PDA

View Full Version : The child shouted,"Sir! Yes Sir!"

Tainan Mantis
03-17-2008, 10:57 AM
This post is about how young students should address their teachers and your opinion of it.

In some schools that teach youngsters they are taught to say either ,"Sir! Yes Sir!"
Or maybe they are just taught to say "Yes sir!"

So my question to those who are in or who see kids class is about how the children register a teacher's command.

Do the kids say one of the above or is there something else that happens at your school?

Please feel free to add your opinion on the good and bad points of what is said at your school.

For me, as a father, if my kid goes to a MA school and is 'yes sirring' all around the classroom then I would consider that a good aspect of the teaching.

Last school I checked out, right after randori sparring, one kid took another kid's fallen belt(Judo school) and threw it across the room shouting that," this is the losers belt, best to throw it n the trash."

And the teacher had no rection to this sort of naugtiness.

And no one ever said yes sir!" in that school.
Didnt like that school.

kevin

www.plumflowermantisboxing.com

xcakid
03-17-2008, 11:03 AM
We have them answer yes sir/no sir not only to the instructors but to each other as well. This goes for the adult class as well. We also address fellow classmates by their last names. Except for sifu, he is just Sifu.

They also have to bow to the black belts when they first see them at the school as a greeting.

mantis108
03-17-2008, 11:57 AM
This post is about how young students should address their teachers and your opinion of it.

In some schools that teach youngsters they are taught to say either ,"Sir! Yes Sir!"

So my question to those who are in or who see kids class is about how the children register a teacher's command.

Do the kids say one of the above or is there something else that happens at your school?

Please feel free to add your opinion on the good and bad points of what is said at your school.

For me, as a father, if my kid goes to a MA school and is 'yes sirring' all around the classroom then I would consider that a good aspect of the teaching.

Last school I checked out, right after randori sparring, one kid took another kid's fallen belt(Judo school) and threw it across the room shouting that," this is the losers belt, best to throw it n the trash."

Didnt like that school.

kevin

If I were the teacher, I would have walk over to the tossed belt pick it up personally. I would gather everyone and I would mark the belt "LOSER". Then I would ask the kid, who tossed the belt to give his own belt to the kid, who dropped the belt. I would give the marked belt to the former kid. I would anounce in front of everyone that the kid who wears the marked belt will have to wear the belt from now on until he

A) sincerely apologizes and promises to never make an offense like that or face expelsion.
B) until the loser mark on the belt blamished natuarlly or until the next belt test which will always have a blue strike if he refuses to apologize.

The teacher should have exercise his disciplinary measure here one way or the other.

But then what can we expect from a commercial school?

Warmest regards

Mantis108

SanHeChuan
03-17-2008, 11:58 AM
I was in the military, and I say leave that Sh*t out.
If you want your kids to say yes sir, you teach them. Or send them to military school.
I resent everything i "have" to say during class, especially group speak, except for the creed.

Maybe the instructor did something to correct this that didn't involve a verbal beat down. Like pairing the kid up with better opponents until he learned some humility, or had a private chat. The last thing you should do is call someone out in public. Or maybe it was a just a joke, I don't know I wasn't there.

sanjuro_ronin
03-17-2008, 11:59 AM

Didnt like that school.

kevin

Interesting Judo school, I have been to 5 different ones in my time, not including 2 in portugal and 1 and spain and have NEVER seen anything but respect.
That kind of behavior gets you kicked out of a dojo.

Becca
03-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Students adress the blackbelts as Sifu. For some reson they also do this for the non-sifu black belts.:confused:

Student instructors are addressed as Wosu. Nothing formal for everyone else, though it is common for Todi to address each other as sister or brother.

When spoken to by an instructor, you do acknolwedge them. Your choice if you want to say yes sir/ma'am or simply "ush."

Break to the senior black belt upon entering or leaving the kwoon. If there are more than one black belts present who hold the most senior rank present, you break to each in turn. You also break apon entering or leaving the training area of the kwoon. This is not pompus arrogance; it is to let others know that you are entering or leaving and is a safety consideration. Breaking to the senior Sifu(s) lets them know who all's there as they are the ones responsable for everyone in the kwoon at all times.

BoulderDawg
03-17-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't think the military top of the lungs "SIR, YES, SIR" is necessary. However the kids should address the instructor as "Sifi", "Master" or whatever his/her title is.

