PDA

View Full Version : Mike Martello

Tainan Mantis
03-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Since the talk has turned to what Mike did and taught at a seminar I would like to add a few words.

I do know Mike as he stayed at my home once or twice in Taiwan. we kept in constant contact to develop a beautiful website on Eight Step.

http://www.wutang.be/babu/indexflash.html

He is one of the most dedicated MArtist I have ever met.

He travels over Asia seeking out the best teachers and training with them non stop absorbing subtle details of their teaching.

He shares this information very willingly and comes across as someone who has nothing but the best intention towards the students development.

Furthermore, he has that rare abilty to inspire students with his own fire for mastering Martial arts.

To come into contact with masters like Mike is to be invigorated with a new determination for the practice and mastering of martial arts.

Kevin

www.plumflowermantisboxing.com

German Bai Lung
03-21-2008, 12:45 AM
Thanks Kevin,

thats a very good description! And from someone like you, itīs worth a lot.

Here is my story, sorry for the sloppy english: http://wutangkungfu.blogspot.com/

You can also find some more informations about Mike Martello Sifu on that blog. Itīs from his students in belgium.

Three Harmonies
03-21-2008, 04:30 PM
I am honored I could be the medium in which you met Jochen! probably why I have not been invited back, as Mike makes me look like a special kid eating ice cream ;):D It was a great trip on many levels.
People can talk all they wish, but the simple fact remains....I do not waste my time with BS, silly secretive, unrealistic, arrogant practitioners of the arts. I will not even associate with someone who INSIST'S on me calling him/her "master" or any other silly title. I associate and surround myself with humble, open, kind, skilled players who ARE STILL LERNING THEMSELVES! These are my criteria, and Mike exceeds in just about every category!
Those who have "experienced" and like to talk need to self check themselves, because it was/is/will be there own attitude and ego that hinder their developement within the arts.
For those with open minds, Mike will be back stateside in August (no dates secured yet, but should be within a couple weeks) here in Seattle. His ONLY stop in this hemisphere! Contact me for more info.

Cheers
Jake :cool:

EarthDragon
03-21-2008, 05:51 PM
With respect My sincere apologies to all especially Mike.

I am afriad I repeated a simple comment but caused grief out here. Those of you that know me know I meant no disrespect and support the mantis community for the better part of 20 years.

I have never met Mike martello and have heard only good things about him.

I was just repeating what I had heard as an observation by another person, nothing more. But I will be the first to say I'm sorry if i offended anyone by my post.

dragonball
03-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Jake.
How can you be so ignorant and assume that all I took away from the whole seminar was a stance. And Also what's up with you complaining about spending 10 minutes out of the whole weekend teaching me a few postures of the Xing-yi. I appreciated the time you spent with me being that I was a beginner and you were more advanced. Now I'm Sorry I asked for your help. For your information I enjoyed the seminar, considering the fact that what was advertised regarding the 8 step section was not covered. As far as Mike Martello goes, he's a skillful teacher and a gentlemen because he treated me and everyone else with the utmost respect. What I told EarthDragon was taken out of context and I don't understand why he would say such things. What I said was that I was disappointed that there was not more 8step forms and applications covered. This is not a reflection on Mr.Martello, he did a great job teaching what he taught. As far as the infamous stance that EarthDragon was regarding; it was a private conversation that Mr.Martello and I had in the locker room about the 8step and it's current state of affairs. I told him that my teacher taught me his version of the 8step system which was different to the original Master Wei system and he was kind enough to show me the variation of the first movement of the 7 hands form. What I told EarthDragon was that I was disappointed that he didn't go in any further with the 7 hand form. He said that he doesn't teach the forms anymore just the fighting concepts. Due to personal reasons regarding his experience within the 8step community. Mr.Martello I apologize profusively for the inaccurate statements EarthDragon made regarding the seminar.

I've been studying, training teaching Mantis for over 30 years. If I am known to be critical or bad mouth other martial artists, I would already have that reputation. Why would I start now? What would I gain from it? Jake I'm very disappointed at how you've responded to this matter and took the opportunity to insult me. I would've expected more of you. Considering everyone I talk to in regards to you and your seminars; which I spoke of you highly. I guess I was mislead, shame on me!

Three Harmonies
03-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Not sure why everyone is double posting. See the other thread for my reaction please.
Jake

Michael Dasargo
03-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Not sure why everyone is double posting.
Jake

Hellewwwww *George Takai voice*

Sorry guys, I'm a bit caffinated. Anyway, I wanted to throw in my .02 cents on the Seattle experience:

What was advertised (8 step 12 soft principles) was not covered.

We worked on thumb locks for some time.

If you stopped reading there, then that's all that any individual would have walked away with at the seminar.

Mike is an organic teacher, and modified the lessons based on what skills each student was able to detect.

We started with template drills, then Mike followed the tradition of individualizing each students skill and ability to fulfill as much potential as each student had.

The structure of the class changed due accomadate for the diversity of skill and understanding, which to me is much more effective than a boiler plate seminar.

If we covered what was advertised, I would not have been exposed to the depth of root and ting jin that Mike the Wang family specialize in.

As an individual, Jake, Mike, and the whole crew are cool peoples. Free of titles, pretense and all "instantaneous bruising" (had to be there).

I suppose I would be dissapointed if I was craving a big mac but got an In and Out double double animal style. Still a burger, still taste great, but not quite what I was craving.

That being said, I understand if people were dissapointed.

I was taught to understand before seeking to be understood...now if I can only understand what the hell I'm talking about....

Mike D.