PDA

View Full Version : New Gym Blues

Vash
03-26-2008, 03:42 PM
So yeah, my old gym sold.

The gym was originally built for our karate school, with the gym supporting it. Stayed that way for getting on four or five years. All good things, eh? Anyway, the gym is selling to the church next door. We get to keep our karate room, but the doors ain't open during the day. So, I had to find a new place to bang in the morning.

Six days a week, I'm doing karate. Four of those days are full-on training sessions, two of them are 30-45 minutes of basics, kata, and mobility drills, with about 40-50 minutes of high-intensity weight training. Found a nice used-to-be-a-dungeon-gym-like-a-week-ago place, with a few open cardio rooms. They offer boxing, karate, and in the future, jiu jitsu. Wait . . .

They have karate with a group of people who used to associate with our school, but with whom we've fallen out over the years. So, I'm going to be doing karate in another school's dojo whilst not a student of it's instructors. Great. At least they won't have classes going on while I'm there. That'd be awkward.

Anyone else had to change gyms/training venues recently?

Pork Chop
03-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Started goin to a new muay thai gym here about a month ago.
Hadn't really been training full out since around september.
Have had to earn my stripes all over again the past month.

What makes it harder is the fact that I'm not in a position to go as often as I used to; I don't want to go back to being that guy who does nothing but train - letting everything else in his life slip.
Trying to settle into a school that you only hit up a couple times a week isn't so easy.
On top of all that, this school does some crazy shin bangin.
My instructors before were always about consistency, using the bag daily to toughen up your legs.
This school has a lot of shin on shin action, which I may have to cut back on - if I ever want to up my frequency.

Dang near broke my right leg last night.
Came home with a golf ball just above my right inner-ankle.
Rubbing it out was murder.
Also seems I gave myself frost bite from the ice pack too - skin looks kinda rashy.

Like the gym overall; just going to have to find my pace.
I think you'll eventually find your pace as well.
Just don't give up.

Vash
03-26-2008, 05:41 PM
never been an option.

I'm looking forward to my transition, just worried about possible tension with the karate guys who rent the room, and don't want to give my instructor the impression that I'm "switching camps."

I just need a place to sweat two hours a day.

Pork Chop,

What's your training schedule like anymore? I seem to remember (what I think was) one of your old blogs. Very high-frequency, high-intensity.

I'm lucky in that I have plenty of time for a lot of training, while still having a social and workable life. I rent a spare room from family (I'm secondary health care for three of my immediate relatives), which is hell-and-gone from civilization, but centrally located, letting me get everything I need done.

Oso
03-26-2008, 07:25 PM
yea, shut down my operation and moved back in to a gym

the space is nice (see pic) but we've been bumped once already due to some lame ass zumba ****.

however, I did work a deal that let's me use the gym so I'm back in basic training again:

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=850245#post850245

Pork Chop
03-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Didn't mean to accuse you of wanting to give up; just trying to offer some encouragement to abide until you hit your stride.

As far as the other karate school goes, if you work hard at what you do, they should respect you and if anything I would guess that they'd try to talk you into joining.
Otherwise, I don't see any reason you should have any problems if you're respectful & keep to yourself.
Just let your current instructor know your situation and where your heart is.

After a rough year in 2006, a lot of last year was just spent getting my head together - getting my personal life back on some sort of track.
That's been my priority, so that's why I haven't been in a rush to get back to training full time.

On the other hand, I'm 'bout to start up another blog next week.
In truth, I've been in and out of the gym since december.
Started working with a personal trainer, which turned out to be kind of a flop.
Then i tried to do my own thing, and that didn't really work out either.
So then i found a really good book and I've been working my way through that the past month.

I wanted to make sure I could make it through the first phase of this new book & stick to it before I started blogging on the experience.
Like I said before, I've also been hitting the kickboxing for the past month as well.

My routine at the moment is 2 times a week kickboxing, 2 times a week at the gym for fitness stuff - barring injuries or unforeseen interruptions (last week my folks were in town so it was 2 times kickboxing, 1 time gold's).

My weight routine at this phase of the program is pretty light & easy (new phase starts next week).
The kickboxing is a bit rough on the body, but only moderate in intensity - not quite the heart attack that the Fort Worth gym was.

All in all, even if I work up to what I'm planning, I still may be a far cry from the old days of 5 kickboxing days, 3 weight training days like before. And you know what? I don't really mind. :)

Life's going pretty good.
I'm very thankful that I've been able to come as far as I have from where I was.
My head's on straight and my priorities are lined up; so whatever else I'm able to accomplish is icing on the cake.
At the moment, I even live less than 2 miles from work, gold's gym, AND the muay thai gym.

EDIT: Post 2000, do I get anything? like a got qi chick?

sanjuro_ronin
03-27-2008, 04:35 AM
Didn't mean to accuse you of wanting to give up; just trying to offer some encouragement to abide until you hit your stride.

As far as the other karate school goes, if you work hard at what you do, they should respect you and if anything I would guess that they'd try to talk you into joining.
Otherwise, I don't see any reason you should have any problems if you're respectful & keep to yourself.
Just let your current instructor know your situation and where your heart is.

After a rough year in 2006, a lot of last year was just spent getting my head together - getting my personal life back on some sort of track.
That's been my priority, so that's why I haven't been in a rush to get back to training full time.

