PDA

View Full Version : Coiled Dragon's Kick...

Long-Wang
03-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Hi All,

Im new to the forums and this is my first thread.
Ive been learning martial arts for about 7 years but where I live there's
almost know where to learn traditional kung fu. Ive recently found somewhere that teaches Tiger and Crane styles but thats all so Ive decided that until I can find a teacher, ill research myself.

Anyway, in reading a book on 5 Animal Hung Kuen, theres a technique in the dragon section called 'the coiled dragon's kick' but the pictures describing it dont show the kick itself.
Could someone please give me a more in depth description of the kick and how it is executed???

Thank you!!!:D

spaced
03-19-2008, 07:02 AM
There are loads of examples of Dragn Kicks on Youtube, but none on a coiled dragon kick.

I assume by coiled they mean, what us Kungfu students know as, realing of the silk. You start in a lower rooted position and your body coils up and then perfomring the kick, thus achieving a faster and more effective spin?

Funny you mention Crane and Tiger - I study White Crane and Tiger Kungfu.

I'd be happy to answer any questions

Golden Arms
03-19-2008, 11:20 AM
5 Animal Hung is different stuff (especially if you are referring to the leung ting related books), often referred to as village or pre wong fei hung, hung gar. You are not going to have much luck learning it from a book in the first place, find a hung teacher and practice for several years, and what is in there will likely make a lot more sense. That kick is not a spinning kick from what I recall, but I don't practice that lineage so I don't think I should get into exactly how it IS done. Perhaps others care to comment?

Long-Wang
03-20-2008, 04:10 AM
Thank you both for your help.

Yeah I'd looked on youtube first and found nothing.
Yes Golden arms, it is the Leung Ting book, and even though it has the applications written in the back, Its hard to understend fully.
I think I realise now though what it is to an extent.

I know learning from a book isn't a very good learning method, but its the best I can do without a teacher, and where I live its very hard to find anywhere to learn.
Even where Im learning Tiger and Crane, its only one of the complete forms, so its not the whole system. I really need to find somewhere to learn properly but until then books and other references are all I have and are better than nothing at all.

Thank you also for you offer Spaced, Ill keep that in mind and get back to you!:)

Thanks again guys, and if anyone else has any opinions etc, feel free to let me know. PLEASE!!! lol :D

sanjuro_ronin
03-20-2008, 04:14 AM
I thought that kick in that book was shown, isn't it the low line kick to the groin that "travels" up the inside thigh ?

Shaolin Shi
03-20-2008, 08:55 AM
I thought that kick in that book was shown, isn't it the low line kick to the groin that "travels" up the inside thigh ?

It is shown.

Page 72, pictures 6 and 7

Just goes to show what everybody keeps saying about not being able to learn this stuff from a book.

mok
03-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Long Wang, golden arms

Let me make this clear: Yuen Kik Kai's "5 pattern Hung Kuen" ( in the books published by Leung Ting) is not the same as Wong Fei Hong's Hung Gar Kuen or what is typically known as "Hung Gar". It is not even the same as pre-Wong Fei Hong Hung Ga or so-called "old style Hung kuen" / "village-style" hung kuen.

Yuen Kik-Kai's art is a completely unrelated style.

If you really are trying to learn "tiger crane", ie traditional Hung Gar boxing, I would recommend dropping that book entirely and go find either a teacher or at least use books/references of Canton/HongKong Hung Gar and not something else.

The 5-pattern hung kuen book will lead you into wrong directions and will actually impair your understanding of Hung Gar. For example, it concentrates too much on hand shapes and says nothing of structure... while for Hung Gar structure is key, and handshapes are secondary.

mok

Long-Wang
03-21-2008, 04:48 AM
Thankyou for the help Mok!!

I am actually learning Hung Gar from a teacher at the moment,
Im reading books etc because I like to know as much as I can about different styles that I can't learn otherwise.
The teacher Im learning from is not a master of Hung Gar itself, he is showing me the forms he knows that he learnt in China, but its not his main style.
There is actually know where for me to learn any full traditional styles at all were I live so Im just having to settle for whatever I can get until I can travel to find a master.

Thanks again, keep 'em coming!!! hehe, everyone is really helping my understandings right now as well, so Im learning things I didnt expect to be :D:D:D

SiMui
03-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Hello all! I am new to the forums too, and am learning hung kuen. Since I just started at this school not long ago, I'm not clear on village style vs regular hung kuen. Can anyone enlighten me? What's the difference? What do you think of combining the two in one school?