PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Stop gone wrong

Oso
03-14-2008, 08:30 PM
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880314081

<<<read the article or the rest will be spoiler>>>>

I happened to be standing across the street from the troop HQ when this went down and saw the most amazing exodus of SHP cars from the parking lot. I didn't know what was happening but checked the news later on.

Not to really second guess the SHP or the trooper but:

1 - not a good enough frisk or not good enough training

2 - i think I can see where having a barrier between the front and back seats would interfere with the general mission of the SHP but there should probably be a lock-down-ring (my term) so the prisoner's arms aren't free to move even if cuffed.

3 - hell yea...if he actually only discharged two shots then he was a great shot under much pressure.

4 - one report has him cut from forehead to mouth...ouch.

cjurakpt
03-15-2008, 05:30 AM
the major error here is one of protocol, as you correctly point out: I find it rather strange that, given that HP officers will be regularly taking people into custody who are unfit to drive (e.g. - under some sort of mind-altering influence), that there wouldn't be safeguards in place to protect them - I can't imagine that it would take too much of a design genius to come up with some sort of system to safely restrain suspects - I mean, if the guy could access a razor blade (which I imagine could remain concealed even after a frisk, I don't know, just guessing) and attack the officer with it, who's to say he couldn't have gone so far as to get the officers firearm, or interfere with his driving so as to cause an accident? just seems like it was totally preventable...

Oso
03-15-2008, 06:20 AM
i'm not 100% sure on this but I think that the HP usually calls in sherrif's to transport.

RD'S Alias - 1A
03-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Barrier or no barrier, I would think transporting in the rear of the vehicle would be safer....Oh wait, never mind. The suspect could strangle the driver from behind with the cuffs if he is in the rear.

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-15-2008, 03:15 PM
the major error here is one of protocol, as you correctly point out: I find it rather strange that, given that HP officers will be regularly taking people into custody who are unfit to drive (e.g. - under some sort of mind-altering influence), that there wouldn't be safeguards in place to protect them - I can't imagine that it would take too much of a design genius to come up with some sort of system to safely restrain suspects - I mean, if the guy could access a razor blade (which I imagine could remain concealed even after a frisk, I don't know, just guessing) and attack the officer with it, who's to say he couldn't have gone so far as to get the officers firearm, or interfere with his driving so as to cause an accident? just seems like it was totally preventable...

he let his guard down ... troopers are human. probably thought the guy was harmless ... maybe the guy was even friendly. thankfully, the trooper didnt pay his life for it, and i bet he'll not be so careless again.