On the other hand, I'm 'bout to start up another blog next week.
In truth, I've been in and out of the gym since december.
Started working with a personal trainer, which turned out to be kind of a flop.
Then i tried to do my own thing, and that didn't really work out either.
So then i found a really good book and I've been working my way through that the past month.

I wanted to make sure I could make it through the first phase of this new book & stick to it before I started blogging on the experience.
Like I said before, I've also been hitting the kickboxing for the past month as well.

My routine at the moment is 2 times a week kickboxing, 2 times a week at the gym for fitness stuff - barring injuries or unforeseen interruptions (last week my folks were in town so it was 2 times kickboxing, 1 time gold's).

My weight routine at this phase of the program is pretty light & easy (new phase starts next week).
The kickboxing is a bit rough on the body, but only moderate in intensity - not quite the heart attack that the Fort Worth gym was.

All in all, even if I work up to what I'm planning, I still may be a far cry from the old days of 5 kickboxing days, 3 weight training days like before. And you know what? I don't really mind. :)

Life's going pretty good.
I'm very thankful that I've been able to come as far as I have from where I was.
My head's on straight and my priorities are lined up; so whatever else I'm able to accomplish is icing on the cake.
At the moment, I even live less than 2 miles from work, gold's gym, AND the muay thai gym.

Here you go bro:

Oso
03-27-2008, 04:41 AM

you only do 2 posts: your first and your last. all the others just don't count.

Pork Chop
03-27-2008, 07:13 AM
Here you go bro:

AWESOMENESS :)
A sanjuro_ronin chick of my very own!
Thanks man

you only do 2 posts: your first and your last. all the others just don't count.

awwww :(
on a side note, think i'm gonna start home brewing this summer or next fall.
hope the price of hops goes down....

xcakid
03-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Here you go bro:

Thx for sharing the pic. I have been looking for a new desktop image on my cellphone. :D

Oso
03-27-2008, 11:26 AM
AWESOMENESS :)
A sanjuro_ronin chick of my very own!
Thanks man

awwww :(
on a side note, think i'm gonna start home brewing this summer or next fall.
hope the price of hops goes down....

sorry, new rules.

as soon as I get my taxes done, go to a tourney in april and one in may, get the basement cleaned and organized from where I dumped all the crap from my school....i'm going to do some homebrew as well. I want to make a wee heavy/porter type thing that hits at about 7% and is slightly sweet but with a clean finish.

you can try using other stuff instead of hops. they were a relatively recent addition to beer making as I understand it.

Pork Chop
03-27-2008, 02:46 PM
you can try using other stuff instead of hops. they were a relatively recent addition to beer making as I understand it.

I *believe* the guys at work are just getting pre-mixed recipes and are just brewing those; as I don't hear of them experimenting with different ingredients to see what flavors they produce.
Instead, I think they're just seeing how well they can execute certain recipes; coz when i started talking to them about experimenting with flavors to see what they could get, they gave me this weird look and seemed to explain that it was just a bag of such and such that you just picked up from the brewing supply store.

My old coworker from fort worth, on the other hand, was all about searching out different recipes and experimenting with his own.

I think i'd like to be more like the second category.

I'll probably end up making it in my spare bathroom though- will need some kinda AC unit probly.

Oso
03-27-2008, 02:57 PM
yea, a lot of folks do the mixes and most semi-pro's I know here recommend starting there so you can learn the basics and then branch out.

I've collected several books over the years and have 3 which include some old recipes from 'the olde country' I want to get to eventually.

I've already got a spare fridge...a buddy of mine drilled holes in the side, installed taps and removed the shelves for the kegs. I tripped the first time I went in to his beer basement and he grabbed a pint glass off the shelf and tapped the fridge!

ngokfei
03-27-2008, 03:44 PM
oso

Now that's a nice space (compared to where I started out and still am:D)

But nothing beats having your own space, no rules.

Oso
03-27-2008, 04:15 PM
thanks, so far it's pretty good training space. we're still sparring on a 16x16 floor when we put it down but I could do 20x20 between the poles w/ a bit of room to spare.

actually, having been there and done both, I'll deal with the sometime inconveniance of living in someone elses space and not have the stress of making rent and utilities.

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-28-2008, 04:39 AM
So yeah, my old gym sold.

They have karate with a group of people who used to associate with our school, but with whom we've fallen out over the years. So, I'm going to be doing karate in another school's dojo whilst not a student of it's instructors. Great. At least they won't have classes going on while I'm there. That'd be awkward.

i think you should just start teaching the other class. if the current teacher says anything, tell him you don know what his deal is, but your calling the cops if he keeps it up.

Vash
03-29-2008, 09:01 AM
i think you should just start teaching the other class. if the current teacher says anything, tell him you don know what his deal is, but your calling the cops if he keeps it up.

That would certainly confuse the **** out of him.

Vash
03-29-2008, 09:04 AM
srsly.

There are two chin-up bars. One has a three-inch clearance (it's a dip station with a chin-up bar precariously screwed into the top. I don't think it would support my 185# of corpulence), the other has a 2.5' wide clearance, and no cambered grip. Cambered bars are the ONLY thing I can do chins on, as my left elbow has no ulnar-radial joint, and therefore can't fold open/closed like my right elbow.

AND, the cable stack has a MAX of 150lbs. I crunch with a minimum of 180. ******.

I'm looking at the big, shiny gym my mother goes to. I might end up with two memberships: one for karate (33 a month), one for weights (45 a month).

Srsly.

Oso
03-29-2008, 11:49 AM
That would certainly confuse the **** out of him.

or you could start a zumba class.