PDA

View Full Version : light free sparring

Satori Science
03-21-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm nursing my injured hip by sitting in the sun drinking red strip and playing with iMovie, just a taste of a little light sparring between friends,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3AhZ36sHs4Y

WinterPalm
03-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Then the guy goes and puts Immortal Technique in a sparring video.

D A M N !

diego
03-21-2008, 02:36 PM
I was just thinking about Imortal technique last week...haven't heard any of his albums, only the classic singles.:)

I love how CLF is the only style I seen use the leopard Chap Choi in sparring...Hung Ga has Leopard fist but it's not the main focus.

Vilmore
03-21-2008, 02:47 PM
I love how CLF is the only style I seen use the leopard Chap Choi in sparring...Hung Ga has Leopard fist but it's not the main focus.

Well, yes, its buck sing, it would be odd if they didn't use charp choi, wouldn't it ;)

I really enjoyed that clip satori, thanks. Thats one of the things I miss, sparring. oh well, I'll continue beating my imaginary adversaries in drills. :D

David Jamieson
03-22-2008, 05:35 AM
put gear on and penetrate.

if you train to wade, then you will not swim in deep water... :)

in my opinion, and no offense, these types of exercise outside of learning the very basic concepts have no use beyond that anbd do not represent a good foundation in tactical skill development.

You are better off, gearing up and having one guy attack full on and the other guy defend full on. then move to counters, then go free style.

free style without martial intention is a waste of time training wise in the big scheme of things.

Satori Science
03-22-2008, 07:39 AM

in my opinion, and no offense, these types of exercise outside of learning the very basic concepts have no use beyond that anbd do not represent a good foundation in tactical skill development.

You are better off, gearing up and having one guy attack full on and the other guy defend full on. then move to counters, then go free style.

free style without martial intention is a waste of time training wise in the big scheme of things.

Who says I don't put on gear?
No martial intent, Well I defer to your wisdom,

cheers,

Satori Science
03-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Well, yes, its buck sing, it would be odd if they didn't use charp choi, wouldn't it ;)

I really enjoyed that clip satori, thanks. Thats one of the things I miss, sparring. oh well, I'll continue beating my imaginary adversaries in drills. :D

Thanks man, just havin a little fun with an old buddy. Getting to interact with other martial artisits is what its all about.

One.

nospam
03-22-2008, 07:59 AM
..so, it's snowing here today.

nospam
:cool:

WinterPalm
03-22-2008, 08:30 AM
..so, it's snowing here today.

nospam

Yes, yes it is.

I suppose it's all bikinis and rum where Rob is...

Diego,
Check out Revolutionary Vol. 2. That's one of three tapes in my car that includes the Archies, and the Insaniacs (a local punk band my buddy used to front).

Satori Science
03-22-2008, 09:52 AM
sorry guys not time to talk, just stopped in the house for a minute. The family is having an easter camp out on the beach, but don't worry I'll put the picsup on my facebook;)

I think it was 31 above here today, but it was a litle cloudy this morning when I got to the beach if it makes you feel any better, like I said gotta run, the Guiness is getting warm:D

Miss ya Naya

Oh yeah check Vol. 2 its epic!

One.

David Jamieson
03-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Who says I don't put on gear?
No martial intent, Well I defer to your wisdom,

cheers,

not saying you don't.

I was talking about the video you posted, and I don't intend to offend you.

nospam
03-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Easter luau! Sounds like mucho fun, Mon. :D

Next time I see you we can actually put the gloves on and work on your martial intention! ;) Going for my ACL reconstruction end of June. Looking forward to sum lateral movement again! Just hope I don't pop a pin :eek:

Enjoying your travel log, bro - keep them coming. Especially us land locked prairie peeps. That vid with Shariff talk'n about all dem nano-bots in our blood stream inacting our chi-balls was dope!

What's up with the hip? Sounds too coincidental - suddenly you're in paradise and you're convalescing!? :p

I'm working hard on my Buddha Palm - tan ging, baby!

