PDA

View Full Version : Scientific Iron Palm Study?

IronWeasel
03-23-2008, 08:36 PM
I am looking into beginning my Iron Palm training soon.

Many here have asked for objective reviews or evidence, of IP's effectiveness.

Sanjuro Ronin had an X-ray before and after done, which was excellent.

I could do the same, or maybe have a nerve conductivity test done to detect damage, if any.

Just looking for some input so I can draw a baseline before I begin.

sanjuro_ronin
03-24-2008, 04:49 AM
If I was to start over and conduct a study I would do the following:

X-ray before, at the 100 day mark, the 1 year and the 2 years mark.
There is a device that building inspectors use to test the foundation and the density of concrete, it a pressure gauge and it is used by pressing it against a surface and it gives a read out, I would do that on my right and left to compare, again at the beginning, 100 day, 1 year and 2 year mark.

And impact test would be cool too, but there are too many variables, unless you can make it as close to a "dead hang drop" as possible.

David Jamieson
03-24-2008, 06:13 AM
The x ray is a good idea. and fairly cheap. It's what, 100 bucks for an xray? free in canada if you tell them you think you might have something broken. lol

seriously though, you will see a difference in bone density, tissue density and neuralgic dissipation and skin toughness.

after you xray, go to a hardware store and buy a good construction brick. 99 cents for a decent one (white stone), about 50 cents for a red one, not so bad. try and break it with one shot on a flat surface (no levered edge)

if you can't break it, leave it and continue practice.

when you have finished the cycle, try the brick again and get the follow up xray (free in canada but go to a different hospital this time! lol)

I can almost guarantee that iof you did the cycle diligently and you were correct in the method, the next time you whack that brick on the floor, you will shatter it on the first go.

David Jamieson
03-24-2008, 10:25 AM
wtf? spam in the threads?

~G! alert the IT goon squad that you are getting spam in here! lol

GeneChing
03-24-2008, 11:27 AM
diegoqing is no more.

This isn't quite iron palm (http://www.todaysbigthing.com/2008/02/19), but it's worth a gander.

Steve Hamp
03-27-2008, 03:13 PM
This isn't quite iron palm (http://www.todaysbigthing.com/2008/02/19), but it's worth a gander.

That was pretty cool to watch. Perhaps he should slap with the palm instead of "karate chopping".

--Steve

David Jamieson
03-27-2008, 03:57 PM
lol @ "karate is kinda gross"

sanjuro_ronin
03-28-2008, 04:41 AM
Hey, I posted that video already, *******s !!
:mad:

sanjuro_ronin
03-28-2008, 05:07 AM
Brute force and "hard hands" is really all that is need to break something, though that break on that clip was way cool, good size chunk of concrete too.

I like the clips that show very little effort on the part of the breaker, like the Chinese "mutant hand" IP guy on youtube, he basically drops his hand and BAM !

In my personal view, that is "real" IP, a relaxed "drop" of the hand, no wind up and no "powering through", just a nice solid drop.

GeneChing
03-28-2008, 10:31 AM
I missed your earlier post. Which thread was it on?

I really just chimed in to ban that spammer. Some one sent me that vid that morning, so it seemed timely to drop it in here.

IronWeasel
05-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Bumpity...

So, I had my hand X-rayed today.

Now I'm off to hit the bag. (The one with steel shot, not the wife...)

Samurai Jack
05-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Would you mind taking before and after photos too? Perhaps take a traceing paper outline also? Many people seem to have an actual increase in the size of thier hands, and it'd be cool to measure that too.

IronWeasel
05-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Would you mind taking before and after photos too? Perhaps take a traceing paper outline also? Many people seem to have an actual increase in the size of thier hands, and it'd be cool to measure that too.

Sure.

Maybe I'll shoot it against a ruler, or maybe graph paper as a background for reference.

stonewarrior67
05-22-2008, 08:59 PM
how bout shut'n yer cake hole and training?

btw too late to call...saturdays no good, have to go in to work...sorry

sanjuro_ronin
05-23-2008, 04:32 AM
My last IP break I got on video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-EUdSIqWNo

cjurakpt
05-23-2008, 05:57 AM
My last IP break I got on video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-EUdSIqWNo

not bad for "kickboxer" :p

sanjuro_ronin
05-23-2008, 05:58 AM

LMAO !!
:D

Trouble maker !

Dale Dugas
05-23-2008, 08:46 AM
I will also be doing some more breaking tomorrow and will be posting vids on my youtube account.

Great break brother!

sanjuro_ronin
05-23-2008, 08:50 AM
I will also be doing some more breaking tomorrow and will be posting vids on my youtube account.

Great break brother!

Thanks dude, means a lot coming from you.
Your jow is, as always, top notch and an invaluable aid.
The hardest part is NOT hitting hard !
I really just try to "drop" the hand and not force it in any way.
Little by little.

IronWeasel
05-23-2008, 10:14 AM
how bout shut'n yer cake hole and training?

btw too late to call...saturdays no good, have to go in to work...sorry

Jeez...what a grouchy old man..

Well, just think that while you're working hard, I'll be knee deep in belgian waffles and bacon!!

David Jamieson
05-23-2008, 10:31 AM
a discovery channle guy debunked the mystery of breaking by dropping his arm through 5 slabs of concrete with zero training.