The episode at the school with the kid throwing the belt is something that happens with kids in all sports. How it is handled depends on a lot of things. Is the group of kids themselves mature enough to handle it on their own? Is this something that has happened before? Is this kid a leader/follower/bully/crazy?

I would have probably handled it as quietly as I could. If the kid was bullying the other kid I would talk to the kid then his parents with the understanding that the kid would be booted if it happened again. If this was his second offense I would simply give the money back to his parents and tell them to find another school.

Lama Pai Sifu
03-17-2008, 03:28 PM
If I were the teacher, I would have walk over to the tossed belt pick it up personally. I would gather everyone and I would mark the belt "LOSER". Then I would ask the kid, who tossed the belt to give his own belt to the kid, who dropped the belt. I would give the marked belt to the former kid. I would anounce in front of everyone that the kid who wears the marked belt will have to wear the belt from now on until he

A) sincerely apologizes and promises to never make an offense like that or face expelsion.
B) until the loser mark on the belt blamished natuarlly or until the next belt test which will always have a blue strike if he refuses to apologize.

The teacher should have exercise his disciplinary measure here one way or the other.

But then what can we expect from a commercial school?

Warmest regards

Mantis108

That was very wrong of you to say. There is probably more etiquette and structure in commercial schools than non-commerical or clubs. Why on earth would you say such a thing? Half the non-com or clubs don't even call their instructor anything but their first name...

Very ingnorant comment on your part, IMHO.

That would NEVER happen in my school. Neither would such ignorance.

Black Jack II
03-17-2008, 03:29 PM
I don't think a kid should EVER be calling someone master but again each to their own.

Lama Pai Sifu
03-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Students adress the blackbelts as Sifu. For some reson they also do this for the non-sifu black belts.:confused:

Student instructors are addressed as Wosu. Nothing formal for everyone else, though it is common for Todi to address each other as sister or brother.

When spoken to by an instructor, you do acknolwedge them. Your choice if you want to say yes sir/ma'am or simply "ush."

Break to the senior black belt upon entering or leaving the kwoon. If there are more than one black belts present who hold the most senior rank present, you break to each in turn. You also break apon entering or leaving the training area of the kwoon. This is not pompus arrogance; it is to let others know that you are entering or leaving and is a safety consideration. Breaking to the senior Sifu(s) lets them know who all's there as they are the ones responsable for everyone in the kwoon at all times.

Chinese and Japanese Terminolgy??? "USH" or OSU" (Ouuss).... how does that happen???

Lucas
03-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Chinese and Japanese Terminolgy??? "USH" or OSU" (Ouuss).... how does that happen???

is it shaolin do?

mantis108
03-17-2008, 04:54 PM
That was very wrong of you to say. There is probably more etiquette and structure in commercial schools than non-commerical or clubs. Why on earth would you say such a thing? Half the non-com or clubs don't even call their instructor anything but their first name...

Very ingnorant comment on your part, IMHO.

That would NEVER happen in my school. Neither would such ignorance.

Listen, this is a school that's open to the public, that's commercial in nature to me. Now if you have some other definitions please enlighten me.

May be your school addresses etiquette and structure in the highest standard in that case my compliments to you. However, it doesn't change the fact that there are other "commercial" schools like this one that haven't addressed that more important issue other than superficial etiquette and structure. That kid is already on the path to bullying. North American education system's public schools in general don't enforce the discipline and morality code like they used to. I don't think parents pay good money and send their kids to martial school arts only for the discipline and morality either. Do parents look to the MA schools for teaching their kids those values? Not the majority these days. I believe they are more concern with result which means they want the medals. You haven't indicated how you would handle this case. Would you care to share you method then? Do you mean to tell me that you PERSONALLY, will take the risk of lost of income not to mention the possibility of lawsuit? Do you, or how many schools you know of, interview the kids and given them the 411 before letting them sign up?

I personally don't expect much from commercial schools but then I don't have children and I am not planning to have any in the future either. May be I am ignorant after all.

