PDA

View Full Version : Distance to train

shaolin_allan
03-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi I did a search and haven't seen a thread like this posted before on here. I was wondering what the distance is everyone travels to train at their martial arts schools, and if the distance affects their amount of training?

yu shan
03-09-2008, 12:59 PM
To train with my Shifu, he is 725 miles away. An hour and forty minute flight with Southwest.

Dale Dugas
03-09-2008, 03:59 PM
I live in Boston and my teachers live in Texas. I see them a few times a year. Usually at least for one long weekend and another week long training camp. So I seem them and train hard on what they give me and then get corrections the next time I see them.

Very old school training.

shaolin_allan
03-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Wow I admire your guys's dedication, that's amazing. Are you certified instructors?

yu shan
03-09-2008, 06:57 PM
I was told to go and teach. This dedication is for me to master what my Shifu teaches me and to take care of my Shifu. This will be for the rest of my life.

shaolin_allan
03-09-2008, 07:22 PM
yu shan at one time did you live close to your sifu?

Dale Dugas
03-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Wow I admire your guys's dedication, that's amazing. Are you certified instructors?

I have been certified to start teaching the beginning material and will be certified to teach more as time goes on.

Drake
03-10-2008, 02:13 AM
5664.93 miles to GM's school from where I am. We're lucky to have things like youtube, internet, and great phone systems so that teaching can be conducted almost anywhere.

sha0lin1
03-10-2008, 07:13 AM
I drive 179 miles every two weeks. About a 2.5 to 3 hour drive to Houston. I used to go weekly until gas prices went up. But the information and training I receive is priceless. If you want to train with the best you have to pay the price, physically and financially.

xcakid
03-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Dang...I guess I pale in comparison to some of you guys. :o

The longest distance was when I was taking Arnis. I lived in S.F. and went to Stockton which is roughly 70mi away. Then again when I lived in SoCal, I would travel roughly 80mi. from OC to the Valley to study with the son of my late instructor.

Aside from that, I've been fortunate to find good schools near my home of place of work. My current kwoon is only 2 miles from where I live. I can jog there for a warm up. :cool:

bakxierboxer
03-10-2008, 08:43 AM
... Then again when I lived in SoCal, I would travel roughly 80mi. from OC to the Valley to study with the son of my late instructor.

Who/where was that?

gwa sow
03-10-2008, 08:59 AM
hmmm let see. if i call someones cell phone, ill get to school before i here the voicemail come on. :)

No_SuRReNDeR
03-11-2008, 04:58 PM
I travel 5 or 6 times a week from Avondale to central Phoenix -35/40 mi and I thought that was really far but DANG 100+ miles or more...wow That's impressive. Its cool to see how dedicated some of you are.:D
Yu Shan it seems like you have a great level of respect for your Shifu--taking the meaning of the term to heart. It bugs me how so many people refer to their teacher as Sifu/Shifu when they barely understand the meaning behind what it is they are saying.I don't just mean the meaning of the word but the implication of the word. Are you from China originally? I only ask because that kind of commitment is rare in the modern world and especially in the US.

xcakid
03-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Who/where was that?

Fred Jasmin Jr. He did not have a school. Taught out of his garage in Upland. Mainly family members, and close family friends. His father taught at a Filipino senior center in Stockton until he passed. The Arnis system came from Ilocos Norte and have been passed down within their family. Lots of blade work including balisong.

onehawaiian
03-11-2008, 08:23 PM
training is about 5min away, depending on traffic lights.

shaolin_allan
03-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Hey No Surrender how are classes going? How many mizong forms have you learned by now?

bakxierboxer
03-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Fred Jasmin Jr. He did not have a school. Taught out of his garage in Upland.

Ummmm... that's in "the other valley" east of LA.

OTOH, there IS a very sizable Filipino community "out there".... which includes some of my seniors in Kajukenbo.

xcakid
03-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Ummmm... that's in "the other valley" east of LA.

OTOH, there IS a very sizable Filipino community "out there".... which includes some of my seniors in Kajukenbo.

Yeah I know its not THE Valley as in San Fernando, I still call it the valley. :p

Kajukenbo is big in SoCal. Those guys do a lot of Kali/Arnis as well. Got to meet Gary Forbach(not sure if that is how you spell his last name) a few times. There was another guy in Riverside too that use to go to a lot of tournaments forgot his name.

bakxierboxer
03-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah I know its not THE Valley as in San Fernando, I still call it the valley. :p

I guess that's gotta be "accurate enough" for SoCal.

Kajukenbo is big in SoCal. Those guys do a lot of Kali/Arnis as well.

"At one time", there wasn't much else....
Stand-up MA in the LA area was Tsutomu Ohshima, Ed Parker, John Leoning.....

Got to meet Gary Forbach(not sure if that is how you spell his last name) a few times.

Looks right to me.... different "line".

There was another guy in Riverside too that use to go to a lot of tournaments forgot his name.

Riverside? dunno..... that's "pretty far out"...... (heh!)

shaolin_allan
03-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Im in Phoenix myself, i've been wanting to get back into martial arts soon. There are two kung-fu schools by me but neither seems legit, the only other things close are a shuri-ryu and a kempo school. I think it's gonna be around 30+ miles one way for my to return to my last sifu or to find a good teacher again. I live on the far north outskirts of Phoenix, kind of a bad area for training.

bakxierboxer
03-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Im in Phoenix myself....
I think it's gonna be around 30+ miles one way for my to return to my last sifu or to find a good teacher again. I live on the far north outskirts of Phoenix, kind of a bad area for training.

What about Tempe?
Mapquest says it's 13 miles from Phoenix to Tempe....

shaolin_allan
03-12-2008, 03:01 PM
I live in Sun City which is far northwest suburb city of Phoenix. It's about 45 miles give or take from Tempe.

bakxierboxer
03-12-2008, 05:35 PM
I live in Sun City which is far northwest suburb city of Phoenix. It's about 45 miles give or take from Tempe.

Could be worse...
OTOH, it's not exactly like falling out of bed.........