Anywho..

nospam

metsubushi
03-22-2008, 11:15 PM

weird. If pros trained like that, they would have two year careers.

David Jamieson
03-23-2008, 06:00 AM
weird. If pros trained like that, they would have two year careers.

ok, now you're stirring the fire for no purpose.

do you think pros train as how is shown in his video? If so, then you probably shouldn't be saying anything.

no?

when working with another person it is either drills on pads or free sparring which is gear up full contact. Light sparring has some restrain6t.

the reason for gearing up is safety and to properly be able to execute techniques and not train them constantly as "pulled", or "held back" or as many people like to call it "controlled".

so, baby steps when it comes to sparring, but intention is totally key and you cannot train correctly in the fashion as is shown in the video.

Playing tag with no gear and big stances trains nothing really worthwhile. As a learning exercise it is the front of the gate and not what's behind it in that sense. So, if presented as outside the gate approach learning stuff, sure, i can dig it. But sparring? It's not sparring. It's not even martial. It's playing about, horsing around etc etc.

WinterPalm
03-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Next time put "light free sparring" in the title so people won't get confused.:rolleyes:

metsubushi
03-23-2008, 07:09 PM
ok, now you're stirring the fire for no purpose.

do you think pros train as how is shown in his video? If so, then you probably shouldn't be saying anything..

Yes. I have seen it up close an personal. Especially when nursing injuries. Light sparring give them a place to play with ideas an work out technical concern that they later try to implement in harder sparring sessions. Also used as either warm up, or a cool down. It's far from useless. Nobody puts on the gear and goes 'all out' all out of the time. That's retarded.

Here's Anderson ilva doing some light sparring

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E77xxCf1xmY

But I guess he knows nothing huh

Here's Kaoklai:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJU2-mzc75I

David Jamieson
03-24-2008, 11:01 AM
those 2 vids don't represent anything other than the goofing about.maybe "goofing about " would have been a better title or perhaps "horseplay" ?

here:

light sparring:

MT
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dgi9Jb8Mvz8

Boxing
http://youtube.com/watch?v=S3cWCiDRWEw

Boxing again, but this time a kid v an adult!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kmBUIxRBOhw

the point of gearing up is so you can exercise Intention. Don't get your panties in a knot because my opinion of that video as "training" is contrary. i don't see it as training anything other than a rudimentary and cursory understanding.

If you train to pull punches then that is what you will do. If you train to strike out of range that is what you will do, if you train at 25% then you cannot fight at 100%.

I didn't say that all sparring was balls out, I said that even in the typical examples as I have posted, there is intention in the strikes, there is gear for safety and there is purpose.

however, you may feel free to sit outside the ring and watch and make all the guessing you like as to what it must be like to fight with someone.

I'm outtie on this one because it seems people can't understand or deal with criticism. that's cool. I've come to expect it. lol

sanjuro_ronin
03-24-2008, 11:10 AM
And here is Couture and Jackson:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cYimN742rHE&feature=related

Light sparring ( no such thing really, sparring is never full contact and never "light"), is done by NOT trying to knock the other guys block off, BUT hitting him hard enough once and awhile to make him pay for (learn from) his mistakes and openings.

WinterPalm
03-24-2008, 02:51 PM
This guy uses foam swords for his fight preperation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYogEeThfhY&eurl=http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=754039

metsubushi
03-24-2008, 03:48 PM
No **** that you make contact when you have protective gear on. That is totally besides the point as the sparring in the original video did not feature any protective gear. Unless jeans and a T-shirt in the middle of a street qualify as protective gear on your planet. Ah well. You've obviously got a lot invested in your incorrect position. I've no interest in going back and forth on the matter. Peace and chicken grease mon frère.