Mantis108

zapruder_bjj
03-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Saying sir and maam means nothing if the underlying respect isnt there. I personally dont require my kids to say sir or maam, but you can **** well believe that they are respectful to their elders and each other. As for the situation that was mentioned, I have a ZERO tolerance rule for disrespectful behavior, and I would have immediately removed the child from the training area, finished class, and had a talk with the parent about the possibility of the childs return to my class. (I have actually had to do this before, and ended up throwing the parent out of my class as well, apple didnt fall far from the tree there)

I grew up training TMA (Tang Soo Do) and all of that was part of the class, but I felt it detracted from the training more than it added to it. I find that respect comes from doing and has nothing to do with what you are made to say. Before anyone jumps me for that, humble respectful people dont run their mouths...in 4 words...the mat never lies.

SanHeChuan
03-17-2008, 09:20 PM

Yes because the cure for public humiliation is of course more public humiliation. That's like smacking a kid around for hitting people. Hypocrisy really sits well with the kids.

North American education system's public schools in general don't enforce the discipline and morality code like they used to. I don't think parents pay good money and send their kids to martial school arts only for the discipline and morality either. Do parents look to the MA schools for teaching their kids those values?

The only one you can expect to teach your values to your kids is yourself. Expecting it from any other source invites conflict. I'd love to teach others peoples kids values, but I don't share my values with most.

David Jamieson
03-18-2008, 06:19 AM
The methods of instilling leadership are in the lessons of how to follow orders.

in martial training, we want to produce leaders. And so, we have to first build followers and teach them the value of understanding themselves in context to the whole.

It builds identity and instills belonging to be of a uniform group that has a focus of tasks and receives instruction from a central font.

the methods that serve this thinking are relevant, but specific minutia is not. ergo we have sensei, sifu, guru, patje and so on. these are all fonts who provide source material for the drinker. You must be initiated to drink or you won't develop the pallet to properly taste what it is you are drinking. :-)
'

Becca
03-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Chinese and Japanese Terminolgy??? "USH" or OSU" (Ouuss).... how does that happen???I had noticed that.:D

I was never all that interested in asking. It might be explained you Danial Pai's claim to have been fostered at a Chinese monastary on Okinawa, though.

BoulderDawg
03-18-2008, 08:51 AM
in martial training, we want to produce leaders. And so, we have to first build followers and teach them the value of understanding themselves in context to the whole.'

Let the Boy Scouts do that. Martial Art is more personal. We learn how to deal with our inner self.

David Jamieson
03-19-2008, 05:35 AM
Let the Boy Scouts do that. Martial Art is more personal. We learn how to deal with our inner self.

it's the same path.

we are talking about children here, not adults.

children are clean slates and can be written on clearly. They are best written on with the mind of an adept and without errors in order to instill the correct tools that will allow them to guide their own path accordingly.

at least, that is the hope.

if you have a kids class you have a few things going on.

#1. You are the different kind of babysitter

#2. You are being charged with giving these kids a little discipline (mind your manners, respect you parents, listen to others, share, be good etc etc)

#3 you are saving them from becoming playstation lard asses like so many other kids out there.

#4. Martial arts are only a cursory item in the big picture at that point.

Kids have to be told what to do, have to be provided with choices before they can make a choice and so on. They are kids. they are not yet equipped with experience or knowledge and we must be careful in what we decide to equip them with because they will absorb whatever we pout out there and if what we are putting out there is a manifestation of our own ill will and incorrect behaviours, then taht is exactly what the retyurn on the investment into the child will be and you wind up with a delinquent...or maybe not,. Funny thing humans that way.

Stick with tried an dtrue methods of teaching /learning when dealing with kids. It is very possible to stand on the shoulders of giants in this area.

Tainan Mantis
03-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Thank you all for your answers. I can tell that they are based on a life time of experience.

Before this thread enters oblivion I would like to refine my question.

As an example of when an affirmative reply would be called for:

Shifu says,"Are you ready!"

Students,"Yes Sir!"

How would your class have the students reply to this type of question?

I ask these questions as I am working out how I would teach kung fu to children in America(I have taught kids in Taiwan only).

Kevin

Lucas
03-20-2008, 04:48 PM
"Are you ready?"

"Yes, Sifu/Sir."

TenTigers
03-20-2008, 05:34 PM
"are you ready?"
"Yes SIR!" At attention, in a loud, clear,strong, voice.
The way we do it, it uses techniques drawn from NLP. How you stand, the words you say, and your posture, creates a response within. If you snap to attention,say "Yes SIR!" in a clear,strong, voice, you will feel empowered.
If you have a ready position, make it also empowering.
This is not warm n fuzzy feelgood group hug type stuff. It is simply one more tool we use to help people derive the benefits of Martial Arts training.

