

View Full Version : Rip Jeff Healey

diego
03-07-2008, 07:04 AM
R.I.P. Jeff Healey

I used to love listening to dude's music back in the 80's...bet you he got more trim than that D&D guy:)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NOIWP_VoOOc&feature=related
3/3/2008 By Cam Lindsay

Celebrated blues-rock and jazz virtuoso Jeff Healey died yesterday (March 2) after a life-long battle with cancer. In January of 2007, Healey underwent surgery to remove cancerous tissue from his legs, and later from both lungs, then using aggressive radiation treatments and chemotherapy, however, it failed to halt the spread of the disease.

Robbed of his sight as a baby due to a rare form of cancer, retino blastoma, Healey started to play guitar when he was three years old, holding the instrument unconventionally across his lap. He formed his first band at 17, but soon formed a trio named the Jeff Healey Band that went on to earn both a cameo in the Patrick Swayze film, Road House and a Grammy nomination for their debut album, See the Light.

In 1990, Healey won his first Juno as Entertainer of the Year and went on to record four more blues albums. He eventually turned to his true love of jazz, both playing trumpet and guitar in the band Jeff Healey’s Jazz Wizards and DJing on CBC Radio using his extensive 30,000-plus collection of 78-rpm records.

At the time of his death, Jeff was on the verge of releasing his first rock/blues album in eight years. Mess of Blues is scheduled for release in Canada on April 22, through Stony Plain, the independent Edmonton-based label that released his three jazz CDs.

Healey is survived by his wife, Cristie, daughter Rachel (13) and son Derek (three). He was 41.

http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid2=844&fid1=30115

sanjuro_ronin
03-07-2008, 08:20 AM
I was not aware...
Truly a loss.

David Jamieson
03-07-2008, 08:28 AM
yeah, he was a gifted mofo and played a wicked wicked wicked mean guitar.

one of the greats, right up there with jimi and eric et al.

rip jeff. your legacy will live on through your club in T.O and your fans who are worldwide.