His only tool was applied physics. It was cool.

so, breaking is not a big deal to me, but IP is a whole lot more than just breaking, same with any iron training.

It's not that you can break things, it's more that things won't break you so easily. :)

sanjuro_ronin
05-23-2008, 11:01 AM
a discovery channle guy debunked the mystery of breaking by dropping his arm through 5 slabs of concrete with zero training.

His only tool was applied physics. It was cool.

so, breaking is not a big deal to me, but IP is a whole lot more than just breaking, same with any iron training.

It's not that you can break things, it's more that things won't break you so easily. :)

First off, don't hold too much stock on the discovery channel, remember the crap that have brought us before?
Its has always been applied physics, that is a given, everything we do can be explained by physics and biomechanics.
I have been doing IP for 2 years and this was the first time I treid to break anything, though I have done breaking before, heck I am from Kyokushin and TKD, breaking is like stretching !
LOL

With IP it takes quite a bit of less effort , a more relaxed break if you will.

jdhowland
05-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Sure.

Maybe I'll shoot it against a ruler, or maybe graph paper as a background for reference.

Try a copy machine with the density setting on "light." If you trace the image onto mylar or tracing paper with a dark outline you'll be able to overlay two images on a window or light table to see the dimensional changes.

jd

IronWeasel
05-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Try a copy machine with the density setting on "light." If you trace the image onto mylar or tracing paper with a dark outline you'll be able to overlay two images on a window or light table to see the dimensional changes.

jd

Roger that.

sanjuro_ronin
05-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Hey IW, what program are you gonna follow?

IronWeasel
05-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Hey IW, what program are you gonna follow?

The one from GM Chicoine.

sanjuro_ronin
05-23-2008, 11:33 AM
The one from GM Chicoine.

Good man.

cjurakpt
05-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Its has always been applied physics, that is a given, everything we do can be explained by physics and biomechanics.

now who's the trouble maker? :D

sanjuro_ronin
05-23-2008, 11:47 AM
now who's the trouble maker? :D

Moi ??
Whatever do you mean ?? ;)

stonewarrior67
05-23-2008, 08:36 PM
did anyone else catch sanjuro ronins other videos? i had to laugh as the poor guy is trying to work out and there's his mutt licking up something on the floor next to him and then one of his kids rolls a red ball in front of him...i had to laugh as i know how it goes

weasel, i hope you choke on your waffles........... =-)

Dale Dugas
05-24-2008, 04:08 AM
Being petless and kidless is a dream sometimes.

David Jamieson
05-24-2008, 04:52 AM
well, my kid is in his twenties and lives with his pals, so, I don't have sanjuro's interference factors. lol

but, i have a cat that loves to get in the way, and a dog who will occasionally try and whip out a quick dump on the floor.

so, it is a similar thing, but not with the constancy of ankle biters or anything like that. lol

IronWeasel
05-24-2008, 08:40 AM

Well, if I'm gonna die, that's one of the better ways to go.

They'll find me with a waffle in my mouth and a stripper on my lap!

(Or vice versa...)

IronWeasel
05-24-2008, 08:47 AM
did anyone else catch sanjuro ronins other videos? i had to laugh as the poor guy is trying to work out and there's his mutt licking up something on the floor next to him and then one of his kids rolls a red ball in front of him...i had to laugh as i know how it goes

Yeah...that red ball rolls by and he doesn't even flinch...he's totally focused!

I probably would have stepped on it fell on my nog'n.

We need a reality show of Ronin's house. He's just trying to train and there's all this M-TV kind of drama going on...

We'll throw in the folks from Little People Big World, and Flavor Flave...let's see if THAT will distract him.

Dale Dugas
05-25-2008, 01:45 PM
I broke more today and filmed it all and put it up on Youtube.

The vid in the link was supposed to be me breaking only the bottom brick. But I used way to much power and intent and went through the two blocks.

Enjoy!

Iron Palm Breaks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6YALjNhtQA)

HardWork8
05-25-2008, 07:35 PM

Not bad indeed. It must be the Kyokushinkai shining through the kickboxing, eh!;)

sanjuro_ronin
05-26-2008, 04:24 AM

I look at them as "environmental distractions", you never know when, in the REAL WORLD, someone throws a ball at you or a dog looks at you all unimpressed and bored.
That **** can screw you up bad man !!

sanjuro_ronin
05-26-2008, 04:26 AM
I broke more today and filmed it all and put it up on Youtube.

The vid in the link was supposed to be me breaking only the bottom brick. But I used way to much power and intent and went through the two blocks.

Enjoy!

Iron Palm Breaks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6YALjNhtQA)

Too much chi bro !

sanjuro_ronin
05-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Yeah...that red ball rolls by and he doesn't even flinch...he's totally focused!

I probably would have stepped on it fell on my nog'n.

We need a reality show of Ronin's house. He's just trying to train and there's all this M-TV kind of drama going on...

We'll throw in the folks from Little People Big World, and Flavor Flave...let's see if THAT will distract him.

Ah dude you don't know the half of it, every so often she grabs her little baseball bat and smacks me with it when I am doing the IW or Sanchin, because she has seen me do it when I am conditioning myself.
Other times she grabs my training knives and "cuts me" when I am doing something, the little ninja !