Becca
03-21-2008, 10:45 AM
"Are your ready?"

"Ush!" usually shouted, but clear and not shrill.

bakxierboxer
03-21-2008, 01:12 PM
"Are your ready?"

"Ush!" usually shouted, but clear and not shrill.

Neat avatar.
Cheeky li'l debbil........ but why didn't you opt to use something with a bit more "action"?
(indicating a possible (p)reference to/for "goat raping")

Becca
03-21-2008, 01:34 PM
No way, not on this forum.... besides, I don't prefer goats; tha'd be RD. I didn't think anyone else here would be amused with a chip 'n dale munching on a carrot.:D

bakxierboxer
03-21-2008, 01:59 PM
No way, not on this forum.... besides, I don't prefer goats; tha'd be RD. I didn't think anyone else here would be amused with a chip 'n dale munching on a carrot.:D

??????
Why not?
After all he/she/it IS a representative of the 3M "coalition".
M(arauding)M(urdering)(chip)M(unks).......

(besides, the plaintive wails and ear-piercing shrieks of the carrot as it is being violated "added something" to our ambi/equi-valence)

Tainan Mantis
03-22-2008, 11:23 AM
If you snap to attention,say "Yes SIR!" in a clear,strong, voice, you will feel empowered.

Sounds good. Thanks to all who have posted thier opinions on the subject.

kevin

Becca
03-24-2008, 09:18 AM
??????
Why not?
After all he/she/it IS a representative of the 3M "coalition".
M(arauding)M(urdering)(chip)M(unks).......

(besides, the plaintive wails and ear-piercing shrieks of the carrot as it is being violated "added something" to our ambi/equi-valence)

I got your shrieking carrots right here....

bakxierboxer
03-24-2008, 12:32 PM
I got your shrieking carrots right here....

?????????
Right WHERE???!!!

So.... who'zat?
Zat'cher hubby out hiding in the rain from the sight of you abusing that poor carrot?

Good Gawd woman!!!
CONTROL yourself!!!
Some folks think it's a no-no to do such a thing with a "foreign object"!

Fox
03-25-2008, 06:32 AM
"are you ready?"
"Yes SIR!" At attention, in a loud, clear,strong, voice.
The way we do it, it uses techniques drawn from NLP. How you stand, the words you say, and your posture, creates a response within. If you snap to attention,say "Yes SIR!" in a clear,strong, voice, you will feel empowered.
This is not warm n fuzzy feelgood group hug type stuff. It is simply one more tool we use to help people derive the benefits of Martial Arts training.

This is how we do it at my school as well. Outside class or untill class starts , they call me Mr. Fox.

Drake
03-25-2008, 07:27 AM
This is how we do it at my school as well. Outside class or untill class starts , they call me Mr. Fox.

They called you that in the Army, too. Aren't you the least bit tired of it?

Becca
03-25-2008, 09:54 AM
?????????
Right WHERE???!!!

So.... who'zat?
Zat'cher hubby out hiding in the rain from the sight of you abusing that poor carrot?

Good Gawd woman!!!
CONTROL yourself!!!
Some folks think it's a no-no to do such a thing with a "foreign object"!

No, no, no... he's s'posed to be the one saying that. shesh.:rolleyes::p

bakxierboxer
03-25-2008, 04:11 PM
No, no, no... he's s'posed to be the one saying that. shesh.:rolleyes::p

Hmmmm......

Well, at least your priorities and roles are straight enough. :rolleyes:
Since that's the case, a few minor preference kinks are "OK". :D

Da Chuizi
03-26-2008, 08:57 AM
I agree the most with TenTigers' statement. My shifu really stresses this too. I mean, if you're sick, it's cool to be a bit more subdued in class; you don't really feel like going balls to the walls when your head is pounding and your stomach is about to let loose, lol. But if you are not physically restricted, go ahead and pound it out. Your whole demeanor should reflect this and show you take pride in yourself and your practice. Just what I think.

Dustin

Fox
03-27-2008, 06:18 PM
They called you that in the Army, too. Aren't you the least bit tired of it?

They could call me Master Fox:D, but I am not into that. I respect them and they respect me.