Satori Science
03-24-2008, 04:37 PM
I had a great retorit but the web ate it and I am lazy from to much sun,

the long and the short of it is we have different training methods, mine come from my Sifu who's fighting experience is unquestionable ( he is quite possibly the best & most experienced fighter I have met or trained with but then I'm biased) & my Di Sihing SIfu Curtis Taylor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFJUwCqHUE8
this is him 20 years ago, after which he went on to bounce professionally at an especially ruff biker bar and hold the title of gong sau champ of my family. He has "penetrated" on more that a few occasions and he and I always spar this way with bare fists.

If you disagree then Frank Shamrock says your wrong :cool:

If I trained power on my partners all the time then inevitably there would be injures and we wouldn't be able to train. Heavy power is for my opponents, the dummy the heavy bag and break dancers who look at me the wrong way in Vancouver (hey Al....)

Naya: yo man, you were moving pretty nice when I saw you last month knee or no knee (literally) Glad your stoked on the form, I haven't put any time into mine yet. I tested my Di sup jee for my 2nd degree before I left so I am FINALLY done with te beast (4 a while @ least). My plan is to work Lien Whan Jeen Kuen and if my hips and hamstrings cooperate I may put together one of my northern sets,

check crackbook D, a few pics of da beach for ya:D

WinterPalm
03-24-2008, 08:55 PM
SS, good post man!

I agree 100%

I know of one guy that will spar me full tilt with little to no regard for safety. These sessions usually lead to injuries (as does most "real" fighting).
I'm a huge fan of medium contact...it allows you to work on things and refine them and try new stuff out without the threat of getting bum-rushed. Otherwise, you go into instinct mode and do what you know...but martial arts is about cultivating and ingraining new habits, new methods, new ideologies, and fantastic new ways of moving. The adrenal environment is not the best learning environment...it is necessary to advance.
I'm a fan of the Thai fighters that spar light because they fight so often...not that I want to fight that often!

Re: Frank Shamrock. I'm not a big fan but I really liked his approach to training...he seems like a genuine martial artist which is rare in the testosterone world of MMA. That said, I'm rooting for Le...

Rob, you said you were starting a new training regiment...what's that entail?

Satori Science
03-25-2008, 04:58 AM
SS, good post man!

Rob, you said you were starting a new training regiment...what's that entail?

Well it was supposed to be going heavy 8 hours day on all the stff I don't normally hav time to train extensively becuase of work, as I am lofing it here in the west indies. But my hip is going to be a few more weeks and I pushed it a little to hard yesterday and am feeling it today.

For the time being I have decided to stick to an hour of standing, working my horse, hand conditioning & static bridge training postures. All I can safely do is static work right now, kind of a bummer but I've had a week to pout. I've got a lot of good stuff coming u this summer, just need to stay in the right frame of mind, stay focused but let myself heal.

Found out the other day from my brother that I'm doing a demo @ Sifu Derrick Johnson's Jow Ga tourny in June:D

& I just spoke to my Buddhism Laoshi in China this morning, he's back in NYC for the summer and were gonna hook up, I get to be his assistant instructor at the Chan San Feng in the DC area (he's doing seminar on Sun Style I think) & he wants to take me back to China with him in July, he said he's gonna introduce me to Jet Li's Tong Bei teacher (yes!)

SiMui
03-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Satori, how on earth did you get so connected world wide? Inquiring minds want to know...

Nice vid of Curtis, by the way.

Satori Science
03-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Satori, how on earth did you get so connected world wide? Inquiring minds want to know...

Nice vid of Curtis, by the way.

Yeah that vid is a classic, I only have one other of him fighting but is against Sifu Robert so his manners were a lot better;) I actually have one of Russ and Naya fighting that I will give him at some point. The quality is way to grainy to post it though....

As far as getting hooked up,
I suppose I have been fairly blessed, and have a really big mouth and am pretty friendly. I always think meeting my Sifu was my biggest blessing. Our lineage's reputations has defiantly opened a lot of doors. I'm pretty OK @ kung fu, that helps.

did that invite on youtube work?

SiMui
03-25-2008, 05:58 PM
yep, the invite came through, but still couldn't see the video. ah well. Thanks for the effort. Hopefully I'll catch the next one. You've got a great library uploaded already. :)