PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice.....

echoes
03-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Hello all. I am seeking a knowledgable teacher/school in upstate new york to learn the art of taichi and kung fu.

I have been considering this for a long time and am quite motivated, but a bit hesitant to invest my time and money into just picking out a teacher/school, i know nothing about.

The internal part is extremely important to me as well as, of course, form. I am also considering buying some tapes, but there are soooo many, that i cannot decide.

The closest teacher to me is Grandmaster Jiang Jian-Ye, whose considered, but want to keep an opened mind as to others, as well. Any comments or suggestions/recommendations (including teacher/school, instructional tapes, or anything else i should consider) would be so greatly appreciated..........Thank you and have a good day :)

echoes
03-24-2008, 04:53 PM
P.S.: I am new to this forum and am wondering if i posted this in the appropriate area. If so, thanks in advance....if not, please, forgive.

Liz

eomonroe00
03-24-2008, 05:30 PM
http://iliqchuan.com/

this man is truly unique, sifu sam chin, he holds class monday night in rye ny, and mon and sat in pleasant valley

i go to his class once a month on long island and everyone there is over 40 and they all have multiple black belts, and that fact, that these martial artists with much experience all train with sifu chin speaks for itself

ngokfei
03-24-2008, 05:36 PM
the Tai Chi section would be your best bet

Also try checking out this forum that specializes in the Internal Arts

http://emptyflower.net

echoes
03-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks so much for your suggestions.

It seems that i shall be able to gather all kinds of good info. from emptyflower.net and will continue exploring taiji forums, as well.

Also, thanks for recommending Sifu Sam Chin. He is someone that really appeals to what I am looking for. (I only wish i lived closer).

I understand Grandmaster Jianye Jiang is very good at form, but i am not sure (from what i have heard/gathered) how much he incorporates the internal; philosophical aspect of the art, which i really think i could benefit from.

I would think, given his title of Grandmaster, that he would focus on such, but am not sure.....Anyway, thanks again.

echoes
03-25-2008, 06:05 AM
I am curious to know how to go about whether a teacher/school is highly focused on the internal/philosophical part of martial arts. Is it something you ask??

Please understand that i am new to this and am just trying to learn more about what i am seeking.

Is this something that is guided by the instructor when learning form or does it somehow come to you?

How does one acquire the guidance of the internal/philosophical aspect of what i am trying for? I am also very curious to learn form as well as their applications, and the physical challanges it requires.

In other words, shall i attempt this all through learning martial arts as well as, look for a monk? I hope i am not asking for too much at once.

Thanks alot.

Drake
03-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Wait a minute.... are you a hippie?

echoes
03-25-2008, 06:20 AM
Now i am REALLY freaked out!! (ha)

I think i will just continue in my little commune and just ponder over all of this.....:)

echoes
03-25-2008, 06:26 AM
......and listen to Dylan:):)

Drake
03-25-2008, 07:16 AM
......and listen to Dylan:):)

Dylan is yuppie now. Coldplay is hippie now. :eek::D

ngokfei
03-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Echo

There are many books out there that will give you a heads up on the internal/philosophical and historical aspects of Tai Chi.

If you do your homework you'll quickly know if a potential teacher has the goods.

That being said, you'll probably be training for at least 5 years before personal attention or customization will be aimed at you by the instructor.

Also be prepared for the "Text Book Master". They've done all the research for you but they themselves haven't attained the skill they are trying to teach.

Hit and miss. Be prepared to have many teachers on your journey.

peace

echoes
03-25-2008, 09:25 AM
cool...thanks alot - :)